[WIP] Coatl Aerospace ProbesPlus Dev Thread [Beta] 10/19/2020 (1.8-1.10)

akron

Update

Still a little sick, but at least I had enough energy to work tonight and got some stuff done. By my count I think there's only one more part to do to get his release out and I can move on to other projects, it's just been slow. Anyway Torekka is a little bit more complete now. IMGUR Album

TL;DR: 4 new parts re up for testing. Torekka's Propulsion module and structural truss are done although there is a glitch where the game is randomly removing polygons from the mesh (particularly the RCS). Never seen this one before and it is all one combined object so... eh. You can also test out a Russian-styled radial MP tank, and an alternate stack-mounted service module for Quetzal (it's a "hollowed out" bus). 

Check the album but here's some of the pics:

Module firing

j9XJBcE.png

Unity view of the Propulsion Module and Truss

0AC3ckp.png

Other new parts (Not to scale). The ESM can texture switch like the probe bus

VxmQ6cb.png

Let me know if I broke anything

~cheers

Edited by akron

On 3/24/2017 at 6:43 PM, akron said:

Shout out to @Phineas Freak for updating these

I just pushed the first compatibility update for the GroundOps parts (Surveyor). The "new-new" Venera parts (SAR, drogue parachutes, GPS antenna) are the next in the list parts that i will have to create new patches, the rest "new-old" parts are 90% ready (just need some more tests).

3 hours ago, Phineas Freak said:

I just pushed the first compatibility update for the GroundOps parts (Surveyor). The "new-new" Venera parts (SAR, drogue parachutes, GPS antenna) are the next in the list parts that i will have to create new patches, the rest "new-old" parts are 90% ready (just need some more tests).

Awesome! Thanks! I'll start referencing my source material in CFG comments whenever I can to make it easier

Does anyone have some info on how the Fomalhaut and Vorona parts combine in to one ship? I'm guessing the Vorona should hold the Fomalhaut lander in its aeroshell but I can't for the life of me get it to assemble in a sensible way!

2 hours ago, nadseh said:

Does anyone have some info on how the Fomalhaut and Vorona parts combine in to one ship? I'm guessing the Vorona should hold the Fomalhaut lander in its aeroshell but I can't for the life of me get it to assemble in a sensible way!

Here are a couple of craft files with the new Vorona parts to help you figure it out: DOWNLOAD

You can also reference this old render screenshot:

LLNvByA.png

Top to bottom: 1- Parachute (You have both a chute and a drogue to choose from), 2- Parachute's fairing (Attaches automatically with your chosen parachute), 3- Fomalhaut Lander, 4- Heatshield fairing (Attaches automatically with heatshield), 5- Heatshield, 6- Fomalhaut Decoupler, 7- Vorona fuel tank and the rest of the orbiter. The fairings can be toggled on/off in the editor so you can attach stuff to the lander. I usually build the orbiter first (Starting with the Vorona core) and then attach the lander parts.

EDIT: Looks like I added the new Torekka to the download. Ignore that one if you want, you just need the 2 Vorona files

Edited by akron

That render helped, all built now! Thanks. On a different note, on my install I'm not able to extend the magnetometers; the option is simply absent in the right click menu and the science experiment isn't available. Is this a known issue or would you like some debug info? I'm on the latest 15.0 build from GitHub, the commit was 2 days ago. 

7 minutes ago, nadseh said:

That render helped, all built now! Thanks. On a different note, on my install I'm not able to extend the magnetometers; the option is simply absent in the right click menu and the science experiment isn't available. Is this a known issue or would you like some debug info? I'm on the latest 15.0 build from GitHub, the commit was 2 days ago. 

You need DMagic Orbital Science and DMagic Science Animate (note that those are two separate mods)

12 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

You need DMagic Orbital Science and DMagic Science Animate (note that those are two separate mods)

Thanks for that, I thought just the Animate module (supplied with my GitHub release) would be sufficient.

5 hours ago, nadseh said:

Thanks for that, I thought just the Animate module (supplied with my GitHub release) would be sufficient.

My apologies if I made the requirements a little ambiguous. The DMagic Magnetometers use their own module (Not ScienceAnimate) so they do not work without DMagic Orbital Science at all (And neither should the RPWS). I can fix this, but I figured it would be faster to just point people to use that mod as well since it works perfect for my mod. Is there a wish from you guys for me to make ProbesPlus independent of DMOS? 

Edited by akron

6 hours ago, akron said:

I can fix this, but I figured it would be faster to just point people to use that mod as well since it works perfect for my mod. Is there a wish from you guys for me to make ProbesPlus independent of DMOS? 

Well I've been using your mod over a year now and my vote is a resounding NO.

For those of you who may think initially that this is a good idea....

PP+ parts look far better than DMOS parts

Since it is things like Magnetometers and RPWS what experiments are they going to become?  Would we then have Magnetometer for DMOS and Magnetometer for PP+ as well as dual RPWS experiments (and all the others)?  This would be an overabundance of science or non-installation of one or the other if you don't want that...which means...

