Mods in Stock

On 2.11.2016 at 10:23 PM, ottothesilent said:

Or mechjeb is for people that make lots of the same launches to LKO, LMO very regularly and don't want to bother flying the same mission 20 times in a day. I don't criticize your play style, so don't criticize mine.

Thing is, we're talking about STOCK features - things that would be desired by OVERWHELMING MAJORITY of player base. If you like that playstyle, all the more power to you, be happy with MJ as a mod, don't force it upon players who don't want it. Stock = Everyone gets it, whether they like or not. This is not a thread about "What mods are my favorite" but "What mods are so universal that everyone should like them". Not even "a majority", like 51% of 70% of players - but nearly everyone, with leaving a bare narrow margin left for these, who would complain about everything. And considering the number of people who voiced their opinion that they don't want MJ in stock, nope, it should not be forced upon those, who don't want it, and so it shouldn't be stock.

Just wishing to stress: when I said "MJ is also used when launches become repetitive", I was replying to someone insinuating that "with MJ you don't play the game anymore", I agree MJ should never be a stock addition. (Though it would be good if the maintainers of MJ would get like an early warning of things that will change so they can update quickly, MJ is THAT important once I have a large save file)

Though I find the delta-V readouts of MJ much easier: it gives delta-V per stage instead of the sum of delta-V's up to a certain stage. I'm hardly ever interested in the sum, since I plan by stage(groups) anyways. "This is the lander stage, so it needs X delta-V", "this is the LKO->Mun stage, up to low mun orbit - that needs Y delta-V". And if I have multiple stages: addition  is always easier to do that subtraction.

Another "mod" that should imo be in stock (though slightly different if it's in stock): contract editor. But rather than making it a mod, stock should just "move" all contract settings to config files so module manager/people can edit those. Right now the data that is in the mod files (yes there is a bit) is very incomplete and different per contract type. Older contracts you can only edit the reward types, yet with newer you can also edit the position/distances? Every "setting" should be in a config file.

• 2 weeks later...

MechJeb or at least an advanced Porkchop Plot tool for transfers, and precision landing guidance, so basically yeah MJ; obtained at the highest tech (perhaps a Lvl 10?)

Atmospheric Trajectories mod; Also unlocked at or near the highest tech

Distant Object, Scatterer, Planet Shine, EVE, SVE (hold the fake city lights) and all that good stuff; wishful thinking for 1.3 graphics

KIS & KAS <3 (I really just use it to place struts in space for large stations, and connecting landed tankers to static refuel bases)

Lights Out for placing lights in VAB/SAB more effectively

Delta-v tools, med-rare please

Life support? I don't mod for it, but its always sounded good.

Hi,

I'm new to the game and I can bring a bit of an overview from a beginner perspective. I would like the following to be included in the stock game because they enhance the game in a way that makes it hard to go back to the stock version. I don't like mods that take away from the difficulty of the game as they are more or less a hack to alter the gameplay, but I am interested in mods that enhance the game without taking away the challenge, because I think that the game is easy enough to learn if you put enough time in it.

1. SVE and Scatterer - I found that the SVE and Scatterer bring incredible enhancements to the feel of the game. The mod is clumsy right now, because you have to select different detail levels to install, but these can be integrated in the game to choose visuals. I know that there are other mods but really, any of them are nice, I'm just liking this one more.

2. Chatterer -  Oh, how much this mod adds to the whole feel of the game. I love how the radio chatter and ship sounds add to the whole feel. There's something immersive when you slowly rotate your ship and the radio comes to life to hear some chatter as you look at the planet below. It brings a tear to your eye. It's a childhood dream for those that didn't go to space yet but always dreamed of going.

3. [X] Science - This my be considered as a helping thing, but it's purely an interface thing, letting you know which biome and what science can be performed here. I am against automatic science stuff, because I think users should be the ones that perform the science, but it helps to know when it can be done.

4. Engineer - This has many features and tabs, but realistically, I think the only things that really matter to users is the information regarding apoaps and time to apoaps while launching in orbit. I have to switch to orbit view to adjust the trajectory, but I would love to watch the launch instead of staring at the orbit view, just because it's so cool. Another thing that is important is the total Delta V and TWR display, because this information is available already, but needs to be calculated and it is kinda clunky to do the math all the time. So the apoaps and time to plus the total delta v and TWR information will provide valuable information for the user.

5. Robotics -  I see that is a cool mod, because it allows complex movements and stuff. I would love to see a Shuttle with a robotic arm to position satellites in orbit, like the real thing used to do, just for the realism of it.

Thank you for the game. I used to play Spore before this because it was the closest I could have to space exploration and space flight. Now this game has given me the chance to be an astronaut for a few hours a day.

