[WIP] Coatl Aerospace ProbesPlus Dev Thread [Beta] 10/19/2020 (1.8-1.10)

akron

8 hours ago, komodo said:

Just a note from my insane brain: the RT antennas that are shipped with RT are a little nuts as far as balance goes. They are either really heavy or really light. I find it hard to judge "just right", especially in Kerbal proportions. Everything tends to be heavy as so much dv is available/low orbital speeds required. But it chafes still to mount a 1 ton dish on a probe. 

Or, this may be me being ignorant of dish masses; has anyone with more perspective looked at the RT antennas?

i will have to try to find the Reddit thread; irrationally I feel vaguely responsible for the RT antennas... ><

more importantly, that model looks pretty cool. The polys are ok; my body computer is ready. :D

I may just need to come up with a size/weight matrix and weigh things ignoring RT. I may just balance against other mods and stock and be done with it. And no worries. I appreciate your help a whole lot.

6 hours ago, Phineas Freak said:

@akron ProbesPlus is already supported by RO and configs for the new release are on the works.

Really? I didn't see it on the list of supported mod

1 hour ago, Fr8monkey said:

Don't know how I missed this.  Love the look!  Haven't read all 32 pages; but does this mod break existing saves?  Meaning, if I download, are all my science probes in flight going to disappear?  Was neck deep in one save, downloaded some mod before and killed many of my ships and crews.

If you've never installed the mod there won't be any issues. If you have an existing 0.13 save, it should also not have any issues loading a craft UNLESS you still have something using the OLD magnetometer for some reason (The new one is better).

5 hours ago, akron said:

I may just need to come up with a size/weight matrix and weigh things ignoring RT. I may just balance against other mods and stock and be done with it. And no worries. I appreciate your help a whole lot.

I do have this spreadsheet favourited but I have no idea who made it: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/tVHmRK55Obe2cIdvmjHurTQ/htmlview#

It doesn't contain the Commun-o-tron HG55 but the other Stock and RT antennas are listed correctly.

EDIT: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wtyd_xPI8djD7-E1jLdtOsxPwLhE2ku_zptRqJfLEfQ/

Edited by Poodmund

Tarsier/Coatl/Blue Dog hybrid telescope. I had to upscale the Coatl/BD components to match the default size of the Tarsier part (telescope mirror). I love the Coatl probe core and how the upscaling aligned just right with the telescope mirror, but I was forced to add a BD probe core to allow for target tracking. Equipped with monopropellant thrusters with a max DV of 1100 m/s

I6NA9Jw.png

0im3VFR.png

y5DiBYx.png

Edited by pheenix99

5 hours ago, akron said:

Really? I didn't see it on the list of supported mod

If you've never installed the mod there won't be any issues. If you have an existing 0.13 save, it should also not have any issues loading a craft UNLESS you still have something using the OLD magnetometer for some reason (The new one is better).

5 hours ago, Poodmund said:

I do have this spreadsheet favourited but I have no idea who made it: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/tVHmRK55Obe2cIdvmjHurTQ/htmlview#

It doesn't contain the Commun-o-tron HG55 but the other Stock and RT antennas are listed correctly.

For my own reference and sanity, I decided to create my own sheet in the style of the one I previously posted, correcting values where necessary and adding in the ProbesPlus information.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wtyd_xPI8djD7-E1jLdtOsxPwLhE2ku_zptRqJfLEfQ/ <--- The 'Range Order' sheet is probably most helpful for balancing.

Let me know if anything is not right.

Edited by Poodmund

5 hours ago, Poodmund said:

For my own reference and sanity, I decided to create my own sheet in the style of the one I previously posted, correcting values where necessary and adding in the ProbesPlus information.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wtyd_xPI8djD7-E1jLdtOsxPwLhE2ku_zptRqJfLEfQ/ <--- The 'Range Order' sheet is probably most helpful for balancing.

Let me know if anything is not right.

Thank you for looking at these and getting a spreadsheet put together. I definitely think that some weight reduction will be necessary. I'll likely start the re-balance this coming week. 

19 minutes ago, Virtualgenius said:

I think you should include the craft files for the satellites you have built for the creative challenged like myself

I had a plan for this but wanted to make a quick little wiki page for each. I'll put it on my list to make some "default" crafts and will post the min the OP.

