[1.6-1.9] HGR Community Fixes: Home-Grown Fixes for Home-Grown Rockets v1.7.0 (02019 Nov 12)

Kerbas_ad_astra

HGR Community Fixes

Home-Grown Fixes for Home-Grown Rockets.

HGR Community Fixes logo

Features

I've been singing the praises of Orionkermin's Home Grown Rockets for a long time. The jump from Size 1 to Size 2 parts is extremely steep -- a fourfold increase in thrust and an eightfold increase in mass. Having a set of intermediate 1.875m parts and 2-seater command pods really helps smooth things out. Orion hasn't had time to develop HGR since late 2015, but he's opened up the license so that I can adopt it and keep it ticking along in the future of KSP.

In addition to updating his parts for KSP 1.2+, I've made a few additions:

• A new "Garlic" supply pod, to supplement the Lima. If you have KIS, it will have some "dry inventory" space.
    • If you have a life support addon installed (ECLSS, IFILS, Ioncross, Snacks!, TAC-LS, or USI-LS), the Garlic, Daikon, and Edamame service modules will include some extra supplies.
    • Even if you don't have those mods, the Garlic pod has SAS level 3, to help with docking.
  • A fully-staffed Pumpkin pod or suitably-staffed Leek laboratory can be used to provide control of probes. (With one hop.)
  • Engine patches for the Edamame service module. If BahamutoD's Animated Engines or Nertea's Deployable Engines is installed, the Edamame service module's engine cover will automatically respond to the activation and deactivation of the engine.
  • Support for Community Tech Tree.
  • WindowShine reflections for the solar panels (getting shiny windows requires modifications to the textures themselves, which is not in my expertise).

Dependencies

HGR Community Fixes depends on Module Manager for mod support.

Recommended addons

If you're going to use 1.875m parts, you might as well get Filter Extension so that the "size1p5" category gets a proper icon and description in the "Filter by Cross-Section" menu.

Suggested addons

Crawling through the part configs and weeding out years' worth of accumulated cruft got me thinking about alternatives. I love the "Pumpkin" 2-seater lander can too much to give up on HGR just yet, but in case an update lands that breaks HGR's parts completely (or I just get tired of making config repairs), here are a couple of other addons which add 1.875m parts:

• Socke's extension only has fuel tanks and separators/decouplers, and Socke hasn't been around since October 2015 either. Thankfully, Merill has made an update for 1.0.x.
  • Angel-125's Mark One Laboratory Extension has lots more Gemini-based hardware. It doesn't have a 2-seater lander can, but it has pretty much everything else -- labs, habs, wet workshops, and more!

Download and install

From there, just unzip the "HGR" folder into your GameData directory. Be sure to delete any HGR, HGR_Redux and HGRCommunityFixes folders first if you're updating from pre-1.5.2 versions!

