[WIP] Coatl Aerospace ProbesPlus Dev Thread [Beta] 10/19/2020 (1.8-1.10)

akron

@Gordon Dry Thanks for checking. However, I do use more functionality of Firespitter than just the texture switch. There was also a problem with my using IS texture switch. I don't remember what, but that's why I use Firespitter. You still need to have Firespitter installed if you use Textures Unlimited, TU only takes over the texture assignment and switching. I'll probably continue using this method for now and until I can overhaul the system. I've even considered using the new stock system.

Well, the texture switching worked with TU and IFS - without FS installed at all.

Also the mesh switching worked.

Perhaps because I use that generic patch I mentioned before:
GameData\zFinal\zzz_IFS_instead_FS.cfg

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[FStextureSwitch]]:NEEDS[InterstellarFuelSwitch]:BEFORE[InterstellarFuelSwitch]
{
	@MODULE[FStextureSwitch]
	{
		@name = InterstellarTextureSwitch
	}
}

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[FStextureSwitch2]]:NEEDS[InterstellarFuelSwitch]:BEFORE[InterstellarFuelSwitch]
{
	@MODULE[FStextureSwitch2]
	{
		@name = InterstellarTextureSwitch2
	}
}

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[FSmeshSwitch]]:NEEDS[InterstellarFuelSwitch]:BEFORE[InterstellarFuelSwitch]
{
	@MODULE[FSmeshSwitch]
	{
		@name = InterstellarMeshSwitch
	}
}

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[FSfuelSwitch]]:NEEDS[InterstellarFuelSwitch]:BEFORE[InterstellarFuelSwitch]
{
	@MODULE[FSfuelSwitch]
	{
		@name = InterstellarFuelSwitch
	}
}

23 hours ago, akron said:

@Gordon Dry Thanks for checking. However, I do use more functionality of Firespitter than just the texture switch. There was also a problem with my using IS texture switch. I don't remember what, but that's why I use Firespitter. You still need to have Firespitter installed if you use Textures Unlimited, TU only takes over the texture assignment and switching. I'll probably continue using this method for now and until I can overhaul the system. I've even considered using the new stock system.

Who uses IFS anymore? Most modders I know are moving to B9PS or the stock module if they literally only need texture switching. I'm sticking with B9PS, the upcoming features are pretty insane.

@CobaltWolf I'll have to get with you at some point to see if you can help me figure out what's wrong on my end. I remember someone looking at it with me during one of my early stream and nothing would work. I'd use it for part switching and texture switching, sometimes simultaneously; i.e. texture switch a part you can toggle on/off.

There's also the chance of a rotorblade engine at some point in the mod's future, so I may need FS then

Now I finally have to admit that this part pack is afaik the only one with an empty space in the folder name ... I cannot get FilterExtensions to show a custom category with this patch because of that:

CATEGORY:NEEDS[Coatl?Aerospace]
{
	name = Coatl Aerospace
	icon = CoatlAerospace
	colour = #FFF0F0F0
	all = true

FILTER
	{
		CHECK
		{
			type = folder
			value = Coatl Aerospace
		}
	}

SUBCATEGORIES
	{
		list = 0,Pods
		list = 1,Fuel Tanks
		list = 2,Engines
		list = 3,Command and Control
		list = 4,Structural
		list = 5,Coupling
		list = 6,Payload
		list = 7,Aerodynamics
		list = 8,Ground
		list = 9,Thermal
		list = 10,Electrical
		list = 11,Communications
		list = 12,Science
		list = 13,Utility
		list = 14,Undefined
	}
} 

I tried getting this to work a while ago. The only workaround I came up with is to drop the "Needs"

CATEGORY
{
	name = Coatl Aerospace
	icon = coatl
	colour = #FFF0F0F0
	all = true

FILTER
	{
		CHECK
		{
			type = folder
			value = Coatl Aerospace
		}
	}

SUBCATEGORIES
	{
		list = 0,Pods
		list = 1,Fuel Tanks
		list = 2,Engines
		list = 3,Command and Control
		list = 4,Structural
		list = 5,Coupling
		list = 6,Payload
		list = 7,Aerodynamics
		list = 8,Ground
		list = 9,Thermal
		list = 10,Electrical
		list = 11,Communications
		list = 12,Science
		list = 13,Utility
		list = 14,Undefined
	}
}

On 11/23/2018 at 11:12 AM, Kerbal01 said:

Is it possible to have a variant of the new mariner panels without the solar panel vanes?

