'Voyager' The Biggest KSP movie EVER

ThePULSAR

I am in two minds about this thing. I think a kickstarter for something like this is madness and just a greedy money grabbing exercise. They will monatise the video too no doubt so no way in hell I am sending them any money.

Secondly, 45 minutes?? That is WAY too long for a game video. Also calling it 'the cinematic of the decade'...

Also, also they are making DVD cases for this?? That is some major ego trip..

Edited by Majorjim

3 minutes ago, Majorjim said:

I am in two minds about this thing. I think a kickstarter for something like this is madness and just a greedy money grabbing exercise. They will monatise the video too no doubt so no way in hell I am sending them any money.

Secondly, 45 minutes?? That is WAY too long for a game video. Also calling it 'the cinematic of the decade'...

No not this one.this movie took the team a whole year to create and it is voiced.45 minutes actually is a bit short for a film 

2 minutes ago, Aperture Science said:

I don't think that it will be 100% KSP, IIRC some of Nassault's trailers were about our real planets...

Not Entirely KSP footage I think but it still feature some of it 

Edited by ThePULSAR

3 hours ago, ThePULSAR said:

No not this one.this movie took the team a whole year to create and it is voiced.45 minutes actually is a bit short for a film 

Not Entirely KSP footage I think but it still feature some of it 

Good bit more than a year.

@ThePULSAR I've know about this for a while, and I *still* cannot find any way to purchase this.  I've followed your link, kickstarter, which does not allow to purchase after the original deadline (stupid but whatever).  I've even left a comment to Nassault on his channel, no answer.   I wanted to have the physical goodies that came with it to watch it on my TV.

Oh well, there's at least YouTube, eventually.

6 hours ago, Majorjim said:

I am in two minds about this thing. I think a kickstarter for something like this is madness and just a greedy money grabbing exercise. They will monetise the video too no doubt so no way in hell I am sending them any money.

Nassault and Rareden actually needed the money from the Kickstarter to finance hardware for the film's CGI, youtube revenue is shockingly less than you'd imagine; I don't think they'll really be making much of a profit from the film. Despite this you'd be surprised regarding the quality of the film, check out the previews on Nassault's channel, it's not exactly a game cinematic. The idea is to make it a cinematic documentary about space exploration whilst telling a story in KSP. The DVDs were needed as some sort of reward for the Kickstarter backers.

Edited by HatBat

5 minutes ago, HatBat said:

The DVDs were needed as some sort of reward for the Kickstarter backers.

In fact we kind of forced him to provide them. The initial kickstarter had only a few "rewards" (the two dvds + storyboard art) which sold out really fast. They only asked for $100 total. When we badgered Nassault about adding more DVDs and other rewards he added the other options and we pledged the $1500 because we wanted to support it despite them asking for only $100.

It's got nothing to do with ego. They decided to make a full film, needed some funds to do so, and we chose to fund this project more than what was needed.

Just now, HatBat said:

Nassault and Rareden actually needed the money from the Kickstarter to finance hardware for the film's CGI, youtube revenue is shockingly less than you'd imagine; I don't think they'll really be making much of a profit from the film. Despite this you'd be surprised regarding the quality of the film, check out the previews on Nassault's channel, it's not exactly a game cinematic. The idea is to make it a cinematic documentary about space exploration whilst telling a story in KSP. The DVDs were needed as some sort of reward for the Kickstarter backers.

How do you know they needed hardware? And if so what exactly?

Edited by Majorjim

9 minutes ago, Majorjim said:

Filmmakers, especially animators, pretty much always need new software. Unless you're working at a super high-tech VFX company, you're basically pushing whatever machine you own to the limit all the time and better hardware makes things go faster. The trouble is, as soon as you have better hardware to make shots render faster, you find ways of adding more detail or better lighting or more accurate shadows which push the render time up again and once again you're pushing against the boundaries of what your hardware can handle. I upgraded the computer I use a while back and it now renders 8x faster than the old rig, yet my average render time per shot has gone UP since then because the additional power my computer has lets me create more complex shots in the first place. It's a vicious cycle. Even big studios have that problem; one of the shots in the 3rd Transformers movie took 100 hours to render... per frame. 

