[WIP] Coatl Aerospace ProbesPlus Dev Thread [Beta] 10/19/2020 (1.8-1.10)

akron

I'll try to get it posted later tonight.

KSP Log:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/g61coa8zt1cdb9q/KSP.log?dl=0

Some additional info as well:  The next higher tech solar panels (I don't remember the names, one is a slim folding 1x3, the other I tried is a larger 1x2) worked normally.  When I made the test pod to test those, I also stuck two ET-120's on it as well - one already deployed & one stowed.  The already deployed one started  tracking as soon as the craft loaded on the pad, the stowed one (after I deployed it) didn't move.   I took a screenshot, but forgot to copy it off my KSP computer.

Edited by Cavscout74

Is anyone else having the same issue as Cavscout? I can't replicate it. Actually, my KSP test install is pretty buggy and messed up so I probably gotta reinstall it -again-

It would help to know if this is more widespread.

Small update:

Corrected dimensions on the TDE thrusters and began adding detail to the bus. I also got the cameras done. Here's a quick update preview with the wip spacecraft logo inspired by the original Viking patch

XlolvPH.png

41 minutes ago, akron said:

Corrected dimensions on the TDE thrusters and began adding detail to the bus. I also got the cameras done. Here's a quick update preview with the wip spacecraft logo inspired by the original Viking patch 

Nice! hey if anyone is interested in why the landing thrusters look like a shower head - here's why (click the tweet to go to twitter site and read the thread)

Edited by Drew Kerman

4 hours ago, Drew Kerman said:

Nice! hey if anyone is interested in why the landing thrusters look like a shower head - here's why (click the tweet to go to twitter site and read the thread)

Thank you! Good info on that thread but it's tough to read on that Twitter format.

Spoiler

TL;DR: The 18 Nozzles are designed to distribute the exhaust of the engine to minimize the disturbance of the landing site. By contrast, a craft like the Apollo LEM blew away a lot of dust during landing. Viking needed to keep those particles within reach for science!

Furthermore, while the MR-80 had 18 nozzles, it is still a single engine putting out about 2700 Newtons of thrust. The three MR-80 also interestingly provided the lander's pitch/yaw control via differential thrust. Roll was provided by the tank-mounted RCS system which shared the propellant with the MR-80 engines; 83.9 Kg of Hydrazine. 

Edited by akron

I often have a issue that some textures are not loading.
There are some erros in the Log like this:

[ERR 11:54:00.488] Texture 'Coatl Aerospace/ProbesPlus/Assets/mat_stock_N_NRM' not found!

After restart of KSP the textures loads but other parts have no textures. Sometimes everything is OK. it happen randomly and only Probes Plus is affected.

KSP 1.6.1.

6 hours ago, Cheesecake said:

I often have a issue that some textures are not loading.
There are some erros in the Log like this:

After restart of KSP the textures loads but other parts have no textures. Sometimes everything is OK. it happen randomly and only Probes Plus is affected.

KSP 1.6.1.

I have seen this a lot before. As long as Textures Unlimited and/or Firespitter are loading correctly, you can ignore the message. 

It is caused by having a texture reference line in Unity for a texture that no longer exists. Firespitter or TU overwrite Unity's texture assignment anyway so the texture should still load so long as those two are working correctly. I lost track of which parts had the issues and just can't be bothered to fix the texture name typo in Unity since it works fine in-game.

It's been a little bit slow going but trying to keep progress steady. HGA and mast assembly are mostly done. Hoping to not regret all the detail for when the time comes to UV and texture the bloody thing, probably looking at a 2K texture. RTG covers are still just a block-in. Will move on to the LGA S-band and UHF antennae next, along with a bit more deck and bus detail. The RTG/Fuel tank might be next after those, then science parts.

It's starting to look the part, though.

Zxmn7Qf.png

AeJjFFy.png

I hate to post tiny bits of progress but I am trying to stay more focused to complete sections, so I figured might as well. Antennas are finished and I took a whack at the RTG covers.

c2J3r3M.png

Cool story: Once I did these new RTG covers with somewhat proper dimensions, they ended up wider than the block-in which forced me to shift them a little bit on the Z+ axis so they would not clip into the cameras. Originally I wanted to leave them exactly in the middle for simplicity. Anyway, this more or less lined them up with the real Viking spacecraft which actually had them shifted in Z+ pretty much the same way I had to, except on the real spacecraft it was done to line up the Center of Mass. I must be doing something right.

