[WIP] Coatl Aerospace ProbesPlus Dev Thread [Beta] 10/19/2020 (1.8-1.10)

akron

Just now, akron said:

Ok, let me know. I'd be interested to see if deleting the folder before installing does anything. This is the recommended way to install mod updates, specially for in-development mods like mine where folder names and order can change between releases along with any number of part and mu changes.

im delteting the folder before updates every time. as expected, deleting realplume did nothing whatsoever.

what if i switched models to an engine that does not have the problem? that would allow us to determine wether its the .cfg or the model thats screwing this up, would it not?

5 minutes ago, toric5 said:

im delteting the folder before updates every time. as expected, deleting realplume did nothing whatsoever.

what if i switched models to an engine that does not have the problem? that would allow us to determine wether its the .cfg or the model thats screwing this up, would it not?

I think the Trident engine has a similar origin. Try it with that one

just tried ti with the jib. the problem followed the model, not the cfg. ill try with the trident as well.

followed the model again when transposed with the trident. made a github issue for this, we can stop taking up entire pages of this thread...

36 minutes ago, MaverickSawyer said:

Offset center of the model, perhaps? Or, is there something in the model that determines where the CoM for the engine is?

So, you're still seeing a problem with it as well?

Edited by akron

Sorry it took me to the weekend to get to it but I just got a chance to check it and I see zero problems or torque...

Spoiler

zjIHoAq.png

WmtiodN.png

jPalei5.png

I can make my testing install even simpler than it is but as it stands there's very little to it anyway.  I recognize that @toric5 is having some kind of issue but the model is fine.  Ever since you remade it I haven't had any issues with torque on it.  BTW, this install does have Real Plume installed too so I've got no issue arising from that either. (DMagicScienceAnimate, SCANSat and DMOS are installed as well)

Nothing I've done has been able to replicate this.  I even started this off by not deleting PartDatabase to make sure it was in a screwy state to begin with and I couldn't get it to torque out...

Edited by rasta013

7 minutes ago, rasta013 said:

Sorry it took me to the weekend to get to it but I just got a chance to check it and I see zero problems or torque...

Hide contents

zjIHoAq.png

WmtiodN.png

jPalei5.png

I can make my testing install even simpler than it is but as it stands there's very little to it anyway.  I recognize that @toric5 is having _some_ kind of issue but the model is fine.  Ever since you remade it I haven't had any issues with torque on it.  BTW, this install _does_ have Real Plume installed too so I've got no issue arising from that either. (DMagicScienceAnimate, SCANSat and DMOS are installed as well)

Nothing I've done has been able to replicate this.  I even started this off by not deleting PartDatabase to make sure it was in a screwy state to begin with and I couldn't get it to torque out...

ok. im on linux, but that should not make the slightest difference. i have created an issue on github where i have posted more information. what if i were to upload my copy of the coatl areospace parts folder, and you could see if my download is somehow borked. (even though i have tried re downloading it.) i can also confirm that the issue still exists when only KER coatl areospace, and dmagic are installed.

49 minutes ago, rasta013 said:

Reveal hidden contents

zjIHoAq.png

WmtiodN.png

jPalei5.png

I can make my testing install even simpler than it is but as it stands there's very little to it anyway.  I recognize that @toric5 is having some kind of issue but the model is fine.  Ever since you remade it I haven't had any issues with torque on it.  BTW, this install does have Real Plume installed too so I've got no issue arising from that either. (DMagicScienceAnimate, SCANSat and DMOS are installed as well)

Can confirm... torques have been eliminated on the latest dev version from GitHub on PC. No alterations to the game other than deleting the old Coatl file and replacing it with the dev stuff.

*raises toast in salute*

2 hours ago, toric5 said:

ok. im on linux, but that should not make the slightest difference. i have created an issue on github where i have posted more information. what if i were to upload my copy of the coatl areospace parts folder, and you could see if my download is somehow borked. (even though i have tried re downloading it.) i can also confirm that the issue still exists when only KER coatl areospace, and dmagic are installed.

Do that. I will take a look while I'm doing engine stuff tonight. 

@MaverickSawyer @rasta013 Thank you both for testing. I am glad the issue has been eliminated for you both.

1 hour ago, akron said:

Do that. I will take a look while I'm doing engine stuff tonight. 

@MaverickSawyer @rasta013 Thank you both for testing. I am glad the issue has been eliminated for you both.

Here you go. im actually not sure whether this is the latest or not, the mod does not contain a .version file for ksp AVC. pretty sure it is, though. maybe ksp AVC support is in order? i hear it is quite simple to implement. (unlike CKAN)

9 minutes ago, toric5 said:

Here you go. im actually not sure whether this is the latest or not, the mod does not contain a .version file for ksp AVC. pretty sure it is, though. maybe ksp AVC support is in order? i hear it is quite simple to implement. (unlike CKAN)

You definitely do not have the latest version because there are no SCANsat parts, or Vorona parts. Hence the problem. Go ahead and download the latest release and the problems will be resolved. Plus, you'll get some fancy new parts to try out as well. :D 

EDIT: To clarify, you need the latest Development release. Not the latest public release

Edited by akron

29 minutes ago, akron said:

You definitely do not have the latest version because there are no SCANsat parts, or Vorona parts. Hence the problem. Go ahead and download the latest release and the problems will be resolved. Plus, you'll get some fancy new parts to try out as well. :D 

EDIT: To clarify, you need the latest Development release. Not the latest public release

ahh, ok. seems to be fixed now. sorry for all the hubbub!

