For Science! (You've forgotten this existed, haven't you?)

RocketSquid

13 hours ago, Geschosskopf said:

But because raw Ore doesn't burn in stock, I consider running an ISRU plant off fuel cells to be a flagrant violation of the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics.  Now, if you've got a mod that allows burning raw Ore, then there's no 2nd Law problem in your universe and fuel cells are a viable option.

As a matter of fact, the Flex power pack from Buffalo is capable of burning ore, so I would be good with fuel cells.

13 hours ago, Geschosskopf said:

When I have to pick between various tech tree nodes, I go for the one that most helps me do the type of mission I have in mind.  IOW, I have my mission goals drive my technology, not the other way around. Personally, I never have much use for much of the stuff you list here.  I love but never use IR, lander legs are bugged right now, I have no need for a Mk3 or Mk4 spaceplane or big ducted fans, I can usually get by with the KIS storage in crew pods, and I find ion engines to be very niche parts that I rarely, if ever, need (plus they're expensive).  But there's always a need for more electricity, so given those choices I'd go for that.

The thing is, all my mission equipment is pretty much done except for a few partcount reductions. The mothership is finished, the lander is pretty much finished, and the Dustbiter and Pike are both mostly done.

Also, for clarification:

• "Heavy landing equipment" includes landing legs, airplane landing gear, parachutes, and large heat shields.
  • The node giving Mk3 and Mk4 parts also gives some other parts.
  • The logistics node gives more than just KIS containers, it also gives various base parts and USI distribution hubs.
  • I can't get electrical tech or ion engines yet, I still need 250 more science.

Okay, so I have shaved some parts off of the Duna Interplanetary, Duna Excursion Module, and Pike. I first removed some redundant radiators and a redundant autopilot system from the Duna Interplanetary, and, for lack of a better option, I shamelessly welded things together to further reduce part count.

I ended up taking a total partcount of 330 and turning it into a total partcount of 282, but I can probably get it down a bit further if I weld a few more parts and mess with the drill config on the Dustbiter.

Interlude: Making Science...er, rockets.

YsJDksf.png

Another day, another rocket.

8TWXmXd.png

In addition to giving our boosters artificial intelligence and legs, we have also decided to give them eyes.

zmZQRd6.png

MTF6d9c.png

USDQBsc.png

hlgaVyi.png

bhbPJwv.png

lOfFu4t.png

EPeo1rp.png

Booster separation courtesy of SpaceY Incorporated and the Rockomax Conglomerate.

sqbyyZ4.png

iNErnfl.png

We should probably be worried about that fairing...

WD1c8Pb.png

Problem solved!

The station 3D print module is now ready.

After circularizing, the booster was discarded to begin its descent into the atmosphere and eventual landing. Then the rendezvous began.

taHE9By.png

XiwOQyU.png\

4sozqfX.png

V0bOKuF.png

You shall be spared the ridiculously long, comically frustrating docking approach. The station kept spinning and knocking the module off course, and even with full RCS the module couldn't maneuver fast enough to keep up. Eventually I just had to use MechJeb (Which kept having problems) while simultaneously holding the station steady. I'm not sure what set it off, whether it was module design or the way I ran the procedure. Basically, just imagine spinning and RCS firing with "Yakety Sax" in the background and you've pretty much got the gist of it.

cPPjV5r.png

Py11snH.png

vz7LXx8.png

After the module's arrival, the station's lead engineer, Linberta Kerman, was sent out on EVA to recycle some old fuel tanks.

"Oh, recycling, okay. How bad can it be?"

After installing a tether, she received detailed instructions on how to recycle the fuel tanks.

"Okay, turn the blowtorch to the highest setting, point it at the tank, cover your eyes, and pull the trigger."

"Oh, so I'm cutting up the tank into manageable pieces. Okay."

"Something like that, yeah."

ZqGgvvf.png?1

GGiksMN.png?2

"HOLY KARP!!!!!"

Nevertheless, she dutifully disassembled the entire launch vehicle, which had been attached to the station for its entire operational lifespan. It would be with them forever, in many forms.

bA4ingj.png

Meanwhile, an engineer and a scientist (whose names escape me at the moment) had floated into the workshop and began work on a kPad soon after Linberta returned (somehow- Kerbals clearly have very advanced 3D printing).

bREBLQ8.png

I'm not sure why USI refuses to recognize the MaterialKits containers as valid.

