[WIP] Coatl Aerospace ProbesPlus Dev Thread [Beta] 10/19/2020 (1.8-1.10)

akron

17 minutes ago, akron said:

It depends on the atmosphere. It has a max temp value of 1700, so not too crazy. I think the bigger problem you'll have is that your science instruments will burn up way before the core. Try it out, but I'd shield it if nothing but for the realism.

I can't recall if I jettisoned it while partial or fully deployed. But it just popped... off...? Might be a bug. I'll test it. Did you aerobrake from orbital velocity? or from a higher velocity fly-by?

The instruments don't need survive because Aegis can store experiments. It would be nice to have a dedicated science drop off pod with integrated parachutes and a heat shield/high heat tolerance. Base it off of Hayabusa, Genesis, OSIRIS or even Luna. I always figured that was the purpose of the Aegis pod. In effect this: (Hayabusa's drop pod) 800px-Replica_of_Hayabusa_capsule_at_JAX

1 hour ago, Gibster said:

The instruments don't need survive because Aegis can store experiments. It would be nice to have a dedicated science drop off pod with integrated parachutes and a heat shield/high heat tolerance. Base it off of Hayabusa, Genesis, OSIRIS or even Luna. I always figured that was the purpose of the Aegis pod. In effect this: (Hayabusa's drop pod)

My mini return capsule should still work :)

7 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

My mini return capsule should still work :)

Shameless self-promotion, SMH

1 hour ago, Gibster said:

The instruments don't need survive because Aegis can store experiments. It would be nice to have a dedicated science drop off pod with integrated parachutes and a heat shield/high heat tolerance. Base it off of Hayabusa, Genesis, OSIRIS or even Luna. I always figured that was the purpose of the Aegis pod. In effect this: (Hayabusa's drop pod)

It was not really intended as a return capsule. To be honest it was a very quick build where I did not take the time to find a use for it and just left it up to you guys to see how you could use it. I can make some companion parts to make it an actual return capsule, probably just a cocoon aero shield and parachute. Cobalt's capsule also fits that bill fairly well. Let me know your thoughts

10 minutes ago, akron said:

Shameless self-promotion, SMH

It was not really intended as a return capsule. To be honest it was a very quick build where I did not take the time to find a use for it and just left it up to you guys to see how you could use it. I can make some companion parts to make it an actual return capsule, probably just a cocoon aero shield and parachute. Cobalt's capsule also fits that bill fairly well. Let me know your thoughts

I'll try Cobalt's and report back on how it works. But I also like the idea of integrating something similar in this mod, whether its adapting Aegis or creating a whole new part. It could be a part of other probe replicas that you may decide to integrate later down the line (like the ones I've already mentioned). Up to you, your work is appreciated nonetheless. 

14 hours ago, Kerbal01 said:

aerobrake from a flyby, velocity  at entry about 2.5 km/s

I will test it a couple of times. Thanks

In short other news, I have closed the poll. I think the record speaks clearly. Viking will be BETA 17. 

GeAtsT0.png

I was surprised that some of you want to see Galileo done. I'll have to add more of those parts. Luna seems like a good candidate for BETA 18, maybe with some Lunokhod.

Hey @akron, here's something! The Pioneer Outer Planets Orbiter (POPO?), a 1974 Ames study to affix a propulsion module to the leftover Pioneer H hardware (the one in the Smithsonian now) in order to build an orbiter, either for Jupiter or Saturn. Basically, a relatively low cost precursor / pathfinder flight that could have fed into Galileo and/or Cassini development. I thought I remembered you saying you wanted more propulsion parts... Might be a nice diversion / warm up if you're not up to tackling Viking yet. There are some other differences, the magnetometer boom is a scissor style since it was decided that was kinder to the instruments, as well as what appears to be a new square-shaped equipment bay opposite the trapezoidal one already in the mod.

http://www.ninfinger.org/models/vault2005/Pioneer Outer Planets Orbiter/index.html

PioneerOP1.gifPioneerOP2.gifPioneerOP-equip-bay-dwg.jpgPioneerOP-mag-boom.jpgPioneerOP-prop-bay-dwg.jpg