The Mariner 5+ panels will not have solar vanes. If you absolutely have to have Mariner 4 panels without vanes, I can circle back around and do a mesh toggle setup for it

I am working on some issues with mesh transforms, but the imaging platform has been completed and all Mariner 6/7 parts are imported in Unity. I just need to fix said transform issue before getting it in-game. Hoping to do so this week.

m6-wip-002.png

m6-wip-003.png

Please ignore Unity's ugly normals. I only use its normal map generator for previews

1 hour ago, sslaptnhablhat said:

@akron Just curious, what will you be working on after Mariner? I'd personally love to see Mariner-derived spacecraft, eg. Galileo, Magellan, Viking, or perhaps a more modern spacecraft, like New Horizons.

Viking will be part of this release. After this long-winded release is done and out, the plan is to work on some more Russian inspired parts, including my first rover, Lunokhod

29 minutes ago, akron said:

Viking will be part of this release. After this long-winded release is done and out, the plan is to work on some more Russian inspired parts, including my first rover, Lunokhod

Just a suggestion, but have you considered any 4MV-derived probes, like Mars 2-7, or Astron? They must be easier to recreate, as the 4MV bus is already implemented in the mod, and thus would require much fewer parts.

4 minutes ago, sslaptnhablhat said:

Just a suggestion, but have you considered any 4MV-derived probes, like Mars 2-7, or Astron? They must be easier to recreate, as the 4MV bus is already implemented in the mod, and thus would require much fewer parts.

Absolutely, yes. But the current Vega-based parts need an overhaul before I'm willing to use them for any other missions

30 minutes ago, serg1983 said:

do not know in what fashion you can find the engine LEROS-1b for Juno ?

You must search for Hera, not for Juno. Juno is called Hera in this Mod.

On 1/29/2018 at 1:32 PM, akron said:

Small update:

I did a LOT of new science configs for the Outer Planets Mod. I only have about 2 or 3 bodies left to complete so there'll be something for each experiment with varying amounts of effort. I also started laying out the UVs for Cassinis imaging pallet and completed the rest of y'alls bonus parts.

Speaking of that, here it is, introducing HE2RA (Or just Hera):

FYN52rj.png

I modeled the hexagonal bus, a small cube bus (Juno's vault), the HGA, and two versions of the solar panels (one with the Magnetometer). The Leros-1 engine and perhaps science instruments may come in a later update. Someone was asking a while ago if I was making larger parts. These will now be the mod's largest probe parts. Here's a size comparison to the stock HECS-II

nBOjnX2.png

I am fixing an issue with the solar panels recharge angle and the RCS module on the bus and then these will be up on Github. Hopefully later today

~cheers

@akron What ever happened to that SSTL mod you helped out with? Do you know why the developer went silent one day, and will they be returning to modding in the future?

Not to sound rude or anything, I'm just really excited for this, BDB and Tantares' upcoming updates, but what probes will 0.17 include, and approximately how close to release is it?

8 minutes ago, sslaptnhablhat said:

@akron What ever happened to that SSTL mod you helped out with? Do you know why the developer went silent one day, and will they be returning to modding in the future?

At this moment the SSTL-300S1 is the only hardware I have contributed, but the option remains for more spacecraft to be added later

11 minutes ago, sslaptnhablhat said:

Not to sound rude or anything, I'm just really excited for this, BDB and Tantares' upcoming updates, but what probes will 0.17 include, and approximately how close to release is it?

Parts from Mariners 4-9 and a couple of other tweaks, improvements and fixes. This includes some engine upgrades and updates to Surveyor parts. Viking is next after that, but I don't know if I will include it on this next release. It really is up to what you guys think. Squad has been releasing new versions of KSP in relatively short intervals, which makes the traditional mod "release" model a huge pain to keep up with.

I don't have an ETA on release, but as soon as I fix a bunch of issues with these parts, they will be up on Github