For Science! (You've forgotten this existed, haven't you?)

RocketSquid

9 hours ago, RocketSquid said:

I will have an interlude/infolude tomorrow, but for now I have a question: Does anyone have the slightest idea why this is happening?

I'm not sure what's happening.  Is it walking launch clamps or the launchpad collapsing under the weight of the MOLE?  Looks pretty bad either way.

It looks like whatever's happening affects both stock and mod parts so it might be something wrong with the launchpad itself.  Is there any debris wedged under it?

On 7/17/2016 at 8:03 AM, Geschosskopf said:

I'm not sure what's happening.  Is it walking launch clamps or the launchpad collapsing under the weight of the MOLE?  Looks pretty bad either way.

It looks like whatever's happening affects both stock and mod parts so it might be something wrong with the launchpad itself.  Is there any debris wedged under it?

No, I tested in a brand new save. The MOLE was having another problem, which was that it and one of the other parts seemed to spontaneously clip under their own weight. The launch clamp thing seems to be from a error in an MM patch that has disabled the actual launch clamp module.

On 7/18/2016 at 11:09 PM, LordOfMinecraft99 said:

Can i have a mod list?

thanks

Spoiler
Spoiler

This is why my game is so buggy.

Ablator tank

Animated Decouplers

Ares Exploration

Asteroid Day

Atomic Age

CactEye

CRP

CTT

Contract Configurator

CryoEngines

Phoenix MAV

CustomBarnKit

Vertical Velocity control

Distant Object enhancement

DMagic

Firespitter

FusTek

GingerCorp hubs

HabitatPack

HeatManagement

HGR

IFS

KAS

KAX

KER

Kerbal Foundries

Hyperedit

KerbalTubes

Kerbal Atomics

Ballutes

Kip Eng. Docking ports

KIS

kOS

Kustom Kerbals

LayeredAnimations

LET

Robotics

Mk IV

Mk2 Essentials

Mk2 Expansion

MRS

NFConstruction

NFElectrical

NFPropulsion

NFSolar

NFSpacecraft

OctoSat

OPT

PlanetaryBase

PortraitStats

QuantumStruts

QuizTech

RATpack

RLA stockalike

Taurus

SDHI

SETI greenhouse

StationPartsExpansion

Strategia

SurfaceLights

Taerobee

TakeCommand

TCA

KAC

Tundra Industries

TweakableEverything

Tweakscale

Ubio welding

USI (All except for LS)

Universal Storage

Waypoint Manager

WBI tools

Buffalo

MOLE

Pathfinder

DSEV

OSE Workshop

ModuleManager

RealChutes

MechJeb

DPAI

SpaceY

Edited by RocketSquid

Good news: I have eliminated the clipping problem, and have replaced the problem with MOLE with a problem with DSEV. Still no news on the launch clamps, I'm considering making a patch that will run after all of the others and replace the botched Launch Clamp with a working one.

10 minutes ago, RocketSquid said:

Good news: I have eliminated the clipping problem, and have replaced the problem with MOLE with a problem with DSEV. Still no news on the launch clamps, I'm considering making a patch that will run after all of the others and replace the botched Launch Clamp with a working one.

I"m afraid something I said has caused @Angel-125 to do more work updating his mods than he was expecting.  Sorry....  But on the plus side, on the other side the "Manage Operations" window should no longer be click-through.

2 hours ago, RocketSquid said:

All that's left is the DSEV/MOLE mutual exclusivity.

Hmm, that's never been a problem for me as they both come from the same source.  Be sure you've got the latest versions of each.  There have been multiple updates of all Wild Blue mods in the last 24 hours and more to come.

11 hours ago, RocketSquid said:

The derp continues. It turns out that the issue with DSEV is not connected to WBT, but comes from DSEVUtils and is likely due to an incompatible mod.

I use DSEV extensively so would like to know.....  Which mod is incompatible?

Arrowhead program information:

The Arrowhead I returning the Minmus crew is one of seven reusable spacecraft (which means nothing more than that only seven of them can be in-flight at once). Four of those are crew, three are cargo. All of them will be named after fictional spacecraft. The one in space is Enterprise. The others are Discovery, Serenity, Hermes (crew), Intrepid, Endurance, and Eagle 5 (cargo). Update coming either tomorrow or next Sunday. 