@pheenix99 That's very nice! 

hi all this is a fantastic add on and one that as usual with these kinds of mods should be stock but i wanted to ask 2 questions

1)is this working for 1.1.3.

2) will there be and update to the ckan repository for 1.2

ps thank you to the author for dedicating the time and effort into this project its looking amazing

13 hours ago, hawk_za said:

hi all this is a fantastic add on and one that as usual with these kinds of mods should be stock but i wanted to ask 2 questions

ps thank you to the author for dedicating the time and effort into this project its looking amazing

Not to speak for the Modder, but yep it works in 1.1.3. It is a beta though. The Modder will have to answer about CKAN. Happy probing!

Sorry for the quietness. I have been away from the internet a bit these couple of days.

4 hours ago, Voidryder said:

Not to speak for the Modder, but yep it works in 1.1.3. It is a beta though. The Modder will have to answer about CKAN. Happy probing!

17 hours ago, hawk_za said:

Thank you! Yes, the mod works in 1.1.3. I Don't know how to updated CKAN. I will reach out to those folks for help. Everything will get updated for 1.2 once it is out, though.

6 hours ago, DarthVader said:

do all the new parts in beta 0.14 have RO configs?

6 hours ago, Theysen said:

not yet. Should be in once the ROifier has commited the PR for RO and it is merged.

I appreciate you giving an update about RO configs. I have been meaning to find out more about those and was going to this coming week. I am very glad someone is taking the time to add RO compatibility for my mod. Thank you!

3 minutes ago, VenomousRequiem said:

Please keep CKAN questions on the CKAN thread. 

@akron you're not responsible for anything to do with CKAN, they do it themselves on their own thread. 

2 minutes ago, legoclone09 said:

I was mainly asking Coatl if he would allow it on.

I just posted a pull request in their Github. ProbesPlus is already in CKAN but it is the old version. Compatibility was never updated to say that it works in 1.1.3

3 minutes ago, VenomousRequiem said:

You don't "allow" it, I don't think. They handle it completely, even if you don't want it. :l

To be fair, I did get asked by someone a while ago if they could submit the mod to CKAN. They also have an opt-out list. My mod is not complex enough that it won't install properly through CKAN. I just didn't know how to handle the update.

27 minutes ago, akron said:

I just posted a pull request in their Github. ProbesPlus is already in CKAN but it is the old version. Compatibility was never updated to say that it works in 1.1.3

To be fair, I did get asked by someone a while ago if they could submit the mod to CKAN. They also have an opt-out list. My mod is not complex enough that it won't install properly through CKAN. I just didn't know how to handle the update.

Alright, thanks.

5 hours ago, akron said:

I appreciate you giving an update about RO configs. I have been meaning to find out more about those and was going to this coming week. I am very glad someone is taking the time to add RO compatibility for my mod. Thank you!

Here is the Git folder inside RealismOverhaul: https://github.com/KSP-RO/RealismOverhaul/tree/master/GameData/RealismOverhaul/RO_SuggestedMods/CoatlAerospace

As you can see @Phineas Freak worked on them and regarding his last post in this thread a page before this I'd assume he is also working on the new update. (Mad props to him, he configures almost every new mod that comes out it feels like)

9 minutes ago, Theysen said:

Here is the Git folder inside RealismOverhaul: https://github.com/KSP-RO/RealismOverhaul/tree/master/GameData/RealismOverhaul/RO_SuggestedMods/CoatlAerospace

As you can see @Phineas Freak worked on them and regarding his last post in this thread a page before this I'd assume he is also working on the new update. (Mad props to him, he configures almost every new mod that comes out it feels like)

Some of BDB is on there! :3

48 minutes ago, Theysen said:

Exactly, i have been working on them since before any official release (got the dev versions so that the update cycle would be shorter) and i will push an update to the RO git either today or tomorrow.

14 hours ago, Phineas Freak said:

Exactly, i have been working on them since before any official release (got the dev versions so that the update cycle would be shorter) and i will push an update to the RO git either today or tomorrow.

Thank you!

