[WIP] Coatl Aerospace ProbesPlus Dev Thread [Beta] 10/19/2020 (1.8-1.10)

akron

8 minutes ago, Aluminator said:

Fans, grills, antenna's, science modules, WE WANT MORE!!!!! Your parts are wonderfull and make my probes so awesome. Thanks.

I am very glad you like them! There are a lot more coming, check out the planned parts in the OP, or the Github Wiki. I'm gonna work on a new bus next, probably my Russian stuff, or maybe Cassini. Juno? ExoMars?  Rosetta?

oQNDfcv.png

BETA 0.14.1 has been released!

Now compatible with KSP 1.2

Download:

Download-Github-brightgreen.png

Download-Dropbox-blue.png

Download-Spacedock-lightgrey.png

Changelog

Beta 0.14.1

New Parts!
    ==Antenna==
    *CA-AD1-R Small Folding Relay Antenna (Early Tech Relay)

==Propulsion==
    *CA-MV04 MonoProp Engine (Inspired by Mariner)

==Thermal==
    *CA-TCL4/CA-TCL4-B/CA-TCL8 Three Thermal Louver sizes (Inspired by Mariner and Voyager)

Updates:

- Updated Modules for appropriate parts to match 1.2 stock
- Added KerbNET access to applicable parts
- Added 13 Part Upgrade nodes and setup several parts to be upgradeable
- Updated antenna stats for the new antenna system
    * Some weight reductions done
- Updated part categories
- Moved Thermometer and Barometer to earlier tech nodes to match stock changes
- Fixed issue in Propulsion specular texture
- Fixed some RCS FX offset
- Removed AntennaRange support (Mod no longer updating)
- Monopropellant bottle research cost reduced and moved to General Rocketry
- Corrected some spelling errors in part text

-Updated the included Firespitter and DMagicScienceAnimate DLLs to latest versions
-Added config Support for EngineerRedux and MechJeb2

Cheers! As always, I welcome your feedback!

Edited by akron

3 minutes ago, VenomousRequiem said:

Did you update the RCS ports to the new system :^)

I think some. The new system is not all it's hyped to be. The sprites are too large for some of my parts and the Module FX refused to accept the offset to line up with the nozzles. Most/all will remain in the old system.

Edited by akron

Just tried some of the upgrades, and it looks like the mass reduction isn't working properly. It seems to be adding the reduced mass to the base mass instead of replacing it. Same with the cost change, adding instead of replacing.

6 hours ago, GERULA said:

wonderfull mod

Thanks! Let me know if you have ideas on making it better

15 minutes ago, Rodger said:

Just tried some of the upgrades, and it looks like the mass reduction isn't working properly. It seems to be adding the reduced mass to the base mass instead of replacing it. Same with the cost change, adding instead of replacing.

Uh oh. I will look into this. Thanks

12 hours ago, Rodger said:

I tried a number of things and nothing worked. I will be temporarily disabling all of those upgrades until this is solved. I think it may be a KSP bug. In the meantime, there is a quick 0.14.2 patch pushed to the Github repo to handle this and some physics issues. I also packaged this one to a zip.

ProbesPlus_BETA_0.14.2-test

Please give me your feedback on it and I'll push it as an official patch

Beautiful pack! One question, though: since the "shroud" support trusses are enabled/disabled through tweakable, what's the point of having two stack nodes so close together on Torekka dish (especially when allowStack is set to 0, so only one of these nodes is ever used)?

Oh, another thing. I suppose you're using ModuleJettison just to _show_ the trusses, not to really jettison them, so it may be a good idea to add "hideJettisonMenu = True" there to hide "jettison shroud" button in part menu in flight.

Edited by J.Random

2 minutes ago, J.Random said:

Beautiful pack! One question, though: since the "shroud" support trusses are enabled/disabled through tweakable, what's the point of having two stack nodes so close together on Torekka dish?

I think it was just so you could hide the top part of the Torekka probe core inside the dish base. I don't remember. It was one of my earlier parts so it's just as likely a poor design choice. :P

Thank you!

3 minutes ago, legoclone09 said:

I don't know why I never have installed this. I'm some sort of traitor. I deserve to be burnt at the stake or something.

:o 

delete yourself

Glad you finally got around to it. Post some feedback/thoughts and screenshots.

I have been caught out by a Module Manager and MechJeb interaction, unexpected behaviour rather than actual breakage, but the Probes Plus mod was involved.

Essentially, there are two different forms of the MechJebCore module.

