[WIP] Coatl Aerospace ProbesPlus Dev Thread [Beta] 10/19/2020 (1.8-1.10)

akron

9 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

Pah, actually playing the game? What blasphemy is this!

Yeah, I know...

9 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

Re: Venera, Beale made a Venera 11/13 lander but there is a lot more to those probes. The Venera 1 solar panels and dish are somewhat unique, as are the course correction engines of the later models, among other things. Perhaps a minimod addon for Kerbaloons?

Hm. I could've sworn I saw the Venera panels and lander in Tantares... That is a great site, by the way! I want to add more Russian parts to the game and expose people to some cool stuff they did. I may find a way to merge some of those into my designs. I should also be fine with poly-counts. The HTV probe core is pushing 600 tris, I think 1500 for the engine assembly. The RTG is 368.

15 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

What do you even bring up with the KIS storage? I've never found something I've felt a need to bring up in a CTV type vessel.

I keep spare parts and I assemble parts of the station in-orbit with KAS, because it's fun. My main concern at the time was having a way to replenish my LS supplies (I use USI-LS) that was somewhat realistic. Rocketparts, fertilizer, ore and all the other USI supplies could also be cargo.

19 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

Yes, you use the Maya object transforms. I usually do it with nulls. Name them all the same and the game figures everything out automatically.

Thank you, thank you! I'd give you rep if I knew how

Just now, akron said:

Yeah, I know...

Hm. I could've sworn I saw the Venera panels and lander in Tantares... That is a great site, by the way! I want to add more Russian parts to the game and expose people to some cool stuff they did. I may find a way to merge some of those into my designs. I should also be fine with poly-counts. The HTV probe core is pushing 600 tris, I think 1500 for the engine assembly. The RTG is 368.

I keep spare parts and I assemble parts of the station in-orbit with KAS, because it's fun. My main concern at the time was having a way to replenish my LS supplies (I use USI-LS) that was somewhat realistic. Rocketparts, fertilizer, ore and all the other USI supplies could also be cargo.

Thank you, thank you! I'd give you rep if I knew how

There are a lot of pretty cool Russian probe parts. I don't think @Beale did anything other than the Venera 9/11/13 lander parts.

Don't worry about the rep thing haha.

11 minutes ago, davidy12 said:

Yeah, and CONTARES by @hraban already has a fairly decent ATV and other cargo vehicles.

That's a lot of cool stuff he has, but the dependency in Tantares and T-LV makes it harder to use. I run KSP on Linux so I think I may actually be able to those mods. It's the huge number of editor parts, and mods to keep up with, that makes me turn some of them down. I used to have KW, Tantares, T-LV, and an early Contares I think in 1.04. In 1.05, I sacrificed all of those to try BDB, Planetary Base Systems, SXT, and RLA Stockalike. I even removed all the KSOS shuttle parts to clear some room, and will use the Mk3 parts instead.

Edited by akron

1 hour ago, Beale said:

Get better soon!

No reason to cancel Venera (if you find it fun), different interpretations are always beautiful to see :) 

Thank you!

I have some probes I am looking at to try and incorporate some Soviet/Russian designs, but I am honestly not as familiar with them. So I will hopefully find something I can emulate in KSP. I'm looking at Luna, Zond, Mars, and Venera/Vega for inspiration and will see if I can cobble something that looks interesting and doesn't duplicate your Venera lander

1 hour ago, akron said:

Thank you!

I have some probes I am looking at to try and incorporate some Soviet/Russian designs, but I am honestly not as familiar with them. So I will hopefully find something I can emulate in KSP. I'm looking at Luna, Zond, Mars, and Venera/Vega for inspiration and will see if I can cobble something that looks interesting and doesn't duplicate your Venera lander

Really looking forward to the Pioneer probe your working on now.

Edited by davidy12

Update

Due to work and family, it is looking like Sunday is the only guaranteed day that I can get anything done. As planned, I continued doing nothing but models with no texture work. Although I did UV a few things wherever I could re-use a pre-made texture. Some of this is temporary to get an idea of how things will look. This week I switched gears little (again) from H-II. I wanted to get another probe core part finished so I pushed to complete the Pioneer-inspired HECS core, which is 0.9375m in diameter. During my research I found a couple of cool little things, for example, a probe core body is referred to as a "Bus." Also, NASA research costs prompted designs to be reused. Cassini used bus designs from Voyager and Galileo, which in turn used the designs of Mariner. Voyager was actually supposed to be a higher budget Mariner program, but was renamed. Viking also used bus designs derived from Mariner!

