[WIP] Coatl Aerospace ProbesPlus Dev Thread [Beta] 10/19/2020 (1.8-1.10)

akron

2 hours ago, akron said:

TBH, the craft shouldn't make a difference. This has been difficult to troubleshoot either way. I'm sure its something very plain and easy and I'm just not seeing it.

Anyway. Horizon Zero Dawn came out this week (Great game) and I ended up playing too much. I got to work today and got those two parts finished and in-game:

f7rteNK.png

The colors are very neutral to fit with other stock parts. I tried a couple of other things but they were a bit saturated.

That fan housing amuses me.  :D

2 hours ago, DStaal said:

That fan housing amuses me.  :D

Yeah I enjoy adding little funny things to the parts every once in a while, as well as the part descriptions.

Github has been updated!

You can also have the High-Resolution Radar System to compliment SCANsat's SAR scanner:

Vv4DGlF.png

Inspired by MetOp. It's pretty big, but folds nice

~cheers

Random question...I play with MechJeb and also the "MechJeb/Engineer for all" mod.  In all the other probe cores (Stock cores, SETI-Probe Parts, etc), I get all the options, including maneuver planner after updating the tracking station once.  I don't seem to ever get maneuver planner as an option with the COATL probe cores, even after unlocking the MechJeb maneuver planner module in the tech tree.  Is this by design or is there a fix for it? 

37 minutes ago, jdub3350 said:

Random question...I play with MechJeb and also the "MechJeb/Engineer for all" mod.  In all the other probe cores (Stock cores, SETI-Probe Parts, etc), I get all the options, including maneuver planner after updating the tracking station once.  I don't seem to ever get maneuver planner as an option with the COATL probe cores, even after unlocking the MechJeb maneuver planner module in the tech tree.  Is this by design or is there a fix for it? 

I would have to suspect a conflict with another mod's config. I have a MM patch that adds MechJeb to my parts and it includes maneuver planner. I don't think I misspelled anything. It also work fine in my own career game. Can anyone else replicate this?

@PART[barquetta]:NEEDS[MechJeb2]
{
	%MODULE[MechJebCore]
	{
		MechJebLocalSettings
		{
			MechJebModuleCustomWindowEditor { unlockTechs = flightControl }
			MechJebModuleSmartASS { unlockTechs = flightControl }
			MechJebModuleManeuverPlanner { unlockTechs = advFlightControl }
			MechJebModuleNodeEditor { unlockTechs = advFlightControl }
			MechJebModuleTranslatron { unlockTechs = advFlightControl }
			MechJebModuleWarpHelper { unlockTechs = advFlightControl }
			MechJebModuleAttitudeAdjustment { unlockTechs = advFlightControl }
			MechJebModuleThrustWindow { unlockTechs = advFlightControl }
			MechJebModuleRCSBalancerWindow { unlockTechs = advFlightControl }
			MechJebModuleRoverWindow { unlockTechs = fieldScience }
			MechJebModuleAscentGuidance { unlockTechs = unmannedTech }
			MechJebModuleLandingGuidance { unlockTechs = unmannedTech }
			MechJebModuleSpaceplaneGuidance { unlockTechs = unmannedTech }
			MechJebModuleDockingGuidance { unlockTechs = advUnmanned }
			MechJebModuleRendezvousAutopilotWindow { unlockTechs = advUnmanned }
			MechJebModuleRendezvousGuidance { unlockTechs = advUnmanned }
		}
	}
}

P.S. I use Mechjeb for All as well in my save

Edited by akron

53 minutes ago, akron said:

I would have to suspect a conflict with another mod's config. I have a MM patch that adds MechJeb to my parts and it includes maneuver planner. I don't think I misspelled anything. It also work fine in my own career game. Can anyone else replicate this?

@PART[barquetta]:NEEDS[MechJeb2]
{
	%MODULE[MechJebCore]
	{
		MechJebLocalSettings
		{
			MechJebModuleCustomWindowEditor { unlockTechs = flightControl }
			MechJebModuleSmartASS { unlockTechs = flightControl }
			MechJebModuleManeuverPlanner { unlockTechs = advFlightControl }
			MechJebModuleNodeEditor { unlockTechs = advFlightControl }
			MechJebModuleTranslatron { unlockTechs = advFlightControl }
			MechJebModuleWarpHelper { unlockTechs = advFlightControl }
			MechJebModuleAttitudeAdjustment { unlockTechs = advFlightControl }
			MechJebModuleThrustWindow { unlockTechs = advFlightControl }
			MechJebModuleRCSBalancerWindow { unlockTechs = advFlightControl }
			MechJebModuleRoverWindow { unlockTechs = fieldScience }
			MechJebModuleAscentGuidance { unlockTechs = unmannedTech }
			MechJebModuleLandingGuidance { unlockTechs = unmannedTech }
			MechJebModuleSpaceplaneGuidance { unlockTechs = unmannedTech }
			MechJebModuleDockingGuidance { unlockTechs = advUnmanned }
			MechJebModuleRendezvousAutopilotWindow { unlockTechs = advUnmanned }
			MechJebModuleRendezvousGuidance { unlockTechs = advUnmanned }
		}
	}
}

P.S. I use Mechjeb for All as well in my save

Thanks for the response...I'll have to poke around in some of the configs that might be related.  I'll post anything relevant I can find.  

