Mods in Stock

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Mukita12 said:

10/10 would agree. Camera Tools would be nice

I don't agree for mods being integrated at stock at all.

1. The developers would integrate a mod into the game and what? Then the community will complain that the developers are so uncreative stealing ideas from mods, like what's the point of annoying the developers of the game?

2. Mods are mods. Literally. Is it just hard to click download and extract to GameData folder? Is it really this difficult to optionally sort out the mods that you want or not want?

3. Some people wouldn't even like the mods, but there's nothing to change because they're forced to use them or just not play the game at all. Imagine if SQUAD integrates FAR into the game and a newbie can't do anything about it and realistic aerodynamics is too difficult for her/him.

People, think about it for a while. Why mods exist? Simple: People install them if they want to and sorts out which ones the user likes which ones the user doesn't like. I wouldn't wanna be forced to use Kerbal Space Ponies though.

3 hours ago, ShuttlePilot said:

I don't agree for mods being integrated at stock at all.

1. The developers would integrate a mod into the game and what? Then the community will complain that the developers are so uncreative stealing ideas from mods, like what's the point of annoying the developers of the game?

2. Mods are mods. Literally. Is it just hard to click download and extract to GameData folder? Is it really this difficult to optionally sort out the mods that you want or not want?

3. Some people wouldn't even like the mods, but there's nothing to change because they're forced to use them or just not play the game at all. Imagine if SQUAD integrates FAR into the game and a newbie can't do anything about it and realistic aerodynamics is too difficult for her/him.

People, think about it for a while. Why mods exist? Simple: People install them if they want to and sorts out which ones the user likes which ones the user doesn't like. I wouldn't wanna be forced to use Kerbal Space Ponies though.

Completely agree with you. No mods should be integrated in stock game. Only those things that can't really be tackle properly with mods and that would require the core of the game to  be modified. 

Summary of things that just came to my mind:

- Improve mod loading times, mmpatches parallel processing.

- Render map view into a different screen.

- Reflection probe boxes per vessel instead of just on the active vessel

On 3/23/2021 at 7:37 AM, AlamoVampire said:

These should ABSOLUTELY be stock. Why? Mechjeb is an autopilot. Something we could all use no matter how much folks may argue against it, flying the same launch profile with the same payload multiple times can get tedious if not boring.

The entire point of the game is to manipulate orbits correctly, doing things like massive bases and having to do several runs to build said bases wasn't exactly intended from the start. KSP 2 will let you set up rockets to do runs in the background that you have already done manually, an idea that, frankly, feels a lot less like a lazy go-to for when milk runs are brought up.

8 hours ago, jrodriguez said:

No mods should be integrated in stock game.

Planes, docking, resource mining, robotics.

All of these were mods that later got added to the game.

26 minutes ago, razark said:

Planes, docking, resource mining, robotics.

All of these were mods that later got added to the game.

I'm totally against of reinventing the wheel. I'd prefer KSP dev team contributing to 3rd party mods rather than integrating them.

Besides, from a Software Development pov,  if a mod was already there doing the same thing ( eg: Robotics) then that should be a low priority for  KSP Dev team, they should focus on adding value improving the core game or adding features that no mod is covering.

On 5/7/2021 at 10:14 AM, Bej Kerman said:

The entire point of the game is to manipulate orbits correctly, doing things like massive bases and having to do several runs to build said bases wasn't exactly intended from the start. KSP 2 will let you set up rockets to do runs in the background that you have already done manually, an idea that, frankly, feels a lot less like a lazy go-to for when milk runs are brought up.

Im hoping mechjeb or similar is stock in ksp2. Heck i hope the use something like procedural fairings for ksp2 (what we have for fairings is so ugly no imho compared to proc fairings). Imho ofc.

Edited by AlamoVampire

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/7/2021 at 7:01 PM, jrodriguez said:

I'm totally against of reinventing the wheel. I'd prefer KSP dev team contributing to 3rd party mods rather than integrating them.

