[1.6-1.9] HGR Community Fixes: Home-Grown Fixes for Home-Grown Rockets v1.7.0 (02019 Nov 12)

Kerbas_ad_astra

It seems that HGR engines' heat production values are not in balance with stock (they're too high), and they also lack the "skinInternalConductionMult = 4.0" variable that was added in 1.0.4.  These probably contribute to overheating.  Can you show me a picture (or get me a craft file) of a rocket that has the overheating problem, so I can test my solutions?

I tried reproducing your second rocket.  I didn't get it to explode, but the engines do run cooler with the new thermal balance patch, so hopefully it will work for you.

Version 1.2 is released!

• Re-balanced the thermal properties of the engines. They should now be no more prone to overheating than stock engines.
  • Fixed Radish and Spud heat shield patches to stop them from turning black when ablated.
  • Fixed lab patch (thanks speedwaystar!)

Until now I dealt with it by slapping two large radiator panels (or roughly equivalent amount of smaller radiators - whatever fits better between control fins and boosters) as far down on the lowest tank near the engine as I can, that usually got me regular flame-out without any unplanned explosions. The update now almost feels like cheating... j/k, your work is much appreciated as always.

Edited by MaxRebo
ninja'd by forum paging

Question: Can you perhaps devise a two piece apparatus to allow the aft node of the "Leek" orbital module to serve as a docking port after the descent capsule has separated, since it is designed to be capable of staying in orbit and functioning autonomously? I know the standard practice is to put a docking port on the front of the orbital module but being able to dock on both ends would be helpful

Edited by StevieC

Is there a reason you can't just put a docking port on the back end of the Leek?

I'm a decent config jockey and code monkey, but part modeling is outside of my area of expertise.  (Even if such a part were necessary and if I could make it, I wouldn't release it here -- this is strictly for the sake of maintenance of HGR.)

Fair enough. Problem I've had is most docking ports are too bulky. The old Bacon Labs had a pair of compact docking ports with a choice of one with parachute (for the descent module) and one without (for the Leek)

• 2 weeks later...
47 minutes ago, gunt3rgam3r said:

Hey everyone... Thx for this mod,  is there any chance this mod will work in 1.1 or will we have to say goodbye to it after the update? 

Landertrons are probably temporarily toast, but I don't think beyond that there are many/any plugin dependencies? With a big caveat, I don't see why it wouldn't work. But, we'll have to wait and see, as with everything!

• 3 weeks later...

The core functionality of the parts themselves seems to be fine, though I'm going to wait for the full release to see if any aero/thermal rebalancing has been done before saying that nothing needs to change.

The parts need tags applied, but I'd like to see Squad refine that system a little more before I start writing them -- it seems that there is inconsistency about what the searching actually searches (e.g. some but not all words in a part's title).  I should probably also add some testing constraints.

There will also be some minor changes to deal with third-party mods a little better (RPM, USI-LS).

Landertrons are indeed toast for the moment, but it just needs a recompile with the new references.  I'll have a release of that when 1.1 comes out.

two parts in the mod that have been misbehaving on my 1.1 are the SoyJuice inline chute, and the HGR Deluxe Escape Tower (the one that features a built-in fairing). The escape tower doesn't want to properly attach and when you do manage to attach it, it won't let you build the fairing. The inline chute deploys BENEATH the descending capsule instead of above it.

Both inline chutes work for me in testing, with the chutes inflating in the right direction regardless of which way the parts attach.

There's definitely something strange going on with the escape tower, though.  Its configuration file is the same as the other fairings' (except that its "axis" is pointing in -Y, so that the fairing opens downward -- at least, that's how it used to work in 1.0.x), but when I try to attach it, I get nastiness in the log:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at ModuleProceduralFairing.WipeMesh () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

at ModuleProceduralFairing.OnAwake () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

at PartModule.Awake () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

(A few lines later...)

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at ModuleProceduralFairing.WipeMesh () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

at ModuleProceduralFairing.RefreshPanels () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

at ModuleProceduralFairing.<SetupEditorFSM>m__2F2 () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

at KerbalFSM.RunEvent (.KFSMEvent evt) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

at ModuleProceduralFairing.onEditorPartEvent (ConstructionEventType evt, .Part p) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

at EventData`2[ConstructionEventType,Part].Fire (ConstructionEventType data0, .Part data1) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

at EditorLogic.<SetupFSM>m__FD () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

at KerbalFSM.RunEvent (.KFSMEvent evt) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

at KerbalFSM.updateFSM (KFSMUpdateMode mode) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

at KerbalFSM.UpdateFSM () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

at EditorLogic.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

There's something that "WipeMesh" needs that every other fairing has (even the size 1.5 fairing that comes with HGR, which hasn't changed since 1.0.2).  I'll ask about it in the addon development subforum, but if I can't resolve the issue, I'll delete the fairing module from the escape tower so that it can be used without breaking anything.

