[1.05] Zaywa Solar System Pack

destra9

While there are many planet packs that you can download that will give you some new places to see / explore, I intend to be different from them all by introducing some strange, exotic and/or peculiar planets. With Hyperedit and Kopernicus helping me learn how planet data is stored and used, I figured out how to do some pretty neat things, including a planet that rotates on its side! Keep in mind that this mod is still in development and it will require Kopernicus once it is released. As of right now, I don't even have a beta version ready yet, but hopefully, that should change soon. When I get my first beta version ready to release, I will link it in this post! I don't have all the names finalized yet, so suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Feedback and opinions are also greatly appreciated. As of right now, I plan on having Zaywa orbit Kerbol with a semi-major axis of roughly 8 light-years to avoid a few bugs. Here is a list of the bodies I have confirmed will be in this mod and a good description of what each one will look like:

• Zaywa-221: A blue star about twice the size of Kerbol that emits normal sunlight so players can fully appreciate the beauty of the other bodies in the solar system. One of the problems I see with blue stars emitting blue light is that they tend to make the planets darker and/or hide a lot of a planet's colors, so by having it emit the same color sunlight as Kerbol, players can see all of the colors in the Zaywa system and fully appreciate the beauty of this bizarre planet pack.

• Zarya-BBC: *Naming suggestions wanted* A tiny red dwarf star that again, emits a small amount of normal sunlight for the same reason as its big brother, but orbits Zaywa in a very close orbit to give us a binary star system, something common in our universe, but not Kerbal Space Program planet packs. Don't even think about trying to land on it. You have to worry about 2 stars to reach this little guy.

• Hade: A moonless dark gray gas planet that has a tight orbit around Zaywa. While being roughly the same size as Jool, it's far less dense due to the high temperatures. Crafts should be able to survive a high-altitude flight here as long as you have a heat shield protecting the front of your craft.

Hade

• Pike: A rocky planet with towering volcanoes, lava seas and lava lakes scattered about the surface. Touching the lava is a great way to fry your Kerbals and/or your ship. Overheating in the lava lakes WILL be incorporated in the initial release. It orbits Zaywa at about 3/4th the distance Moho does. Go to http://imgur.com/nYcBGFA to see what Pike will look like when viewed from the surface. Additional surface pics coming soon!

9DbWsJr.jpg

• Rayne: A Kerbin-sized water world with an endless ocean beneath a beautiful blue sky. It features an atmosphere with a small amount of oxygen and a lot of water vapor. It orbits Zaywa at roughly the same distance as Eve and has no landmass anywhere on the planet.

TvHDjfn.jpg

• Kepler: A green and blue gas planet in the habitable zone of the Zaywa system which has its own set of rings. Its moons are thought to contain life.

Kepler

• Sahra: A world that has vast deserts, tall mountains, ice caps and small oceans all beneath an atmosphere rich in oxygen. Small lakes and rivers are scattered about the seemingly endless desert landscape. It orbits Kepler.
  • Animu: A Kerbin-sized moon covered with grasslands and thick forests. If I can figure out how to add a rainforest, I will add one here. It orbits Kepler.
  • Mortem: A black rocky moon with a thick, smoke-like atmosphere at the edge of Kepler's SOI. The atmosphere comes from the high amount of volcanic activity.

• Bertha: A Kerbin-like world that orbits Zaywa in the same path as Kepler, but just outside of its SOI. An alien space center on Bertha is a possibility!
    • Welkin: A large moon similar to Mun, only with a rotation and a different height map.

• Galleon: A large terrestrial planet that has rings, an oxygenless atmosphere and a few moons... All in a polar orbit! Galleon also rotates on its side, similar to how Uranus from our own solar system does. The dark side is a large ice-covered flatland while the light side is mountainous and rocky.

t3ANTKN.jpg?1

• Planck: A bluish rocky moon that orbits just outside of Galleon's rings.
  • Kyde: A moon with vast oceans and mountain peaks dividing these oceans into 7 seas.

• Zomg: A gas planet so large, its mass rivals that of a brown dwarf and makes Jool look tiny by comparison. Unlike most gas giants, Zomg has an ocean caused by the immense heat and pressure of the atmosphere. Its thick atmosphere and high gravity will make it very hard to escape once aerocaptured, so expect your missions here to be suicide missions as your vessel will most likely vaporize long before seeing that ocean.

KSP Zaywa System Pack: Zomg

• Woh: A gas giant about half the size of Jool that orbits Zomg. It doesn't have an ocean on its surface unlike its parent Zomg.
    • Hyperion: A Dres-sized rocky moon in orbit around Woh. It can be a bit tricky to encounter thanks to its moon.
      • Dingus: A large moon placed in the perfect position to screw with missions to Hyperion. Unlike most bodies, this one's sole purpose is to screw with missions to Hyperion thanks to its ANTI-Gravity field.
    • Sur: A boring asteroid-like moon in orbit around Woh in a mostly Geostationary orbit.
  • Ched: A Moho-sized rocky, yellow moon with enormous craters, mountain ranges and vast canyons beneath a thick, yellowish atmosphere. Might make an integration for Environmental Visual Enhancements that adds a few layers of yellow clouds that hide the surface.
    • Swish: A greenish-yellow rocky moon that has many craters on its surface.
  • Glace: An icy moon in a highly eccentric orbit with a high inclination around Zomg. The description will mention the possibility of a warm ocean beneath its icy surface.
  • Herb: A dark green rocky moon with a surface covered with large craters.
  • Kierra: A mountainous moon with a few peaks that rise above a thin atmosphere.
  • Kyro: An oblong rocky moon with a highly eccentric, but flat orbit that makes a complete rotation approximately once every 30 minutes. Landing on the equator will be difficult, but not impossible.

