[WIP] Coatl Aerospace ProbesPlus Dev Thread [Beta] 10/19/2020 (1.8-1.10)

akron

HAPPY 2017 Y'ALL

I started working on Cassini/Meridiani. Not a whole lot of progress, but the main shapes are mostly there. The antenna is a remake of the old "Medium Dish" originally paired with Quetzal. As another reminder, the old model will be removed and replaced with this one on the next release so, potential save-break update coming. Render:

ougWyHK.png

So far there are 5 parts making up the probe: HGA Dish, dish base, probe core, fuel tank, RTGs. Texture is WIP blah blah. RTGs are just a slight re-size of the current one already in the mod. The HGA is 2.5m diameter, the probe core is roughly 1.5m diameter and the fuel tank is mostly around 0.94m diameter. The whole thing is coming in at about 7k tris so it will be relatively higher-poly as things have been as of late. There may end up being about a dozen parts making up this probe by the time I'm done, not counting Huygens :( 

I am still wondering if you guys prefer having more parts that can be used elsewhere, or if parts should be combined more often. Easier assembly, but less flexibility. Thoughts?

~Cheers

EDIT:

Quick comparison of the new vs old antenna for size:

rccyEFv.png

Gtt8bJu.png

Edited by akron

I note that the OP in this thread links to a release thread, but that thread seems to have less than a page of activity on it.  Which thread would you suggest I follow if I'm interested in seeing this mod made available for KSP v1.2.2?  Or for CKAN metadata updates (if at all)?

5 hours ago, MisterFister said:

I note that the OP in this thread links to a release thread, but that thread seems to have less than a page of activity on it.  Which thread would you suggest I follow if I'm interested in seeing this mod made available for KSP v1.2.2?  Or for CKAN metadata updates (if at all)?

As @Cheesecake mentioned, that is the release thread only for my old Nerva HT engine mod. Let me move the engine to be second on the OP to prevent confusion. Keep your eye on this thread for mod updates. A release thread for the Probes will not be created until most of the parts are released. I do dev releases to Github in between updates so the latest version of the mod will always be found there.

2 hours ago, TheHiddenKitten said:

Is the current version 1.2.2 compatible?

The version of Firespitter and DMagicScienceAnimate bundled with my download are out of date, and DMagicScienceAnimate only mentions it is compatible with 1.2.1 (but it may work on 1.2.2). You can test it or I can test it later today. You would have to download the mod and then replace those two with their latest versions. I could have sworn that I'm using 1.2.2 during my testing but I'm having a brain moment and I'm not in front of my PC at home. Let me ping @DMagic just in case.

4 hours ago, Virtualgenius said:

yep all the goodies are shown here with lots of pics its awesome

Well, just the one for Cassini, but thanks!

12 hours ago, akron said:

I am still wondering if you guys prefer having more parts that can be used elsewhere, or if parts should be combined more often. Easier assembly, but less flexibility. Thoughts?

Personally, I've never used these parts to build the probes that they were designed to emulate - but I use them all the time, in my own designed probes, and rovers, and...  So, I'm on the side of flexibility.  :wink: 

16 hours ago, akron said:

I use them in a very mix and match way as I prefer designing my own craft rather than trying to recreate real vessels although I've done a bit of that in the past.

6 hours ago, DStaal said:

Personally, I've never used these parts to build the probes that they were designed to emulate - but I use them all the time, in my own designed probes, and rovers, and...  So, I'm on the side of flexibility.  :wink: 

2 hours ago, Aelfhe1m said:

I use them in a very mix and match way as I prefer designing my own craft rather than trying to recreate real vessels although I've done a bit of that in the past.

Thank you for the feedback. Have either of you downloaded the Github Dev parts and looked at the Venera and Surveyor parts? Any thoughts on how flexible those are? That's kinda the direction these newer parts are taking me.

I like, the others, tend to mix and match a little more with your parts that align with my own playthrough (this one is less science per probe and requiring most launches). 
Regarding new parts: Surveyor was something I was looking for as I really wanted a frame for a ground probe. But I add my own science to it depending on the mission. On Venera I haven't had much need to use it yet but got some plans that I have already tinkered with in the VAB. I think I used the main parts then filled it out more with some of your other stuff. All in all I like the flexibility I get but do not mind that some parts have a set purpose (like the surveyor main body). 

2 hours ago, rakol said:

I like, the others, tend to mix and match a little more with your parts that align with my own playthrough (this one is less science per probe and requiring most launches). 
Regarding new parts: Surveyor was something I was looking for as I really wanted a frame for a ground probe. But I add my own science to it depending on the mission. On Venera I haven't had much need to use it yet but got some plans that I have already tinkered with in the VAB. I think I used the main parts then filled it out more with some of your other stuff. All in all I like the flexibility I get but do not mind that some parts have a set purpose (like the surveyor main body). 

Ok, I can see that. Thank you for your feedback!

