Real Airplanes (RO, AJE, FAR)

winged

Wonderful B-36 (as your other aircraft), far better than my attempt. Pity it's RSS only as I would have loved playing with the craft file if you ever decided to share it. But just seeing yours has inspired me to go and make some improvements to mine.

And just when i was thinking about making my own Convair B-36 Piecemaker (fully stock and 1:1 scale of course) using a "little" (bout 90 cm wing span) papermodel of the aircraft as reference (Built it about 2 to 3 weeks ago).

HFBhZty.jpg

And now with 1.1 around the corner, it should be much more doable than before.

Anyway. Well done on all of these crafts, especially on the paint jobs, very nice and clean.

On 5.04.2016 at 0:25 AM, selfish_meme said:

Wow the B-36 is a beast, would love to see a goblin fighter with it

I'm not really into parasite fighters because things like docking in atmospheric flight, aerial refuelling etc. are simply beyond my Kerbal skills.

On 9.04.2016 at 9:45 AM, Andrew_C said:

Wonderful B-36 (as your other aircraft), far better than my attempt. Pity it's RSS only as I would have loved playing with the craft file if you ever decided to share it. But just seeing yours has inspired me to go and make some improvements to mine.

The biggest problem is not RSS but the fact that I repainted and resized lots of parts from parts packs - so you'll need not only crafts files but my whole gamedata folder. Sharing gamedata would be probably illegal especially because I've made lots of changes changes to various mods.

@kapteenipirk great job, brilliant replica!

Anyway, I've already created MiG 15, MiG 17 and B-52 Superfortress (early variant) - more pictures soon:

qqb3OoL.jpg

sQ4zKJH.jpg

Size comprarision between US bombers:

NXhwAfU.jpg

Another size comparision, this time between B-36 and average-sized Kerbal

yNGhHRP.jpg

Edited by winged
screenshots

On 28.03.2016 at 7:39 PM, Matuchkin said:

I am yet to see someone do an actual, realistic military air mission. I'd like to see some Gulf-War material in this thread. Can you do a dogfight vid on... say... 3 or 4 f-15Cs on SEAD around the southern Persian Gulf, in Iran territory, spot a squadron of MiG-21s in flight. They decide to rendezvous and exchange fire.

Simple fight between two groups of planes is definitely possible but I am afraid that more complicated missions with various targets on ground and in the air may be too difficult for AI. At least I can reassure you that MiG 21 and F-16 are on my To-Do list.

2 hours ago, winged said:

Simple fight between two groups of planes is definitely possible but I am afraid that more complicated missions with various targets on ground and in the air may be too difficult for AI. At least I can reassure you that MiG 21 and F-16 are on my To-Do list.

You can probably fly them yourself, until you reach the mission goal, then activate AI. Right?

Also, thanks for the consideration.

Edited by Matuchkin

North American X-15

The North American X-15 was a hypersonic rocket-powered aircraft operated by the United States Air Force and the National Aeronautics and Space Administration as part of the X-plane series of experimental aircraft. The X-15 set speed and altitude records in the 1960s, reaching the edge of outer space and returning with valuable data used in aircraft and spacecraft design. As of April 2016, the X-15 holds the official world record for the highest speed ever recorded by a manned, powered aircraft. It could reach a top speed of 4,520 miles per hour (7,274 km/h), or Mach 6.72.

MUSIC:
Storming New Caprica - Bear McReary (Battlestar Galactica Season 3 - OST)

Mods used:

X-15: Proc. Parts, B9 Proc. Wings, NEBULA Decals, Adjustable Landing Gear
B-52: Stock Mk3 Fuselage resized and retextured, B9 Aerospace, Proc. Parts, B9 Proc. Wings, NEBULA Decals, Adjustable Landing Gear

Pictures:

Edited by winged

Ah, the X-15, a rocket with wings and a cockpit. That bloody thing made me lose Bob, Bill, Jeb, and Val because of a small despawning incident. I went 30 km away from the KHB-52 and it disappeared.

Anyway, Well done on making the X-15 work.

Mine one does fly on a straight line, but brakes up at mach-2 and loses control whenever I touch any controls.

I will probably refurbish my B-52 and X-15 someday and maby even paint the thing.

On 9-4-2016 at 11:37 AM, kapteenipirk said:

And just when i was thinking about making my own Convair B-36 Piecemaker (fully stock and 1:1 scale of course) using a "little" (bout 90 cm wing span) papermodel of the aircraft as reference (Built it about 2 to 3 weeks ago).

HFBhZty.jpg

And now with 1.1 around the corner, it should be much more doable than before.

Anyway. Well done on all of these crafts, especially on the paint jobs, very nice and clean.

Using the right parts this plane should not have a high part count

3 minutes ago, soulreaver1981 said:

Using the right parts this plane should not have a high part count

Well, lets hope so, but from my experience with builds like these, I can already tell that its propably going have a pretty high part count (because of the record braking wings witch are thick enough to have human sized crawl spaces), but the fuselage is rounded, so fairings to the rescue (bombays cant be made out of fairings tough). Plus, if you want a see-trough cockpit like the one in my B-17, That is going to eat up a lot of parts.

4 minutes ago, kapteenipirk said:

Well, lets hope so, but from my experience with builds like these, I can already tell that its propably going have a pretty high part count (because of the record braking wings witch are thick enough to have human sized crawl spaces), but the fuselage is rounded, so fairings to the rescue (bombays cant be made out of fairings tough). Plus, if you want a see-trough cockpit like the one in my B-17, That is going to eat up a lot of parts.

