No New Comms System in 1.1

Starhawk

Joe (Dr Turkey) announced on Squadcast today that 1.1 will not have the new 'antenna-range like' comms system included.

Personally, I don't have a problem with this.  There's enough important stuff under the hood in 1.1 that I'm not stressed over the absence pushing back of this feature to the following release.

Happy landings!

Edited by Starhawk

You have to remember that adding something like antenna range means you not only have to debug antenna range, you have to debug it with everything else.  Adding even a little bit breaks things in other places.

My only problem with the antennas is that there are multiple types, with no advantage for all but the earliest one.

Are the "stupidity" and "bravery" traits ever going to be used?  Or are they just going to be silly shout outs to all the earlier editions?  I really can't see any possible way to use them, especially if leveled kerbals have no difference in actual flight (delta-v and such).  I think I would miss seeing such choices, especially as long as we can choose which kerbals we are going to make astronauts.  It adds a little personality, otherwise all we have are the (mostly random) names.

4 minutes ago, KasperVld said:

This was a very tough call to make, but it had to be made to ensure that 1.1 wouldn't get delayed at this point. After all, we've been working on it for quite some time now.

I'm hearing you guys about how unexpectedly difficult and yet still worthwhile the ugrade to Unity 5 is.

I support your decision to hold back this feature in order to expedite 1.1.  I think it's a good call.

I was somewhat surprised by some of the negativity in the Squadcast chat, but that's the internet for you.

Happy landings!

I 100% support the call to push this particular feature to the next release (and yep, I was aware of this possibility and enthusiastically support the reason why).  It's a pretty large change, since it encompasses the science system (there are buffs to science for having a more reliable comm network - not nerfs), changes to how you work with probes, and a lot of stuff being directly wired into the flight and map views to support all of this.  And this means a LOT of QA time, as well as lots of regression testing.

And while a mod has a lot of leeway in their QA process (as is evidenced by my frantic week of debugging USI-LS and MKS :P), you don't have the same luxury in the stock game, especially when it touches so many areas.  And I expect folks would agree that we want this to be totally rock solid when it goes out the door.  And I expect you will not be dissapointed :) 

Edited by RoverDude

8 minutes ago, RoverDude said:

I 100% support the call to push this particular feature to the next release...

I agree.  Take your time and make it the best it can possibly be.  I'd rather have a new, finished feature than a new, unfinished feature.

Good call on dropping the stock RT thing, suggest you focus on performance and bugfixes instead.

No new features == no worries... so long as we do get 64bit for Windows and performance back up to pre-1.0 levels - at the very least.
Honestly, I have zero interest in any Shiny New S*** until the pervasive performance issues are sorted.

I've been waiting literally years for respectable performance, bring on 1.1... the release where the game starts to perform like a professional product rather than a tech-demo, and the "engine" bugs we all know and hate actually get fixed...
Or not.

If we still get GC stutter and single-digit framerates after 1.1 I will most likely be ditching this game for good.

I would vastly prefer this to holding 1.1 back. Smart choice. While the new comm feature sounds like it'll be awesome there's always going to be more awesome features for KSP. 1.1 is a huge bucket 'o improvements, we needs it as soon as is reasonable.

Thanks for the update, + 1 for making a good choice.

2 hours ago, RoverDude said:

I 100% support the call to push this particular feature to the next release (and yep, I was aware of this possibility and enthusiastically support the reason why).  It's a pretty large change, since it encompasses the science system (there are buffs to science for having a more reliable comm network - not nerfs), changes to how you work with probes, and a lot of stuff being directly wired into the flight and map views to support all of this.  And this means a LOT of QA time, as well as lots of regression testing.

And while a mod has a lot of leeway in their QA process (as is evidenced by my frantic week of debugging USI-LS and MKS :P), you don't have the same luxury in the stock game, especially when it touches so many areas.  And I expect folks would agree that we want this to be totally rock solid when it goes out the door.  And I expect you will not be dissapointed :) 

There is so much hinting and selling going on in that post, I don't know what to make of it.  I'm super excited, and that makes me cautious, 'cause I hate being let down.  

Can it be stated whether or not this was a @RoverDude concept/pitch that is going to be implemented?

22 hours ago, KasperVld said:

This was a very tough call to make, but it had to be made to ensure that 1.1 wouldn't get delayed at this point. After all, we've been working on it for quite some time now.

I would rep you for that, but you have 2048 rep points and I don't want to upset the balance.

EDIT: Well, now you have 2066. Make that 2067, and good luck on your way to the next power of two.

Edited by Hobbes Novakoff

Take the time to make it right and deeply integrated into the game.

I bet, there was enough critical work and bug fixing with the port to Unity 5. And finally getting a 64 Bit Mac version is enough for me in. As we have antenna range and new rocket part looks in 1.2, there are plenty of new things to get a big hype train going for that update. 1.1 was always a "convenience update" for me and i am still really looking forward to its release. Solid hype train ready for 1.1!

And thanks for the open communications about this topic. Much better than an err next time on release :)

Personally I feel a bit disappointed. I postponed playing KSP 1.0.4 ever since Unity 5 upgrade and comsat gameplay was announced, and was very much looking forward to playing with satellites and creating a long-lasting network. It's been a good couple of months of development for both Unity5 and the new comsat feature, so I wonder if this decision was driven by the state of development or rather the state of the QA/experimentals team. 

The decision hurts, but I will trust that you know what is best. I just hope that the modders of remotetech and scansat will be able to update their mods for 1.1 without too much problems.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.