[WIP] Coatl Aerospace ProbesPlus Dev Thread [Beta] 10/19/2020 (1.8-1.10)

akron

38 minutes ago, DiscoveryPlanet said:

same happen to me , then i try del DMagicScienceAnimate file and it works fine :D

Can you post a log? I'm curious as to what versions you have of each plugin. Maybe you have two and they're conflicting.

Potential Dev live stream on Twitch tonight. Trying to get back to the weekly streams. Shooting for the usual 7pm or so EST.

The plan is: Work on Cassini science parts and Huygens, fix foil textures, and possibly some road map talk. Twitch channel link on my sig.

Github has been updated. Magnetometer in-game. Note that I am in the process of re-doing science experiments to remove the DMOS dependency. Only the new magnetometer is set up, which will cause double experiments if you do use DMOS. I'll fix this soon, just be aware.

There's also been some texture work done for the fuel tank covers, but it is still WIP. 

EmJIp1j.png

0BW6EeV.png

Edited by akron

On 12/4/2017 at 4:56 PM, SpaceFox said:

I’ve been using this mod since it came out and I can’t wait for the next update! Keep up the good work.

Thank you very much!

All of Xihe's (STEREO) parts are done and updated on Github, along with more ScienceDef tweaks and hopefully all changes needed to move DMOS from dependency to a "recommended" mod. If you have both mods, my parts will defer to DMOS' configs via MM

4fRoFEZ.png

On 12/6/2017 at 12:17 AM, akron said:

Thank you very much!

All of Xihe's (STEREO) parts are done and updated on Github, along with more ScienceDef tweaks and hopefully all changes needed to move DMOS from dependency to a "recommended" mod. If you have both mods, my parts will defer to DMOS' configs via MM

Does this mean the mod is compatible with the current version of KSP?

3 minutes ago, SpaceFox said:

Does this mean the mod is compatible with the current version of KSP?

Welcome to the Forums, SpaceFox!

The pre-release version of the mod is compatible with the current KSP. What you'll find in Spacedock and CKAN is not the pre-release version. If you want to test out the new parts in KSP 1.3, you can download this pre-release from Github. Instructions are on the bottom of the page. Read back a couple of pages to catch up on the latest dev news and what you can find in the Github repository. Also check out these Frequently asked mod questions to learn more.

All of the stuff you can check out on the Github pre-release will become an official release sometime soon, hopefully right before Christmas. Until then, the repository will continue to see frequent updates about every 2 days.

@akron Not that your mod isn't already pretty enough, but have you seen TU?

Allows the use of PBR textures and shaders, can make some really amazing looking stuff. Would definitely be a lot of work to convert all of your stuff over, not requesting that by any means, just wanted to put it on your radar though in case at some point you run out of models to make and get the itch to do something masochistic and crazy :sticktongue:

22 minutes ago, Akira_R said:

Allows the use of PBR textures and shaders, can make some really amazing looking stuff. Would definitely be a lot of work to convert all of your stuff over, not requesting that by any means, just wanted to put it on your radar though in case at some point you run out of models to make and get the itch to do something masochistic and crazy :sticktongue:

"Run out of models to make" Inconceivable!

TU would make the foil textures actually look decent. I'm just at a loss as to how set them up and optimize them for use with those new shaders. I'll dig through the documentation but it doesn't look like shadowmage has had enough time to finish his wiki.

Another roadblock is that my textures are setup to be extremely light weight and sacrifice quality for resource efficiency. This means a lot of UV overlap which prevents proper Ambient Occlusion and bump mapping. It can be fixed so it will work better with TU but it would require a complete over haul of almost every part and it would double the mod's texture footprint

17 minutes ago, Zarbon44 said:

I dont want to sound rude, but can you give us a sneak peak of Rover Phase?

I would if I had something to show. I post everything to Github as it is finished and usually will also post a screenshot here. A page or two back I posted a picture of Lunokhod, the soviet rover(s) mission to the moon. This is the first set of rover parts I plan to make.

7 hours ago, Akira_R said:

It does not wok too well for the golden foil like on Meridiani. I think it is because the falloff color is just far too dark, meaning it only looks good head-on in sun-light. I don't know if I can tweak that to make it better.

7mqVREN.png

Xihe, however, looks damn good with it, despite the black falloff

cczvlLf.png

EDIT: PBR configs for TexturesUnlimited are now up on Github. Please report back if you try them out.