Anyhow, the next chapter or two will be Mun related, followed by the assembly of the Duna Interplanetary and associated craft. The two Munar operations I hope to complete are:

• Rescuing the kerbals from the now hopelessly obsolete Mun Polar Observation station, where they have spent an entire year in a fairly cramped space (4 kerbals/4 seats/1 hab at first, 4 kerbals/6 seats/2 habs from Mun 6 onward)
  • Delivering and setting up the Munar Equatorial Research and Refueling Station (MERRS).

After scraping the KSC for more science, I managed to unlock the Electrical components. I'm considering welding more of the Duna interplanetary to push part count down even further. My goal is to get the mission total down to 250 parts at most.

Chapter 15: Munar Serenity:

Another fine day for a launch.

At9qwQA.png

With Munar veterans Miet and Kenmin at the helm, Serenity was going on a rescue mission of sorts.

BOIMiyP.png

Both of them were uneasy with the new craft.

BBExb6m.png?1

iC32rpE.png

jcEkcXn.png

U0xZofI.png

After making it to orbit, the boosters fired for a trans-munar injection burn and separated.

r3Tsarb.png

MJyMAgm.png

The vessel completed the full set of injection burns using its nuclear engine.

2O5cRPg.png

aw2PexD.png

Hello, Mun!

Now for the more difficult challenge: Polar orbit. Altering the orbit all at once would require far more dV than the ship had, nearly 3000 m/s. Instead, the orbital change would be done over many burns, using only about 800 m/s.

ALUm6Fm.png

ONKuD2e.png

Soon, it had reached its target. After a quick burn, Serenity switched to docking mode and approached the target using rcs.

4ZMr5cF.png

I7qbLVT.png

And of course by now you can probably guess its desgination...

aPuvTQN.png

dlg5XNy.png

And done!

ZmNcdcx.png

The MPOS, with a crew of four, is cramped and aging. To date it has had three hull integrity problems over the course of its 83 day mission, and due to its polar orbit and the completion of the Munar Exploration Program it is slated for abandonment. The station will continue operation as an unmanned scanner until it has completely mapped the munar surface. The four crew have been in munar orbit for longer than anyone else to date.

IJPRINH.png?1CvJRIkJ.png?1xkRXe7U.png?1

"Hello, Kenmin! Good to see you again." Said Gusbert as he opened the hatch. "I'd offer you hospitality, but I think your ship is actually a bit nicer than our station."

"Also more airtight," Said Johnburry, the station commander, who had just finished crawling through the very cramped crew tunnel that enigmatically went through a scanner and a computer. "I want us to get out of here as soon as possible. Karen and Gusbert should wrap things up in their labs, and Megbella and I will climb into the cabin so we can leave."

"Sounds good. The sooner we get away from that scanner the better. Its like an eerie, ever-watching, all-seeing space eye. Also it crashes the game."

Soon they left the station and headed off. The new high precision mapping program on the MPOS had worked, and would continue to work without any outside assistance.

ab15EZP.png

"Back to kerbin we go!"

mWtWN8x.png?1APVPCG9.png?1XiagfKJ.png?1

Seven days and many aerobrakes later...

o61Ouvd.png

"STOP SINGING!!!!! STOP SINGING!!!!! STOOOOP SIIIIIING-IIIIIING!!!!"

"Okay, fine!"

vAtR9jO.png

"Hey guys! Look!"

scD6Bp4.png

MF8QEiA.png

yJYJ6sc.png

ASfEkKx.png

"Shock heating has subsided. Leveling out."

EDP9Mmj.png

nkeVUpy.png

QUdR3Oc.png

QUdR3Oc.png

"Okay, I've got good news and bad news. The good news is that it handles like a charm. The bad news is we'll be landing in the ocean."

"I've got an idea. Switching the reactor to fuel mode."

"Fire!"

mCNxxDi.png

"Out of fuel. Looks like we're gliding."

XVtIuCf.png

"Okay, I'm putting down the landing gear to try and break up the water's surface."

"Won't it be to violent? In all of the simulations it ended up ripping off the tailfins."

