[WIP] Coatl Aerospace ProbesPlus Dev Thread [Beta] 10/19/2020 (1.8-1.10)

akron

Oh, I absolutely understand that, I've done exactly the same, for example, with those Delta-V map re-colorings, so I don't have to do that much work when updates change the △v values, and much the same in many other ways - I simply seemed to recall having seen you post once something about texturing (I had start to volunteer once in the past but realized I had no free time), and now that I had some of said free time, thought I'd throw it out there, but it would make sense that, especially if you're focused on other aspects of the mod, as far along as you are now, that you'd be working from some pretty solid templates and not really need much assistance.

As for high-polys, most people I know don't care for making them if they can get away with it. But then, there's always that roughly 1 in 5 modelers, it seems like, who love going utterly insane on them, so I always think to ask. 

I did some work tonight since the stream will be late and brief, if I can even make it due to work. Here is a first texture draft of the new "MAVEN" inspired probe core, CA-Q06-M 'Tatsujin' Feedback welcomed!

~Cheers

A4nk6hA.png

Tonight's twitch stream is still a go. It will be later than usual, starting around 8~8:30pm EST. Stop by if you can! Tonight's schedule is finishing the last remake of the the old "Probe A" parts. I think just the startracker, AACS, and reaction wheels are left. Then it will be work on the new solar panels. If by a miracle that gets done, I will try and get those ingame.

We have a discord channel if you want to get in on the meme action. It's a good way to provide direct feedback and ask questions without the lag of the twitch chat. 

~Cheers

5 minutes ago, akron said:

Tonight's twitch stream is still a go. It will be later than usual, starting around 8~8:30pm EST. Stop by if you can! Tonight's schedule is finishing the last remake of the the old "Probe A" parts. I think just the startracker, AACS, and reaction wheels are left. Then it will be work on the new solar panels. If by a miracle that gets done, I will try and get those ingame.

We have a discord channel if you want to get in on the meme action. It's a good way to provide direct feedback and ask questions without the lag of the twitch chat. 

~Cheers

Alas, I believe I will be up to my ears in boxes. I might be able to stop by for a little bit later, we will see. The Tatsujin is looking great! except for the foil

Update

Not as good of progress as I had planned, but I did get to finally fix all the models that used the original "Probes_a" texture (I think). I still need to fix all the electrical parts though, since all those have been moved to a new texture sheet. Sticking with the theme of re-doing parts as I get to them, here is my first stab-in-the-dark attempt at a re-designed AACS, and Reaction wheels.

The AACS was given more detail, but more importantly I added some structure in the back to make it easier to fit this part to rounded surfaces, like that of fuel tanks. Actually, the same thing was the reason for the new 3-way reaction wheel assembly. That, and removing the gold foil so that the parts are more neutral across different textures. The bump in detail pushed the reaction wheel assembly to over 1300 polygons. To prevent performance issues, I am considering boosting this 3-wheel assembly's stats so players have to use less of them on a craft, thus having less polys on-screen from these. This means a 2-wheel assembly is coming in its place.

The single wheel is also done, and obviously just a single piece from that 3-way one.

I am not 100% convinced on the designs so please provide feedback before I somewhat lock-down on it. Once I fix the electrical parts, you can expect a big Github push as I get them in-game.

~Cheers

syWa1W3.png

0ZMdMTp.png

I had a little bit of time so I re-worked the roster of reaction wheels. These are definitely going to be save-breaking because the sizes are slightly different, as will be the stats. The single one is actually a lot smaller. I was thinking about doing a larger early-tech one, but you burn through the early tech tree so quickly, its not worth it.

Top row: Comparison between the old and new models. Bottom row: New RW roster: Mini and single to triple

79eZPB5.png

Thoughts on the colors/models?

5 minutes ago, akron said:

I had a little bit of time so I re-worked the roster of reaction wheels. These are definitely going to be save-breaking because the sizes are slightly different, as will be the stats. The single one is actually a lot smaller. I was thinking about doing a larger early-tech one, but you burn through the early tech tree so quickly, its not worth it.

Top row: Comparison between the old and new models. Bottom row: New RW roster: Mini and single to triple

79eZPB5.png

Thoughts on the colors/models?

I love the new models , now they will not look weird on stockalike parts because of the gold textures

2 hours ago, NeoFatalis said:

I love the new models , now they will not look weird on stockalike parts because of the gold textures

Good to hear. That was the biggest reason for halting all mod progress (new stuff) to go back and redo all of these parts

1 hour ago, cxg2827 said:

look great!