Ok, I'm not sure if this is Coatl or BDB, as I use both parts in this probe, or something else interacting, but I start getting serious errors when trying to load my Voyager-analogue Duna and Moho probes. The craft vanishes on load, leaving me with an entirely messed up KSP which soon crashes. This is the start of the problem in the log, which goes on for quite some time, and I'll include the full version linked below:

[LOG 22:15:53.358] Unpacking Gallifrey 4
[LOG 22:15:53.375] Look rotation viewing vector is zero
[WRN 22:15:53.380] Setting scale failed, ignoring request. Please check all scaling axes are non-zero.
[ERR 22:15:53.380] Infinity or NaN floating point numbers appear when calculating the transform matrix for a Collider. Scene hierarchy path "barquetta (Gallifrey 4)/bluedog.LOantenna/model/Bluedog_DB/Parts/Antennas/bluedog_LOantenna(Clone)/LO_Antenna/AntennasTogether_LOAntenna_Redux_Snap3_Hinge/Collider"

[WRN 22:15:53.380] Setting scale failed, ignoring request. Please check all scaling axes are non-zero.
[ERR 22:15:53.381] Infinity or NaN floating point numbers appear when calculating the transform matrix for a Collider. Scene hierarchy path "barquetta (Gallifrey 4)/bluedog.LOantenna/model/Bluedog_DB/Parts/Antennas/bluedog_LOantenna(Clone)/LO_Antenna/AntennasTogether_LOAntenna_Redux_Snap3_Hinge/Collider"

[ERR 22:15:53.381] Infinity or NaN floating point numbers appear when calculating the transform matrix for a Collider. Scene hierarchy path "ca.LUV/model/Coatl Aerospace/ProbesPlus/Assets/ca_LUV(Clone)/sc_LUV/outer_strut_g/collider_cyl"

[ERR 22:15:53.382] Infinity or NaN floating point numbers appear when calculating the transform matrix for a Collider. Scene hierarchy path "ca.LUV/model/Coatl Aerospace/ProbesPlus/Assets/ca_LUV(Clone)/sc_LUV/outer_strut_g/inner_strut_g/collider_cyl1"

[ERR 22:15:53.382] Infinity or NaN floating point numbers appear when calculating the transform matrix for a Collider. Scene hierarchy path "ca.LUV/model/Coatl Aerospace/ProbesPlus/Assets/ca_LUV(Clone)/sc_LUV/outer_strut_g/inner_strut_g/UVS/collider"

[ERR 22:15:53.383] Infinity or NaN floating point numbers appear when calculating the transform matrix for a Collider. Scene hierarchy path "ca.LUV/model/Coatl Aerospace/ProbesPlus/Assets/ca_LUV(Clone)/sc_LUV/outer_strut_g/inner_strut_g/UVS/collider2"

[ERR 22:15:53.383] Infinity or NaN floating point numbers appear when calculating the transform matrix for a Collider. Scene hierarchy path "ca.sciBoom/model/Coatl Aerospace/ProbesPlus/Assets/sci_Boom(Clone)/sci_Boom/boom/collider"

[ERR 22:15:53.384] Infinity or NaN floating point numbers appear when calculating the transform matrix for a Collider. Scene hierarchy path "ca.sciBoom/model/Coatl Aerospace/ProbesPlus/Assets/sci_Boom(Clone)/sci_Boom/boom/scienceBearing/science/collider"

[ERR 22:15:53.384] Infinity or NaN floating point numbers appear when calculating the transform matrix for a Collider. Scene hierarchy path "cryoengine-125-2/model/CryoEngines/Parts/Engine/cryoengine-125/cryoengine-125-2(Clone)/CryoUpper125/GimbalBone/ColliderA"

[LOG 22:15:53.385] Look rotation viewing vector is zero
[LOG 22:15:53.394] Look rotation viewing vector is zero
[LOG 22:15:53.395] Look rotation viewing vector is zero
[LOG 22:15:53.396] Look rotation viewing vector is zero
[LOG 22:15:53.396] Look rotation viewing vector is zero

Full ksp.log

24 minutes ago, legoclone09 said:

Looks like Coatl and a cryo engines mod as well. Try reinstalling both mods.

Ditto! Although the errors also reference errors with scaling. Do you use Tweakscale? It may be failing too.

PS: Stream tonight is a go. I haven't worked on Surveyor until a few hours ago due to family time and me just actually playing my KSP career save. I'll work on it some more and then get with @Stone Blue to maybe help him some with his projects and/or teach him some Maya

Edited by akron