Version history and changelog

• 2016 02 06 (1.0): Initial release.
  • 2016 02 14 (1.1): Vegetable Gardening
    • Docking port, tech tree, and Windowshine patches added.
    • ASET IVAs for SoyJuice, Onion, and Leek pods.
  • 2016 02 15 (1.1.1): Bugfixes
    • Removed ASET IVA files (they need more attention)
    • Added some cost updates to the LS patches (the cost of a part is its "wet cost", so when resources are added, the cost has to be increased as well).
  • 2016 03 01 (1.2): Heat Treatment
    • Re-balanced the thermal properties of the engines. They should now be no more prone to overheating than stock engines.
    • Fixed Radish and Spud heat shield patches to stop them from turning black when ablated.
    • Fixed lab patch (thanks speedwaystar!)
  • 2016 04 27 (1.3): Naming Day
    • Fixed cost changes of life support patch to accommodate the updated price of USI-LS supplies. Note that, because this change was made in a CRP update for 1.1, this and subsequent versions of HGR Community Fixes are not compatible with KSP 1.0.4 or 1.0.5.
    • Added a patch to delete RPM internal elements when RPM is not present, to reduce grumbling in the log.
    • Added a patch to rebalance the mass of the fairings and fix the Heavy LES tower.
    • Added support for BahamutoD's Animated Engines. (It's a bit late, since BDAnimationModules needs updating for 1.1, but we're ready when it is!)
    • Added tags and part test constraints, and nicknamed the engines ("Grizzly", "Sunbear", and "Teddy")
    • Made SoyJuice solar panels non-retractable (and added a warning to their description).
  • 2016 05 28 (1.3.1): Seared Tubers
    • Updated thermal values of crew pods.
    • Fixed a couple of tags.
  • 2016 06 26 (1.4): Ogres are like Garlics
    • New G4-LK "Garlic" supply module to ease the overstuffing of the Lima. Note that the Lima no longer has life-support or KIS inventory storage -- that's been moved into the Garlic capsule.
    • Added support for DeployableEngines (Nertea's plugin used for e.g. Cryogenic Engines).
    • Fixed some spelling in part descriptions.
    • Re-titled HGR's 1.875m fairing, to distinguish it from MOLE's.
  • 2016 09 10 (1.4.1): Remote Control
    • Removed the RT patch (it's in RT now). Therefore, this and subsequent versions of HGR Community Fixes are not compatible with KSP 1.1.0-2.
    • Added a texture-name-fixing patch.
    • License changed to GNU GPL v3 (or later).
  • 2016 10 12 (1.5): Plus Ultra
    • Updated for KSP 1.2:
      • AntennaRange patch removed. (Since AntennaRange is superseded by the stock CommNet.)
      • CommNet and KerbNet support added.
      • New RCS plume and sound effects added to RCS parts.
  • 02016 10 29 (1.5.1): Transform and Deploy
    • Fixed transform references for solar panel/antenna.
    • Updated Edamame service module to ModuleEnginesFX.
    • Moved parts to new categories (Engine, FuelTank, Coupling, Thermal, Payload, Electrical)
  • 02017 06 17 (1.5.2): 20% Draggier
    • Integrated HGR_Redux and HGRCommunityFixes parts and patches into the HGR folder (so delete your HGR, HGR_Redux, and HGRCommunityFixes folders when updating to this version). Many thanks to Orionkermin for relaxing the license of the parts, and to linuxgurugamer for integrating the patches!
    • Increased the drag of the Spud pod to give it a subsonic terminal velocity.
  • 02018 03 23 (1.6.0): Glasnost
    • Updated for KSP 1.4:
      • Parts now support KSP's internationalization/localization system. (Thanks to @ihsoft for the automatic localization software!)
      • Fairing incorporates auto-trusses and color switching.
    • G4-LK supply module now has a more proper texture. (Based on the Onions.)
    • Heat shield fixed to actually protect the descent capsule.
    • Small inline parachute deployment speed slowed.
    • Thanks to Pand5461 for a few suggestions. Those I accepted include:
      • Increased battery capacity of Daikon service module.
      • Several capsule masses reduced (especially Soy-Juice).
    • Thanks to @Mihara for a couple of suggestions:
      • Slightly more inventory volume in the Garlic pod (so you can fit a container in a container).
      • Onion capsules now include life support recycler and habitation functionality (USI-LS).
    • Tank balance pass (including service modules) -- tanks no longer contain more fuel than their physical volumes.
  • 02018 Nov 03 (1.6.1): Comrade Ogilvy
    • Changing the internal name of the 1.875m fairings from "fairingSize1.5" to "fairingSize1p5HGR", to avoid any possible confusion with the Making History "fairingSize1p5" in Module Manager patches. The "fairingSize1.5" part still exists, but it's been marked as "TechHidden" like the stock Mk1-2 Pod and other parts to be deprecated, and it will be removed in the next release of HGR.
    • Made the Lima pod a recolor of the Soy-Juice capsule. Recolored the Garlic pod to match.
  • 02018 Nov 03 (1.6.2): Orange You Glad
    • Added fairing color options to Heavy LES tower.
  • 02019 Nov 12 (1.7.0): To Protect The Lifecycle
    • Fully removed "fairingSize1.5" part (under that name -- fairingSize1p5HGR has the exact same model, just a new internal name to prevent confusion with Making History's "fairingSize1p5" in patches).
    • Updated USI-LS patch for USI-LS 1.1. That update was made for KSP 1.6, so this and subsequent versions of HGR Community Fixes are not compatible with KSP 1.4 or 1.5
    • Disabled Landertron patch (Landertron's model is too simplified and conservative to work well when the capsule is descending slowly under its parachute).