Chapter 13: Look Out Below:

After partially restoring the Minmus Mariner's autopilot-turned-koffeemaker to its previous state (It was actually still a koffeemaker, but honestly the line between making koffee and flying a rocket has always been a blurred one), the crew was ready to set out.

So they did.

bFBN1ac.png

Bye bye, koffemaker!

All was well, for everyone except Gusler.

"Why won't this computer just show me a NORMAL ZARKING NAVSCREEN!?!?"

t05VLmJ.png

"I guess I'll just need to use the analog one."

950s8UI.png

"This is your kaptain speaking. We will now fire the engine, so sit down!!"

Jse8Byp.png

"Are we done yet? I have to use the bathroom!"

"No, Bob, we aren't!!"

"I guess I can just climb down there."

ivOVtvl.png

"Burn *CRASH* Complete!"

"OW!"

Later, at the periapsis:

hu3fH9F.png

ztEEQ5N.png

"Preparing for burn!"

"Okay, just let me use the bath-"

"Preparation complete!!"

*KLUNK*

AkynCOj.png

2pGvOnn.png

Once the adjustment was complete, Gusler eyed the fuel gauge with annoyance before making an announcement.

"We're running low on fuel, so we'll need to aerobreak... er... brake."

When they reached the apoapsis, Gusler aimed the craft retrograde and burned for a periapsis of 65 KM.

fa9bPpS.png

I will skip the minutiae, but seven passes through the upper atmosphere later they were finally ready to reenter for real.

IZDAa7N.png

Everyone was excited to get out of these seats!!!

rTS5M6G.png?1skSyOIT.png?174N48zs.png?1

Miraculously enough, Bob was too!

6l7WgkJ.png

Things were heating up!!

m7cNPqM.png

n1Z8x7U.png

9BJGVFn.png

A lot!!

p9oZj8y.png

Eventually the flame of reentry faded away, leaving the plane shrouded in darkness.

yI66Blv.png

NZ59rtB.png

The landing would happen at night... As is only proper.

xg4XJut.png

Gusler pulled the lever and extended the gear. He wasn't having much of a problem with the ship as all he really needed to do was keep it pointing forward.

5M7RtGF.png

qfAefCn.png

The ground was approaching rather slowly.

Gp8WLQ4.png?1kI5k2LX.png?1mqMbtu6.png?1

The crew was mostly happy. Gusler was worried that the terrain wouldn't be flat enough.

LQcSzDE.png

0cluq85.png

Fortunately, the terrain was, in fact, flat enough.

o0QuK9Z.png

Gusler got out and planted a flag.

bafUQ0q.png?1

One of the recovery crew took a picture, not knowing that it would be featured on every major magazine on Kerbin within weeks.

oaHzFUW.png

After they pulled up a ladder, Gusler, Asta, and the triumphant Minmus crew boarded the recovery helicopter with loads of science.

xcqaBaS.png

3.5 Karptons, to be precise.

zU9jLvo.png?1

Wernher felt a wash of emotions best described by this string of emoticons:

:0.0::cool::):0.0::)

They decided to use this data to research advanced computer systems and durable structural components while the Arrowhead shuttle Enterprise began its flight home.

njeGhsp.png

nblIkV7.png

In other news, I have a better flag now:

BO88rSw.png

Edited by RocketSquid

I finished the renovations on the Duna Interplanetary and Dustbiter and made a Duna base thing.

You can see the album here!

I want to give a special thanks to @Angel-125 and @Geschosskopf for helping me through my own self-induced mod problems.

This will be the last post for a week, since I'm going to space camp and am not allowed to bring my laptop. When I get back expect at least one update fueled by the long car ride.

15 hours ago, RocketSquid said:

I finished the renovations on the Duna Interplanetary and Dustbiter and made a Duna base thing.

Hehehe, it's always a puzzle figuring out how to do that sort of thing.  I had some similar things in my NH came.

Question....  Wny not use the Pathfinder Hacienda Claim Jumper instead of all the small drills?  First, it has a much better extraction rate.  Second, it's only 1 part instead of lots.

