[WIP] Coatl Aerospace ProbesPlus Dev Thread [Beta] 10/19/2020 (1.8-1.10)

akron

22 hours ago, JoE Smash said:

It's just too much.....I also don't want to have to remember to attach 20 or 30 different science experiments in symmetry to every rocket/probe/space plane I build

My solution for this is to simply not worry about using every science part for every vessel. I like to think of it more like how real world probes work, where each has just a handful of experiments.

So instead of strip-mining every biome with every experiment just put a few different science parts on each probe and collect however much science is needed. Unless you are the completionist type and have some intense need to collect everything available I think it works out pretty well. And you avoid having to resort to drastically reducing the science gain amount, which just makes things tedious.

Another thing to consider is to use my science multiplier mod and reduce the science gains for Kerbin, the Mun and Minmus. That way you stretch out how long it takes to complete the tech tree while giving yourself more of an incentive to explore the other planets.

6 hours ago, KspNoob1337 said:

Akron, Have you planned added New Horizonts probe?

Yes, it's on the to-do. I've got one of the science experiments for it in-game. I'll try to get it done at some point ahead of the Ultima Thule fly-by

Any idea of a setting or a filter extension I somehow jacked up that would cause your mod's parts as well as several other mod's parts (Kerbalized spaceX, Deep Sky) sort mass by the parts dry weight whereas stock parts are sorting by the part's wet weight (fuel and other supplies included in total weight for sorting).

I guess it's not a big deal, but for some reason it's driving me totally insane that technically heavier parts are sorting as if they are lighter than they truly are by not including fuel or other supplies in the part when sorting.....

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hdwj6aluwl4lik1/KSP Errors.rar?dl=0

I've tried deleting and redownloading vanilla files via steam, as well as uninstalling and reinstalling affected mods via CKAN. I've also uninstalled mods that I thought might cause this effect somehow like interstellar fuel switch and configurable containers (as they can switch fuel types in certain parts).

I'm so tired of trying to get this figured out that I am ready to just quit playing KSP and play one of my 300 other Steam games....

Edited by JoE Smash

17 hours ago, akron said:

Yes, it's on the to-do. I've got one of the science experiments for it in-game. I'll try to get it done at some point ahead of the Ultima Thule fly-by

AAAAAnd, Will You add "MARS" probe of Ussr Program? (p.s. want a small "3"? take) з

11 hours ago, KspNoob1337 said:

AAAAAnd, Will You add "MARS" probe of Ussr Program? (p.s. want a small "3"? take) з

Yes, I will. I was looking at what it would take to convert the existing Venera parts into a Soviet Mars mission. I guess it would depend on the demand for those over other missions first.

11 hours ago, JoE Smash said:

Annnnnd will you make a new model for everything that expands, but make it expand one third as far?

Pleeease?

Thanks!

(See how annoying that is?)

Uhhhh... not sure if you're serious. Unfortunately, no. It would take far too much work re-doing all the models, textures, and animations for such a small gain. Please let me get to the new stuff :) 

12 hours ago, akron said:

Yes, I will. I was looking at what it would take to convert the existing Venera parts into a Soviet Mars mission. I guess it would depend on the demand for those over other missions first.

Uhhhh... not sure if you're serious. Unfortunately, no. It would take far too much work re-doing all the models, textures, and animations for such a small gain. Please let me get to the new stuff :) 

I was kidding and mimicking the prior post.

I do have a serious question that I have been asking around in a few threads like modded technical support.....but of course no one has answered my question in any thread for days....

So most of the stock parts in the game, like solid rocket boosters....or any stock part with fuel, sort by mass as the total wet weight with fuel included in the total weight. Parts in mods like your command pods, and the dragon/space bug pods from Kerbalized SpaceX, sort by mass on the parts list as if they are empty and have no fuel or supplies that are normally included....so they show up on the parts list mixed in with much lighter parts even though they all spawn with fuel by default....so they are actually technically heavier than the parts they are mixed in with on the parts list....

This basically makes sorting by mass useless, as most parts actually sort the way stock vanilla parts do (with fuel included) which I am used to....but other parts in a hanful of particular mods do not...

I have so far tried deleting all vanilla folders in the game and reacquiring them through Steam, and I have deleted and reinstalled the affected mods through CKAN and I have deleted and reinstalled mod manager itself, as well as Tac Fuel Balancer, Interstellar Fuel Switch and Configurable Containers (basically anything I could think of that would somehow affect the fuel in multiple different mods).