If it is decoupled and you choose not to install DMOS then you'll be losing at least a few experiments since PP+ doesn't have all the same ones covered and also, if you use the Universal Storage form factor version of these experiments you'll lose those as well if you don't have DMOS...

I could go on and on about why it would be a bad idea to decouple PP+ from DMOS but these were the things that came to mind just in the course of writing this post (and I could've added a few more still even now)...

Edited by rasta013

23 minutes ago, rasta013 said:

Well I've been using your mod over a year now and my vote is a resounding NO.

For those of you who may think initially that this is a good idea....

PP+ parts look far better than DMOS parts

Since it is things like Magnetometers and RPWS what experiments are they going to become?  Would we then have Magnetometer for DMOS and Magnetometer for PP+ as well as dual RPWS experiments (and all the others)?  This would be an overabundance of science or non-installation of one or the other if you don't want that...which means...

If it is decoupled and you choose not to install DMOS then you'll be losing at least a few experiments since PP+ doesn't have all the same ones covered and also, if you use the Universal Storage form factor version of these experiments you'll lose those as well if you don't have DMOS...

I could go on and on about why it would be a bad idea to decouple PP+ from DMOS but these were the things that came to mind just in the course of writing this post (and I could've added a few more still even now)...

Well, if I were to do it, I'd use a MM patch to convert my experiments to DMOS experiments to prevent duplicate science. I plan to eventually do my own version of the DMOS Biodrill and Solar particle colletor so this will be more prevelant in the future. Thank you for the feedback

8 hours ago, akron said:

My apologies if I made the requirements a little ambiguous. The DMagic Magnetometers use their own module (Not ScienceAnimate) so they do not work without DMagic Orbital Science at all (And neither should the RPWS). I can fix this, but I figured it would be faster to just point people to use that mod as well since it works perfect for my mod. Is there a wish from you guys for me to make ProbesPlus independent of DMOS? 

I don't think DMagic should be included. Perhaps recommended via CKAN, but not a dependency. I think I just needed to RTFM when I got it wrong :) I just wanted DMagic for animations and the HUGE magentometer for Voyager clones. If magentometers (both pole and truss versions) make it in to P+ and they work without the DMagic mod that would be ideal I think!

1 hour ago, akron said:

Well, if I were to do it, I'd use a MM patch to convert my experiments to DMOS experiments to prevent duplicate science. I plan to eventually do my own version of the DMOS Biodrill and Solar particle colletor so this will be more prevelant in the future. Thank you for the feedback

Now, MM patched for compatibility to keep the duplication process you currently have (in a way) would actually be a good way to get both worlds.  It'd allow those of us who relentlessly use DMOS to keep it and not worry about science duplication (or really, any behavioral change) and others who don't want to run it to still have experiments and not need another dependency.  I can see a lot of benefit to this actually.

2 hours ago, akron said:

I like the dependent version.  While MM versions are good they introduce a lot of maintenance and tertiary modification difficulty.  Regardless, I can say i like your parts quite a bit.

3 hours ago, ondert said:

Do I have to install also DMagic Orbital Science pack?

Like @Bombaatu said, there are a number of my parts that are different versions of DMagic experiments, namely the Magnetometer and the RPWS. Those experiments will not work if you do not have DMagic Orbital Science installed. I am considering changing this, but this is currently the case. I really designed my mod to compliment @DMagic's already existing experiments and adding some of my own (Without custom modules though).

I hope this answers your question :)

Hey akron,

Great Mod!! I love it! :wink:

Great Work!! Thank you!

I think it's ok, that it needs " DMagic Orbital Science pack", it's a great Mod, too! :wink:

Do you have an estimation, when the newest version (0.15) will be available on CKAN?

Edited by N3N

16 hours ago, N3N said:

Do you have an estimation, when the newest version (0.15) will be available on CKAN?

Thank you! I am glad you like the mod! 

I'm staying out of the CKAN config creation, but I suspect someone will have the mod uploaded there not too long after the official release 

14 hours ago, akron said:

I'm staying out of the CKAN config creation, but I suspect someone will have the mod uploaded there not too long after the official release 

Hi akron,

Do you have an estimation, when you will release the next official version?

I'm testing it (out of GitHub) at the moment and till now, I didn't found any bugs. :wink:

6 hours ago, N3N said:

Hi akron,

Do you have an estimation, when you will release the next official version?

I'm testing it (out of GitHub) at the moment and till now, I didn't found any bugs. :wink:

So, "soon" is still the best I can do. I'm doing some tweaks and I got one more part to do. I'd also like to test upgrading with old craft files to make sure it is not a save-file breaking update

5 hours ago, DiscoSlelge said:

I saw this video about the near end of Cassini, I thought you might be interested since you started to made Casini (if you haven't alreday saw it)

I saw that this week. Very nice! I am excited for the new Haynes Space Manual which is going to be Cassini. :D