Edited by mystik

Definitely Chatterer. Though should it be able to be like the state it currently is, or should it be automatic? I like it when I execute a burn then have Jeb say to Mission Control he's finished. But has anyone mentioned Camera Tools yet? Oh and Kerbal Historical Institute. I mean revamped old Parts mods.

Mods that should be stock, at this point I know I am probably just repeating what has already been said, but you never know, someone might be keeping a tally.

RoverDude. Rather than list all his mods, lets just say all his mods. :D I know life support is not everyone's cup of tea, but they can have a options setting just like the comms does now.
Asteroid Day (why isn't it already?)
Chatter
Diverse Kerbal Heads/Texture Replacer as a whole. (Unless Kerbals are in fact clones, lets have some variety.)
Draggable NavBall
KER
KIS
KAS
SCANsat
Waypoint Manager

NavBall Up as Default - There's several mods that have done this for the space map view, it really is a must. Alternatively, give us the option to set our own defaults.

Mods that add good, useful parts like KW, like procedural mod.

• 2 weeks later...

At an absolute minimum I would like to have delta v stats and twr ratio in the stock game, basically mechjeb but without ascent guidance and autopilot ect. I still think that in a game that heavily relies on rocket and orbital mechanics, it should have some indication of how much delta v you have, and possible twr ratio. Yeah there's mods like kerbal engineer and mechjeb but these features I think should be in the stock game. It would be so cool to be able to play KSP without any mods sometime but at minimum a delta v calculation is I think necessary for anywhere further than the Mun and Minmus.

Edited by techgamer16

Trigger AU's Mods (Kerbal Alarm Clock and Transfer window planner),  Essential tools for running multiple interplanetary missions

Some version of precision node editor (where you can enter numbers for a maneuver node vector)

KER's VAB and SPH editor readouts (TWR and Delta V per stage)

Some of KER's HUD readouts:  Current max acceleration [needed for suicide burn and high speed RDVU burn calculations], Radar altimeter, and time to impact on current trajectory.  Total remaining Delta V for rocket another good readout.  Also, orbital parameters (Eccentricity, Inclination, and Apoapsis and periapsis height and time to Apoapsis)

A docking port alignment tool of some flavor, if anything, for relative rotation with docking ports.

A docking port that only allows coupling on specific relative rotations (To allow for Von Braun style interplanetary transfer stages without needing to use 2 docking ports)

Some flavor of centralized U/I listing available science experiments, allowing triggering without entering every parts UI

I personally would never want some mods that I always use in stock, I think most players tend to forget that people don't exactly have the NASA supercomputer in their homes, in a lot of cases (including mine until recently) people have something more atune to a hampster on a wheel with a etch a sketch and keyboard duct taped to it, and a bigger game file can make running KSP difficult. Mods like Scatterer and EVE/SVE, albeit beautiful, will not run on old or even fairly new computers. My brand new high powered gaming pc will lag trying to load in scatterer's graphics.

Mods like MechJeb, while useful for some, kinda take the fun out of KSP by undoing the enjoyment of flying yourself. The only mods I would really like added is things like Chattered and Rover Wheel Sounds, both only things that make the game SOUND better, but keeping gameplay the same and not lagging a PC to death, the only exception is KJR, but only as a toggle able in the game setup menu, that is on defaultly, except for hard mode, because I find the wacky physics charming, and an extra challenge.

I would put in the Kerbal Planetary Base Systems mod. It actually looks like Squad developed it and it really fills the niche for surface outposts. Whereas the current stock parts all, mostly, seem to be built for zero-g in cylindrical form. KPBS actually looks developed for surface outposts.

• 2 weeks later...

I have about 800+ hours according to steam and a little bit of time before KSP was on that platform.  Here are my own opinions on what should be stock:

Overall, the single biggest feature I would like to see stock is Chatterer.  For the longest time it was the only mod I had installed.  It's such a small thing, but adds so much to the experience for me.  The game feels lifeless without it.

After that, while I haven't used Waypoint manager, being able to see waypoints outside of map mode is something that is needed.  Maybe give experienced pilots this ability, to give them purpose.  Right now, I just buy or rescue more engineers and scientists for 'roid mining and labs.  I send relays ahead of any manned mission so pilots are not important to me except in the very early stages of career.

The second mod I installed is KER.  I was testing a launcher over and over and over, tweaking small things and trying to do the same liftoffs over and over to see which configuration was better.  After a while I just got frustrated and installed KER to just tell me what's marginally better.  However, that was well after I had done various interplanetary missions without it.  I see the chat above about UI and info overload and that is a concern for KSP.  I would say make the dV/TWR/KER stuff an end game upgrade or only accessible if "advanced tweakables" is checked.  Leave the game as it is now unless the player opts in to the greater information and controls.  However, these tools are really necessary after you got the basics and are looking to improve your designs.  You need them, but only when you are ready.  As for MJ v. KER - I stayed away from MJ precisely because of it's automation and wouldn't want that in stock myself.