So far nothing has resolved this. The Probes Plus parts with fuel and supplies included in the parts, as well as parts from several other different mods continue to sort as if they are empty.....and are mixed in with parts that are full. 

Obviously this is not a game breaking issue, but I seems to be driving me insane....

So any ideas on what is causing this to occur and any ideas on how to fix it?

I just realized I basically already asked this question here a day ago....

I guess the easiest solution is to just uninstall the affected mods if it's bothering me. I was just wondering if there was an actual fix for this that I could apply, so I could fix the sorting of the affected mods. I wonder if @linuxgurugamer has any idea what could be going on....he seems wicked smart because he fixes so many different things in the game with mods already....

Edited by JoE Smash

@JoE Smash Legit no clue what it could be. I just tried it on my test install, which has KSP, Expansion, DMOS, and my mod and the fuel tanks sort correctly.

Do you have any custom fuel mods or something? That could be it. I believe that the ModuleManager log will tell you all the modifications done to a part or fuel type

2 hours ago, akron said:

@JoE Smash Legit no clue what it could be. I just tried it on my test install, which has KSP, Expansion, DMOS, and my mod and the fuel tanks sort correctly.

Do you have any custom fuel mods or something? That could be it. I believe that the ModuleManager log will tell you all the modifications done to a part or fuel type

So when you sort command pods or fuel tanks by mass, they all sort according to their full wet weight and not by dry empty weight?

One of the issues I just realized is CKAN stopped actually removing mods I told it to, as they were still checked and on the list. Rebooting it fixed it (I think). 

I don't quite understand why it leaves folders behind after uninstalling. Like tweakscale has a bunch of folders and a config file left, and patch manager has a bunch of files left relating to @linuxgurugamer's recycled parts mod for freescape/capsuledyne but I don't have freescape recycled parts OR patch manager installed according to CKAN.

So CKAN does a worse job of removing stuff you tell it to remove than it does installing stuff you tell it to install it seems....

When I tell something to remove something, I don’t want random pieces of things left behind...that's probably how your game sometimes gets corrupted over time.

1 minute ago, JoE Smash said:

So when you sort command pods or fuel tanks by mass, they all sort according to their full wet weight and not by dry empty weight?

Correct

I haven't used CKAN since before KSP 1.0 so I don't run into these issues. There could very well be conflicting configs, though I still encourage checking for mods that change fuels

2 minutes ago, akron said:

Correct

I haven't used CKAN since before KSP 1.0 so I don't run into these issues. There could very well be conflicting configs, though I still encourage checking for mods that change fuels

On it....I'll at least get back to you if I actually ever sort it out. I'm almost at the point were I delete the whole KSP folder and start over from the beginning....

Now module manager has found 131 errors all related to Tweakscale.cfg's. They all look like mods that were affected by this weight issue.....

Probes Plus, Deep Sky, OPT, etc....

Now when this happens how do you fix the errors exactly?

Last time I had errors, they were present in start up everytime I restarted the game until I wiped it and started over.....

21 minutes ago, JoE Smash said:

One of the issues I just realized is CKAN stopped actually removing mods I told it to, as they were still checked and on the list. Rebooting it fixed it (I think). 

I don't quite understand why it leaves folders behind after uninstalling. Like tweakscale has a bunch of folders and a config file left, and patch manager has a bunch of files left relating to @linuxgurugamer's recycled parts mod for freescape/capsuledyne but I don't have freescape recycled parts OR patch manager installed according to CKAN.

So CKAN does a worse job of removing stuff you tell it to remove than it does installing stuff you tell it to install it seems....

When I tell something to remove something, I don’t want random pieces of things left behind...that's probably how your game sometimes gets corrupted over time.

How can it remove files it doesn't know about?  CKAN removes files it installs;  if the mod creates it's own files, then CKAN doesn't know about those.

Consider this:  Sometimes people will remove a mod for a bit, and then reinstall it, and expect their configs to still be there.   If CKAN deleted files willy-nilly, then those people will get upset.

Nothing is perfect.  I can say that I maintain my all my installs with CKAN, currently my main game has 246 mods installed by CKAN, one mod installed by hand, and a folder of my local patches.  I have never had a problem with CKAN corrupting a game or an install.  EVER!!!!

3 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

How can it remove files it doesn't know about?  CKAN removes files it installs;  if the mod creates it's own files, then CKAN doesn't know about those.

Consider this:  Sometimes people will remove a mod for a bit, and then reinstall it, and expect their configs to still be there.   If CKAN deleted files willy-nilly, then those people will get upset.