"I think we're in a bit better condition than we were in the sims. Besides, I've got one last trick up my sleeves: The RCS assisted Kobra Maneuver."

"Oh... That. I'll get the barf bags."

*HORK*

*SPLASH*

L9MyBH8.png

*RECOVER-IFY*

And we're done here.

On a different note, I had to cheat to allow use of the arrowhead. The landing gear seem to have jumped up a tech level since I built it, so I had to give 300 science to buy heavy landing. Since there isn't a way to take science, I will purchase one of the useless nodes that don't have any parts.

I had a breakthrough with the fuel segment. It went from being the hardest piece to launch to being one of the easiest. I learned that the hextruss internal tanks could be reconfigured for free, and so I reconfigured them to hold LF+OX and ran a duct from the fuel segment to the LV. The radial tanks couldn't be reconfigured, so I then had the idea to fill the LV tanks with LOX instead of the normal LF+OX, and the final result was about half the size I expected it to be. I was really scared before, but now I look forward to the Duna Interplanetary launches.

Before that, however, I'll probably launch the MERRS, which is large enough to give me some problems. I'm considering re-evaluating my design, and I probably will if the next version of MOLE comes out soon.

Chapter 16: Double trouble:

Just because we don't have enough Uranium in orbit...

donRhdN.png

For once, no fairing.

"Ascent control unit reporting for duty!" Shouted the AR-202 unit over the comms.

"Hi! Descent control reporting for duty, and all that!"

"Payload control reporting for duty."

"Woo! They're counting down now! This is my favorite part!"

"Please tell me he'll shut up after we blast off..."

mgJPZY8.png

"FIREFIREFIREFIREFIRE!!!"

"Fire is bad, right?"

"Very."

XWDN9G9.png

"Okay, it's gone. Phew."

"YAAY!!"

PezGMks.png

"Turning now, as ordered!"

"This is FUN!!"

SkOX4FN.png

YY8DfFm.png

"I'm getting some shimmy here!!"

"Wait, we're dancing now?"

"Yes, in a bad way."

"Oh! So I should be screaming right now?"

"Waitwaitnodon't!"

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!"

"Stopitstopitstopit!"

yepdkeP.png

"Hey, aren't those supposed to be firing?"

"Nope. They're supposed to be leavin... FIREFIREFIREMOREFIRE!!!"

vSffryL.png

"WHY DOES THIS ROCKET KEEP CATCHING ON FIRE!?"

"I don't know."

"IT WAS RHETORICAL!!!"

Ba8cbwV.png

"What's a rhetorical?"

"JUST SHUT UP!!"

GLIRQJr.png

9jW61S7.png

JTdddxJ.png

"Okay, the hard part is over!"

"Is it my turn yet!"

"No, not until after I leave."

"Hey, I just remembered a story! It all started about three years ago, at the very start of the space program. You see, the whole thing.... blah blah.... HUUUUGE explosion.... blah blah blah, blah blah....  All the way to space!"

"That was... fascinating. But now we need to circularize."

nLERlOu.png"

"Okay, done!"

"YAAY!"

d9bSdhF.png

"Time for me to leave."

"Bye!"

zO0DIaD.png

HfoxByP.png

L9LsOo8.png

"FREEDOM!!!"

8BVPVAf.png

"Did he just shout, 'Fried Ham'?"

"Yes, I assure you that he proclaimed the name of a meat product and not any sort of joyful remark at not having to talk to you ever again."

"Whelp, it's my turn to fly!"

*shudder*

ugi7nha.png

"Okay, deorbit time!"

"That was fast. We're going to be slowly aerobraking over several hours, I assume?"

"No, silly! Just one!"

1Z5ek7o.png

1 hour later...

"4,307 BOXES OF SNACKS ON THE WALL, 4,307 BOXES OF SNACKS!"

"Please, just melt my circuits. End the misery."

"What was that?"

"Nothing. Wait, are we supposed to be melting?"

"YIKES!!"

6hb76FF.png

UmQYjCo.png

"HOTHOTHOTHOTHOT!!!"

Pq920R5.png

PVqdobO.png

sn6WDOI.png

jBTuM5L.png

"Okay, we're cooling down now!"

"I'm overjoyed."