Roadmap

Take the handles and windows off of the 'Lima' and 'Garlic' modules. (First I have to learn how to modify part models.)

Credits

Thanks to speedwaystar for the Windowshine patch, and for contributing to the tech tree and docking port patches, rasta013 for contributing to the lab patch, fatbrother for the fairing mass fix, pacbard for contributing to the engine patch, Sp4C3M0nk3Y for the ASET IVAs, and ZentroCatson for contributing to the KIS patch.

And of course, thanks are owed to OrionKermin for HGR itself! We wouldn't have anything to fix if not for him. 😉

License

HGR Community Fixes is copyright 2016-2018 Kerbas_ad_astra, based on HGR/Home Grown Rockets by Orionkermin. Models and textures are released under CC-BY-SA (v4.0). Patch files are released under the GPL v3 license (or any later version). Any redistributions must use a different name and folder (per section 7c). All other rights (e.g. the HGR Community Fixes logo) reserved.

Edited by Kerbas_ad_astra
Version 1.7.0

All the rep to you, good sir. This was something that was greatly needed.

Edit: Could we possibly get some Keepfit and Community Tech Tree configs in there as well? Also seconding the request for Real Plume configs.

Edited by GreenWolf

11 hours ago, GreenWolf said:

Could we possibly get some Keepfit and Community Tech Tree configs in there as well? Also seconding the request for Real Plume configs.

I think it would be better to contribute those configs to Keepfit and RealPlume themselves, since they include patches for other mods they support.  I'm mostly shipping fixes to repair functionality or balance, trying not to overlap with patches that other mods may supply, since I don't know what other mods do or don't support HGR.  I know that AntennaRange does not ship with patches for other mod antennas, and none of the life support addons will add supplies to service modules that don't have crew capacity, so I'm okay with including those patches.  I only included the RT patch since it was already published in the HGR thread, though I see that RT does include patches for most other mods with antennas, so maybe I should take it out of these fixes and toss it into the RT repo -- is that alright with you, @speedwaystar?  Since the Deadly Reentry patch depends on the fixes I've made to the stock heat shield functionality, I will keep that patch here.

As for Community Tech Tree, what parts are you looking to move around?  I use CTT, and as far as I can tell, its main function is to expand and extend the stock tech tree.  Since HGR fits in among the 1.25 and 2.5 meter parts, it seems to me that it's already amply covered by the stock tree.

48 minutes ago, Kerbas_ad_astra said:

I think it would be better to contribute those configs to Keepfit and RealPlume themselves, since they include patches for other mods they support.  I'm mostly shipping fixes to repair functionality or balance, trying not to overlap with patches that other mods may supply, since I don't know what other mods do or don't support HGR.  I know that AntennaRange does not ship with patches for other mod antennas, and none of the life support addons will add supplies to service modules that don't have crew capacity, so I'm okay with including those patches.  I only included the RT patch since it was already published in the HGR thread, though I see that RT does include patches for most other mods with antennas, so maybe I should take it out of these fixes and toss it into the RT repo -- is that alright with you, @speedwaystar?  Since the Deadly Reentry patch depends on the fixes I've made to the stock heat shield functionality, I will keep that patch here.

As for Community Tech Tree, what parts are you looking to move around?  I use CTT, and as far as I can tell, its main function is to expand and extend the stock tech tree.  Since HGR fits in among the 1.25 and 2.5 meter parts, it seems to me that it's already amply covered by the stock tree.

Keepfit's support for other mods appears to be spotty at best, although I suppose you are correct that the burden of patching lies on them.

As for CTT, I'm playing with several other part mods installed, and one of the things I noticed is that you end up unlocking about a dozen different capsules at once in one of the command module nodes, many of them for HGR. I was mostly hoping to see those sparts spread out a bit more so there's more of a progression, although as I think about this, it looks to be more and more of an issue with the combination of mods I'm using, and not necessarily an issue with HGR.

