akron

[WIP] Coatl Aerospace ProbesPlus Dev Thread [v0.16.1 Beta] 6/27/2018 (1.4.4)

Recommended Posts

On 5/20/2018 at 1:45 AM, akron said:

Made a little more progress. Added detail and finished out some parts. I still need a guiding sensor which will be used as a maneuver part, and tidy up geometry. The solar panel dampers are also still missing from around the dish.

It folds up well :)

~cheers

Ooph @akron that is looking fantastic. Can't wait to put it on a Bossart-Belle from BDB. :) Might just remove my Mariner 4 antenna and dish... I don't want to update them haha :D 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bananasrawesome said:

I forgot you were still working on this. Do you plan on adding all or at least almost all of the real probes?

T.T all of the probes? That might take a while. I will keep at it as long as there is interest in the mod but there's a lot left to do. There's a few missions I'd like to get done before I wanna call the mod "done." After that it'll just be whatever is cool to work on. Sorry it takes me so long to get updates out but family stuff keeps me busy.

12 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

Ooph @akron that is looking fantastic. Can't wait to put it on a Bossart-Belle from BDB. :) Might just remove my Mariner 4 antenna and dish... I don't want to update them haha :D 

Thank you. Yes, I'm trying to gauge how much dV I should provide on the payload, so that a stack with both our mods is balanced at the 2x-3x scale you recommend. Don't remove your antenna though, the more the merrier!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, akron said:

T.T all of the probes? That might take a while. I will keep at it as long as there is interest in the mod but there's a lot left to do. There's a few missions I'd like to get done before I wanna call the mod "done." After that it'll just be whatever is cool to work on. Sorry it takes me so long to get updates out but family stuff keeps me busy.

Thank you. Yes, I'm trying to gauge how much dV I should provide on the payload, so that a stack with both our mods is balanced at the 2x-3x scale you recommend. Don't remove your antenna though, the more the merrier!

Would be nice if there were more good modders making probe parts. Always felt like an underserved market to me.

I really have no idea - they were just flybys, and the payload is really only intended to make 1-3 midcourse corrections to make sure it flies by at the right time, place (ie, so it can photograph the lit side of the planet) and altitude. The actual burn to put it on the flyby trajectory is done by the Agena D. So, maybe not more than 100 dV?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

Would be nice if there were more good modders making probe parts. Always felt like an underserved market to me.

I really have no idea - they were just flybys, and the payload is really only intended to make 1-3 midcourse corrections to make sure it flies by at the right time, place (ie, so it can photograph the lit side of the planet) and altitude. The actual burn to put it on the flyby trajectory is done by the Agena D. So, maybe not more than 100 dV?

I actually have yet to figure out tech tree placement. I'll reduce the propellant capacity. There just needs to be enough for the correction plus the rcs.

This is not standard scale either. I left it at a realistic size conversion so the size is between 0.625m and 0.9375m. I think the bus diameter is something like 0.72m. It's only going to carry 5-10 units of monoprop.

I also realized that since the camera system mounts higher than the lowest part of the bus, placing 2 attachments nodes on each will make it a little more difficult to use. I'd have to see how it goes.

Edited by akron

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/19/2018 at 3:46 AM, akron said:

Got a little frustrated with Viking lander geometry so I did a little bit of Mariner work. Here's Mariner 3-4; first of the series. This will help me start narrowing down the scale and part composition for the eventual Mariner 8, which forms the base for the Viking orbiter

 

Damh9M2.png

I was able to mess with Coatl and BDB enough to create an interim Mariner analog. 

dXdiua5.png 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, HooHungLow said:

I was able to mess with Coatl and BDB enough to create an interim Mariner analog.

Nice!

That's such a nice antenna. @CobaltWolf don't even think about removing it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, HooHungLow said:

Cassini Huygens Titan IV

 

Very nice!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Barzon Kerman said:

Where did you get the legs?

They are rescaled from the LR Altair Lander.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@HooHungLow that's pretty incredible! I love it. I really need more landing legs in the mod.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm getting a number of  (non gameplay affecting) errors appearing in the log during game start up. Using KSP 1.4.3 with MH and v0.16 of P+

Seems like the models are expecting the textures to be in the same folders as the antennas and well as a missing Normal file.

[LOG 19:25:22.294] Load(Model): Coatl Aerospace/ProbesPlus/Assets/barquetta
[ERR 19:25:22.298] Texture 'Coatl Aerospace/ProbesPlus/Assets/mat_stock_N_NRM' not found!