Honestly I don't see anything wrong with asking for money to do something which takes a lot of time and effort. A 45 minute long movie is no small project. If this were in any medium other than CGI/machinima I bet people would have no problem with it whatsoever. Why should people work for free? 

1 hour ago, Majorjim said:

I'm aware because I know Nassault. I'm pretty sure they've announced it publicly too on a few occasions, maybe even in their initial Kickstarter pitch.

8 hours ago, Majorjim said:

1. Basically everything everyone else said about software, etc.

2. It's not just KSP.  Have you seen any of the teasers?  The majority of them show the actual Voyager.  It covers both Voyager and the first interstellar Kerbal.

1 minute ago, Majorjim said:

LOL he is making it of his own volition! Damn straight he should do it for free!

So... people can't ask for money for creating a product? If you make something yourself you have to do it for free? You can't sell it or ask for money for it? So everyone on YouTube who uses Patreon or Kickstarter or IndieGoGo or monetises their videos should just do it for free? Say I made some lemonade of my own volition, and I set up a stand for it, I should just give it away for free? No, actually, a better analogy would be: suppose I were to spend a lot of money and almost a year of my time making a whole load of amazing lemonade, and during the course of that time I had to hire other people to help me and purchase equipment, and at the end of it I allowed everyone who turned up to the stall to taste it for free, I shouldn't be allowed to let people pay money for a little extra lemonade in a fancy bottle to help cover the costs of hiring people and buying equipment and a whole load of lemons? 

Your argument literally makes no sense. Because he made it for himself he should do it for free...? What planet are you living on?

Hey! Picasso! You made that painting of your own volition! How dare you sell it for money! 

36 minutes ago, Majorjim said:

LOL he is making it of his own volition! Damn straight he should do it for free!

@benjee10 already did a good enough job explaining why that's a ridiculous idea, but I want to point out that the film is going to be released for free, and all of Nassault's and Rareden's previous works have been released for free on youtube/the forum ("But youtube isn't free! It has ads! They still make money!" Did you have to exchange money for it? No? So you didn't pay for it? That's pretty much the definition of free.) If you don't want to voluntarily support an artist nobody is saying you have to. Nobody was coerced into giving anyone money. Nobody is holding anything behind a paywall. So I really don't see what the big deal is?

Somebody spent a lot of time creating something cool, so people gave them some money to help them create it. In exchange they get a few more things than the people who didn't pay anything, like a physical copy of the cool thing.

It's honestly more "free" than, say, KSP. Where some people spent a lot of time making something cool and forced people to pay money to be allowed to use it. Is Squad somehow in the wrong for selling their product? Why is an artist getting donations/selling dvd versions of a film somehow wrong?

I Think its damn well sad to see some negativity in this thread..

Nassault's work brought me to KSP, his JEB movie elevated KSP from cutesy muppet looking green things to kill in the demo.. To the more correctly seen blank canvas of which awesomeness can be achieved both in an engineering sense and emotionally

The KERBAL movie changed KSP further still.. Showcasing kerbins beauty not as a green blob on water under a spacebound rocket but as somewhere truly worth while to be explored upclose and personal..

Starstuff and jool also rank in the top 5 machinema movies ive ever seen..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_Q03O-F4fE

The negative tones suggest those with such narrow viewpoints havent ever seen this mans great work and just came here to complain in matters unrelated much like the PS4 and Xbox threads...

Or... Possibly have the emotional spectrum and humanity level of a common housebrick!

Hes an absolute master of kerbalised emotion and drama.. Someone whos skills should be respected for what theyve done for KSP as a whole and by association the community too..

Hes making another movie.. Great..