• Borag: An ice/snow-covered planet that features cyan-colored lakes and volcanoes that spit out ice instead of magma. It also features a very thin atmosphere.

5wSQYja.jpg

• Hiemal: An ice-covered asteroid-like moon in a distant orbit around Borag.

• Planet X: For you guys to find out once the Zaywa Pack is released. Planet X is completely unlike anything Kerbals have ever seen before...

Special thanks to @ProtoJeb21 for letting me use his planet pack's configs as a base so I could see how Kopericus works and understand how to begin making my own planet pack.

Be sure to let me know what you think of my planet ideas thus far and do tell me how I can improve upon the Zaywa system in the coming future. Thanks for taking the time to read this absurdly long post.

Edited by destra9
Added a picture of Galleon

In case anyone's interested, I found a lot of real exoplanets that are similar to the posted planets. @destra9 did you base your planets off of any of these exoplanets?

• Hade: TrES-2 b
  • Pike: CoRoT-7 b
  • Rayn: Gliese 1214 b
  • Kepler: Kepler-453 ABb
  • Sahra: Kepler-452 b
  • Animu: KOI-433.02 m
  • Bertha: Kepler-296 e
  • Galleon: Gliese-581 d?
  • Zomg: CT Chamaeleontis b
  • Borag: OGLE-2005-BLG-390Lb
Edited by ProtoJeb21
Forgot Sahra

@destra9 To help you out, I created possible planet designs for Animu, Hade, Kepler, Mortem, Pike, and Rayn with GIMP. I also added a few extra features to make them even more amazing!

The planets are in alphabetical order. Here's the list of subtle changes:

• ANIMU has equatorial deserts. Also, its north polar cap is tilted towards the viewer in its image.
  • HADE has a giant, orange storm on the side facing Zaywa-1. There are also some cloud belts tha wrap around the storm.
  • MORTEM has several large craters. Most of them have cooled into volcanic rocks, but some are still filled with lava! Also, the entire surface (except for the lava and craters) is a black-red color.
  • PIKE has some volcanoes erupting in its lava seas.
  • RAYN has a few volcanic islands near its equator because of the heat similar to that on Eve and its extreme geologic activity.

Idea!

Karlo: a sort of black sphere far, far away from the system, barely touching the sphere of influence for Zaywa. however its not actually a black sphere, its a black hole! gravity at its surface is so high that you cant escape at the speed of light! it is around 20km in diameter

Putas: a small moon, about 400km in diameter, it is oblong due to the extreme gravity influence of karlo, it is also a ice moon. and it has no atmosphere (due to it being ripped off by karlo).

On 7/2/2016 at 1:27 AM, destra9 said:

Kepler: A green and blue gas planet in the habitable zone of the Zaywa system which has its own set of rings. Its moons are thought to contain life.

Kepler

Hi, your planets looks very promising :) I'm looking forward on a release.

I was just wondering, would this be possible in real life ? I mean having a gas giant so close of a star without ' burning ' ?  My question may be naive but I'm really curious about that :D

( Oh and I love the name of your star, reminds me of " Zarya " maybe an idea for the second star ? :P )

Edited by spacecookie

6 hours ago, Iago said:

I've been looking for a planet pack like this one! Also,

Challenge accepted

I'd recommend trying the oceans of Pike and Zomg first. :P

6 hours ago, NotAgain said:

Will there be any land at all on Rayne?

Nope. Thankfully, there is an atmosphere to slow your decent.

8 hours ago, spacecookie said:

Hi, your planets looks very promising :) I'm looking forward on a release.

I was just wondering, would this be possible in real life ? I mean having a gas giant so close of a star without ' burning ' ?  My question may be naive but I'm really curious about that :D

( Oh and I love the name of your star, reminds me of " Zarya " maybe an idea for the second star ? :P )

On ‎2‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 3:06 PM, ProtoJeb21 said:

Kepler is my favorite looking planet in the system so far. Great texturing!

Thank you for the compliments! And @spacecookie, Hade is what's referred to as a puffy planet. (yes, that is an actual scientific term) They're actually a very common phenomenon in the known universe. In fact, most of the exoplanets that we've found are puffy planets. There is one on record that orbits so close to its parent star that it is being ripped apart so fast that it is shaped like an egg. It also makes a complete orbit once every 24 hours or so.

After a lot of hard work, I am pleased with the way Pike and Rayn turned out! I have pictures of these 2 planets so you guys can continue following the development of this planet pack! After all the planets are finished, I'll begin work on the moons, and then after that, I'll work on Zaywa and Zaywa-2. Upon completion, you will be able to see and visit all 29 bodies in the Zaywa System Pack!

Edited by destra9

I have an idea for a moon of Galleon. It's called Kyde (a reference to Captain Kidd) and has a radius of about 350 kilometers. What makes Kyde special is that it has a thick atmosphere like Titan, but is nearly entirely covered in water. However, a band of high mountains (2-5 km high) separates the ocean into seven seas! The oceans could have a subtle greenish color to them (like the oceans of some planets in Space Engine). How's THAT for a pirate-themed moon? :D:wink:

Edited by ProtoJeb21
Whoops, spelled something wrong.

9 hours ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

I have an idea for a moon of Galleon. It's called Kyde (a reference to Captain Kidd) and has a radius of about 350 kilometers. What makes Kyde special is that it has a thick atmosphere like Titan, but is nearly entirely covered in water. However, a band of high mountains (2-5 km high) separates the ocean into seven seas! The oceans could have a subtle greenish color to them (like the oceans of some planets in Space Engine). How's THAT for a pirate-themed moon? :D:wink:

I like that idea! That'll put the body count in the solar system to 30. It's feasible, but I'll have to reduce the radius a bit bc Galleon isn't a whole lot larger than Kerbin. :P

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.