The issue is that, in build 1183, ModuleProceduralFairing is hard-coded to look for node_stack_top, which the LES tower obviously doesn't have.  Good news on that front -- Top Devs (read: @Claw) are on the case, so that's under control.  (If all else fails, it is possible to rename the node, but that would cause trouble for loading ships which currently have the LES attached.)

There are a couple of other config edits that need to happen to rebalance the mass of the fairing and point the ModuleCargoBay at the fairing module (so that it actually shields its contents, but that's all coming in the next version.

Build 1196 has the fix for the procedural fairing (thanks @Claw!), so you can grab a zip of the repository and use HGR in the 1.1 prerelease.

The only feature that isn't finished is the tags -- to some extent, I want to wait until 1.1 is fully released (and the tagging system is stabilized, and I can see what the standard tags are), but in the meantime, I'm happy to accept pull requests to the WIP tags and tests config file (where I will also be implementing the part-test modules -- and I'm happy to accept PRs for that as well!).

Hello,

I made Real Plume configs for the 3 engines added by HGR. I will submit a pull request to RealPlume but in the meantime, you can download them here. Just put that folder in your RealPlume configs folder.

EDIT: Pull request got accepted in github. Should be a part of the next RealPlume release.

Enjoy,

Andrew

Edited by Andrew2448

On 4/10/2016 at 6:22 PM, Andrew2448 said:

Hello,

I made Real Plume configs for the 3 engines added by HGR. I will submit a pull request to RealPlume but in the meantime, you can download them here. Just put that folder in your RealPlume configs folder.

EDIT: Pull request got accepted in github. Should be a part of the next RealPlume release.

Enjoy,

Andrew

Unfortunately, you made a typo -- there's a line that causes the loading system to choke hard:

@PART[HGR_FG90_Engine]:FOR[RealPlume]:NEEDS[SmokeScreen] //FG90 - HGR
{
        localPosition = 0,0,0-0.1          //Any offset needed
}

5 hours ago, Kerbas_ad_astra said:

Unfortunately, you made a typo -- there's a line that causes the loading system to choke hard:

@PART[HGR_FG90_Engine]:FOR[RealPlume]:NEEDS[SmokeScreen] //FG90 - HGR
{
        localPosition = 0,0,0-0.1          //Any offset needed
}

Yeah, you're right. I realized that immediately after my pull request was accepted and fixed it but the mod owner has yet to accept it. I apologize!

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, StevieC said:

Any status-report on this?

The functionality is there (and live on the repo, so you can grab the master copy and play with HGR in 1.1), but everything needs to be tagged, and I need to figure out part test contract configuration as well.  I'm open to receive pull requests, because otherwise the work is getting done when I feel like it, which is not often.

I felt like getting all the tagging done today.  I've also gone ahead and nicknamed the engines -- what do people think of "Grizzly", "Sunbear", and "Teddy" (since the parts are themed after Russian rockets)?  I hope it's clear which name should go with which engine.

HGR Community Fixes 1.3 "Naming Day" is here!

• Fixed cost changes of life support patch to accommodate the updated price of USI-LS supplies. Note that, because this change was made in a CRP update for 1.1, this and subsequent versions of HGR Community Fixes are not compatible with KSP 1.0.4 or 1.0.5.
  • Added a patch to delete RPM internal elements when RPM is not present, to reduce grumbling in the log.
  • Added a patch to rebalance the mass of the fairings and fix the Heavy LES tower.
  • Added support for BahamutoD's Animated Engines. (It's a bit late, since BDAnimationModules needs updating for 1.1, but we're ready when it is!)
  • Added tags and part test constraints, and nicknamed the engines ("Grizzly", "Sunbear", and "Teddy")
  • Made SoyJuice solar panels non-retractable (and added a warning to their description).

In addition to the stock tags (and "hgr"), I've also tagged the capsules with their real-world counterparts -- e.g. "soy" (or Soyuz, or Soyjuice) and "gemini".

Good Morning everyone, Sorry if this is already been addressed but the Spud is burning up so fast on re-entry!  Even in a gentle profile, POOF!  Tried editing the ablator to 200 but when its coming down, its still showing 50 then POOF!  Thanks for all yoiur help keeping this mod alive :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.