Besides, from a Software Development pov,  if a mod was already there doing the same thing ( eg: Robotics) then that should be a low priority for  KSP Dev team, they should focus on adding value improving the core game or adding features that no mod is covering.

I disagree. Don't forget the guys on consoles. They can't install mods and have to hope for the ksp devs to deliver new features. 

So I think, something like kerbal alarm clock or transferwindow planner would be nice additions to stock. Or more nice station parts, like Nertea's stuff.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/26/2021 at 4:57 PM, Rakete said:

So I think, something like kerbal alarm clock or transferwindow planner would be nice additions to stock

I hope when the successor to this thread gets going people remember this and we don't have the silly argument about adding mods to stock.

I could list a ton of good things that come out of it. But it's been said. That and the point was nailed home with the update. integrated>Mod. You don't have to patch the features to work with mods, they just do. Because they are lower level. Not tacked on the side.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/7/2021 at 1:01 PM, jrodriguez said:

Yeah. I think that there are a lot of mods that would have a great use(ventral drill), but the art isn't great. If they could team up with those mods and help them out a little bit that would be awesome. On the other hand, I would think it would be great if they incorporated something like restock into the game.

On 5/8/2021 at 10:44 PM, AlamoVampire said:
On 5/7/2021 at 4:14 PM, Bej Kerman said:

Im hoping mechjeb or similar is stock in ksp2. Heck i hope the use something like procedural fairings for ksp2 (what we have for fairings is so ugly no imho compared to proc fairings). Imho ofc.

Probably won't happen.

Procedural fairings already exist.

On 5/26/2021 at 9:57 PM, Rakete said:
On 5/7/2021 at 6:01 PM, jrodriguez said:

I disagree. Don't forget the guys on consoles. They can't install mods and have to hope for the ksp devs to deliver new features. 

So I think, something like kerbal alarm clock or transferwindow planner would be nice additions to stock. Or more nice station parts, like Nertea's stuff.

Instead of porting all 150,000 mods to console, why don't we tackle the issue head-on - maybe build console and PC versions on the same architecture and provide both access to a CKAN-like database of mods? Console guys can't install mods right now and porting loads of mods won't fix that.

14 hours ago, Bej Kerman said:

Procedural fairings already exist

If you are referring to (my opinion on usability/quality) ghastly and unwieldy version they put in, then, you are right, but, the mod procedural fairings is by far superior. In every single aspect.* 

*at least it was when I last played KSP in late 2020.

12 hours ago, AlamoVampire said:
On 6/22/2021 at 10:42 AM, Bej Kerman said:

Procedural fairings already exist

If you are referring to (my opinion on usability/quality) ghastly and unwieldy version they put in, then, you are right, but, the mod procedural fairings is by far superior. In every single aspect.* 

*at least it was when I last played KSP in late 2020.

I don't find em unwieldy and ghastly, but that might be because my payloads don't have a circumference 5 times bigger than the rocket. I used the mod once, and from what I can remember, I just couldn't be bothered with the extra complications it brought.

45 minutes ago, AlamoVampire said:

1. Must build fairing from bottom up each time.

2. Does not auto adjust to shape.

3. Defaults to potato chip deploy (visually unrealistic)

4. Not intuitive to use.  (This one issue has its own list. Not wanting to rehash it)

1. Not an issue for me, but again, that's when my payload isn't so wide that I should be assembling it in space.

2. Takes 2 seconds anyway, 15 seconds worst case.

3. I've gotten used to fixing this.

4. Doesn't affect me.

That's just my opinion though. The mod felt unintuitive and didn't help a whole lot. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Well, if we are talking about personal preferences so here is my list of my top mods you should try to use:

- MechJeb 2;

- Kerbal Engineer Redux;

- Kerbal Attachment System;

- BD Armory. 

Usefull and entertaining mods which most of you should at least check them out :)

• 7 months later...

I was enlightened by this thread that maybe

can be made a stock feature. I will also post in KSP2 suggestions, since KSP1 development has stopped.