Mods in Stock

Just now, Snark said:

You post a thread about it in the Suggestions forum, like everyone else who has suggestions about how to improve the game.  ;)

It's what it's for.

when I came across it, it appeared I'd have to start a new topic, which would cause my stuff to be buried in the forum, could you if it's possible, relay this plea to the devs, to make a habitat, just one, one that's horizontal and thus good for base building, and has a bed in it or a few, it's really, really, really, what's missing to seal the deal with stock parts

26 minutes ago, The-Doctor said:

it appeared I'd have to start a new topic

Right.  That's what people do, when they have a suggestion to make.

26 minutes ago, The-Doctor said:

which would cause my stuff to be buried in the forum

Well, one of two things will happen:

• Possibility #1:  Your idea is a popular one, and lots of other people want it too, and there's chatter in your thread.  In which case it won't get "buried", it'll stay near the top of the forum, which raises the likelihood of getting noticed and potentially implemented at some point.
  • Possibility #2:  Nobody but you wants this thing, and so your thread just sits there and doesn't get any attention, so eventually it will get pushed to later and later pages as other, more popular ideas percolate in front of it.  Eventually it fades into obscurity.

Either way, it's the right thing to happen.

Look, I get that you really, really want this.  I understand the frustration, and I sympathize.

Do bear in mind, though, that there are literally hundreds of thousands of other users in this forum, and they really, really want things, too.  There's no way that the devs could possibly implement even 1% of everything that everyone wants; it would be a physical impossibility.  There are only just a few devs, and they generally have their hands very full just building the features that Squad has designed into the game.  They can and do read the "suggestions" forum, and when there's something that's really popular and in high demand from lots and lots of players, it gets noticed.  Maybe even implemented.

But there's simply no way they're ever going to have the time to implement some special feature for one person who wants something-- no matter how passionately.  And every other player here has just as much right to their wish-list as you have to yours, so there's really no special mechanism to push your idea to the front of the line for special attention.

The thing that's frustrating you is "well, if I just do that, my voice will be lost in the crowd."  Yes.  It will, if you're the only person asking for it.  That's absolutely correct.  And that's also absolutely unavoidable when there are hundreds of thousands of forum users who all want stuff, and only a small handful of devs.

The only way for "user feedback to devs" to work at all is to just make a big bucket where everyone can toss their suggestions, in a place where the devs can see it.  Which is exactly what the Suggestions forum is for.

• 3 months later...

My wish is still for OPM.

We've gotten a lot of nice things over the years that I wished for (2 man Apollo pod, some electric propellers, even tho I find them a bit... buggy/odd to make work, and few other nice things like Delta-V readout).
But we still didn't get the OPM dlc.  Tho looking back at it,  would I ever be satisfied with an official OPM that isn't the OPM I've grown to love over the years? good question.
As long as it finishes the solar system to the Pluto analog, and that the Uranus analog (my fav planet so sue me) is well done, both color-wise and ring-wise, then it should fly
Bonus points if Saturn has 7 moons, Uranus has 4-5, and Neptune 2-4.  I'll start with OPM, then we can ask for something else...

Like getting the now defunct "AresExploration" (based on "The Martian" mod stock. @RoverDude actually finished 2 parts of the mod already (The Orca Cockpit, and the Habitat centrifuge ring; he put them in FTT and USI). 
We're missing the engine, the MDV (the 6-man pod the crew are in as they escape mars), the rover (Looked promising, but it too was abandoned), and the rest of the escape vehicle parts.
I am especially fond of the 6-kerbal pod in that unfinished mod.  Too bad it's interior depends too much on RasterPropMonitor...  I like the stock interiors.
Shameless plug to anyone that wans to tackle it and finish it. 

On 12/29/2019 at 10:02 AM, The Minmus Derp said:

Maybe having Kopernicus be stock so that it's easier to install planet mods.

Kopernicus requires module manager, and integrating module manager in the stock game would certainly be a challenge.