Also, you do know that solar panels on Duna only provide about 40-50% the power they do on Kerbin, right?  So it takes several Gigantors to make enough juice for industrial applications.

As an alternative, why not use the Pathfinder Hacienda Hot Springs geothermal planet?  If you put it on a good GeoEnergy place (which you can find with SCANsat), it will provide good juice even in the dark.  The main drawback (other than the need for GeoEnergy in the same location as Ore) is that you have to ship it out with a water tank because it requires a few hundred Water in it before you can turn it on, and until you can turn it on, you don't have the power to run drills.

3 hours ago, Geschosskopf said:

Hehehe, it's always a puzzle figuring out how to do that sort of thing.  I had some similar things in my NH came.

Question....  Wny not use the Pathfinder Hacienda Claim Jumper instead of all the small drills?  First, it has a much better extraction rate.  Second, it's only 1 part instead of lots.

Also, you do know that solar panels on Duna only provide about 40-50% the power they do on Kerbin, right?  So it takes several Gigantors to make enough juice for industrial applications.

As an alternative, why not use the Pathfinder Hacienda Hot Springs geothermal planet?  If you put it on a good GeoEnergy place (which you can find with SCANsat), it will provide good juice even in the dark.  The main drawback (other than the need for GeoEnergy in the same location as Ore) is that you have to ship it out with a water tank because it requires a few hundred Water in it before you can turn it on, and until you can turn it on, you don't have the power to run drills.

Two words: Unmanned Lander

The Dustbiter will probably have fuel cells, or a FlexPower pack if I can scrape up the science. If tests show it nessecary I will add a small nuclear reactor, but I would prefer not to (they're heavy).

I have considered mounting the larger stock drills diagonally.

Edited by RocketSquid

Chapter 14: Return of the Booster:

"Hello, my old friend!" Shouted Director Kermanov "You are enjoying the engines we sent, Da?"

"Indeed," Said Gene. "Speaking of engines..."

"Booster?"

"Check"

"Guidance?"

"Check"

"Power?"

"Check"

"Nuclear?"

"Safe mode, check."

"Discipline?"

"Check," Said the rather intimidating software engineer in the back of the room.

"Discipline?" Said Director Kermanov. "But... Rocket is unmanned, Da?"

"I'll explain later. Would you like to do the honors?"

"Da! дeсять! девять!" 

After some perplexed looks he continued with, "Eight! Seven! Six! Five! Four!"

9XfOR9Z.png

"Three! Two!"

"One!"

aVtsEQc.png

Just after clearing the pad structure, the rocket began twisting and turning.

6MYCYrW.png

VQqkchj.png

"Who is flying that thing?"

"Jeb, but he just thinks he's playing 'Booster Simulator'"

KpDzYFz.png

Observant readers may have noticed the large, streamlined legs on the side. More observant readers may have spotted the small, boxy system on the side. That system is an advanced, barely-obsolete-at-all AR-200 "FleshJeb" unit, connected directly to the copy of booster simulator that the space agency gave Jeb for his most recent birthday.

Basically, I got tired of launching the same rocket over and over again.

Uu7vAsm.png

js3GHdM.png

"Booster separation!"

n1xWzIf.png

Jusqw0x.png

No, we have no idea why our smoke trail stops when it gets close to us.

Q6npcJQ.png

At last the fairing was shed and the Duna Unmanned Mission Package (DUMP) was visible in its full glory.

Zqc1yaX.png

YfAMg3F.png

After circularizing, the booster separated, leaving the DUMP alone.

a7rCjoN.png

The DUMP contained two modules, the DONUT and the DESP.

Propelled by four Ussari-made nuclear engines, the the Duna Orbital Nuclear Utility Tug (DONUT) was equipped as a cargo hauler and as a communication relay. It would be making the transfer burn and the eventual injection burn.

The Duna Electromagnetic Scanner Package, on the other hand, was designed to survey Duna and Ike. It was propelled by hydrazine-fueled arcjets to enable transportation between Duna and Ike and to allow the course adjustments necessary to reach a polar orbit.

Our focus today, however, is the booster.

QuT8CRB.png

It still had fuel left- more than enough to deorbit. Soon, after a deorbit burn and some aerobraking...