The standaart copit now can be see trought

1 hour ago, soulreaver1981 said:

The standaart copit now can be see trought

Yep, but none of them really fit. And what I actually mean with a see-trough cockpit, is.

Is that the whole nose section will have an interior (cockpit, the compartment behind the cockpit and the nose), but I will probably also do a simpler version using a fairing and some solar-panels.

On 21.4.2016 at 8:10 AM, winged said:

@kapteenpirk very nice plane... but that part count. My B-52 with X-15 attached consists of only 170 parts and that's one of the main reasons why I'm using procedurals.

Well, that tends to be a problem when you use all stock parts.

• 2 weeks later...

Boeing X-20 Dyna-Soar

The X-20A Dyna-Soar (Dynamic Soarer) was a single-pilot manned reusable spaceplane which could be used for a variety of military missions, including reconnaissance, bombing, space rescue, satellite maintenance, and sabotage of enemy satellites.The program ran from 24 October 1957 to 10 December 1963.

Cancellation in December 1963 came only eight months before planned drop tests from a B-52 and a first manned flight in 1966.

Research into a spaceplane was realized much later, in other reusable spacecraft such as the Space Shuttle, which had its first orbital flight in 1981, and, more recently, the Boeing X-37B spacecraft.

MODS:
RSS, RO, RVE, Scaterrer
FASA, Procedural Tanks, Procedural Wings, NEBULA Decals, Procedural Fairings
Resized and repainted stock Mk1 parts.

• 5 weeks later...

Polikarpov Po-2

The Polikarpov Po-2 (also U-2) served as a general-purpose Soviet biplane, nicknamed Kukuruznik (Russian: Кукурузник, from Russian "kukuruza" (кукуруза) for maize; thus, "maize duster" or "crop duster"), NATO reporting name "Mule". The reliable, uncomplicated concept of the Po-2's design made it an ideal training aircraft, as well as doubling as a low-cost ground attack, aerial reconnaissance, psychological warfare and liaison aircraft during war, proved to be one of the most versatile light combat types to be built in the Soviet Union. As of 1978 it remained in production for a longer period of time than any other Soviet-era aircraft.

From the beginning, the U-2 became the basic Soviet civil and military trainer aircraft, mass-produced in a "Red Flyer" factory near Moscow. It was also used for transport, and as a military liaison aircraft, due to its STOL capabilities. Also from the beginning it was produced in an agricultural aircraft variant, what earned it its nickname Kukuruznik. Although entirely outclassed by contemporary aircraft, the Kukuruznik served extensively on the Eastern Front in World War II, primarily as a liaison, medevac and general supply aircraft. It was especially useful for supplying Soviet partisans behind the front line. Manufacturing of the Po-2 in the USSR ceased in 1949, but until 1959 a number were assembled in Aeroflot repair workshops.

Wehrmacht troops nicknamed it Nähmaschine (sewing machine) for its rattling sound and Finnish troops called it Hermosaha (Nerve saw)[citation needed] as the Soviets flew nocturnal missions at low altitudes: the engine had a very peculiar sound, which was described as nerve-wracking, therefore the name. Luftwaffe pilots were soon given special instructions for engaging these aircraft. The material effects of these missions may be regarded as minor, but the psychological effect on German troops was noticeable. They typically attacked by surprise in the middle of the night, denying German troops sleep and keeping them on their guard, contributing to the already high stress of combat on the Eastern front. The usual tactic involved flying only a few meters above the ground, rising for the final approach, throttling back the engine and making a gliding bombing run, leaving the targeted troops with only the eerie whistling of the wind in the wings' bracing-wires as an indication of the impending attack. Luftwaffe fighters found it extremely hard to shoot down the Kukuruznik because of two main factors: the pilots flew at treetop level where they were hard to see or engage and the stall speed of both the Messerschmitt Bf 109 and the Focke-Wulf Fw 190 was similar to the U-2s maximum speed, making it difficult for the fighters to keep a Po-2 in weapons range for an adequate period of time. The success of the Soviet night harassment units inspired the Luftwaffe to set up similar Störkampfstaffel "harassment combat squadrons" on the Eastern Front using their own obsolete 1930s-era, open cockpit biplane and parasol monoplane aircraft, eventually building up to larger Nachtschlachtgruppe (night attack group) units of a few squadrons each.

The U-2 became known as the aircraft used by the 588th Night Bomber Regiment, composed of an all-women pilot and ground crew complement. The unit was notorious for daring low-altitude night raids on German rear-area positions. Veteran pilots Yekaterina Ryabova and Nadezhda Popova on one occasion flew eighteen missions in a single night. The women pilots observed that the enemy suffered a further degree of demoralization simply due to their antagonists being female. As such, the pilots earned the nickname "Night Witches" (German Nachthexen, Russian Ночные Ведьмы/Nočnye Ved’my). The unit earned numerous Hero of the Soviet Union citations and dozens of Order of the Red Banner medals; most surviving pilots had flown nearly 1,000 combat missions by the end of the war and took part in the Battle of Berlin.

Look at takeoff speed. 18m/s with almost empty fuel tanks!

5aabCxd.png

CKwYJaV.png

I need to note that because lack of better parts my replica uses two machine guns instead of one and an engine with cowling.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Adam Kerman said:

Anyone here?

Don't think so, just give em a while. People stop playing KSP for months at a time sometimes, and even altogether. If you want a B-24 or something, I can make one with the same mods he used, just PM me.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.