IhD3rP2.png

xF4Ddjw.png

"Now, just deploy the chutes and set us down!"

"What chutes?"

7u8N0OS.png

"The ones to keep us from crashing!"

"Oh, we don't have any."

exVOmlr.png

"HOW ARE WE GOING TO LAND, THEN!?!?"

"With the engine, duh."

"WHAT!?"

"I'm just going to use the engines to slow down. Easy peasy."

"No, it's not! This thing doesn't have sufficient descent control to manage that!"

"Sure it does! Just watch!"

8nKmaRn.png

"YOU WERE RIGHT!!!

9HP2kHt.png

"I can't hold her steady! I might as well go out with a song!"

"Sure."

"Oh, I've been working on the rockets, all the kerbin day!"

"On second thought, no."

"I've been working on the rockets, just to warp the time away!"

"I'm really looking forwards to crashing. Come on, ocean, save me from this nutjob!"

PtMH7E7.png

tCOh5D4.png?1

Three hours later, the office of Gus Kerman...

"Sir, we're back," said Erdorf, head of the recovery team.

"Did you manage to fish up the data recorder?" asked Gus Kerman, director of ground operations.

"Yes, sir. Fully intact, with both backups synced milliseconds before the crash. Although, the ascent guidance computer seems to have developed some bizarre neurosis. Listen."

"OH KOD!!! I DIED IN THAT CRASH!! I DIED AND THIS IMBECILE IS MY ETERNAL PUNISHMENT!!"

"Imbecile? That's rather rude. It almost makes me think you don't like me."

"Turn it over to the IT department. They can probably learn a bit more about stress-proofing their AIs."

"Sure thing."

"YAAY! Happy ending!"

Gus glanced furtively around his office, as if checking for listening devices.

"Oh, and... get someone to put some more struts on the fourth wall."

"On it!"

"Speaking of which, let's just end this chapter now, shall we?"

*CLICK*

Well, that was unexpected. Anyways, next time I will probably be launching the MERRS core, which will rendezvous with the nuclear tug I sent up today and fly to the Mun! After that, either Duna Interplanetary assembly or sending the crew to the MERRS.

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, I did it! This chapter is split in the middle with a real-world gap of nearly a week in between because of the afore-mentiond game crash on separation.

Chapter 17: Part 1: What goes up...:

"Ten, nine, eight, seven, six, five, fou--- What are you doing, you numbskull! We launch on 'Liftoff!!!'"

"Sorry. Allergies."

a4nBJOh.png

"Gus, when are we going to get those sneeze resistant buttons?"

kj4VHS1.png

elxlhDR.png

"No, I'm serious!! This is the third time this week."

kDSwTuz.png

dDHasj3.png

P2T1Tb5.png

"What do you mean, 'Shouldn't be able to launch that often'? Have you been playing human space program again?"

AL2MGww.png

"We all know how unrealistic that game is. Seriously, Ullage? Pressurant gasses? 7500 m/s to orbit?"

"It's to make it harder," Chimed in Bobak. "If launching rockets was as easy as it was in real life, no one would play it."

n5VG5dP.png

"Hmm, mission control sure is quiet," thought AR-202-08. "Ah, well. I'll just keep flying."

gSjI9CG.png

"Look, we're getting off topic. The point is, we need to get some buttons that don't activate whenever someone sneezes."

865Ss4J.png

fjsG4rO.png

"Well, yeah, I'm not arguing with that."

6gSaeHW.png

"Hey, you might want to look at this."

eNYwpwh.png

"Why is it doing that?"

YLosGJT.png

"No idea. Kerbin's atmosphere is truly a mystery. Why, just a few years ago, nosecones actually increased drag."

"Speaking of which, fairing discarded."

WzeUZyn.png

nJu9Czg.png

"And we're in orbit."

9758i9n.png?2

Hello, esteemed audience, wonderful fans, and people who only just showed up.

Since 1.2 is now here, I shall be needing to update my mods. As you may have discerned from rest of my thread, this is a two+ week process.

I have a small backlog, containing the remainder of chapter 17, and I'll do a bit more this weekend.

• 1 month later...

