Mods in Stock

On 2/25/2018 at 7:09 AM, Bottle Rocketeer 500 said:

@saxyomega90125 I have tried USI already. I agree with your statements,  but maybe if LS were in stock,  maybe there should be 3 levels: easy, intermediate,  and hard.

And disabled of course, for anyone with an established save - Kerbals suddenly discovering the feeling of hunger while in orbit of Jool could be problematic.

I forgot, another big reason I like USI over Snacks is the [optional] time limit on EVAs. I have to say though, I wish it had the reputation impact like Snacks - not that I play career often but it's a nice touch.

• 3 weeks later...

I'd really like to have a keyboard option for maneuver nodes. I struggle to get accurate maneuvers just dragging the vectors.  It gets particularly challenging when you have a distant target, you are scrolled out to have both your ship and the target in view, and you need to move your maneuver a bit along the orbit. It is very easy to accidentally grab one of the other handles and mess up the whole maneuver.  I wind up deleting and starting again often.

As a newer player, I found this the MOST frustrating part of the game. Failures due to poor design or lack of understanding I can deal with; that's the challenge of the game. Mediocre interface is a different issue.  I know there are some mods that do some of this, but I think this should be a core thing. It's about having a more functional interface.

I do video editing in Premier Pro and most of the drag tools have a little window option where you can type in an exact number.  It's pretty standard.

I'm still crying that I have to wait for KER and KJR to be updated. If they'd just add those two (very simple) mods into the game, it would make me happy enough to recommend to my less nerdy friends. Fact is, Stock KSP is too ding-dang hard. Nobody wants to guesstimate their missions or crunch eleventh-grade algebra every time they log on, and wobbly rockets just makes no sense. It's silly at first but I got over the hilarity in 2014 and was totally sober as I downloaded my first Kerbal Joint Reinforcement files.

I have heard tell that Squad just fired off the milquetoast response that we "should just get the mods, anyways"? That's very annoying, why not just make it part of the game? Enough people have been clamoring for it for so many years that I'm still awestruck that there isn't an implementation of the actual numbers, yet.

I think most mods aren't "good enough" to be included in stock as is, with the exception of improved visuals (that default to off). Usually because they provide too many options, too much complexity and don't integrate into the game as completely as they should. However I think a ton of the mods people suggest here could be added successfully after being tweaked significantly.

Chatterer - Remove the Chatterer settings UI completely and replace it with a single on/off toggle in settings. Improve the quality of the beep audio file. Default to on for new players.

KER - Remove all game UI. Offer a simplified deltaV calculator in the VAB after upgrading the VAB to level X, price the upgrade to X in career mode so that players are likely to be already completing contracts at the difficulty of round-trip manned missions to remote planet surfaces. For in flight UI that helps for various things, add more sensor parts that come with an electrical cost and mass cost that can be opened just like the gravity meter etc. So your Landing-assist Laser Range Computer can give you their guess as to when to suicide burn, etc. Put these somewhat high up in the tech tree. This kind of information is already present in the game and working well. Think about how parachutes tell you when it would be safe to deploy etc.

Kerbal alarm clock - Remove the in-flight UI and add alarm management to the Tracking Station after tracking station is upgraded to level X. Where X is priced at a range where players are starting to fill a lot of contracts by executing them in parallel.  I think it would be in keeping with the game to add optimal transit window finding as a capability of the scientist of high enough star level, although realism would dictate that the ground station could always do the calculations.

Mechjeb - There are a few tedious tasks where I think automation doesn't kill the spirit of the game. For example holding an aircraft/rover on a certain heading. Restrict this capability to when the craft has a pilot on-board with a certain star level.

RemoteTech - Add a new part to the highest levels of the tech tree that gives a programmable guidance unit. Add control latency based on the distance of the kerbnet signal to the nearest pilot on the game's hardest difficulty level. The programmable guidance unit is immune to the latency for local control. Add more career mode consequences to loss of crew events at the hardest difficulty level.

CKAN - Either adopt steam's support on this or make a custom module management in the game instead of an external C# program that is a challenge on different platforms. Making it easier for players to install mods would take the sting out of choosing to not incorporate ideas from most mods.

I think the above ideas work well for career mode. Because they don't burden new players or ruin the first time experience of learning about orbital mechanics. However I think it would create problems for new players starting in Sandbox mode.

Users who don't want to fly lots of missions in parallel won't need alarm clocks, but they won't see the extra UI clutter too often since they probably won't spend a lot of time in the tracking station

Users who don't want automation can avoid including pilots on their missions and instead enjoy the benefits of having engineers and scientists instead

Users that don't want to program launch sequences can simply never use the remote tech part. Those that have mastered manual piloting can take the game to the next level by creating re-usable scripts to take the tedium out of building a remote base that might require 100 launches.

I think the most contentious one would be KER and a delta-v readout. Certainly without it at the beginning of the game users will have to experiment to get a feel for "how much" is enough. However it will rob them of the challenge of creating extremely efficient, complicated missions on their own later on. But I think the number of people who would actually break out a calculator and benefit from that motivation is probably much smaller than the number of people who would start launching much more ambitious missions around the end game due to being able to calculate delta-v easily.

