[1.8.x] JoolBiomes v1.1: Add biomes (and Great Green Spot) to Jool

Snark

33 minutes ago, StevieC said:

are this and EveBiomes compatible with OPM?

Yup.  :)

In case anyone has been living in a cave for the past couple of years, the "OPM" that Stevie's referring to is this mod here:

It's an amazing mod that has had a stupefying amount of work put into it; far and away the best planets pack I've ever seen for KSP, just really professionally done.  The production value is incredible-- they could put it in the stock game and nobody would bat an eyelash.  Great eye candy.  I adore OPM and strongly recommend it to anyone who'd like a few new places to visit.

• 6 months later...
On 11/10/2016 at 10:47 PM, Errol said:

Is this obsolete with the improved stock biomes? Would it be possible to release this with just the addition of the great green spot?

Nope, it still works just fine.  The change to the various KSP planets' biomes in 1.2 doesn't affect Jool... it didn't have biomes pre-1.2, and still doesn't.  :)

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/25/2016 at 4:44 PM, tsaven said:

You've mentioned it before earlier in the thread about possible conflicts between this mod, and other visual mods.  Has anyone seen how this mod works with Stock Visual Overhaul?

Not sure exactly what you mean by "Stock Visual Overhaul" (I'm unaware of any mod with that name)... but if you mean Stock Visual Enhancements, the answer is, sadly, no, it doesn't work.

That is... it "works" in the sense that nothing crashes, and the game runs just fine, and the biomes are there (you can take different science readings for the different locations; they show up if you turn on the "biomes visible" cheat)... but the SVE mod completely replaces the surface appearance of Jool, wiping out my image map, so you won't actually see anything and there's no visible Great Green Spot; just a roughly oval area in Jool's southern tropical belt that looks exactly the same as everywhere else, and happens to say "Great Green Spot" if you take a science reading there.

4 minutes ago, Snark said:

Not sure exactly what you mean by "Stock Visual Overhaul" (I'm unaware of any mod with that name... but if you mean Stock Visual Enhancements, the answer is, sadly, no, it doesn't work.

That is... it "works" in the sense that nothing crashes, and the game runs just fine, and the biomes are there... but the SVE mod completely replaces the surface appearance of Jool, wiping out my image map, so you won't actually see anything and there's no visible Great Green Spot; just a roughly oval area in Jool's southern tropical belt that looks exactly the same as everywhere else, and happens to say "Great Green Spot" if you take a science reading there.

Ah, damn.  Yes, that's the mod I was referring to.  Shame that it doesn't work visually, but that makes sense.  I think I'll probably use your mod anyway though, because the shear challenge of getting to and returning from Jool's atmosphere is something I've wanted for a while.  And really, the end reward of all of that is getting to read funny science blurbs.  :)  BTW, are there EVA report burbs just in case I manage to figure out a way to make that happen?

1 hour ago, tsaven said:

BTW, are there EVA report burbs just in case I manage to figure out a way to make that happen?

Yes for low-space-over-<biome>, but... no for atmospheric?!  I got a lot of science blurbs in there, but missed out on EVA report from Jool's atmosphere.  What the heck was I thinking?  Can't believe I missed that.  If someone went to all the trouble to step outside while deep in the atmosphere, the least I can do is give them a blurb.  Sheesh.  :huh:

Okay, I should add that.  If you can hold off on suicidal intrepid in-person exploration of the depths of the Joolian atmosphere just a bit, I'll try to get an update out within the next couple of days!

3 hours ago, Snark said:

Yes for low-space-over-<biome>, but... no for atmospheric?!  I got a lot of science blurbs in there, but missed out on EVA report from Jool's atmosphere.  What the heck was I thinking?  Can't believe I missed that.  If someone went to all the trouble to step outside while deep in the atmosphere, the least I can do is give them a blurb.  Sheesh.  :huh:

Okay, I should add that.  If you can hold off on suicidal intrepid in-person exploration of the depths of the Joolian atmosphere just a bit, I'll try to get an update out within the next couple of days!

HA!  Sweet man, us who like attempting the impossible do appreciate it. :D  I'm still in the planning stages of my Vall/Laythe colonies that will eventually be used to support a flight into and out of Jool, so no worries on time.

I can only image what the blubs for EVAs and crew reports will be, given that something will have either gone terribly wrong or terribly right to be in that situation!

• 3 months later...
  • 9 months later...
9 hours ago, Pavel ☭ said:

do you think you could elaborate on how to edit the location of Jool's Great Green Spot?

There's not much to tell-- the mod is so incredibly simple that there's just not that much there.  :)

Take a look inside the JoolBiomes folder.  There are three files there that make it work:

• JoolColor.png: Image file used as texture.  This controls what it looks like in-game.
  • JoolBiome.png:  Color-coded image file used as biome map.  This controls which biomes are where.
  • Jool.cfg:  Kopernicus config for Jool. This controls biome names, which JoolBiome.png colors correspond to which biome, the science definitions for the various biomes, etc.

It's as simple as that.  To move the location of the spot, you'd need to edit two files.  You'd need to edit JoolColor.png (to change the visual location of the spot, when you look at the planet), and you'd also need to edit JoolBiome.png (to change the actual biome locations to match the visual texture).

You can edit those .png files in any image editor program (Photoshop, GIMP, etc.)  The only constraint is that if you tinker with JoolBiome.png, you either need to make sure that you keep using the exact same colors that are already in it, unles you also update the .cfg file to match.

9 hours ago, Pavel ☭ said:

Also, does this mod still work, or have you abandoned it?