Edited by akron

On 12/7/2017 at 3:00 PM, akron said:

It does not wok too well for the golden foil like on Meridiani. I think it is because the falloff color is just far too dark, meaning it only looks good head-on in sun-light. I don't know if I can tweak that to make it better.

*snip beautiful picture*

Xihe, however, looks damn good with it, despite the black falloff

*snip beautiful picture*

EDIT: PBR configs for TexturesUnlimited are now up on Github. Please report back if you try them out.

Nice! Didn't expect you to give it a try so soon!

There has been a bit of discussion about this in the SSTU thread, from what I have gathered this is due to having the specular (smoothness) set fairly high. Since there isn't much to be reflected in space if something is super shiny then it will look black. Now the documentation in the wiki is still very lacking at the moment but assuming that a setting of .75 means 75% of 255 then the current specular setting for the gold foil is around 191 which is pretty close to the max recommended value of 200, perhaps a value closer to 175 - 180 or so (.68 - .70 ish in the config I think) might help it look less black.

Some discussion can be found here:

and here:

Just in case any one wants to play around with the configs the _Smoothness value is what would need to change to adjust the specular values.

So waaaay back on page 25 (middle-ish of July 2016), Bombaatu posted a concern about DMagic contracts not recognizing Coatl magnetometers and RPWS antennae.

DMagic and Komodo both graciously replied with advice on how to write a patch to resolve that issue. 

@akron, I did find the DMagicContracts.cfg patch you added in \Coatl Aerospace\ProbesPlus\Compatibility to take care of that, but it does not seem to work anymore. 

I've been poking around in that .cfg to try and make it work again, but I've not had success.

Original -

@DMContracts:FOR[CoatlAerospace]:NEEDS[DMagic]
{
    @DMMag
    {
        @Magnetometer_Parts ^= :$:,ca_magneto2,ca_vor_mag,mer_mag,ca_stereoBoom
        @RPWS_Parts ^= :$:,ca_RPWS,ca_RPWS_STEREO
    }
}
//Special thanks to Komodo for the help!

DMagic contracts seem to ignore this.

My latest fumblefingered edit, trying to implement my simpleminded misunderstandings of the MM syntax primer -

@DMContracts:FOR[CoatlAerospace]:NEEDS[DMagic]
{
    @DMMag
    {
        @Magnetometer_Parts = ca_magneto2,ca_vor_mag,mer_mag,ca_stereoBoom
        @RPWS_Parts = ca_RPWS,ca_RPWS_STEREO
    }
}
//Special thanks to Komodo for the help!
//Why you no workie?

And my other variations of the original have also resulted in no results. Well. One result. It still ain't werkin.

:confused:

I've had success writing my own patches for adding SSTU's Aerozine50 and NTO as optional output from various ISRU parts, so I kind-of, sort-of wonder if I am missing something subtle. Or glaringly obvious.

Anyone have suggestions? 

3 minutes ago, MaeharaProjekt said:

Anyone have suggestions? 

Try this:

@DMContracts:FOR[CoatlAerospace]:NEEDS[DMagicOrbitalScience]
{
    @DMMag
    {
    }
}

I may have fumbled the NEEDS parameter

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/15/2017 at 11:30 AM, akron said:

Try this:

{
    @DMMag
    {
    }
}

I may have fumbled the NEEDS parameter

Just tried it and the magetometer and rpws are still not recognized for the contracts. 

God these probes and parts look amazing!

Edited by DScamp

17 hours ago, DScamp said:

Just tried it and the magetometer and rpws are still not recognized for the contracts. 

God these probes and parts look amazing!

Thank you! I will investigate as to why. Let me also tag @DMagic to ask for his expertise. If not, we may have to post on his thread and provide him some logs.

10 hours ago, TK-313 said:

I just ran into the issue of the thermometer part not being recognized by the contract. Is there some fix to remedy it?

I am not sure other than to just pass the contract on the contract tab of the "cheat" menu. The thermometer uses the stock science system and experiment so it should work

2 hours ago, Abpilot said:

Mabey its just my PC byput ive ran this mod alone without anymods on ksp 64 bit and it crashes on start up

Can you provide some logs? If you are not sure how, my FAQ has some links which can help you

On 15/12/2017 at 7:30 PM, akron said:

Try this:

{
    @DMMag
    {
    }
}

The MM syntax for using regular expressions to append needs a final : on the end of the line - i.e.

@key ^= :$:new stuff:

I've tested with the above patch and it works as long as the colon is added.