1: The "Free" type

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleCommand],!MODULE[MechJebCore]]:Final
{    
    MODULE
    {
        name = MechJebCore
    }
}

2: The "Career" type

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleCommand],!MODULE[MechJebCore]]:Final
{    
    MODULE
	{
	name = MechJebCore
		MechJebLocalSettings 
		{
			MechJebModuleCustomWindowEditor { unlockTechs = flightControl }
			MechJebModuleSmartASS { unlockTechs = flightControl }
			MechJebModuleManeuverPlanner { unlockTechs = advFlightControl }
			MechJebModuleNodeEditor { unlockTechs = advFlightControl }
			MechJebModuleTranslatron { unlockTechs = advFlightControl }
			MechJebModuleWarpHelper { unlockTechs = advFlightControl }
			MechJebModuleAttitudeAdjustment { unlockTechs = advFlightControl }
			MechJebModuleThrustWindow { unlockTechs = advFlightControl }
			MechJebModuleRCSBalancerWindow { unlockTechs = advFlightControl }
			MechJebModuleRoverWindow { unlockTechs = fieldScience }
			MechJebModuleAscentGuidance { unlockTechs = unmannedTech }
			MechJebModuleLandingGuidance { unlockTechs = unmannedTech }
			MechJebModuleSpaceplaneGuidance { unlockTechs = unmannedTech }
			MechJebModuleDockingGuidance { unlockTechs = advUnmanned }
			MechJebModuleRendezvousAutopilotWindow { unlockTechs = advUnmanned }
			MechJebModuleRendezvousGuidance { unlockTechs = advUnmanned }
		}
	}
}

If you have command modules with both types of coding in the game, they all use the unlockTech switches to control access to MechJeb functions. and the "career" form is what the Probes Plus mod inserts into its probe cores.

I am not sure if this will continue into the formal release of MechJeb2 for KSP v1.2

I am finding that the MechJeb2 radial pods also need modifying to the "free" form of the code, and currently you need to attach a pod to get any MechJeb function in Science or Career modes. I have also deleted the "switch" parts, which show in the Tech Tree, from the part.cfg for the AR202

The key data for this is in the GameData/Coatl Aerospace/Compatibility/MechJeb-Engineer.cfg file. If the user wants to use the "free" MechJeb, no tech-level switching, they need to remove all the MechJebLocalSettings sub-modules

I am not sure I have found the best solution, but this is working for me. If the MechJeb button shows, you may still have the Tech switching; check you have access to the modules you want.

It may be better if the MechJeb and KER sections are in distinct files. I think it might be possible to not change an pre-existing MechJebCore. You use the control line of this form.

@PART[barquetta]:NEEDS[MechJeb2]

Would this work?

@PART[barquetta]:NEEDS[MechJeb2]:HAS[!MODULE[MechJebCore]]:Final

I'm not sure. The code for the "free" MechJeb may need a different priority flag. If I am reading the Module Manager docs right, it may be necessary to change the folder-name from "Coatl Aerospace" to "CoatlAerospace", but that would give you the option to select for all parts with a particular module in your Mod. (OK, MM ignores spaces in its own command lines, but does that mean it ignores spaces in folder-names when it uses them as a Mod ID when there isn't a .dll?)

I am thinking of changing the MM patch for the "free" MechJeb so it nukes any pre-existing MechJebCore. There looks to be a way of deleting an existing module, but I am getting confused. I am pretty sure MechJeb is applying the most restrictive version of the tech-switching it sees, but I could easily be wrong about the more detailed working of Module Manager.

Hi together, I try to use the CA-AACS on a CA06-"Quetzal" and thought I should no have more then the basic stabilizer available.
But when enabling SAS i still have only the SAS capability of the probeat hand, no prograde/retrograde or any other option.

Reading the description I can't identify whether I use it wrong or whether something is wrong. I use the current version downloaded via ckan.(ProbesPlus-BETA_0.14.1)

Any hint/help/recommendation is highly appreciated!

6 hours ago, Wolf Baginski said:

I have been caught out by a Module Manager and MechJeb interaction, unexpected behaviour rather than actual breakage, but the Probes Plus mod was involved.

*snip*

Wow, that's a meaty post. I am a bit confused though, is MechJeb not working? Is there something wrong with the modules I added to my parts? I took reference to another MechJeb MM config and that is how it was syntaxed. I'd be happy to test it on my end too, but I can't figure out what the unexpected behavior is. Thanks for the thorough post!

9 minutes ago, Lechdan1983 said:

Hi together, I try to use the CA-AACS on a CA06-"Quetzal" and thought I should no have more then the basic stabilizer available.
But when enabling SAS i still have only the SAS capability of the probeat hand, no prograde/retrograde or any other option.

Reading the description I can't identify whether I use it wrong or whether something is wrong. I use the current version downloaded via ckan.(ProbesPlus-BETA_0.14.1)

Any hint/help/recommendation is highly appreciated!

I thought I saw a Github pull request not too long ago about these missing a "standalone = true" tag. It's probably nothing on your end and an issue with my config. Let me do some testing. These parts have been in the mod for a while though, so I am not sure why this problem popped up just now. It may be something with KSP 1.2 as well. Thanks for reporting it! 

3 hours ago, Virtualgenius said:

Hi was wondering if you wouldn't mind posting up your craft files for the various examples you have made 

Sure. I'll get something together. Just gotta clean them up and make sure I'm not using parts from other mods (Other than DMOS).