Kerbal Alarm Clock

KER (or at least the basic display at the top of the screen)

Docking Alignment indicator

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/31/2020 at 9:27 AM, Mortimer Kerman said:

KAS, KIS, MechJeb2, Kopernicus, ScanSat, Hyperedit, VesselMover, and the mod for glass panels. (And Tilt’Elm, the mod for planet axis inclination)

Why should Kopernicus be stock?

17 minutes ago, Deddly said:

Why should Kopernicus be stock?

I don't know Mortimer's reason, but I know of a reason:

Kopernicus (like Module Manager) is not really a mod itself, but an enabler of many other mods, that over-rides the way KSP starts up so that configuration files can define the planets.  The fact that so many mods depend on Kopernicus puts undeserved pressure on its volunteer maintainers.

• 1 month later...

Should simply be a stock option in the settings. It allows users to retain their choice of cursor, for example if you prefer a left handed pointer, or feel the blob just tends to obscure too much of your readouts. Or both ; )

• 2 weeks later...

No idea if this has been discussed before, and it probably has, but I think that a very good choice to implement in stock would be Restock. If anyone wonders what Restock is about, you can find it here:

Alternatively you have a video by ShadowZone, it's a pretty good explanation/review: 

Spoiler

Squad has been working on part revamps as of recently, and it just so happens that this mod here already does all the work for them for 250 parts so far. It is a pretty popular and well-received mod and unlike another popular parts revamp mod called Ven's Stock Revamp, this one actually keeps very close to the KSP style and I'd say it executes it even better. Among notable features of this mod you have (copied from the original post): a unity of design and style for all parts, preservation of the general aesthetic of KSP, consistency in detail level ("no more 4k textures for tiny parts!"), minimal performance impact and no gameplay or part balance impact.

I do feel like if this were to be implemented, no one would complain. It's one of the best KSP mods in my opinion. The only thing that could be not implemented is the custom plumes for each engine. I think stock KSP doesn't really need a revamp in that regard but that's up to anyone's guess just like the rest of my suggestion.

Again, I'm fairly sure this has been discussed before (maybe even in this thread) but I couldn't find anything about it and I'm a bit surprised it's not a popular suggestion. Maybe I just haven't been around these forums long enough lol.

What do y'all think about this?

Edit: ye im a dingus and didn't read much of the pages here, and yea it has been suggested indeed but I still don't retract from my post :D I still want to paddle on this idea to have it catch momentum.

Edited by Sticky3002

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

B9 Procedural Wings (wings you can customize the size/shape of, and add fuel to)

B9 Part Switch (the ability to change what fuell-type some fuselages hold: would certainly simplify the stock fuselage lineup!)

Reusability Expansion (larger landing legs, some of which are actually aerodynamically shielded when folded up; an engine designed for powered landing of crew capsules)

Procedural Parts (instead of a million different fuel tanks and SRB's, a single procedural part for each that we can change the size/shape of, simplifying the parts catalog)

Life Support mods (I don't care which: but Stock needs AT LEAST a really simplified system) and supporting parts- including greenhouses! (to produce all your life support resources in-situ for a large mass investment: giving more utility to ststions/bases/cycler ships.  I suggest two new resources "Life Support" or "Snacks" and "Waste"- greenhouses turn Waste the other...)

Larger solar panels and larger ion engines from the NearFuture mod.  Would save on part-spam vs. adding a massive number of Gigantor's and ion thruster clusters for really heavy/high-performance ion probes.  Might even enable the ion thruster TWR to be nerfed to be a bit more realistic (as then you could just use a larger ion thruster and solar panels to get better performance), compensated by higher ISP still (also more realistic: stock ion engines have very low ISP for what they represent...)  The bigger solar panels would also be useful on really large stations with tons of science labs- or just for looks.

Edited by Northstar1989

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/2/2020 at 12:01 PM, Northstar1989 said:

B9 Procedural Wings (wings you can customize the size/shape of, and add fuel to)

B9 Part Switch (the ability to change what fuell-type some fuselages hold: would certainly simplify the stock fuselage lineup!)