I also worked on my first antenna, designed to go with this bus. The design draws more from Cassini than Pioneer because as planned, I will have a small, a med, and a large static antenna so I had to pick 3 designs to use. I didn't want to use too much inspiration from just one mission, and I think it fits fairly well. This will be the medium-sized one:

rM1iwqP.png

Edited by akron

4 hours ago, Cornholio said:

Will your antennae be functional and compatible with remote tech? 

I am not sure what you mean by functional, I mean, they work. I did not have plans for support for Antenna range or Remote Tech. I was hoping KSP 1.1 would have been out with its antenna overhaul, but it looks like that has been pushed back. With that in mind, I will probably reach out to other community members for help with RT configs, since I do not know how to create those.

I am also hoping for some additional thoughts or feedback on the planned parts and mod progress so far. Let me know your thoughts on the current roadmap.

17 hours ago, akron said:

I am not sure what you mean by functional, I mean, they work. I did not have plans for support for Antenna range or Remote Tech. I was hoping KSP 1.1 would have been out with its antenna overhaul, but it looks like that has been pushed back. With that in mind, I will probably reach out to other community members for help with RT configs, since I do not know how to create those.

I am also hoping for some additional thoughts or feedback on the planned parts and mod progress so far. Let me know your thoughts on the current roadmap.

I was referring to range/cone angle etc.  I think that your parts are beautiful and would use your pack at least for the antenna if it works with RT.

Also, just my opinion, I like your versions of these science experiments, but would more than anything prefer to see new experiment in addition to/instead.  I only speak for myself and may not reflect your goal for this part pack.

Good luck!

16 minutes ago, Cornholio said:

I was referring to range/cone angle etc.  I think that your parts are beautiful and would use your pack at least for the antenna if it works with RT.

Also, just my opinion, I like your versions of these science experiments, but would more than anything prefer to see new experiment in addition to/instead.  I only speak for myself and may not reflect your goal for this part pack.

Good luck!

Well, as mentioned, due to the delay of the stock communication overhaul, I will try to include RT support. I may just need to peak in the RT files to learn how to do them or get help. I do not use RT on my install so I am not personally very familiar with it.

Thanks for your feedback on the experiments! I do have some new experiments planed, a windspeed/Weather station for landers based on Mars missions, a soil drill/sampler based on Curiosity or Viking, more than likely, and a dust experiment based on NASA's Stardust mission and others. For the most part, though, @DMagic has the science experiments covered and very well done. If I can come up with some new, different experiments, I will definitely add them in. I am super open to suggestions!

Edited by akron

DMagic's science parts caused me to go on an endless hunt for more and more science parts.  I have many from the common like DMagic's to obscure like Kerbal Dust Experiment.  Hope/can't wait to see more from you. Again, everything you have showcased looks beautiful.

3 hours ago, akron said:

Well, as mentioned, due to the delay of the stock communication overhaul, I will try to include RT support. I may just need to peak in the RT files to learn how to do them or get help. I do not use RT on my install so I am not personally very familiar with it.

Thanks for your feedback on the experiments! I do have some new experiments planed, a windspeed/Weather station for landers based on Mars missions, a soil drill/sampler based on Curiosity or Viking, more than likely, and a dust experiment based on NASA's Stardust mission and others. For the most part, though, @DMagic has the science experiments covered and very well done. If I can come up with some new, different experiments, I will definitely add them in. I am super open to suggestions!

Off the top of my head:

An inline goo experiment, perhaps based on Laika's capsule from Sputnik 2.
Gamma Ray Spectrometer.
MECA - if you can find an image of it.
Various other things ending in '-meter'.

Reduxes / alternatives to a lot good mods that have somewhat low-quality parts would also be nice. Scansat and Impact come to mind.

4 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Off the top of my head:

An inline goo experiment, perhaps based on Laika's capsule from Sputnik 2.
Gamma Ray Spectrometer.
MECA - if you can find an image of it.
Various other things ending in '-meter'.

Reduxes / alternatives to a lot good mods that have somewhat low-quality parts would also be nice. Scansat and Impact come to mind.

I will check these out! Thank you Boss

Here's something interesting I found. Mariner Mark II, was meant to be a standard design for a number of NASA interplanetary missions.

EDIT: I didn't really feel like UV unwrapping for BDB so have some more...

The APS from Glory.
The LLCD from LADEE.
Probably some cool stuff on the Mars Observer.

Edited by CobaltWolf

I really like a lot from Mars Observer, specially that antenna. The Gamma-Ray Spec, gave me some ideas, as did the Thermal one. I may have some designs drawn up on my sketchbook tomorrow. Yes, I'm old school like that.

11 hours ago, akron said:

I really like a lot from Mars Observer, specially that antenna. The Gamma-Ray Spec, gave me some ideas, as did the Thermal one. I may have some designs drawn up on my sketchbook tomorrow. Yes, I'm old school like that.