Nothing is perfect.  I can say that I maintain my all my installs with CKAN, currently my main game has 246 mods installed by CKAN, one mod installed by hand, and a folder of my local patches.  I have never had a problem with CKAN corrupting a game or an install.  EVER!!!!

I get that you love CKAN and will defend it to the grave, but it gives me a lot of issues and the apparent resolution is to delete my game and start over from scratch typically.

I have used it to uninstall and install all of my mods except for one as well, but unlike you I don't understand why it leaves stuff behind and what to do about it because I'm not a computer genius, I'm just a dude who plays video games.

What does ModuleManager.ConfigSHA do?

I noticed after my last attempt to fix this, that file is now gonzo from my folder. 

I just have ModuleManager.Physics and .TechTree.

6 minutes ago, JoE Smash said:

What does ModuleManager.ConfigSHA do?

I noticed after my last attempt to fix this, that file is now gonzo from my folder.

Nothing to do with CKAN, it's a file used by ModuleManager.  If missing, it will be recreated.

When you uninstall a mod, CKAN cannot and will not delete files it did not create.  So, if you are deleting a mod, it is incumbent on you to make sure that all non-distributed files are deleted.  Sorry if you don't understand this, but if CKAN were to delete those files, there would be howls of protests from other people who would be complaining about CKAN deleting files it shouldn't be deleting.

The only things I dropped in myself were Kerbal Konstructs and Kerbin side because it didn't have the latest version at the time. 

I added that Command Seat file you uploaded, but deleted it a while ago.

I added a folder called 1.4 fixes that makes the parts appear if you force dx11, but I just removed that fix folder, removed forcing dx11, removed textures unlimited and james webb telescope with it.

Reloaded the game and it still persists.

I'm down to 80 mods....

Going to keep ditching stuff until this is sorted I guess.....

I have an idea, but currently I'm having a smoke and I'm downloading the vanilla KSP stuff from Steam.

When I get in I'll start it up see if its still happening, and if it is then start a new game to see if my save file is what is corrupted....

New game also mixed up sorting....

It's also like parts no longer have nice round numbers anymore either....like somehow the actual weight of fuel is messed up....or it's density or something.....but I never messed with that, nor do I know how to....

9 hours ago, JoE Smash said:

New game also mixed up sorting....

Means it's your mods and not the savegame. Sorry we couldn't help. I'd keep posting info at your other post here and wait for someone to have an answer as my thread won't get you the right visibility.

In the meantime, if it bothers you that much, there's nothing short of nuking it. Re-install the game from scratch along with all mods. I do mean from scratch: Delete all folders! (Backup your save if you want). You can also just do a second install to test. I usually have like 3-4 KSP installs simultaneously to test and play my own career save

Edited by akron

3 hours ago, akron said:

Means it's your mods and not the savegame. Sorry we couldn't help. I'd keep posting info at your other post here and wait for someone to have an answer as my thread won't get you the right visibility.

In the meantime, if it bothers you that much, there's nothing short of nuking it. Re-install the game from scratch along with all mods. I do mean from scratch: Delete all folders! (Backup your save if you want). You can also just do a second install to test. I usually have like 3-4 KSP installs simultaneously to test and play my own career save

That is basically where I am at. I was trying to figure out how to delete my old posts here to clean up your thread, but I didn't see a button to do that.....sorry about the mess.

I still have like 60 mods left, no idea how any of the ones left could possible cause this to happen.

I uninstalled the game again last night and reinstalled it.....it's still going on. It has to be in one of the mods left somehow (even though it makes no sense) or it's in a folder left behind that was "uninstalled."

Thanks for trying....

1 hour ago, JoE Smash said:

That is basically where I am at. I was trying to figure out how to delete my old posts here to clean up your thread, but I didn't see a button to do that.....sorry about the mess.

I still have like 60 mods left, no idea how any of the ones left could possible cause this to happen.

I uninstalled the game again last night and reinstalled it.....it's still going on. It has to be in one of the mods left somehow (even though it makes no sense) or it's in a folder left behind that was "uninstalled."

Thanks for trying....

It's no big deal. I hope you get it figured out!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having an issue on my career save where the Landvermesser legs won't deploy (I have the option in the VAB but they only move a small amount before returning to the stowed position, and I don't even get the option in the right-click menu in flight scene). The output log is below, you can scroll to the bottom for the messages that start when I press the gear key in the flight scene. Look for the sentence that starts "DragCubeSystem:" and it's that plus the next 20 ish lines.

output.log