Naming themes of rockets?

ToukieToucan

1 hour ago, SpaceCommunism said:

Well first off I would prefer to knock off the solid historical ones, but are you referring to the quack aids treatment guy or a specific quack treatment involving basil?

Just today I paired a rescue mission with a tourism mission. "Hitler's Syphilis"

in the 1500s, some physicians believed that by simply smelling basil scorpions would grow in the brain. The scorpion theory can be traced to the writings of an English physician who, while in Italy, observed that if basil were placed under a stone in a moist place, a scorpion would be produced in two days’ time. There’s also at least one anecdotal reference by another “learned physician” to a patient having succumbed to scorpion infestation in his brain brought about by frequently smelling the herb.

/historical

GROUNDBASE BASIL :)

Edited by Overland

well given my naming scheme a name that suggests the base is infested with scorpions would be at par for the course. I haven't even heard of that, most of my ideas for that category come from my fandom of the sawbones podcast, but sure Basil it is. I am a noob I need to establish a mun base, so basil it can be then I guess. Would the scorpions drastically effect my productivity?

16 hours ago, Christoph1337 said:

It's been a while since I checked. At the moment, I'm planning a new Science Mode series with plans to name them after gemstones. Here's what I have planned: 

Quartz Series: suborbital flight 

Pearl Series: Mun missions 

Turquoise Series: Minmus 

Ruby Series: Duna 

Amethyst Series: Eve 

Zircon Series: Moho 

Emerald Series: Jool (will probably have several specially-named probe to investigate the moons) 

Diamond Series: Eeloo 

Poor Dres... what does it get, coal series?

This time around in my career campaign, I've separated the naming of equipment and missions... I found that a bit hampering last time.  So, in development, I give them names like "Orbital Probe B," etc., and then when they're actually on missions I name the mission, generally from Egyptian mythology, and generally (though not invariably) as the counterpart of the Greco-Roman names we've used historically... so, Horus instead of Apollo, Thoth instead of Hermes/Mercury, Gemini became Nebwy ("the two lords"), etc.

18 hours ago, Choctofliatrio2.0 said:

Poor Dres... what does it get, coal series?

Dangit, I KNEW I forgot something! I'm going to chalk that up to being exhausted by the week; normally I hate the people who forget Dres. I'll go ahead and call it the Garnet Series. 

In my universe, probes get totally functional descriptive names like "Jool Relay CommSat 1".

Kerbaled ships and bases, however, all get acronym names, the letters of which describe the ship's mission.  The Kerbals create these acronym names in the same way we do, and their acronyms are words in Old Kerbish that are all catchy things like figures from their mythology and admirable species of wildlife.  However, none of these acronyms translates into English because we don't have words for those things.  Thus, all I can do is translate the individual words that make up the acronym from Old Kerbish into English and, due to a strange coincidence, the 1st letters of these English words form an acronym in English.  Unfortunately, the resulting English acronym is usually quite disparaging.  Here are some of my favorite examples:

LOSER:  Laythe Observation Seaplane for Exploration and Reconnaissance

STEAMINGPILE:  Self-contained Temporary Environment Allowing Mining in New Glory for Poor Idiots Landing on Eeloo

VACUOUS:  Very Ambitious Circumnavigator Upon Oceans and Up Shores

TRASHCAN:  Tekto Reentry Aircraft Specially Honed to Carry Astronauts and NOMs

CRACKHEAD:  Cryogenic Refrigerator About Carrying Kerbals Heading for Extremely Arduous Destinations

I put as much effort into thinking up these names as I do designing the ships themselves :D

I came up with this naming conventions for a rocket family for a realism overhaul play through, but I got distracted with a different career game and never finished designing the rockets.

Lincoln Class Ultra Light Launcher: 1T to LEO

Jefferson Class Light Launcher: 5T to LEO

Roosevelt Class Medium Launcher: 10T to LEO

Washington Class Heavy Lifter: 25T to LEO

Kennedy Class Super Heavy Lifter: 50T to LEO

Eisenhower Class Ultra Heavy LIfter: 100T to LEO

Can anyone guess the pattern? It's pretty simple.

Edited by Rabada

I must say that SQUAD has the best naming system. I bet they spent more time thinking about these than building the rockets them selves.

This way taken from the Denote Tuesday : Wednesday II

lMwOFUd.png

Edited by worir4

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.