Larger solar panels and larger ion engines from the NearFuture mod.  Would save on part-spam vs. adding a massive number of Gigantor's and ion thruster clusters for really heavy/high-performance ion probes.  Might even enable the ion thruster TWR to be nerfed to be a bit more realistic (as then you could just use a larger ion thruster and solar panels to get better performance), compensated by higher ISP still (also more realistic: stock ion engines have very low ISP for what they represent...)  The bigger solar panels would also be useful on really large stations with tons of science labs- or just for looks.

echoing some of this: I'd like the landing gear and maybe even the regular wheels from the Kerbal Foundries mod be added, perhaps not the full KSPWheel implmentation but certainly the basic idea of landing gear that is extensively tweakable in terms of being able to be more easily tweaked.

Improvements to solar panels would be nice too, something along the lines of a Soyuz-style 3-panel fixed setup would really benefit Making History.

But as far as I'm aware the things that would be best implemented into stock (that I haven't mentioned yet):

->Restock, Restock Plus, and KeR-7, as these add parts that were otherwise "missing" from the stock game and more importantly Making History

->RCS build aid, because it's stupidly useful.

->Speed Unit Changer or Speed Unit Annex: either one, simply makes it simpler to fly in some regards.

->Airplane Autopilot and "Plane Mode" for their useful additions to atmospheric flight.

->various other mods for things like the VAB/SPH that help add degrees of precision that might otherwise just be down to luck/extreme amounts of patience, such as Maneuver Node evolved or editor enhancements.

->From the Eyes of a Kerbal/allow us to go first person while EVA and/or in a seat.

->NEAR or FAR style improvements to aerodynamic models.

->1.875m scale Soyuz, either HGR, or preferably something more like a scaled-up Tantares, though that's perhaps "too many" parts for someone like Squad to feel comfortable implementing since many clearly possess limited uses, while I'm on this subject some titan II-style parts for a more accurate replica of Gemini.

->Greater number and variety of "Service Modules" or "service compartments", resembling either "Universal Storage" or Near Future Spacecraft in terms of functionality.

->SCANSAT and Dmagic's orbital science

->Kerbal attachment system because cables and ropes would be useful.

I agree that something like Kopernicus should be added as a stock API, or at least some of the changes it implements should be implemented in stock.

Edited by betaking

On 6/2/2020 at 4:01 PM, Northstar1989 said:

Reusability Expansion (larger landing legs, some of which are actually aerodynamically shielded when folded up; an engine designed for powered landing of crew capsules)

Procedural Parts (instead of a million different fuel tanks and SRB's, a single procedural part for each that we can change the size/shape of, simplifying the parts catalog)

Life Support mods (I don't care which: but Stock needs AT LEAST a really simplified system) and supporting parts- including greenhouses! (to produce all your life support resources in-situ for a large mass investment: giving more utility to ststions/bases/cycler ships.  I suggest two new resources "Life Support" or "Snacks" and "Waste"- greenhouses turn Waste the other...)

B9 wings & part switch would be great, as well as the larger (and aerodynamic) landing legs. 

I'm ok with proc parts, but a lot of people aren't - and if you can easily switch what they store, having 4 or so lengths of each diameter is still better than the multiple sizes for each fuel type we have now.

Life support is another that I'm ok with, but a lot of people don't want.  I've even seen a fairly convincing argument that all life support mods do is add parts/mass to your craft - basically, anyone that wants to use LS is going to carefully plan their missions, and is unlikely to run out, so the end result is just a more complicated & heavier craft.   

Larger solar & ion would be nice to have also

5 hours ago, betaking said:

->Greater number and variety of "Service Modules" or "service compartments", resembling either "Universal Storage" or Near Future Spacecraft in terms of functionality.

I'm a big fan of US2, but it does add quite a bit of parts to deal with.  For stock, I'd just love to see service bays have multiple heights to choose from like US2: single through quad height, with the single height being half of the current stock, double equal to the current bay, etc.