No New Comms System in 1.1

Starhawk

I agree. Migration to 64 bit is the most important thing. And after that debugging and optimizing of engine and UI as much as possible. I can get details from mods. In any case I expect that SQUADs version of communications is too simplified and I continue to use more technical mods.

8 hours ago, KasperVld said:

This was a very tough call to make, but it had to be made to ensure that 1.1 wouldn't get delayed at this point. After all, we've been working on it for quite some time now.

Can you believe it's closing in on a year now?  (that's not a complaint btw, just commenting)

3 hours ago, Hannu2 said:

I agree. Migration to 64 bit is the most important thing.

Only if it does not void any existing mods for months (don't wanna say "forever").

Does the 1.1 retain compatibility with an existing RemoteTech? If not, we should lose this functionality without getting it back.

The latest KER, in fact, still won't operate correctly with 1.0.5 x64 - not because of an "unsupported" x64, but because of 1.0.5

13 minutes ago, _Astra_ said:

The latest KER, in fact, still won't operate correctly with 1.0.5 x64 - not because of an "unsupported" x64, but because of 1.0.5

What problems does it have? I haven't played much in 105 but have not noticed any problems with engineer mod & 64b.

As far as I have understood migration to new unity breaks mods very badly. It has taken near a year to port the game, so there are huge changes in code. It certainly takes several months to get essential mods to work, and maybe we lose some, but it must be done. 32 bit with heavy memory limitations are not enough for KSP anymore. I recommend that everyone keeps 1.0.5 and mods on side of 1.1. I am not going to even download new version before necessary mods are updated. Therefore I hope that SQUAD makes everything they can to ensure that game is as bugless as possible so that modders and SQUAD can concentrate to add content in later versions. But it is somewhat pointless to add things now if migration and bug fixes probably break it soon.

One thing I would like to see is for the entire UI to be scaleable, not only the Flight UI.

I have a 28" 4K screen, and KSP looks spectacular in that resolution, but when building something in the VAB/SPH, the item's icons and descriptions are illegible, unless I move my head closer to the screen. A simple scaling option would be awesome.

4 minutes ago, Choctofliatrio2.0 said:

Alright, thanks. That's kinda a shame. I was looking forward to that.

I guess I could theoretically just install Remote Tech

I understand that the new system will be closer to the Antenna Range mod than Remote Tech.

Happy landings!

8 hours ago, steve_v said:

Good call on dropping the stock RT thing, suggest you focus on performance and bugfixes instead.

No new features == no worries... so long as we do get 64bit for Windows and performance back up to pre-1.0 levels - at the very least.
Honestly, I have zero interest in any Shiny New S*** until the pervasive performance issues are sorted.

I've been waiting literally years for respectable performance, bring on 1.1... the release where the game starts to perform like a professional product rather than a tech-demo, and the "engine" bugs we all know and hate actually get fixed...
Or not.

If we still get GC stutter and single-digit framerates after 1.1 I will most likely be ditching this game for good.

This exactly my feelings.  The only 2 things ive grown to even care about right now are performance and bug fixes, since well, those 2 are whats really limiting my game.  While new parts/features are all fine and dandy, ive always been happy with what the older game provided me (honestly i could go back to 0.25 and be happy with part options, only recently added parts im dead set on having are MK2 parts since i use em in virtually every aircraft like vessel and even many non atmospheric ships for looks, and the super large nasa boosters since they stop me from having to engineer 30 stack asparagus just to get a capital ship off the ground).  The aero, as nice as it is isnt too big since i kinda stopped making SSTOs to everywhere, and when it comes to vessels that are never intended to go to space, it just does not matter what the atmo is like provided its possible to launch vessels up there.

That and i see probe cores as intelligent AI brains no worse then kerbal brains (thats how i explain their ability to not care about LOS or any sort of communication systems), so id prolly end up not using this feature anyway unless there is a way to keep the science/communication limits but not limit my ability to fly a droid star-fighter which lacks a kerbal all alone wherever i want to.   Hopefully probes dont become unable to control a ship out of their own free will (cause they are obviously sentient if you read the part description on say the mk2 drone core or the hex probe).

Anyways, looking forwards to 1.1, HOPEFULLY we will see some improvements and at a bare minimum 0.90 performance where i could actually have 2 vs 2 capital ship shooting battles without crashing or melting my machine.

14 hours ago, KasperVld said:

This was a very tough call to make, but it had to be made to ensure that 1.1 wouldn't get delayed at this point. After all, we've been working on it for quite some time now.

The fact that the first reply on this topic was from Squad, speaks volumes about the devs.  I don't know of another developer that engages with it's fanbase like Squad does.

9 hours ago, cfds said:

Yay, RemoteTech will not be broken by a stock (speak: sub par) "implementation" yet!

Speaks volumes about the users, sadly.  Although I believe several recently-added features are inferior to the equivalent mods (atmos and fairings mainly) there is a right and a wrong way to voice that.  Then you've got to consider the fact that Squad want the base game to be simple and accessible.  Remotetech is neither.  I'm pretty sure 1.1 is going to break most mods anyway, it's huge.  And Remotetech is already broken in a number of ways, it needs an overhaul.  The game is moddable in order to allow people to customise their experience on top of the base game.  Most mods should remain mods.

I'm lucky to be running 64-bit already, so for me this update is about the optimisations, and getting back into Windows (opengl is the only option on Linux, and it's not as pretty as DX)

15 hours ago, Caelib said:

That's disappointing to hear -- it's been nearly a year since 1.0 with no significant features added to the game and I was really, really looking forward to something new!

The ressource system is a big new feature in my opinion.

The new atmosphere dynamic is quite big also.

1.1 will have lots of big stuff aswell, 64bit, new and more efficient UI, new Orbit UI, new wheel dynamics (Traction control, new surface detections).

We'll have a lot of stuff to play with.

And the next update after 1.1 risk to come up quickly since there will surlet have some bugs or adjustments to do after such a big updates, Communication System may be part of those semi-minor updates.

4 hours ago, jlcarneiro said:

No problem, I can stick to AntennaRange while I wait. Now the million dollar question: does it mean 1.1 will be "no gamesave breaking"?

Given the move from Unity4 to Unity5 and serious rewrite of backend I wouldn't count on it.

As always, keep your current game in a folder away from any auto updating stuff (like Steam).

Then you can update and see if your saves work.

And if doesn't, continue with the active save in it's safe folder and play with the new stuff when you want.

I definitely feel like a minority here. Since 1.0.5 I've been waiting for the new antenna features. I figure they will require space program paradigm changes that would really bork a campaign running the old system.

Would rather wait longer than be tempted by an upgrade just to have a career save killed by changing core mechanics.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.