Yes, it still works.  Note that it's marked as 1.3.1-compatible in its download on SpaceDock.  (Hmmm, why would someone think I abandoned the-- ...ohhhhhh, I see.  I forgot to update the title of this thread, so it still says 1.2.2.  I'll go and fix this now.  Sheesh, sorry about that.)

I haven't actually done anything with the mod since the last JoolBiomes version I released (1.1), which was over a year ago.  Nor do I currently have any plans to develop any new "features" for the mod-- as far as I'm concerned, it's "done".  It does one very simple thing that I wanted it to do, and it does that thing pretty well, so there's nothing else for me to do.  :)

So I guess in that sense, you could call it "abandoned" ... except that it still works, and probably will continue to work as long as Kopernicus keeps working.  In my own KSP gameplay, I do use my own mods, which means I'm motivated to keep them always up-to-date with the latest version of KSP.  I may occasionally be lazy or absentminded and forget to mark them as working (e.g. the way that this thread has been labeled "1.2.2" for lo these many moons, even after KSP 1.3 came out), but they work.

• 1 month later...

In case @Snark didn't get notifications of a pull request or was monitoring a Suggestions thread, that Suggestions thread prompted me to update Jool Biomes for Kopernicus 1.3.1-3.

Notably, I added localization support. Not doing that would cause KerbNet to not display biome names, and science reports would read as coming from "a Great Green Spot of a Jool." Adding displayName values and getting the grammar right fixes the science reports and KerbNet.

This is a pre-release. I'll leave it to Snark to accept the changes or not for an official release.

If I were better with Gimp I'd change the biome colour map to look more Jool-like. The biome map didn't previously matter until KerbNet came along with its coloured biome maps.

Edited by Gordon Fecyk

22 hours ago, Gordon Fecyk said:

Notably, I added localization support. Not doing that would cause KerbNet to not display biome names, and science reports would read as coming from "a Great Green Spot of a Jool." Adding displayName values and getting the grammar right fixes the science reports and KerbNet.

Oh, nice!  Thanks, I'll take a look at this when I have a chance.

• 1 year later...
5 hours ago, jpinard said:

Did the developers ever add proper Biomes to Jool or is this still needed?

No, stock Jool still has no biomes.

5 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

1st, with this work with the new JNSQ mod?

No idea, haven't used JNSQ myself and have no clue what it does, other than a vague impression that it's some sort of planet pack. I can say that this mod only touches Jool, so my guess is that it will play fine with any planet pack, unless that planet pack also touches Jool. Which I have no idea about, in JNSQ's case.

5 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

2nd, would you know if OPM would work with the new JNSQ mod?

Haven't the foggiest. Maybe ask in the JNSQ thread?

12 hours ago, Snark said:

No, stock Jool still has no biomes.

No idea, haven't used JNSQ myself and have no clue what it does, other than a vague impression that it's some sort of planet pack. I can say that this mod only touches Jool, so my guess is that it will play fine with any planet pack, unless that planet pack also touches Jool. Which I have no idea about, in JNSQ's case.

Haven't the foggiest. Maybe ask in the JNSQ thread?

Thank you @Snark!

• 1 year later...

Hi @Snark, I was looking to use this mod for the biomes, but keep the stock 'high quality' looking clouds that are in the latest version (using .1.10.1). 

I don't mind I can't see the visual spot on the face of Jool. I figure that'll just be fun to try to find it with no visual reference until I've scanned the biome map.

For removing your custom texture, is it as easy as removing this section of code in your CFG file? It seems to work, but I'm not sure I'm making things worse with a half baked Kopernicus cfg.

@Kopernicus:AFTER[OPM]
{
	@Body[Jool]
    {
        @ScaledVersion
        {		
			// Need to turn this off so we can show our custom texture, with the Spot
			-ProceduralGasGiant { }
		}
	}
}

Edited by cyberKerb

2 hours ago, cyberKerb said:

I was looking to use this mod for the biomes, but keep the stock 'high quality' looking clouds that are in the latest version (using .1.10.1). 

I was thinking the same thing.  I feel Jool has been neglected from an exploration standpoint and there hasn't been an incentive for Galileo-style death plunges into the depths of the atmosphere.

3 hours ago, cyberKerb said:

For removing your custom texture, is it as easy as removing this section of code in your CFG file? It seems to work, but I'm not sure I'm making things worse with a half baked Kopernicus cfg.

Yeah, that looks pretty close.  I would think that you'd probably also want to get rid of this part,

@ScaledVersion
{		
    %Material
    {
        texture = JoolBiomes/JoolColor.png
    }				
}

...but if you've found a combo that works for you, go for it.  :)

• 4 weeks later...

@cyberKerb, just FYI, I'm trying this out for the first time in KSP 1.11 with Spectra.  It works fine as is, but I think there's some subtle overlap that pixelates or breaks up the textures - it's mostly hidden by Spectra's cloud and haze layer.  I applied a Jool.cfg with both instances of @ScaledVersion removed, as noted above, and it seems to be a little bit cleaner.  The Stock texture seems to have a subtle Great Green Spot of it's own, which I think is in the approximate location of the JoolBiomes spot in KerbNet.  I'll probably try out SCANsat next to see how it comes out....

EDIT: SCANsat seems to work, although I can't seem to get a planetary overlay to show on Jool.  Also, I may have misread where the Great Green Spot was.  There's nothing externally that matches with its actual location (I think Spectra has its own GGS, but the clouds progress at a different rate than planet rotation), but SCANsat allows you to plot a waypoint which will show in the Map View.

Edited by KSPrynk
More detail

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.