[WIP] Coatl Aerospace ProbesPlus Dev Thread [Beta] 10/19/2020 (1.8-1.10)

akron

26 minutes ago, akron said:

Amazing, thank you!

Be aware I haven't thoroughly tested every function of every part, so there may very well be some issues. But I've used my normal fairly representative cross section of your parts and haven't run into anything.

Quick update: Not dead. Just really busy at work, so I haven't been able to mod or like have a life, really.

On 8/6/2019 at 4:10 PM, Nigel J. Cardozo said:

@akron I really appreciate your work. Thank you for making accurate probe parts for us to use. Thanks once again!!

Cheers! I am glad you like them!

Edited by akron

2 hours ago, akron said:

Quick update: Not dead. Just really busy at work, so I haven't been able to mod or like have a life, really.

Cheers! I am glad you like them!

The fact that we cannot mod for kerbal full time is capitalism crushing us under its murderous jackboots.

CobaltWolf made me do it! :/   Probes Plus and BDB are a match made in heaven.  More payloads!

https://github.com/friznit/Unofficial-BDB-Wiki/wiki/Satellites.

I've knocked up a few historical launch vehicles as well for a bit of fun.  I'm sure there are plenty more probes that can be built with Probes Plus, but I've mostly focused on the US stuff to complement BDB.

I have all the craft files so I can bundle them up and stick them in a github ticket if you would like?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, sslaptnhablhat said:

@akron Any fantastic progress to share as of late?

I've been tweaking some models, including Viking but no major progress. I did get a chance to model a new engine

W8KCFkD.png

I have another part I made progress on, but I'm keeping it secret for now

Edited by akron

21 hours ago, TheKSPBeginner said:

What happened to the rovers? Are they in development?

There have never been any rovers in CA. I don't think they're in development yet.

On 9/15/2019 at 9:46 PM, akron said:

I've been tweaking some models, including Viking but no major progress.

Just wondering, approx. how long til release?

On 9/15/2019 at 9:46 PM, akron said:

I did get a chance to model a new engine

Neat, is it a redone Lahar?

On 9/17/2019 at 3:55 PM, TheKSPBeginner said:

What happened to the rovers? Are they in development?

Like @sslaptnhablhat said, they're planned but not in active development.

8 hours ago, sslaptnhablhat said:

Just wondering, approx. how long til release?

Honestly could not tell you. Been super busy and a little bit discouraged by I think the fact that KSP won't really let me do the mission like I really want to.

In all honestly if anyone is willing to take a look at what they might be able to do to replicate Viking's Biology experiments in KSP, whether it be new code or using another mod to add functionality, I would be forever grateful. I absolutely do not want the science suite to be just a right-click thing.

8 hours ago, sslaptnhablhat said:

Neat, is it a redone Lahar?

Probably, I hadn't thought about when I made it but I think it's the right fit. 

• 3 weeks later...

I've noticed something odd about this mod- all the RCS thrusters have really massive plumes compared to the stock parts- about 10 times bigger- and for some reason they all go in the opposite direction e.g. if you thrust forwards, the plumes point forwards rather than backwards, which is the opposite of the stock ones (and the laws of physics!)

I also seem to be missing the "Draco" lander core which means some of the pre-built craft don't work. The downloaded files I got from curseforge have two copies of everything in them- one inside the GameData folder and the other inside the CoatlAerospace folder, meaning there are two copies of everything in the tech tree.

I was going to ask for some kind of assembly manual to build the various probes e.g. Quetzal or Vorona, but then I found those craft files- thanks for those!  

1 hour ago, jimmymcgoochie said:

I've noticed something odd about this mod- all the RCS thrusters have really massive plumes compared to the stock parts- about 10 times bigger- and for some reason they all go in the opposite direction e.g. if you thrust forwards, the plumes point forwards rather than backwards,

Are you sure you got the latest version of Probes Plus?  That happened to pretty much everything when the Unity engine was upgraded with 1.4 - so pretty much anything pre-1.4 has that problem.

1 hour ago, jimmymcgoochie said:

I also seem to be missing the "Draco" lander core which means some of the pre-built craft don't work

There is a fix for this a few pages quite a few pages back, there was a missing or corrupted file, I can't remember the details.  There's a link for downloading the file.

On 10/10/2019 at 7:56 PM, Cavscout74 said:

Are you sure you got the latest version of Probes Plus?  That happened to pretty much everything when the Unity engine was upgraded with 1.4 - so pretty much anything pre-1.4 has that problem

I'm at the most recent version on curseforge (0.16) and version 1.7.3 for KSP itself. Will try installing 0.16.1 from github, maybe that will solve the problem.

On 9/18/2019 at 9:19 PM, akron said:

In all honestly if anyone is willing to take a look at what they might be able to do to replicate Viking's Biology experiments in KSP, whether it be new code or using another mod to add functionality, I would be forever grateful. I absolutely do not want the science suite to be just a right-click thing.

While granted I'm unsure of how we might go about it for KSP, perhaps you can leverage some of Breaking Ground's code for this purpose? The seismic experiment seems to have some sort of code that looks for an event in order to trigger a science gain, so if we can apply that to any arbitrary event, then it would be rather trivial to mock up the actual experiments themselves. 

Have the landers consume resources to perform experiments (beyond just power) and require that multiple experiment attempts (either at different times or in a wide variety of locations, or both) be performed in order to generate science. 

With the release of 1.8 I decided to start checking my mods to see what's broken with the big update and it would seem something with ProbesPlus! Or it's dependencies is causing an issue during the load screen. I get stuck at verifying expansion: breaking ground. So I just wanted to let you know there seems to be something going on there.

Thanks for all the hard work!

5 hours ago, Jesse-Lacey said:

With the release of 1.8 I decided to start checking my mods to see what's broken with the big update and it would seem something with ProbesPlus! Or it's dependencies is causing an issue during the load screen. I get stuck at verifying expansion: breaking ground. So I just wanted to let you know there seems to be something going on there.

Thanks for all the hard work!

New KSP version releases are pretty much guaranteed to break mods. So, yes, it is likely a dependency.

Just an FYI, for those trying to get the latest version of things, always download the latest Github repo for the absolute newest stuff. Even though it has not been updated in a bit, it is still the latest version of the mod's files. I am not going to be updating other mod sites with alpha releases, including bug fixes, because it is just too cumbersome and will get confusing.

On 10/17/2019 at 4:32 AM, akron said:

New KSP version releases are pretty much guaranteed to break mods. So, yes, it is likely a dependency.

Just an FYI, for those trying to get the latest version of things, always download the latest Github repo for the absolute newest stuff. Even though it has not been updated in a bit, it is still the latest version of the mod's files. I am not going to be updating other mod sites with alpha releases, including bug fixes, because it is just too cumbersome and will get confusing.

Will do! Yeah I figured it's one of the two dependencies for your mod but I was only able to narrow it down to one of the three when I was testing. I know it's kind of a vague report I just wanted to make you aware something is conflicting.

Edit:: Just an update I was able to narrow it down to FirespitterCore causing it for me.

Edited by Jesse-Lacey