Kp6bWlv.png

RwRhrts.png

After decelerating a bit with its remaining fuel, the booster deployed its chutes and landed in the ocean.

9n045U8.png

KLurREh.png

Next time, something will happen!! I really don't know. I have some time to kill before I have to do ejection burns or launch the Duna Interplanetary.

Interlude-ish: Random things:

So, I did some stuff.

Pictures

First up, the Dustbiter. Following @Geschosskopf's advice on solar panel yield, I ran the calculations for the Dustbiter's energy generation and use and figured out that it had insufficient power, so I added two Gigantors. Now it has enough power to drill or refine, but not both at the same time. I am still seeking a more affordable power source, but RTGs are entirely too high up on the tech tree. I may need to edit it, since IRL RTGs are Apollo-level tech, while I'm at modern or slightly behind in most areas.

Next comes a little something I've been working on, the Silver Dart. The Silver Dart is meant as a fairly low-tech spaceplane. I was originally hoping for an SSTO, but I eventually gave in and used droptanks. It still can't quite make orbit (300 m/s short) or reach space, but I will hopefully be able to improve it a bit. In-universe, its C7's entry into what is basically the kerbal equivalent to NASA's Commercial Crew Program. I'll likely have a whole

Lastly, a bit of test hardware for the eventual eve program. While that is far away, the vehicle is fun to play with and the tests gave me just enough science to push me over that 300 mark, which means new science.

I have a number of options and a hard time choosing. So, I'm going to ask for advice: Should I buy one of the following:

• Robotics parts,
  • Heavy landing equipment,
  • Mk3 and Mk4 parts,
  • Heavy ducted fans
  • Containers and other logistics parts

Or should I save up the science so I can get ion engines or electrical systems?

1 hour ago, RocketSquid said:

First up, the Dustbiter. Following @Geschosskopf's advice on solar panel yield, I ran the calculations for the Dustbiter's energy generation and use and figured out that it had insufficient power, so I added two Gigantors. Now it has enough power to drill or refine, but not both at the same time. I am still seeking a more affordable power source, but RTGs are entirely too high up on the tech tree. I may need to edit it, since IRL RTGs are Apollo-level tech, while I'm at modern or slightly behind in most areas.

Well, the stock game gives you 3 sources of electrical power:  solar, RTGs, and fuel cells.  ISRU requires industrial quantities of EC/sec, which RTGs can't deliver unless used in excessive, very expensive quantities.  Therefore, you must use one of the others.  But because raw Ore doesn't burn in stock, I consider running an ISRU plant off fuel cells to be a flagrant violation of the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics.  Now, if you've got a mod that allows burning raw Ore, then there's no 2nd Law problem in your universe and fuel cells are a viable option.  But OTOH, solar works at Duna.  4 Gigantors will run 2 big drills and a 2.5m ISRU simultaneously on Duna's surface.  But beyond Duna, it gets hard to find space where all the Gigantors you need can all see the sun at once without shading each other, so for Dres and beyond you need something else.  Either fuel cells (with either disregard for or a workafound for the 2nd Law), or some mod-provided nuclear reactors.

Lastly, a bit of test hardware for the eventual eve program. While that is far away, the vehicle is fun to play with and the tests gave me just enough science to push me over that 300 mark, which means new science.

Nice blimp-car :)

I have a number of options and a hard time choosing. So, I'm going to ask for advice: Should I buy one of the following:

• Robotics parts,
  • Heavy landing equipment,
  • Mk3 and Mk4 parts,
  • Heavy ducted fans
  • Containers and other logistics parts

Or should I save up the science so I can get ion engines or electrical systems?

When I have to pick between various tech tree nodes, I go for the one that most helps me do the type of mission I have in mind.  IOW, I have my mission goals drive my technology, not the other way around.  Personally, I never have much use for much of the stuff you list here.  I love but never use IR, lander legs are bugged right now, I have no need for a Mk3 or Mk4 spaceplane or big ducted fans, I can usually get by with the KIS storage in crew pods, and I find ion engines to be very niche parts that I rarely, if ever, need (plus they're expensive).  But there's always a need for more electricity, so given those choices I'd go for that.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.