Real Airplanes (RO, AJE, FAR)

winged

Alpha is a series of experimental planes designed to break various aviation records:

vAVNymW.png

A - Alpha Extreme - lowest wing loading (2,8 kg/m^2) and lowest speed necessary for horizontal flight (8-9 m/s). 70 m of wingspan.

B - Alpha GlobalFlyer - designed to achieve maximum range for a piston engine aircrafts - 61.000 km according to FAR. Enough to circumnavigate the Earth 1,5x.

C - Alpha Solar - powered by solar cells during day, and by batteries at night. Solar cells are capable of not only powering the plane but also fully recharging the battery before at night thus allowing for a infinite range (at least as long as nights aren't longer than days) while cruising at 21 m/s.

D - Alpha Record - designed for altitude records. Electric propeller with drop-batteries to gradually reduce the mass during ascent. Alpha Record is capable of reaching altitude of 29.900 m when launched from the ground and 40.500 m when launched from a high altitude aircraft (such as U-2). The second number is limited only by a plane design and engine power, not by the amount of battery left.

E - Alpha Mars - lightest aircraft I've ever created -  85 kg designed for flying in the lowest areas of Mars, using electric propulsion. Only 0,036kN will be required to fly at red planet. Very low wing loading - 6,5 kg/m^2 - comparable with many birds, 100x lower than modern airliners. 

F4F Wildcat was added to give the sense of scale.

Alpha Solar

B4un1mf.png

Alpha record while flying at 40.500 m (note: I cheated electricity usage)

5Fyey9G.png

Edited by winged

@winged

A while back i asked about mods you use supporting RP-0 and you said:

"Mods which I am using to create planes are usually not supported by RP-0 so I'm creating custom support mostly for cockpits and BD Armory parts."

Any chance you have a single seater UN-PRESSURIZED 1st/2nd generation fighter cockpit, like a F-86 Sabre or MIG-15 (or something else in service by December 1949), with RO configs and pricing in RP-0 thats in the starting tech nodes?

I'm hoping to get an "official" single seater cockpit added to the start nodes of RP-0, as one is oddly missing. The mass/length savings alone would be welcomed.

Edited by Guest

Phoenix - Titan spaceplane launched in RP-0: https://imgur.com/a/DyRcQ

WbPuWmd.png

fmyW7wr.png

11 hours ago, Aazard said:

I can give you MiG-15 cockpit but you will have to build a housing around it like i did: https://i.imgur.com/k5LEhX7.png - without that it looks completely different

Except that there is also single seater cockpit which I used for many planes such us P-47: https://i.imgur.com/H0tRoVE.png  - I added few structural parts to imitate a seat inside.

Are you interested in these two? Also there's no such thing as unpressurized cockpit in RP-0 (not in version I use). You can go as high as you want with WWII stuff as long as you bring enough oxygen with you.

Edited by winged

i noticed a small error in one of the ...?tree?... files that didnt add the tag "pressurize = false" or something similar "fixed it "in my install. Its not like i can get a plane over 50km anyways, but it limits manned test flights to under that altitude ... which i think is realistic??

I'm interested in both as options to test, which ever would the lightest would get my pick though. Can you help me get started on the lighter of the 2, but the MIG-15 looks more FAR friendly in its lines and is much more fitting the starting timeline.

Just to give RP0 users an option for a slightly lighter and smaller cockpit, if lets say they were trying for rp0 starting node supersonic (399m/sec / mach 1.35+) stratosphere cruising (25km ceiling, 30km climb to stall ceiling) single engine jet. It could become an obsession lol.

Honestly winged or anyone else reading this that really understands area ruling, mach tuck, pros/cons of different wing configurations etc i need help cracking 20m ceiling at 363m/sec (mach 1.22+)

Edited by Guest

Mods to download: https://www.curseforge.com/kerbal/ksp-mods/quiztech-aero-pack

https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/97637-real-airplanes-piston-engines-with-aje-and-more-update-32715/

RP-0/RO configs: https://www.dropbox.com/s/x2zdvnswv1ai3v6/cockpits.cfg?dl=0

5 hours ago, Aazard said:

Honestly winged or anyone else reading this that really understands area ruling, mach tuck, pros/cons of different wing configurations etc i need help cracking 20m ceiling at 363m/sec (mach 1.22+) 

For 20+ km ceiling you need either low wing loading and high aspect ratio (like planes I posted few posts above) or just a delta wing and powerful engine (like Valkyrie or Blackbird).

11 hours ago, winged said:

For 20+ km ceiling you need either low wing loading and high aspect ratio (like planes I posted few posts above) or just a delta wing and powerful engine (like Valkyrie or Blackbird).

Exactly.

Problems you run into when doing this is the pros and cons of Delta wings or low wing loading designs, like the F-105, you end up with REALLY high landing speeds or low speed instability.   

I generally stick to cranked delta wing designs.  This gives you a bit more control at lower speeds and a bit slower landing speed.  While you do lose some high speed performance, nothing to drastic as to really matter.

@winged

which is the mig-15 cockpit?

Edit: quiztech parts seem to crash game load after mm patches but before menu when loading part names. running ksp64 1.3.1 on windows 10

any chance of just getting a drop box link to a single zip folder with just the requirments for the MIG-15 cockpit. I'm not sure if i'm being a noob or if i have incomparable files with my version of ksp

Edited by Guest

which is the mig-15 cockpit?

K-10.

Edit: quiztech parts seem to crash game load after mm patches but before menu when loading part names. running ksp64 1.3.1 on windows 10

I use KSP 1.0.5 for planes. It seems like many mods I use including QuizTechAero are simply not compatible with KSP 1.+ versions. 

1 hour ago, Aazard said:

@winged

Now i just noticed kerbals are about 1000kg extra mass when added to a craft, any one know why? 

That's a well known bug, you need to post it in RP-0 or RO threads, someone will know how to help you.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.