On 7/30/2017 at 4:12 AM, MiffedStarfish said:

I don't want any mods in stock. Mods are optional extras, and removing the "optional" bit from that for some mods would just be annoying.

So many people on here with thousands of likes, who must patrol these forums like a hawk, say thinks like this.      What I get from this is that TT should fire all squad employees, and let modders take over the game development, because their is little for game developers to do.   Or just that KSP development is dead in general.    Hmm guess I have to wait for another game to come along and not listen to it's community, so that they can make some thing even more wonderful than KSP in it's current completed state.

I don't see any other game company even working on something as wonderful as KSP.  I want to see this game thrive and grow.   I wish people on this forum were more constructive than to say, "a mod did it, stop talking noob."

5 hours ago, Red Thought said:

So many people on here with thousands of likes, who must patrol these forums like a hawk, say thinks like this.      What I get from this is that TT should fire all squad employees, and let modders take over the game development, because their is little for game developers to do.   Or just that KSP development is dead in general.    Hmm guess I have to wait for another game to come along and not listen to it's community, so that they can make some thing even more wonderful than KSP in it's current completed state.

I don't see any other game company even working on something as wonderful as KSP.  I want to see this game thrive and grow.   I wish people on this forum were more constructive than to say, "a mod did it, stop talking noob."

Sorry what? From what part of that did you get “sack all the devs”? I said almost the exact opposite, “keep developing and improving features and don’t just implement or copy mods.” 

“I don't want any mods in stock. Mods are optional extras, and removing the "optional" bit from that for some mods would just be annoying.”

"a mod did it, stop talking noob."

the only word they share is “mod”. I can’t understand how you took away what you did from that. 

As for patrolling the forums like a hawk, this post was from 2/3rds of a year ago...

On 08/02/2016 at 12:19 AM, Temstar said:

And that's precisely the reason why I wouldn't want it in stock.

Not a good arguement I'm afraid. You can always not use the autopilot functionality but why would you want to deny it to others? I detest people who think their way is the only right way to play the game. And that is your whole argument.

From a developer/business sales point of view the more approachable the game is the more people will keep playing. Which means more potential sales of DLC down the road. A higher activity level and good comments and ratings in Steam also means more purchases by Steam members. So every player who stops playing, or who doesn't buy it because it is too hard is lost $$$. The same is true if It's too easy.

Simply put the option to have autopilot like features of a stock mechjeb into the difficulty options where other things that make the game harder or easier already exist addresses the issue for those who want it hard and those who want it easy. Everybody wins!

On 29/03/2018 at 2:29 PM, EatVacuum said:

Not a good arguement I'm afraid. You can always not use the autopilot functionality but why would you want to deny it to others? I detest people who think their way is the only right way to play the game. And that is your whole argument.

The only thing we can say @Temstar is denying, is his own participation in this forum. The fact that his last visit was two years ago makes pretty hard to get a response from him.

Given that I  also prefer the stock game without the kind of automation provided by MechJeb, maybe my arguments may be enough for you.

I don't want to deny MechJeb to others. If you want MechJeb you can find it here.  I also don't want to prevent the devs to work in whatever features they decide to include in the stock game. That said, an autopilot will have no effect for me, while some other features will be appreciated.

• 1 month later...

Basic dV and TWR are something that are basic rights to ksp players. A little bit of a graphics touch up like with just the atmosphere and sun flare from scatterer and a patch of cloud here and there wouldn’t hurt anybody. 

3 hours ago, Earthlinger said:

That is subjective

How lol. Tweakscale is practically stock, BasicOrbit and BasicDV are so lightweight and useful at the same time that I really hate to play without them, and Kax adds more parts for building planes. I would also say ManuverNodeOverhauled and TrackingStationOverhauled are pretty much musts too

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, SpaceAccidentsIreland said:

EVE

Scatterer

Totally, but if SQUAD implements these, they'd have to make sure that they were off at minimum graphics, or at least turned down (i.e non-volumetric clouds) so that the game would still run on potatoes.

Or if they could figure out how to optimise the visual effects so they could run on any computer---that would be great!!!

• 1 month later...

As a few mentioned before, I would like to see KER and KAC implemented in de stock game. Why? They are not altering the vanilla-game, but they add so much more in a very simple to understand way. They are lightweight (thinking of potatoe computers), it is easy to not use them if you don't feel the need and both make use of what is in the stock game allready.

Edited by Epicdreamer

The mod Outer Planets Mod is a great way mod to be added into the game. The stock planets and locations are fun and all, but i see all over the community and on youtube: people who go to the same places over and over and over again. With the OPM Mod in the stock game though, people who are very old players (like me) or new players who really want a challenge. I really really hope matt lowne makes a video on going to Thatmo and back no mining! Hopefully someone in-charge sees this and it is added into the game. Besides, mods added in stock games end up being some of the modt popular features in their games! Pic of the mod can be found on the wiki.

imagine your favorite KSP ytber going to sarnus or something...

Edited by TelluriumEngeneering