Will smooth that front curve with maybe some bevels but for now, don't talk to me or my son RTG covers again. These things are a major pain with weird angles and some other BS. Anyone wanna UV unwrap this thing when it's done? I will literally ship you a cookie.

7 hours ago, drtedastro said:

looking great....

cheers.

Thank you! I am happy how it's turning out

EDIT: I ended up fiddling with the RTG covers and I improved the jagged curve at the front, but forgot to take a screenshot. :( 

Edited by akron

Hello all! Please pardon the lack of recent updates. Had some sudden maintenance work I've had to do at home this week. Can't wait to get back to work on this hopefully Sunday-Monday

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/20/2019 at 3:11 PM, drtedastro said:

No worries......

RL must take priority.  As RL creates the R$'s that are needed...

Thanks for all of your work that you have done

Cheers.

Said it before and saying it again...

Happy for what ever work you can do, WHENEVER you can...

thanks...

11 hours ago, bobjonesisthebest:D said:

"Please pardon the lack of recent updates. Had some sudden maintenance work I've had to do at home this week. Can't wait to get back to work on this hopefully Sunday-Monday" ITS BEEN A MONTH.

thats not a SUNDAY MONDAY.

ok I needed to get that out if my system. I miss this mod and wish you well.

Please don`t pester the modder. If a day, a week or a month... It is his mod and he alone decide when it keep going on.

I miss this mod and wish you well.

Why missing? It works with the newest KSP-versions. So you can use this mod.

No worries, I did get back to it but I didn't finish any complete sections so I don't anything fancy to show off. I've been testing the game in 1.7 and then 1.7.1 with the new DLC to see if there's anything Breaking Ground considerations I need to have. Doesn't look that way.

From my testing though, things are wonky and a little incomplete in 1.7.1 modding compatibility-wise. If you're still using ProbesPlus! parts I would suggest staying at 1.6 or 1.7.0 (No DLC) especially if playing career mode.

7 hours ago, akron said:

No worries, I did get back to it but I didn't finish any complete sections so I don't anything fancy to show off. I've been testing the game in 1.7 and then 1.7.1 with the new DLC to see if there's anything Breaking Ground considerations I need to have. Doesn't look that way.

From my testing though, things are wonky and a little incomplete in 1.7.1 modding compatibility-wise. If you're still using ProbesPlus! parts I would suggest staying at 1.6 or 1.7.0 (No DLC) especially if playing career mode.

Just curious, what type of issues are you having with 1.7.1?

13 hours ago, Spike88 said:

Just curious, what type of issues are you having with 1.7.1?

A few mods not loading correctly and throwing MM errors, including Firespitter, which is a dependency for textures

On 6/9/2019 at 10:15 PM, KerBlitz Kerman said:

@akron, I just want to say thank you  for this amazin' mod (and for devoting so much time to the community)! Both the parts and textures AND  implementation are fantastic!!! Keep it up!!!

Thank you for your kind words. I sincerely appreciate it! I wish I could work more and faster. Got so much left to do still!

On 6/10/2019 at 4:58 PM, Cheesecake said:

For me Firespitter and your mod works well in 1.7.1.

After some voodoo I think I got it working but there are still some issues. The texture system might need an overhaul

• 2 weeks later...

Hello to all, and many thanks to akron, the great.....

i am having a small issue with the  CA-AE20 HGA antenna and solar panel on the landvermesser lander.

the ant is deploying correctly ,,,, but,,,, the sun tracking seems to not like 1.7.2

Is this one of those 'things' that firespitter might be causing??

I have looked and searched through the log and see nothing that is a smoking gun...

Hey, if this is the worst thing that happens to me in ksp this month, it will be a GREAT month....

I think i have killed more little green munchkins this month than ever before...

sad, so sad..... NOT.. lol

Again, thanks for this mod and all of the work that you have done and keep doing.

cheers.

NOTE: i found a ref to this problem back a few pages. i will try to go to map and then back to see if that kick starts it for now.

kool.

Edited by drtedastro
more info.