Oh I usually sketch things out 2-3 times in class before I get around to modeling them. Helps figure out your direction to you hit the ground running once you open Maya.

EDIT: Got another one. The electrostatic analyzer from Ranger. It's the thing sticking out the bottom, between the left solar panel and the dish.

Edited by CobaltWolf

Update - Science!

Thanks @CobaltWolf for all the suggestions.

Blue update, no new models. I will try to work on some later today. I have spent more time than I care to admit revising the science road map for the mod and researching A LOT of science instruments and missions (and looking for reference images). It is still subject to change, but it feels more "focused" now because I have reference and know what each one will roughly look like. Note that this is a road map primarily for the probe expansion, more science may get added with the lander pack. At this point it is looking more and more like DMagic will be a required pre-requisite for Probes Plus and the subsequent Lander pack. Several instruments will have double functions and are will be spread out around the tech tree.

Here is the new science plan, I will update the OP later. Multi-mod experiment legend: NewStockBDB experiment, DMagic experiment, SCANSat instrument

New Experiment Parts:

• Windspeed/Weather station + Thermometer + Barometer (Mars Landers)
  • Dust Experiment (Stardust) (May try to incorporate KDEX support instead)
  • Dust Experiment + Meteorite Counter (New Horizons)
  • Gamma-Ray Spectrometer (Mars Recon Orbiter)
  • Ultraviolet Spectrograph/Atmospheric Analyzer (Rosetta/New Horizons,MAVEN)
  • Solar Wind Analyzer (MAVEN, New Horizons)
  • Ionization and Electrostatic Analyzer (Ranger 1,IBEX)
  • Radar Scatterometer and Radiometer + GORESat (MetOp,DSCOVR)

Redesigns for all basic stock experiments 

• Thermometer DONE
  • Barometer DONE
  • Gravioli DONE
  • Seismic
  • Atmos
  • Goo

DMagic Experiments:

• Magnetometer (Pioneer 10) DONE
  • Magnetometer (Voyager,Cassini,Galileo)
  • Orbital Telescope (Mars Recon Orbiter)
  • Compact Orbital Telescope + BDB High-tech camera (possibly) (New Horizons)
  • RPWS (Cassini)
  • Soil Moisture Sensor + Antenna + Low-Res Altimeter (SMAP)
  • Solar Particle Collector + Dust Collector (Genesis,Beagle solar panel design)
  • Multispectral Sensor + BDB IR (Voyager)
  • Soil sampler drill (Mars Rovers; will be part of the Lander Pack)

SCANSat Parts:

• Low-Res RADAR Altimeter (TOPEX)
  • High-Res Laser Altimeter (Mars Global Surveyor)
  • Biome Scanner + BDB IR (Mars Missions)

EDIT: The multiple experiments are to try and replicate some real-world missions and add more things to do without having to add more parts. I will do so at every reasonable opportunity

Edited by akron

Looking good! Couple of things:

• The orbital telescope from DMagic IS the HiRise from MRO
  • The IR spectrometer needs sciencedefs. If you want to add defs I'll include them in BDB.
  • your color coding on that chart doesn't seem to be consistent, it's confusing haha

1 minute ago, CobaltWolf said:

Looking good! Couple of things:

• The orbital telescope from DMagic IS the HiRise from MRO
  • The IR spectrometer needs sciencedefs. If you want to add defs I'll include them in BDB.
  • your color coding on that chart doesn't seem to be consistent, it's confusing haha

The DMagic telescope attaches by a mount, this one would attach by its "butt?". I'll look into the IR Sci def, but it is still too early for me. I'm still in the modeling/UV phase :D.

The coloring is to point out multi-experiment parts, where the second experiment is from another mod.

Just now, akron said:

The DMagic telescope attaches by a mount, this one would attach by its "butt?". I'll look into the IR Sci def, but it is still too early for me. I'm still in the modeling/UV phase :D.

The coloring is to point out multi-experiment parts, where the second experiment is from another mod.

Oh. Yeah that make sense, I've always just clipped it into my probes. :P

Also, the coolest pic ever taken by HiRise: Curiosity entering the atmosphere.

MRO_sees_Curiosity_landing.jpg

11 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

Oh. Yeah that make sense, I've always just clipped it into my probes. :P

Also, the coolest pic ever taken by HiRise: Curiosity entering the atmosphere.

That is so cool!

If my HiRISE and my version of NH's Ralph don't look that much different from one another, I may just combine the two and let people clip them if they please. I also wanted to give something compatibility to your CCD/High tech camera, but until I place them in the tech-tree I won't know where I will be able to.

EDIT: I put it on the compact telescope for now. Gotta look for more opportunities for multi-experiment and multi-mod compatibility

EDIT2: The antenna list should be done later today too.

Edited by akron