I would also like SVE/SVT/EVE/Scatter/Planet Shine as stock, but right now they are huge performance hits.  I would only want them included if they could somehow nullify the performance drain.  Also on the looks side of things: Real Plume, Engine Lights, day/night mode in VAB/SPH, Raster Prop Mon.

My final point of frustration is maneuver nodes.  I use precise node, but even just the ability to map node directions to keypad and a toggle for .01/.1/1 increments would be huge.  Sure having the pop-up and hand jamming in "-2000, -100, +275" is easy but adds more complexity to the UI.  The stock maneuver node to this day gives me issues with how blunt and sloppy it feels.  Having to keep the node on screen is a huge flaw in itself.  The scroll wheel on node is either too sensitive or not enough and trying to grab or edit a node in the middle of crowded orbital map is a huge pain.  Something needs to be done and we need finer, more discrete control separate from the on screen node.  Again, I some of these features could be hidden as "advanced tweakables" or part of some upgrade path.

Most recently, I finally got around to installing Kerbal Alarm Clock.  I can do so much more with my game time thanks to this.  I wouldn't say it's essential but it's a real force multiplier for career.  I can have missions to every celestial body going at once and setup alarms to make sure I don't forget that Eeloo arrival I sent years ago.  I wouldn't even ask for things like the transfer window alerts, just some basic alarms for my crafts trajectory like SOI change and maneuver node alarms. Without it I can still play the game, but focusing on 1 Kerbal space mission at a time.  With KAC I have a Kerbal Space Program.

Edited by Amechwarrior

On 07/02/2016 at 11:30 AM, Choctofliatrio2.0 said:

I'm very sorry if this is an overused thread, but what kind of mods would you like put into stock game?

Personally, I'd put Kerbal Alarm Clock, and something like Kerbal Engineer with a delta V readout.

All of  them via an in game / per save interface. 

On 12/28/2016 at 0:11 PM, Moh1336 said:

Mods that should be stock, at this point I know I am probably just repeating what has already been said, but you never know, someone might be keeping a tally.

<words/>
NavBall Up as Default - There's several mods that have done this for the space map view, it really is a must. Alternatively, give us the option to set our own defaults.

Stock in 1.2

52 minutes ago, TheRagingIrishman said:

Stock in 1.2

It is, but it should be noted that it's kind of hidden.  In the Settings from the main screen, there's an "Auto hide navball in map view" check box, and it's checked by default.  Strange place to put it, but unchecking that option will keep the navball up.

I should probably read the change logs more carefully then, I wouldn't have known if you hadn't said anything. I update the game as they're pushed through Steam, so it's taken me from 1.2 launch to now to find out about it. :confused:

19 hours ago, Choctofliatrio2.0 said:

Interesting... Would that affect how the game runs, especially if somebody didn't use any of the mods? I feel like it'd slow down startup with having to load all those extra resources.

It would only need to load the resources of the selected mods for that game so no slower maybe even faster as it would only load the mods associated with that game. If the addition means an on-demand resource loading system is part of it faster even still. 

Adjustable Landing Gear

The amount of times I've raged at the landing gear heights just not making sense AT ALL...At both nose-wheels just being too short for the largest landing gear unless you happen to have a highly mounted wing on a large Mk3 design... I want my craft to look good... just a slider to change the height of the landing gear... I occasionally want a REALLY short main landing gear bogey (like many airliners have under their body)... and I sometimes wish my single wheel solutions were a bit taller. I don't even need the ability to place the wheels at an angle... just being able to procedurally change the height of the stock landing gear would be AWESOME.

It's frustrating. And it's made even worse that the original mod is no longer maintained. No offence to the current maintainer, but I find it slightly saddening that I'm getting a ton of parts I don't use with the landing gear. It clutters the build menu. (And because he's still developing / engineering it, it's not quite at the level of the original yet). Still, much (many?) kudos for reviving it to Shadowmage!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'd add ScanSAT. I believe it adds great content and integrates well with the existing game :

• The map scanning it adds is very well done. It's really fun to scan moons and planets.
  • It has full KSPedia entries, which are once again very well done
  • It doesn't break core concepts from the base game, and focuses on doing one thing and doing it well.
  • There are related contracts too. They need contract configurator but it could be adapted to the base game.

For its integration in stock, I would probably only simplify the UI and avoid it pops up all the time in space.