Mods in Stock

20 minutes ago, Temstar said:

I don't know if that bar is actually all that high.

I've come around to not wanting delta-V readouts in stock for the simple fact that it will never be as useful as KER because of KSP's silly "starved for information" paradigm and I'll just end up installing KER anyway.  Seriously, do you actually expect that you'll get a drop-down for different planets to check TWR?  I don't.  That's the kind of thing that mods do best, information overload, especially when the game company thinks you'll be overwhelmed and the game somehow needs to be "accessible".

Also, after seeing the code that iterates over a craft to determine delta-V, I don't want to have that in the main game because people can and will break it.  Frequently.  With KSP's long release time that would be very detrimental.

The HUD can do without the true altitude above terrain.

No, it can't.  It's pretty terrible that the player has to enter IVA during a potentially dangerous descent in order to find their actual altitude from the ground.  And don't tell me I can use shadows to tell how high I am when I'm on an Intel 4K GPU on Linux.  It should be a toggle-able option for the "sea level" altitude display.

Furthermore, it would be really nice to have a apo/periapsis and times to display on the main flight screen so I don't have to keep switching back and forth between flight and map view.  That is infuriating and it is vital information for a good launch, and it's probably the biggest reason why I install KER or MechJeb these days.

Edited by regex

12 hours ago, katateochi said:

There are several mods listed here that I really like and always install, but that's not the same as wanting them in stock.

I wonder if some or more of us posting here had a different interpretation of the question in the op. Some earlier answers and the thread title made me read it as what mods I like in a 'stock~ish' game. As in one where KSP isn't on Moho, Earth or other alien planets, there are no warp-drives or little imps that mine for you, etc. I definitely wouldn't think RPM should be stock.

2 hours ago, Snark said:

So that's why I don't think KER should be stock.

Hehh, totally. The fact that I'll probably always play with MJ because I love to have my transfer-window 'calculator' and automatic node placer besides my favourite readouts doesn't make me think everyone should have those at the start. The game was -really- fun when I didn't even know what those meant in the first place. Stock is fine and cool as it is, I'd add nothing that has more impact than like BetterBurnTimes.

I remember back in the day, someone told me how cool is Orbiter. I was (and mostly still is) a layman when it comes to astronautic and aircraft stuff, but I have a soft spot for cool but not-too-popular games. So I installed it, but couldn't even figure out how to launch. Checked a video to see how it's done, but after 10 minutes in, they were still telling me what I need to -know- instead of what I need to push to make things explode. I never looked back.

KSP is doing the appealing to a wider audience stuff right. Started my first game, skipped tutorials, but I instantly knew what the two numbers on screen meant, and I only had to push my biggest button to make things happen. I believe that's the secret of the game's popularity.

Edited by Evanitis

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I don't use a lot of mods, sometimes I use some to make the game look nice and I think they could be stock with no problem if everyone had good computers.

Some peoples forget that newbies happen to play ksp so it is important to keep the game simple for them, they can still instal the extra hard and realistic mods when they are good enough.

I refuse to play mods that add vital parts because I want my things to be reliable and I don't want to wait for the mods to update to play with my thing, in fact my only part mod is BDA and it is just to mess with the AI and make stuff go boom.

I also use KerbinSide a lot, nice to visit Kerbin and I think it could be stock and not change gameplay too much since apparently few peoples like rovering.

On 7.02.2016 at 1:30 AM, Choctofliatrio2.0 said:

Personally, I'd put Kerbal Alarm Clock, and something like Kerbal Engineer with a delta V readout.

Exactly these two. The rest is just extra.

Unless you want to play a career mode, which IMO is unbearable without a proper tech tree mod, science-to-cash mod and Strategia (but the last one could be a bit better IMO).

On 8.02.2016 at 6:19 AM, regex said:

I've come around to not wanting delta-V readouts in stock for the simple fact that it will never be as useful as KER because of KSP's silly "starved for information" paradigm and I'll just end up installing KER anyway.  Seriously, do you actually expect that you'll get a drop-down for different planets to check TWR?  I don't.  That's the kind of thing that mods do best, information overload, especially when the game company thinks you'll be overwhelmed and the game somehow needs to be "accessible".