Its well known to those who follow his movies that the hardware used is aging..as is KSPs system requirements and thats before the whole CGI aspect is even considered..hes asked for donations before

Without his impressive work.. Alot of KSP would be less inspired and lack feelings associated with viewers seeing a movie of his then wanting to relive it themselves..

Personally as im sure its well known..my elcano challenge and associated train madness thats become its own thing...all started with the seeds of nassaults work on my mind... And damn well it didnt disapoint..becoming the best gaming experience in modern times for me... I dare say many feel the same..

Inspiration brings wonderful things that might have never been found without it

I think the voyager movie might do the same for others

It all deserves to be admired..encouraged and thanked.. Both the movie itself..KSPs inclusion and the man himself

Give it the respect it deserves 

Edit: can I loan a 44 class for a scene? ;)

Edit 2: ohhhh..scott manly.. Well someone else fill in the good people on how awesome he is too.. +1 everything i said about nassault applies too :) 

Edited by Overland

12 hours ago, magico13 said:

@benjee10 already did a good enough job explaining why that's a ridiculous idea, but I want to point out that the film is going to be released for free, and all of Nassault's and Rareden's previous works have been released for free on youtube/the forum ("But youtube isn't free! It has ads! They still make money!" Did you have to exchange money for it? No? So you didn't pay for it? That's pretty much the definition of free.) If you don't want to voluntarily support an artist nobody is saying you have to. Nobody was coerced into giving anyone money. Nobody is holding anything behind a paywall. So I really don't see what the big deal is?

Somebody spent a lot of time creating something cool, so people gave them some money to help them create it. In exchange they get a few more things than the people who didn't pay anything, like a physical copy of the cool thing.

It's honestly more "free" than, say, KSP. Where some people spent a lot of time making something cool and forced people to pay money to be allowed to use it. Is Squad somehow in the wrong for selling their product? Why is an artist getting donations/selling dvd versions of a film somehow wrong?

Ahh, that makes more sense. If copies of the film were to be sold, that did sound like it might have made things a bit more complicated in terms of using Squad's IP. Not that it's any business of mine (and I'm sure Scott, Rareden and Nassault would have it covered anyway) but it did raise a mental red flag as a possible spoiler for the project.

As it is, all power to those who put their hands in their pockets and helped make this happen, at least on any sort of reasonable timescale. I agree with @benjee10 and @magico13 - this is voluntary patronage of a pair of artists and, provided that said patrons are quite clear about what they're getting into (which I have no reason to think was a problem here), is a good thing.

Full disclosure - I did not contribute to the Voyager kickstarter but I have backed other projects through Patreon. Having said that, I've thoroughly enjoyed Nassault and Rareden's shorter works and am very much looking forward to seeing Voyager!

On 2/7/2016 at 3:51 PM, benjee10 said:

Filmmakers, especially animators, pretty much always need new software. Unless you're working at a super high-tech VFX company, you're basically pushing whatever machine you own to the limit all the time and better hardware makes things go faster. The trouble is, as soon as you have better hardware to make shots render faster, you find ways of adding more detail or better lighting or more accurate shadows which push the render time up again and once again you're pushing against the boundaries of what your hardware can handle. I upgraded the computer I use a while back and it now renders 8x faster than the old rig, yet my average render time per shot has gone UP since then because the additional power my computer has lets me create more complex shots in the first place. It's a vicious cycle. Even big studios have that problem; one of the shots in the 3rd Transformers movie took 100 hours to render... per frame. 

Honestly I don't see anything wrong with asking for money to do something which takes a lot of time and effort. A 45 minute long movie is no small project. If this were in any medium other than CGI/machinima I bet people would have no problem with it whatsoever. Why should people work for free? 

If you can't manage quality while staying within a budget, then you are going to lose money, just like the rest of the commercial and industrialized world. Risk vs reward and all that.

Side note - I hope this project succeeds. I really like Raredon's work.

Edited by Otis

• 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.