Stock Weaponry Challenge

Build weaponry systems in stock KSP! There will be different catogories: fighter jet, orbital weapon and ground weapons.

Fighter jets and ground weapons will get points for the following:

1. Small short range weapon: Allow mounting a lot of these on your vehicle. Try shooting rovers or planes with this from up close. 5 points for every four shots you can take to a max of 20 points.
  2. Long range unguided weapon: Not that much missiles needed. Try hitting something from a few kilometers. 10 points for one, 20 for two.
  3. Long range guided missile: Needs a probe core and batteries for the whole trip and probably some control sufaces, show it attached to the launching vehicle and fired towards a target. 15 points for one, 25 for two
  4. Jets only: A bomb without engines which falls to the target. May be guided or unguided. Drop on a target from over 500 m height. Please throw at something on the plain the KSC is on. Points are awarded depending on dropping height and accuracy with the formula  Points=(Drop height/Distance from target on hitting the ground)+25
  5. Ground weapons only: points awarded for mobility. 5 points for each 5 m/s op to 25 m/s, same for water

Orbital weapons are getting points for other things:

1. A missile to launch at the planet your orbiting. 20 points for the first 2 missiles,if able to aim so well that you can hit between KSC an fighter island you get a 2X multiplier.
  2. A missile capable of being launched to a moon of orbiting body. Must be as accurate as actually impacting. 50 points for the first 2 missiles
  3. A missile able to be fired to another planet, must be as accurate as coming in the SOI of the targeted planet. 50 points per missile per orbit inwards or outwards for the first 2 missiles. 1.5X multiplier for hitting the planet or  its moon
  4. A short range defense system. 5 points per shot for the first 10 shots, 10 extra points if you can shoot in many different directions.
  5. Have a ship which can travel trough the system. 30 points + 15 for ability to go to Duna, 15 for Jool, 10 for Eeloo

Needing to input commands to the rockets after firing will give you an 0.5 multiplier for that missile. Making a reusable craft to launch new missiles and dock the with the station/ship gives you a 1.5X multiplier for the missile. Having both of these will not give a multiplier.

Rules are subject to change

Leaderboard:

Jets:

1. No entries

Ground based weapons:

1. None eiter

Orbital weapons:

1. ihtoit: 210 points
Edited by superstrijder15

Oldie but a goodie... one of my .24 adventures where I had a HUUUGE station with fully replenishable unguided missiles on a spaceplane. The station it's docked to has parts for restocking the missile rails, in crates on the lower pylon. The potential is also there for adding a guidance system (via a small probe core, reaction wheel and an RTG)

The plane has a Luvodicus Super Atomic motor and dV potential with the station to get anywhere in the Kerbol system and drop or fire missiles at ANY target.

The station has a Luvodicus Poseidons Revenge docked below the crate pod (not seen here). For practical purposes, the range is infinite.

1796818_416080328527970_1777530206_o.jpg

10 hours ago, superstrijder15 said:

Do you have pictures of the missiles themselves, and maybe of the firing? By the way, I really like the donut shape!

there are four mounted on each wing :) The basic missile is just a stack separator, ant motor, and the diddy little fuel tank. Probe core would consist of the Stayputnik or Qube sitting on a small reaction wheel or a Firespitter planton stabiliser (I actually used the planton in the guided model since it's physicsless) with a stock RTG clipping up through the middle of it. More complex missiles would use four Seperatrons mounted equiradially with the fuel tank as explosive payload, and a nosecone over the Qube or the Stayputnik would serve as well as an airpunch. For added complication, a MechJeb and fins! Part count was getting ridiculous by that point (like the missiles as seen weren't complex enough, they pushed the part count just for the plane to over 100!).

Some of the semi-smart missiles going through ballistic testing: rail mounting -

10261994_437310043071665_638597161146054

Firing -

10308195_437310003071669_331670158503719

They do eventually separate and go off on their own tracks (yes, that is 18 missiles flying formation on their own there), linear spread is about 200m, angular spread about 3km. I did build a very large ship with about fifty such rails (of 6 missiles each rail) but that was an absolute BEAST of close on 1800 parts! No images that I can locate of that one, I'm afraid. If I find one I'll chuck it up.

That particular station went up in two launches. The donut and upper pylon went up first, the lower pylon with the power plant afterward. That also carried auxilliary solar plant and ladders as well as batteries. The engine pod followed, that was later retasked for the Spinaret (another station) to move it to Munar orbit then back to Kerbin orbit to move Ragnar (about three times the size of this one):

996874_321133874689283_2062982844_n.jpg?

1939965_411561532313183_1676895378_n.jpg

Edited by ihtoit

9 hours ago, superstrijder15 said:

Are those missiles strong enough to deorbit themselves? If so you will get more points

yes, they are. I actually managed to drop a load from the Beast which peppered KSC. If we'd had destructible facilities back then that would have been a spectacular show.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.