That's exactly what I am afraid of. I feel like SQUAD thinks we are too dumb to use these tools, but the truth is if it wasn't for KER I wouldn't be faimiliar with so many rocketry and physics-related terms. Not because I had to learn them, but simply because I wanted to do so. Knowledge makes everything easier.

As we all move into the future, a graphics update mod wouldn't be amiss - hardware specs should generally be improving, so:

Scatterer + EVE: It just looks soo much more pretty

mSm50SO.png

TK53LQR.png

XhzLpBV.png

(that's Kerbin, from my personal modded duna sized moon/binary companion of kerbin)

(and below the view of it from Kerbin beforelaunching the Kerbal X)

jjsbu7X.png

dGXk4gf.png

kerbal engineer

Outer Planets mod (with some tweaking)

that transfer window planner one - forget what its called, an in game version of this: https://alexmoon.github.io/ksp/

Some form of electric atmospheric propulsion

and that's mostly all the mods I run aside from my personal ones which I wouldn't suggest as stock.

On 8-2-2016 at 3:50 AM, regex said:

The entirety of Realism Overhaul and RP-0.

So you want to turn KSP into NASA the game?

I would like KIS and KAS. And life support in hard difficulty mode. And maybe Ven's Stock Revamp. But no graphical changes. I need to play the game at least at 20fps. And i dont need more lag.

7 minutes ago, regex said:

Is that what you think those mods do?  Then yeah, NASA the game.

Well, without RSS i would not say it is NASA the game. But i would call it:

NASA the GAME! Toy planet Edition!

On 8.2.2016 at 6:16 AM, AlamoVampire said:

If it came down to either mechjeb or ker becoming stock, mechjeb is the superior and ONLY choice. There is nothing ker can do that mechjeb cant. The thing is mechjeb also has automation, which ker lacks. Mechjeb when it comes down to it is able to service a broader base with more function than ker. Sorry for the reality of it.

Squad has stated they don't want mechjeb like functionality like having high ranking pilots doing burns by themselves or creation of nodes for stuff like circulate. 
dV reading on the other hand is an planned feature.
I use mechjeb all the time, far more an designer and mission planner than an pilot but understand that decision. 

6 hours ago, KerikBalm said:

As we all move into the future, a graphics update mod wouldn't be amiss - hardware specs should generally be improving, so:

Scatterer + EVE: It just looks soo much more pretty

Please, no.  Or, at least, if they ever add something like that, it has to be turn-offable.

I've tried running both of those:  one at a time or together.  They're unspeakably gorgeous.  They also reduce my frame rate to unplayable crap, and I'm not playing on a potato.  It's not a serious high-end gaming rig, but it's certainly a "real computer".  I would love to have this kind of look in my games... but not if it means I can't play KSP without dropping thousands on a more powerful rig.

It's one of the reasons I like PlanetShine so much:  a lot of bang for the buck.  It's subtle but lovely, really adds to the ambience-- and does so, as far as I can tell, with pretty much no impact on performance.  (Yeah, I know, apples and oranges; it's not even in the same league as these two heavy-hitters.  But I can run it, and I can't run them, which makes the difference.)

4 hours ago, magnemoe said:

Squad has stated they don't want mechjeb like functionality like having high ranking pilots doing burns by themselves or creation of nodes for stuff like circulate. 
dV reading on the other hand is an planned feature.
I use mechjeb all the time, far more an designer and mission planner than an pilot but understand that decision. 

mechjeb is more popular than multiplayer mods, and yet they are wasting time with multiplayer when having an autopilot just makes SOO much more sense. <sigh>

7 hours ago, Snark said:

Please, no.  Or, at least, if they ever add something like that, it has to be turn-offable.

I've tried running both of those:  one at a time or together.  They're unspeakably gorgeous.  They also reduce my frame rate to unplayable crap, and I'm not playing on a potato.  It's not a serious high-end gaming rig, but it's certainly a "real computer".  I would love to have this kind of look in my games... but not if it means I can't play KSP without dropping thousands on a more powerful rig.

It's one of the reasons I like PlanetShine so much:  a lot of bang for the buck.  It's subtle but lovely, really adds to the ambience-- and does so, as far as I can tell, with pretty much no impact on performance.  (Yeah, I know, apples and oranges; it's not even in the same league as these two heavy-hitters.  But I can run it, and I can't run them, which makes the difference.)