4 minutes ago, toric5 said:

ahh, ok. seems to be fixed now. sorry for all the hubbub!

I'm just glad we figured it out. Now that you have the right version and have the new parts, be sure to post some feedback on them as well.

cheers!

6 hours ago, Bornholio said:

akron I really like the parts pack, enjoy the detail.

Thank you!

Small update:

Big rush to see how much stuff I can cram last-minute before this Friday's release. I made some tweaks to Fomalhaut and added a new drogue chute because the parachute was too much for Eve. However, I feel like I'm running into the drag cube issues I did with the original chute... Please test it and let me know its working, it's up on Github.

4PPplYj.png

On Github, there's now an alternate solar panel for Vorona without the outer panels to resemble the earlier Venera missions. I also started work (For some damn reason) on the SAR from the Venera 15/16. This is not ready yet because it has been inexplicably complicated to model, but at least it is textured. I'll animate this soon. This will unlock earlier than the others but will be much heavier to compensate. Small omni antennae will be included as well. Have a render:

lsi983K.png

Those are the alternate "short" solar panels. The SAR might actually be too small now that I'm staring at it. Hmpf

Zzzzz

Edited by akron

Do you have any plans for bigger satellite buses, like something based on geostationary communication birds? I wanted to build an interplanetary communication platform with lots of big dishes pointed at the OPM planets, but probe cores are too small so I end up needing 2.5m tanks or Nertea's Octo-Trusses... And it's not pretty to say the least, or as functional as it could be,

7 hours ago, akron said:

Thank you!

Small update:

Big rush to see how much stuff I can cram last-minute before this Friday's release. I made some tweaks to Fomalhaut and added a new drogue chute because the parachute was too much for Eve. However, I feel like I'm running into the drag cube issues I did with the original chute... Please test it and let me know its working, it's up on Github.

4PPplYj.png

*snip*

If you install new parachutes remove/rename first the Physics.cfg in KSP main-folder. This file will not be renewed on every start and makes the drag-cube issue. BTW, nice model of drogue-chute!

b0AbEuy.png

Edited by hraban

1 hour ago, PickledTripod said:

Do you have any plans for bigger satellite buses, like something based on geostationary communication birds? I wanted to build an interplanetary communication platform with lots of big dishes pointed at the OPM planets, but probe cores are too small so I end up needing 2.5m tanks or Nertea's Octo-Trusses... And it's not pretty to say the least, or as functional as it could be,

Yes, ish. The larger satellites you see (Like weather sats and earth-science) actually have rather small buses. It is the payload of science instruments that add to their bulk (Like big microwave sounders). So, yes, I will have larger probe buses, but they won't be as large as you may expect them to be. TOPEX is on the to-do for sure. Other will be added as I find good designs that I like, good ones suggested by you guys.

25 minutes ago, hraban said:

If you install new parachutes remove/rename first the Physics.cfg in KSP main-folder. This file will not be renewed on every start and makes the drag-cube issue. BTW, nice model of drogue-chute!

Could have sworn I did that, but I was tired. I'll try this again tonight, cheers. I didn't know you had a parachute like this. Whenever I make a new part, I'll just assume you already have done it. :confused:

Github updated

sq977hf.png

Beggars can't be choosers, but if anyone has the time to test it, can you do it both with and without SCANsat installed?

I think it came out ok. It gets almost 1800 dV in this configuration.

XxZiCd5.png

~cheers

Edited by akron

Amazeing work.

One question if I may :).

In the latest veriosn on github you say in the changelogs that you have updated Firespitter to latest but in the version file of Firespitter its says 7.4.1 but latest Firespitter I think is 7.5.1.

3 hours ago, Virtualgenius said:

Is there a craft file for your example that i could use or one for verona please

I can get you something later

3 hours ago, stk2008 said:

Amazeing work.

One question if I may :).

In the latest veriosn on github you say in the changelogs that you have updated Firespitter to latest but in the version file of Firespitter its says 7.4.1 but latest Firespitter I think is 7.5.1.

Thanks. So, those changelogs are made for the public release, not the dev release (Which is what's on Github). I do note changes, but I do it on the the "notes" section of each push. I actually have a checklist item to make sure I have the latest Firespitter and DM science animate for BETA 15, I just haven't gotten to it yet.

On 14/03/2017 at 7:49 AM, akron said:

lsi983K.png

Those are the alternate "short" solar panels. The SAR might actually be too small now that I'm staring at it. Hmpf

Ooof! 

I like it a lot, size concerns aside, the folding mechanism is really nice.