Lost All of My Probe Craft

KSP 1.0.5, Win7 64-bit, 12GB RAM

I've been having problems with mod installs lately and decided to remove them all and reload them from scratch.  I've used CKAN for mod management.  I uninstalled via CKAN and cleared out the Gamedata folder (except for the Squad folder).  I reinstalled everthing via CKAN.

I started the game and loaded my career save only to discover that all of my probe craft had completely disappeared.  Debris and other pods (admittedly only 2 Kerbals awaiting rescue; I had no manned missions flying) remained.  Contracts that relied on a probe being on station for a certain period of time were reset to their original periods.

Can I recover from this?

Edited by Brigadier
Answered

Only if you have a backup of your persistence file or a quicksave. When you load a game and there are craft in flight with missing parts they are deleted, If you then exit normally your save is overwritten. You would need to ALT-F4 or quit through desktop to stop the game being saved and permanently losing your craft.

Are they really gone or are they simply not showing on the map?
To check go the the top centre of the screen and open the pull down menu. Make sure the probe icon is highlighted. Categories that are greyed-out will not show on the map.

3 hours ago, John FX said:

Only if you have a backup of your persistence file or a quicksave. When you load a game and there are craft in flight with missing parts they are deleted, If you then exit normally your save is overwritten. You would need to ALT-F4 or quit through desktop to stop the game being saved and permanently losing your craft.

I did have one and on loading all the satellites and a Mun lander re-appeared.  Unfortunately, the lander was not controllable; I could make it the active vessel but the engine wouldn't respond to throttle control.

2 hours ago, Tex_NL said:

Are they really gone or are they simply not showing on the map?
To check go the the top centre of the screen and open the pull down menu. Make sure the probe icon is highlighted. Categories that are greyed-out will not show on the map.

Thanks for that thought.  The pull down shows probes highlighted (i.e. visible) and 0 probes when there should 18.

I think I'm going to have to start over...again.:mad:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.