[LOG 19:25:22.305] Load(Model): Coatl Aerospace/ProbesPlus/Assets/ca_aegis
[ERR 19:25:22.307] Texture 'Coatl Aerospace/ProbesPlus/Assets/logo_ksp' not found!

[LOG 19:25:22.339] Load(Model): Coatl Aerospace/ProbesPlus/Assets/ca_ESM2
[ERR 19:25:22.341] Texture 'Coatl Aerospace/ProbesPlus/Assets/mat_stock_N_NRM' not found!

[LOG 19:25:22.481] Load(Model): Coatl Aerospace/ProbesPlus/Assets/tatsujin
[ERR 19:25:22.485] Texture 'Coatl Aerospace/ProbesPlus/Assets/mat_stock_N_NRM' not found!

[LOG 19:25:22.500] Load(Model): Coatl Aerospace/ProbesPlus/Assets/Antenna/antenna_quetzal
[ERR 19:25:22.501] Texture 'Coatl Aerospace/ProbesPlus/Assets/Antenna/mat_gold_NA' not found!
[ERR 19:25:22.501] Texture 'Coatl Aerospace/ProbesPlus/Assets/Antenna/mat_stock_N' not found!

[LOG 19:25:22.520] Load(Model): Coatl Aerospace/ProbesPlus/Assets/Antenna/dish_hera
[ERR 19:25:22.524] Texture 'Coatl Aerospace/ProbesPlus/Assets/Antenna/mat_fsilver_NA' not found!
[ERR 19:25:22.524] Texture 'Coatl Aerospace/ProbesPlus/Assets/Antenna/mat_foil_N' not found!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, wile1411 said:

I'm getting a number of  (non gameplay affecting) errors appearing in the log during game start up. Using KSP 1.4.3 with MH and v0.16 of P+

Seems like the models are expecting the textures to be in the same folders as the antennas and well as a missing Normal file.

Those can be ignored. Texture assignment is handled by Firespitter or TU, if installed. It wasn't worth fixing them since it does not make a different in-game. I'll eventually put some time on this. Do let me know if the textures stop working though

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, akron said:

Those can be ignored. Texture assignment is handled by Firespitter or TU, if installed. It wasn't worth fixing them since it does not make a different in-game. I'll eventually put some time on this. Do let me know if the textures stop working though

Textures are working fine :) 

Edited by wile1411

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi.
Maybe i REALLY stupid, but i not undertand how to download PP ground ops.
this come with PP, or it dont realese?
I Try on 1.4.1-3, but nothing, help pls

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, KspNoob1337 said:

Hi.
Maybe i REALLY stupid, but i not undertand how to download PP ground ops.
this come with PP, or it dont realese?
I Try on 1.4.1-3, but nothing, help pls

Firstly, Welcome to the Forums!

As to Ground ops, it haven't been released yet and won't be for some time. Only the Space probes are

until Akron (Creator of the mod) can make the rovers work

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, ChickenBot448 said:

Firstly, Welcome to the Forums!

As to Ground ops, it haven't been released yet and won't be for some time. Only the Space probes are

until Akron (Creator of the mod) can make the rovers work

Oh, thanks;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, KspNoob1337 said:

Oh, thanks;)

Welcome to the Forums!

I may have far too prematurely posted the planned list of lander parts, since I don't even have enough to warrant 2 mods as of yet. I am testing KSP 1.4.4 and on the next patch or update I will go ahead and remove any references to the "Ground Ops" subset of parts to prevent confusion. Until there is a need to separate landing and rover parts onto their own mod, they will be included on ProbesPlus as they have been so far.

Please note that this does not affect my planned parts, just how I present them. As I get back to modding steadily, the plan is to alternate releases between an orbital-parts heavy release and a lander-part heavy one. Obviously not mutually exclusive. As it stands, there's a good mix coming next with Mariner and Viking

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/23/2018 at 7:53 AM, sslaptnhablhat said:

Ok, I'm confused. Are rover and lander parts released yet, if not do you have a rough estimate for when?

Some lander parts are released: Surveyors, Huygens, and Venera-Vega

This release I am working on adds Viking

There are no rover parts out yet. I have promised to begin working on them soon, but it will not be this next one as it already includes quite a bit. Beta18 is not 100% confirmed so there's a potential to start on rovers then. 

 

As far as timeline, I would like to get Beta17 done by end of Summer, Mariner is being worked on for now. This means rovers could be started after that. Please be patient as work on the mod part-time. I am going to go ahead and the redo my banner post as it is being far too confusing to people

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.