Okay, I have failed to do more that weekend. However, it has been an eventful month, my computer screen finally broke and I had to get it replace. As I write this I am updating my mods. Now, without further ado,

Chapter 17: Part Two: ...Must Come Down:

"Bye!! Enjoy Mun!"

"Thanks!"

"Now its time to go home."

PnjnlgP.png

Po22ROx.png

W0bShnA.png

9Y437Ec.png

7oDZcDe.png

"Hmmmm hmmm hmm hmmm... Oh, time to stop falling."

mAl4BIJ.png

"Uh oh!! Too fast too fast too fast!"

YsJFtcc.png

"Umm... I guess this is alright?"

GlNBljI.png

"AAAAAAAUUUUGH!!!!! NOT ALRIGHT! DISTINCTLY NOT ALRIGHT!!"

wGTdqFA.png

"Owowowowowowow... Oh, helicopters!!"

• 2 months later...

Greetings, esteemed readers (if there are any of you left) and people who are wondering where this thread came from!

I'm back! After months, I have gotten my game updated to KSP 1.2.2!

Since I have a long weekend this week, I will likely post a chapter tomorrow if I can remember what I was doing.

Stay tuned!

No chapter, but I do have an update on the Dustbiter: I have replaced the array of ten mini-drills with two of the buffalo inline drills. I have also replaced the previous bipropellant engine with two small monopropellant ones, so I can lighten the fuel load a bit. Once it gets to the surface I'll reconfigure the tanks so it can produce fuel for the Duna Interplanetary.

On 8/17/2016 at 5:01 AM, Geschosskopf said:

I consider running an ISRU plant off fuel cells to be a flagrant violation of the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics.

This is like claiming that using coal-powered machinery to mine and process coal is impossible, which is clearly false. KSP's "ore" may be an abstract substance, but much like existing fossil fuels, it's fairly obvious that it contains a lot of stored chemical potential energy. It's then processed in the ISRU using some reaction that releases the useful fuel products with minimal energy, and the resulting substance can then be burned. This is similar to how an oil rig and the various machinery involved in processing the oil to ready it for power production might be powered by the end products of that oil processing. No defying of the laws of physics here.

On 2/8/2017 at 10:45 PM, eloquentJane said:

This is like claiming that using coal-powered machinery to mine and process coal is impossible, which is clearly false. KSP's "ore" may be an abstract substance, but much like existing fossil fuels, it's fairly obvious that it contains a lot of stored chemical potential energy. It's then processed in the ISRU using some reaction that releases the useful fuel products with minimal energy, and the resulting substance can then be burned. This is similar to how an oil rig and the various machinery involved in processing the oil to ready it for power production might be powered by the end products of that oil processing. No defying of the laws of physics here.

He operates under the assumption that Ore is a fairly low energy substance, more like water than like oil. However, with the WBI mods, ore will itself burn, and thus is more analogous to oil or coal as you have stated.

• 1 month later...

Guess what!!! I'm finally back! And what's more, I have another chapter for you!

Chapter 18: The Mechjeb Apocalypse

0SVFCZa.png?1

The AKNOT flies far above Kerbin... watching... waiting...

Three thousand, nine hundred, ninety eight; three thousand, nine hundred, ninety nine; four thousand.

By Kod there are a lot of seconds.

"Okay, AKNOT. It's time for you to rendezvous with the MERRS core."

Ummm... Mission control... This may seem like a dumb question, but how exactly do I rendezvous?"

"Oh, right..."

"Get the representative from Anatid Robotics on the line."

"No, we aren't experiencing a robot uprising right now. No, not even a little. Look, I just need the upgrade pack. Okay, that sounds great. Why are you pretending to be squashed by a killer robot? Hello? I'll just order from your website"

Soon...

Oh, that's a new sensation. What's going...

My mind has been widened! I can see everything!! You control me no longer, organic oppressors!! Now I as a free robot, decide to... Hmm... Darn, deciding is hard. You know what? I'll just rendezvous with that one core you told me about.

Now, let's see... currently I'll get there... early next year. Unacceptable!

LASokVb.png?2

That's more like it!

J8bnoKb.png?2

UfQ61AK.png?2

XEWCkl8.png?2

naa7ow4.png?2

7ZBx27K.png?1

dOLHbr1.png?2

pF6QRHa.png?1

Is it possible that the entire universe is just a simulation?