13 hours ago, akron said:

Yeah I enjoy adding little funny things to the parts every once in a while, as well as the part descriptions.

Github has been updated!

You can also have the High-Resolution Radar System to compliment SCANsat's SAR scanner:

Vv4DGlF.png

Inspired by MetOp. It's pretty big, but folds nice

~cheers

Nice :wink:

dRlmjX2.png

I forgot, I have a new spacecraft to do as a thanks to NASA for naming it after my mod:

SPP_ObservingSun2.jpg

TBH, I'd just make the bits that go on it and slap it on a Boeing 702-styled bus

Edited by akron

19 hours ago, akron said:

I forgot, I have a new spacecraft to do as a thanks to NASA for naming it after my mod:

SPP_ObservingSun2.jpg

TBH, I'd just make the bits that go on it and slap it on a Boeing 702-styled bus

More greeble variety, excellent

3 hours ago, jokiab said:

Any idea when this will be updated for the newest version and included in Ckan? :)

I do not do anything with CKAN I kinda tried, but I'll just leave it up to that team and it should happen automatically.

Release date is not set because there are still pending issues that I am waiting for feedback on before I package a release (Like that darn Lahar offset thrust). This is all available in GitHub, so there is no hold on you trying the new stuff. I'd like to have this out by next Friday 3/17. But this is not final.

3 hours ago, sal_vager said:

Hi @jokiab, please see the first posts for news if any :)

I will most certainly update the OP when the release is out.

@akron I'm looking into creating RealFuels configs for the various engines in your pack because they are some of my favorite probe engines out there, and I like the real-ish world design.  My goal is to have the performance be as close to real world as possible.  Would you mind checking the below list to make sure I have the analogues right- 

Linkor- Fregat (will use dry mass of whole stage since its all integrated) 

Trident- from MAVEN, which had 6 Aerojet MR-107N main thrusters, I'd assume Trident to be 3 of those 6?

Jib- 225N hydrazine engine from Mariner 1-2? 

Plus all the Vega/Venera/Surveyor stuff that is newer 

5 minutes ago, jdub3350 said:

@akron I'm looking into creating RealFuels configs for the various engines in your pack because they are some of my favorite probe engines out there, and I like the real-ish world design.  My goal is to have the performance be as close to real world as possible.  Would you mind checking the below list to make sure I have the analogues right- 

Linkor- Fregat (will use dry mass of whole stage since its all integrated) 

Trident- from MAVEN, which had 6 Aerojet MR-107N main thrusters, I'd assume Trident to be 3 of those 6?

Jib- 225N hydrazine engine from Mariner 1-2? 

Plus all the Vega/Venera/Surveyor stuff that is newer 

Cool. This may help:

Engine Name RL Name Game Propel. RL Propellant Game ISP RL ISP Game Thrust RL Thrust Mass RL Mass
Linkor Fregat - S5.92 LFO N2O4/UDMH 345s 327s 35 kN 20.01 kN 0.3kg (Full Module) 75kg/930kg(Module)
Jib Mariner 4 (4-jet) engine MP Hydrazine 240s ? 4 kN 222 N 0.09kg ?
Lahar Akatsuki Propulsion Module LFO MON3/N2H4 345s ? 10 kN 500 N 0.085kg ?
Trident Aerojet MR-107N (6-jets) MP Hydrazine 240s 236s 15 kN 170 N x6 (1020 N) 0.21kg 740g x6 (4,440g)
Kurt KTDU-425A LFO N2O4/UDMH 315s 315s 17.5 kN 18.89 kN 0.1kg 70kg

And to clarify. Yes, The trident started as a MAVEN engine but got totally changed after the fact. I also vastly increased in-game thrust to prevent long burns, for gameplay reasons.