Here guys, I forgot to mention that I made Meridiani somewhat hollow for you guys to put stuff in it. You can't see it when assembled though:

x1g5xfD.png

To weigh in on the whole "flexibility vs set purpose" topic, I personally don't use them for any sort of flexibility, although I think I'm in the minority. When I use part mods, specifically historical ones, I build them as they were intended. So I think it's important to maintain the "original purpose" for lack of better term. Just my opinion though 

I too use your parts in a very mix and match way. I love the science instruments, and antennas and use many of the probe parts and engines for kerball-ed landers. Many of the larger probe type parts seem to fit just right for a small-ish lander.
I'm trying to figure out a way to use a surveyor frame or 3 for landing supports :)

To jump on the combined vs independent part design process.

I am a huge fan of SSTU and the concept of modular structures/parts that can be re-configured in the VAB.   That being said I also have Bluedog Design Bureau on my list of mods as well as Probes Plus.   I like my science parts to be mobile and re-usable.   My command pods should be alterable but I prefer the all in 1 approach given that modularity.

My Entire DSN is based on your Quetzal probe core, a 1.25m battery, a large mono tank and 1.25m mono engine, a HGA and 3 SSTU solar Panels.   I have 4 almost evenly placed in a Circular orbit between Kerbin and Eve.   I am about to start launching 8 more for orbit between Duna and Jool to provide full system coverage.

On 1/7/2017 at 5:09 PM, AlimOncul said:

this is working on 1.2.2 with updated firespitter and dmagic animate.

I want to thank you @akron for this awesome mod. I can build fancy satellites now and this mod now one of my favorite mods. :cool:

Thank you!

On 1/8/2017 at 1:47 AM, helaeon said:

I too use your parts in a very mix and match way. I love the science instruments, and antennas and use many of the probe parts and engines for kerball-ed landers. Many of the larger probe type parts seem to fit just right for a small-ish lander.
I'm trying to figure out a way to use a surveyor frame or 3 for landing supports :)

I am considering making a stand-alone version of that landing gear with a 90 degree base instead.

On 1/8/2017 at 0:45 PM, Oinker said:

Are these antennae configured for use with RemoteTech? And the parts for CTT?

There are MM configs for Remote tech in the latest release, but none for new parts yet. CTT is not currently supported but I am not opposed to adding configs in the future

10 hours ago, Pappystein said:

To jump on the combined vs independent part design process.

I am a huge fan of SSTU and the concept of modular structures/parts that can be re-configured in the VAB.   That being said I also have Bluedog Design Bureau on my list of mods as well as Probes Plus.   I like my science parts to be mobile and re-usable.   My command pods should be alterable but I prefer the all in 1 approach given that modularity.

My Entire DSN is based on your Quetzal probe core, a 1.25m battery, a large mono tank and 1.25m mono engine, a HGA and 3 SSTU solar Panels.   I have 4 almost evenly placed in a Circular orbit between Kerbin and Eve.   I am about to start launching 8 more for orbit between Duna and Jool to provide full system coverage.

Thank you for the feedback. I very much appreciate it! I will combine parts that make sense but I think I will take every opportunity to make things that could be modular, their own part.

9 hours ago, davidy12 said:

REALLY excited to see the Mars-Surveyor Orbiter. FINALLY a payload for my Sarnus V!!!

Let be clear to others and say that this is not Mars Global Surveyor but the planned precursor mission that eventually became Viking. It was originally to be called Voyager and several iterations of the mission were suggested before it was eventually canceled. The Voyager name went to the Voyager probes we know and love, and the mission profile went to Viking. I am making one of the proposed mission profiles which used a surveyor inside an aeroshell. 

Sorry for my absence, I have been away from home. Looking forward to getting back to work later this week.

~Cheers

3 hours ago, akron said:

Let be clear to others and say that this is not Mars Global Surveyor but the planned precursor mission that eventually became Viking. It was originally to be called Voyager and several iterations of the mission were suggested before it was eventually canceled. The Voyager name went to the Voyager probes we know and love, and the mission profile went to Viking. I am making one of the proposed mission profiles which used a surveyor inside an aeroshell. 

Sorry for my absence, I have been away from home. Looking forward to getting back to work later this week.

~Cheers

I knew that.

3 hours ago, akron said:

There are MM configs for Remote tech in the latest release, but none for new parts yet. CTT is not currently supported but I am not opposed to adding configs in the future

Honestly, as mostly early-tier science and probe parts, you can probably just keep them in the standard tree.  CTT adds whole branches and stuff on the end, but for the type of stuff this mod has I doubt any really apply.  So, probably no need for 'adding configs': Your current configs likely fit into CTT just fine.  :wink:

If you start doing parts based off of currently-planned/dreamed probes, then you might start looking at some of the probe nodes CTT adds.

Something seems to be off with a few of the upgrades, for parts, particularly weight and antenna power upgrades seem not to appear in the CTT, and some of the dishes seem to have incomplete info in terms of what the new antenna rating should be. *