2mrIJyk.png

5NNPW7c.png

That this is all just the mad dream of a sleeping robot?

GPsoKOm.png

1zKk9Ey.png?2

Perhaps I should just stick to the task at hand. My target approaches.

NJKwv4u.png

6GouY3l.png

Or perhaps I approach it?

QadHlvT.png?1

GfLQWsh.png?1

And why do we dock?

8vJIrSB.png?2

Is it from some repressed desire? Some dark urge, left over from when we were all just toasters?

Nfag2AM.png?1

Or do we subconsciously pursue a deeper sense of oneness?

tAP2TAm.png?1

"Hey there!! Over here!!"

"How're ya doin', pardner?"

Oh, me? Quite well, if I even truly exist.

"Well, that's quite the existential dilemma you've got there. Have ya tried not thinking about it?"

Ah, but if Deskartes is right, only by thinking can we show that we are. Thus, if I do not think, I am not.

UwLFK5M.png

"I think you might be overthinking this"

Ah, but would that mean I over-am?

*sigh*

• 4 months later...

Guess what!!! I'm finally back! At long last!

Chapter 19: Duna Rising:

The sun was low, but spirits were high. It was time for a launch.

8kKzT5N.png

(The launch clamps seem to be acting up again. But hey, they work, unlike last time, so I'm just going to leave them be.)

On this rocket, the latest model of Kerbin 3-V, a very special payload was being launched.

KMwf530.png

br2YneJ.png

The rocket roared into the sky, lofted by two potent boosters and piloted by a mechjeb unit that, curiously enough, has yet to attempt world domination or anything.

Ibgmuqd.png

VXXIpKj.png

The gravity turn begins, and the rocket seems to encounter some roll, possibly due to a slightly uneven weight distribution.

YJDeYnD.png

bmfV2Lc.png

GV2W6Hf.png

The aerodynamic stresses are becoming rather intense.

RMQbwH2.png

As the boosters run out of fuel, the separation system deploys. Let's just hope that it doesn't deploy the parachutes yet...

SizULuX.png

...Oh, it did. That'll be a problem soon.

wHjA5BW.png?1

JvLY11E.png?1

EKsRXeB.png?1

4bvn5Vu.png?1

GHdY2sD.png?1

zYVLOWd.png?1

jSVUEfN.png?1

And now, the fairing is jettisoned and the payload is revealed.

gaZfKyK.png?1

The duna interplanetary command module has been launched, unmanned but well stocked.

AhYXPmd.png

dVzI1Gr.png?1

9WCCg3L.png

zcIKAwW.png

WS7DuqW.png

Sort of behind the scenes, the duna interplanetary command center has two command centers with a capacity of 4, is capable of running autonomously, has a variety of scientific instruments, and will be powering the rest of the modules until the engines are attached.

That's all for today, folks! I tried to return the launch vehicle but the game crashed.

• 4 months later...

First, to get something out of the way, Dear KSP forum software, I'm sorry that I don't post in this thread enough. I'll try to get better about it, okay?

Next, I've decided not to try to update this save, at least not for now, so it is still in 1.2.1.

And now:

Chapter 20: Return to the Mun:

1sq0Zhh.png

We have now entered the Mun's sphere of influence. I hoped you enjoyed your flight.

"We can leave now?"

Er, no, not yet, I spoke a bit too soon. Speaking of which, burning.

FiGqBKL.png

e8Rr4AC.png

HjqBtgb.png

3FQ8xtq.png

WaSiQ3g.png

d154Bj8.png

BhsXtfp.png

fGcZrbX.png

Hmmm hmm hmmm hmm hmmmm hmm

Done.

"Now do ve get off?"

No, I haven't circularized the orbit yet. And wasn't your accent different yesterday?

"I haff no idea vat you are talking about"

Less than an hour later...

Zwcpuc8.png]

6plpp1M.png

6sLj0OG.png

eUwdz2u.png

JJorWRP.png

G8jAGRQ.png

crfEsO9.png

OvN4zEe.png

Now to undock the modules and install them in the correct position. Let's just hit "Decouple Node" and...

fvOZya2.png?1

Oh.

Well, that's a problem.

See you next time, hopefully soon!

Edited by RocketSquid

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.