:D 

I do like the new models, but I also have to admit I liked the gold foil... not enough to volunteer to create a whole stock-texture-conversion to include it... but still :)

Anyway, very nice work, and the extra polys do make a difference. I even just learned something: that brass, as I suspected from memory, is no good in space, but aluminum bronze IS good for high-vacuum environments, and your texture there seems a pretty fair approximation, which does lead me to one further question I didn't think to ask last night: are you using an alpha-channel to create a specular map for your shiny bits?

47 minutes ago, Siege said:

I do like the new models, but I also have to admit I liked the gold foil... not enough to volunteer to create a whole stock-texture-conversion to include it... but still :)

Anyway, very nice work, and the extra polys do make a difference. I even just learned something: that brass, as I suspected from memory, is no good in space, but aluminum bronze IS good for high-vacuum environments, and your texture there seems a pretty fair approximation, which does lead me to one further question I didn't think to ask last night: are you using an alpha-channel to create a specular map for your shiny bits?

I like the gold foil too, hehe. Almost all reference picture of space-grade mylar/foil has it very colorful and orange. Anyone remember this?

5931.jpg

These parts were too low poly though, and the base for them (where they attach to other stuff) was too big. I am trying to use the original foil with huge moderation just so that parts can be more neutral to other mods. I have no intention of removing it altogether either. It will still be the default for many things. I am also leaving it on the science experiment parts. As far as the materials, you're right. The yellow metal texture I made is probably too yellow, but the desaturated look helps it fit better with stock, I think. The primary reference for my reaction wheels came from Kepler, such as this:

KeplerRxnWheels_Ball4X3.jpg

EDIT: Yes, I am using a specular map via Alpha channel

Edited by akron

Good old Kapton foil and tape. Great thermal insulation and reflectivity properties, and even afforded shielding from lower-band radiation. Fantastic stuff.

41 minutes ago, Jack Wolfe said:

Good old Kapton foil and tape. Great thermal insulation and reflectivity properties, and even afforded shielding from lower-band radiation. Fantastic stuff.

Just now, Jimbodiah said:

Gold foil is synonymous with space craft to most people, so it always does well. Gold foil rulez! 

It's a beautiful thing, really.

In all seriousness though. Very hard to replicate just right in a kerbalish way. I cant't wait to see what @Porkjet comes up with for the re-make parts. I will try to match some thing to those for more stockalikability (New word!)

1 hour ago, akron said:

It's a beautiful thing, really.

2 hours ago, Jack Wolfe said:

I would have to agree Kapton foil is super slick, I thought about using it to make a case for my iPhone. I would take alternating layers of aluminum foil (I'd probably just swipe some from my kitchen) and kapton tape (thank goodness for eBay I can buy a roll for roughly five bucks) over a white plastic iPhone case you can find at most stores, making sure to cut out holes for the camera lens and side switches, and who knows I might top the whole thing off with a NASA logo sticker. As for the new parts they look pretty awesome I like the new double reaction wheel assembly, bit also I do like that new probe core, I always thought there would be room for a cubic probe core. 

3 hours ago, akron said:

I like the gold foil too, hehe. Almost all reference picture of space-grade mylar/foil has it very colorful and orange. Anyone remember this?

5931.jpg

These parts were too low poly though, and the base for them (where they attach to other stuff) was too big. I am trying to use the original foil with huge moderation just so that parts can be more neutral to other mods. I have no intention of removing it altogether either. It will still be the default for many things. I am also leaving it on the science experiment parts. As far as the materials, you're right. The yellow metal texture I made is probably too yellow, but the desaturated look helps it fit better with stock, I think. The primary reference for my reaction wheels came from Kepler, such as this:

KeplerRxnWheels_Ball4X3.jpg

EDIT: Yes, I am using a specular map via Alpha channel

Yeah, see, I think all the stuff on Apollo was Kapton. The thing about gold is it's a weird color to replicate well as it actually has some brown in it, though (iirc) little to no orange.

However, you've got Aluminum Bronze pretty spot on:

aluminum-bronze-highres.jpg

Apparently the nice thing about aluminum bronze is that it is highly resistant to galling, ala the seizing or "cold welding" of two metal parts sliding against each other, and that's probably just what that is in the reaction wheel reference photo above. So really, I'd say you got it right, regardless.

1 hour ago, Bombaatu said:

Does the solar wind experiment only work in solar orbit? I'd included it on a spacecraft but could not get it to run.

It is an orbital experiment, it should work anywhere in space.