Yes, they should certainly be togglable in the graphics settings.

On my old potato, I didn't even have ground scatter turned on. However, I think it should be stock with high graphics settings. When they show promo images, they show stock at high graphics settings - not low. They have ground scatter in some of their promo images... which wasn't what my game looked like for years. So I don't see why scatterer and EVE can't be stock either, just disabled on low graphics settings.

Stockable:

EVE + Scatterer in the graphics options, but off by default to save the potatoes and ensure the game starts well on a fresh install.

Chatterer.  There is already a voice volume slider in the configs, but what does it control?

BULB-lite.  Sliders to adjust the color of your lights; simple, unobtrusive and cosmetic fun.

Radar altimetry might be nice, squeezing it in might be trickier.  A toggle mode for the big altimeter in flight perhaps.

Maybe:

Adding lifesupport to Hard, and removing parachute aero-damage from Easy would be nice to make the difficulties change in actual difficulty, but that's a bigger discussion.

Not Stockable:

KAS/KIS, KER, MJ, EL, RO, ETC, these all change the game notably and should not be stock unless Squad really wants to take the game in a new direction. 

Front-paged when you click 'get mods', sure.  Part of the installer, no.

15 hours ago, Snark said:

The great thing about graphics, is they usually have a settings menu option.  Given the graphics settings KSP already has, I see no reason they wouldn't.

Personally, I'm still on the fence about Scatterer.  It's definitely getting better.  The last time I played with it though, the transition into space looked horrible, it was a huge turn off.  I haven't used it since early 1.0, but if he as fixed that then it might be worth adding it's effects, but if not I would say no.  It's easy to take a screenshot and say it looks beautiful, but when you put it in motion that is where it gets tricky.  Like I said though, it has improved, it used to be even the screenshots looked bad.

Edited by Alshain

Truth be told KIS/KAS, Mechjeb procedural fairings all would be ideal candidates for the game. They all add functionality the game clearly needs and sorely lacks. What's that? The game has fairings you say? No. It has a broken, poorly thought out attempt that is poorly done. It's not easy to use, lacks interstage capability and is pointed only. Sorry but the stock failings are just that. Failings.

• 1 month later...

So, I have been thinking to myself that KSP could need some more parts, so I suggest that the following mods could be added to the stock game (I own none of these mods, I merely suggest them since I think they would make a good addition to the game):

Stockalike Station Part Expansion by Nertea

I would like to see this mod being implemented since KSP doesn't really have many space station parts.

Kerbal Planetary Base Systems by Nils277

The reason I suggest this is the same as above, KSP has even less parts for proper surface bases.

Surface Experiment Pack by AlbertKermin (I am aware that this needs KAS/KIS)

KSP always could do with some more science, especially the idea of having some stuff to do on surfaces besides planting a flag.

RLA Stockalike by hoojiwana

I suggest this since having some more parts would increase the number of concepts players could make.

DMagic Orbital Science by DMagic (The parts could be retextured to be more stockalike)

Now KSP has a surprisingly low amount of small science parts, therefore I think that adding this mod is a good idea. (The parts aren't very stock-alike, they could therefore be retextured a bit)

Custom Asteroids by Starstrider42

KSP could do with some more asteroids beyond Kerbin's orbit around the Sun.

Kerbal Inventory System (KIS) by KospY

Adding this mod into the stock game would allow for building stuff on other planets/moons.

Chatterer by Athlonic

Hearing the kerbonauts chat with Mission control would be pretty cool.

Kerbal Attachment System (KAS) by IgorZ

Again, like KIS, this mod could open up new possibilities for players.

Edited by Zaphod12

I opened this topic expecting to see the usual B9 aerospace and Outerplanets complaints, saying they should be stock(Not hating on those mods but they wouldn't do to be directly added).

However, the mods you've mentioned here all have a place in the game in my opinion. KSP is lacking in Station and Base parts especially.

The only problem I can see is the surface experiment mod requires KAS and KIS, and I don't think those mods in their current form are good to add to the game (Again, not hating, I actually use these).

Even if Squad didn't add these directly, they could take great inspiration from them, especially the base systems.