2 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Hey @akron, here's something! The Pioneer Outer Planets Orbiter (POPO?), a 1974 Ames study to affix a propulsion module to the leftover Pioneer H hardware (the one in the Smithsonian now) in order to build an orbiter, either for Jupiter or Saturn. Basically, a relatively low cost precursor / pathfinder flight that could have fed into Galileo and/or Cassini development. I thought I remembered you saying you wanted more propulsion parts... Might be a nice diversion / warm up if you're not up to tackling Viking yet. There are some other differences, the magnetometer boom is a scissor style since it was decided that was kinder to the instruments, as well as what appears to be a new square-shaped equipment bay opposite the trapezoidal one already in the mod.

http://www.ninfinger.org/models/vault2005/Pioneer Outer Planets Orbiter/index.html

Hot Damn!

I saw this proposed mission on a book I have, but it did not go into such engineering detail. Awesome find. Thank you sir!

7 hours ago, Kerbal01 said:

hopefully small request, could you do the instrumented solar panel on the GOES-R series sat's? The rest is relatively easy to kitbash.

Cool. I'll look into it. I do have other parts I need to finish first, but that does looks interesting. I think I actually have the whole GOES-R line in my list of satellites to look at when doing any more communication/LEO stuff.

@akron  I too have the "Invis-Draco" issue.  Attempting your posted fix.  Will update this post upon success/failure to resolve.

Notes:  Only Draco lander not appearing.  Using Beta 0.16.  No errors (that I can see) in Output_Log except for 8 related to the community fix for the KSOS mod.  I did a search of log file for Draco under the Notepad "Find" function.

@akron  Your suggested fix appears to work.  All parts appearing (not tested function yet) within normal parameters.

Not sure about why the part wasn't appearing, the extra config you uploaded doesn't appear that different from it's original.  Looks like this problem requires more whiskey to solve!

Edited by smotheredrun

On 9/8/2017 at 2:26 AM, akron said:

Choo choo

x4hjRVh.gif

Ok @akron, I have a riddle for you....

Looking at your Cassini here, when facing the Huyguzoonteiht Lander assembly, what is that "thing" coming off the probe core to it's immediate left?  I cannot seem to find that whatchemacallit within the Coatl parts

11 minutes ago, smotheredrun said:

Ok @akron, I have a riddle for you....

Looking at your Cassini here, when facing the Huyguzoonteiht Lander assembly, what is that "thing" coming off the probe core to it's immediate left?  I cannot seem to find that whatchemacallit within the Coatl parts

That's hilarious to read.

It's the particles pallet. It would have delayed released so I moved it to a later release. I'll eventually finish it.

On 3/4/2018 at 5:21 AM, smotheredrun said:

Ah.  Also, I seem to be only able to attach one parachute to the Huyguzoonteiht.  Me thinks I am missing something... like a step

No, it appears that you can only add 1 parachute to it. The drogue or main chute should be enough for the probe to land safely on planets.

9 hours ago, akron said:

Is it too confusing to build right now? I am making some notes on needed changes for patch

Not really, maybe just a note "somewhere" on the parachutes that only one can be installed on the Draco.  Other then that, by using some very simple Google Image-fu and KSP forum search-fu,  it is pretty easy to build something that looks like your pictured Cassini-Huyguzoonteiht.

15 hours ago, smotheredrun said:

Not really, maybe just a note "somewhere" on the parachutes that only one can be installed on the Draco.  Other then that, by using some very simple Google Image-fu and KSP forum search-fu,  it is pretty easy to build something that looks like your pictured Cassini-Huyguzoonteiht.

I am planning to add a node to the top of the aeroshell and heatshield. To at least make that part of it easier to assemble. As it stands, it's the HS that attaches to Cassini, as in RL. Might just be too confusing. You'll still only have the one parachute node.

50 minutes ago, RaiderMan said:

error on trying to load craft ca-torekka, part(s) missing, dmmagboom.

Sounds like you don't have Dmagic Orbital science installed. That's not one of my parts