13 hours ago, Kerbas_ad_astra said:

is that alright with you, @speedwaystar?  Since the Deadly Reentry patch depends on the fixes I've made to the stock heat shield functionality, I will keep that patch here.

absolutely. please do! i've shot you pull request for some additional module manager tweaks for various things (specifically, CLS, CTT, WindowShine and a tweak to make it easier to attach the docking port to radial nodes such as those on the Cx Station Parts).

Edited by speedwaystar

CLS already has a less-than-complete HGR config (I've got a PR in to add more parts, and I'll toss some of your patch onto that pile), and I'm not going to include a blank internal_RPM2.txt (the "stock" one is harmless), so I'm not going to accept the PR directly, but I'll probably add the rest manually.  I'll need to do some thinking about the CTT patch, since I'm not quite sold on splitting up the SoyJuice system, but we'll see.

(I've also tossed a PR with an HGR config into KeepFit.)

@pacbard, I'll need to test the antenna in stock.  Nothing seems immediately wrong with its configuration, which is about the only thing I can fix, but I'll do what I can.

I've pulled in a few more patches from various folks -- @speedwaystar's tech tree, Windowshine, and docking port configs, and @Sp4C3M0nk3Y's ASET Props IVAs.  The configs are live on the GitHub repo, and since I don't use ASET Props myself, I'd appreciate some eyes on those IVAs to check Sp4C3M0nk3Y's and my work (in case the configs got garbled in the PM-to-cfg transition).  If no errors are reported, I'll zip everything up into a proper release tomorrow.

Also, the KeepFit config was accepted, so its next release should support HGR.  I've had a PR to CLS open for a while, and I've added a couple of parts from speedwaystar's patch to it.  I've also made a PR to RemoteTech; when they accept it and make a new release, I'll take the RT config out of this pack of patches.

A quick bug-fix update -- get it from GitHub:

• Removed ASET IVA files (they need more attention)
  • Added some cost updates to the LS patches (the cost of a part is its "wet cost", so when resources are added, the cost has to be increased as well).

@pacbard, I just tested HGR on my test install (without AR or RT), and was able to transmit science successfully with the solar panel (even when toggling the panel during the transmission).  I know that 1.0.5 changed the way science was handled, which caused trouble for ScienceAlert and other science-handling mods; are you using any of those mods, and have you updated them?  (ScienceAlert in particular has not had an official 1.0.5 release, so if you use that one, make sure you've gotten the unofficial update.)

Edited by Kerbas_ad_astra

I haven't encountered any difficulties.  I'm not aware of (at least, I haven't used) any HGR parts which are concave -- the only ones that come to mind are some of the cargo bay and shroud models from e.g. Modular Rocket Systems, SDHI, and the "doughnut" fuel tank from Dr. Jet's Chop Shop.  There's a LES tower which has a procedural shroud coming down from the top, which is kind of strange, but I've not used it so I don't know if it misbehaves.

• 2 weeks later...

Never mind, found it. It seems the HGR capsules turn blacker the more ablator gets, uhm, ablated? I'm using the Radish in a context where it doesn't need any ablator, so I removed it to save on mass. Could someone perhaps kindly direct me to the correct place to disable that "feature"?

/edit:

Spoiler

I encountered a weird phenomenon recently.

The Radish capsule is always completely pitch-black in flight (as opposed to the VAB/SPH, where the texture shows up fine). The texture logs as successfully loaded, and if it was not being applied to the model, the capsule would show up white-grey-ish instead of black, right? Also, sometimes, once in a blue moon, the capsule displays just fine right after quickload during the short moment before physics kicks in - then it goes right back to being pitch black.

I didn't have any problems when I last used the Radish (already on 1.0.5 and using the 1.1 community fix of course). But since then, I updated a ton of mods. It will be a major pain eliminating all of those as the cause without so much as a clue where to even start. Also, I tried to reproduce the issue with a new career game (exact same GameData folder), but couldn't. It seems to just affect my current game.

Any ideas what could be causing this?

Edited by MaxRebo
see spoiler...

Has anyone else had a problem with the FG-90 overheating when used in the center of a cluster? I tend to make my rockets Soyuz-style, and the FG-90 is the most powerful engine I have in career right now, but I can't ever seem to use its full potential because the core stage engine overheats and explodes before using all its fuel.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.