1 minute ago, akron said:

Cool. This may help:

Engine Name RL Name Game Propel. RL Propellant Game ISP RL ISP Game Thrust RL Thrust Mass RL Mass
Linkor Fregat - S5.92 LFO N2O4/UDMH 345s 327s 35 kN 20.01 kN 0.3kg (Full Module) 75kg/930kg(Module)
Jib Mariner 4 (4-jet) engine MP Hydrazine 240s ? 4 kN 222 N 0.09kg ?
Lahar Akatsuki Propulsion Module LFO MON3/N2H4 345s ? 10 kN 500 N 0.085kg ?
Trident Aerojet MR-107N (6-jets) MP Hydrazine 240s 236s 15 kN 170 N x6 (1020 N) 0.21kg 740g x6 (4,440g)
Kurt KTDU-425A LFO N2O4/UDMH 315s 315s 17.5 kN 18.89 kN 0.1kg 70kg

This may help he says...hahaha.  Awesome, thanks for passing that along. 

1 minute ago, jdub3350 said:

This may help he says...hahaha.  Awesome, thanks for passing that along. 

By the way, if you research and discover any info that I am missing, let me know. Also, note that my Fregat is about to change size to a more accurate 1.875m dia. It will be replaced in-game by a new Service Module based on the Volga Upper Stage

On 3/5/2017 at 5:58 PM, akron said:

TBH, the craft shouldn't make a difference. This has been difficult to troubleshoot either way. I'm sure its something very plain and easy and I'm just not seeing it. 

sorry about the delay. ksp decided it didnt like one of my MM patches and quit on me for a few days. anyways, with the latest release, the problem still persists.

2 minutes ago, toric5 said:

sorry about the delay. ksp decided it didnt like one of my MM patches and quit on me for a few days. anyways, with the latest release, the problem still persists.

Even after deleting the PartDatabase?

8 hours ago, akron said:

I cannot replicate this

Can I get a list of mods that you have installed? Also, can someone else help us test this and see if you can replicate this problem?

Had a look with the latest updates. Nothing with KER, RCS and using multiple tanks as test parts. 

@toric5 did you "clone/download" the github or download from the releases section? 

Oh... is it me or does 1 of the arms of the new High-Res Radar System move at a different speed? Wondering if its a bug, intentional or I need to go to the eye doctor :)

Edited by rakol

5 hours ago, rakol said:

Had a look with the latest updates. Nothing with KER, RCS and using multiple tanks as test parts. 

@toric5 did you "clone/download" the github or download from the releases section? 

Oh... is it me or does 1 of the arms of the new High-Res Radar System move at a different speed? Wondering if its a bug, intentional or I need to go to the eye doctor :)

didnt clone the latest github. used spacedock. will clone and try again. as for modlist... umm, everything. ~150 mods, not all of them use ksp AVC. here is the AVC output:

KSP: 1.2.2 (Unix) - Unity: 5.4.0p4 - OS: Linux 4.4 neon 16.04 64bit
000_AT_Utils - 1.4.2
Toolbar - 1.7.13
USI Tools - 0.8.16
B9 Part Switch - 1.7.1
BD Animation Modules - 0.6.4.2
BetterTimeWarpContinued - 2.3.6.1
Bon Voyage - 0.11.1
Chatterer - 0.9.92.1622
Community Category Kit - 1.2.2
Community Resource Pack - 0.6.6
CommunityTechTree - 3.0.3
Contract Configurator - 1.22.2
Contract Pack: Clever Sats - 1.4
Contract Pack: Field Research - 1.2
Contract Pack: Bases and Stations - 3.6
Contract Pack: Grand Tour Contracts - 0.1.10.3
Rover Missions - 0.1.7
Contract Pack: Unmanned Contracts - 0.3.27
CryoEngines - 0.4.6
CustomBarnKit - 1.1.10
DMagic Orbital Science - 1.3.0.8
DistantObjectEnhancement - 1.8.1
EVAEnhancementsContinued - 0.1.6
Easy Vessel Switch - 1.2
EditorExtensionsRedux - 3.3.11.1
Flight Manager for Reusable Stages - 1.2.1
Firespitter - 7.4.2
Flight Plan - 1.0.1
FuelCellTweaks - 1.0
GPOSpeedFuelPump - 1.8.7
GroundConstruction - 1.1.2.1
Haystack Continued - 0.5.2.1
HeatControl - 0.3.4
Interstellar Fuel Switch - 2.4.4
JSIAdvTransparentPods - 0.1.13
RasterPropMonitor - 0.28
Kerbal Attachment System - 0.6.2
Kerbin Environmental Institute - 1.2.1
Kerbal Inventory System - 1.4
KSP-AVC Plugin - 1.1.6.2
KWRocketryRedux - 3.1.2
Camera Mode Persistence - 1.0.1
KerbalAtomics - 0.3.5
Kerbal Engineer Redux - 1.1.2.8
Kerbal Joint Reinforcement - 3.3.1
Lithobrake Exploration Technologies - 0.4
MarkIVSystem - 2.3.5
Modular Rocket Systems - 1.13.1
Monthly Budgets - 2.5
EVAHandrailsPackContinued - 0.2.1.4
Docking Port Alignment Indicator - 6.5.2
NearFutureConstruction - 0.7.3
NearFutureElectrical - 0.8.3
NearFuturePropulsion - 0.8.3
NearFutureSolar - 0.7.2
NearFutureSpacecraft - 0.5.4
Final Frontier - 1.2.7.3080
Olympic1's Icon Packs - 0.10.3
PartCommanderContinued - 0.1.1.1
PlanetShine - 0.2.5.2
Kerbal Planetary Base Systems - 1.4.2
Portrait Stats - 1.0.13
Precise Maneuver - 2.2.2
Procedural Wings - 0.12
QuizTechAeroPackContinued - 1.3.8
RCS Build Aid - 0.9.1
RLA_Continued - 14.0.1
RealPlume - Stock - 0.11.4
ReentryParticleEffect - 1.2.0.1
SCANsat - 1.1.6.11
Celestial Body Science Editor - 1.0.8
Science Relay - 1.0.3.1
SmartParts - 1.9.4
SpaceY Lifters - 1.16
StageRecovery - 1.6.6
StationPartsExpansion - 0.4.3
Stock Visual Enhancements - 1.1.6
TakeCommandContinued - 1.4.8
Trajectories - 1.6.6
Alternate Resource Panel - 2.9.1
Kerbal Alarm Clock - 3.8.4
Transfer Window Planner - 1.6.1
USI Core - 0.3.7
USI Exploration Pack - 0.7.3
Freight Transport Tech - 0.6.7
Karbonite - 0.8.7
Konstruction - 0.1.10
USI-LS - 0.5.23
MKS - 0.50.14
Malemute Rover - 0.2.7
NuclearRockets - 0.3.8
USI Survivability Pack - 0.6.3
USI Alcubierre Drive - 0.5.4
VesselViewerContinued - 0.8.3
Waypoint Manager - 2.6.2
IVA Kerbal Identifier - 1.0.2
OSE Workshop - 1.0.8
[x] Science! - 5.4

cloned from github. still does the same. intrestingly, it always generates 0.025kNm of torqe no matter what it is attached to, even the kerbodyne tanks...

also, to confirm, i tested the thing in space. it will make a small satilite tumble. in your picture, you had the thrust transform at 0,0. are you sure your origin is in the center of the part? (i dont know too mutch about modeling, but its the only thing i can think of.)

6 hours ago, rakol said:

Go ahead and make your appointment

Just kidding, they do intentionally move at different speeds

7 minutes ago, toric5 said:

cloned from github. still does the same. intrestingly, it always generates 0.025kNm of torqe no matter what it is attached to, even the kerbodyne tanks...

also, to confirm, i tested the thing in space. it will make a small satilite tumble. in your picture, you had the thrust transform at 0,0. are you sure your origin is in the center of the part? (i dont know too mutch about modeling, but its the only thing i can think of.)

I'll see if anything stands out from your list when I am back at my modding computer. There are definitely no issues I can find with the origin/center of the nozzle or part. I suspected this to be part of the problem originally, which is why I completely re-modeled a new nozzle assembly for this part, also removing a slight rotation that was accidentally frozen into the transforms. If you are willing to keep working with me on testing this, try this: Download the latest Developer repository from Github (instructions are towards the bottom of that page). Delete the "Coatl Aerospace" folder from your GameData directory. Copy the "Coatl Aerospace" folder from the zip file you downloaded from Github to your GameData directory (Nothing should overwrite). Delete your PartDatabase.cfg file from the KSP root directory one more time, and try it again on a new craft. 

Just now, akron said:

I'll see if anything stands out from your list when I am back at my modding computer. There are definitely no issues I can find with the origin/center of the nozzle or part. I suspected this to be part of the problem originally, which is why I completely re-modeled a new nozzle assembly for this part, also removing a slight rotation that was accidentally frozen into the transforms. If you are willing to keep working with me on testing this, try this: Download the latest Developer repository from Github (instructions are towards the bottom of that page). Delete the "Coatl Aerospace" folder from your GameData directory. Copy the "Coatl Aerospace" folder from the zip file you downloaded from Github to your GameData directory (Nothing should overwrite). Delete your PartDatabase.cfg file from the KSP root directory one more time, and try it again on a new craft. 

the test i jsut posted was from the dev build. the only thing in my modlist that i can think of that would mess with the engine at all would be the realplume stock configs... lemme try removing those, on the offchance that it does anything...

Just now, toric5 said:

the test i jsut posted was from the dev build. the only thing in my modlist that i can think of that would mess with the engine at all would be the realplume stock configs... lemme try removing those, on the offchance that it does anything...

Ok, let me know. I'd be interested to see if deleting the folder before installing does anything. This is the recommended way to install mod updates, specially for in-development mods like mine where folder names and order can change between releases along with any number of part and mu changes.