'Voyager' The Biggest KSP movie EVER

ThePULSAR

On 3/16/2016 at 1:59 PM, HoloYolo said:

Yes, all  Nassault fans live in Belgium, so it's a great place to show it. It's not like he has accounts on Youtube or Vimeo.

It will more than likely be released to Youtube simultaneously.  No reason to be hating because he opts to display a major work of his on a big screen somewhere.

I really hope it has some good content. Most of his videos are slow-mo sweeping shots and nothing else. It gets dull after a while. I would like to see him using, thinking of some other film making techniques. Is he a film student?

On 03/16/2016 at 8:59 PM, HoloYolo said:

Yes, all  Nassault fans live in Belgium, so it's a great place to show it. It's not like he has accounts on Youtube or Vimeo.

The decision is odd. I can only assume it is a way of getting a 'film festival' tag on the title screen for future viewings..

That and I guess the hope it will win an award there.

On 02/08/2016 at 1:19 AM, magico13 said:

@benjee10 already did a good enough job explaining why that's a ridiculous idea, but I want to point out that the film is going to be released for free, and all of Nassault's and Rareden's previous works have been released for free on youtube/the forum ("But youtube isn't free! It has ads! They still make money!" Did you have to exchange money for it? No? So you didn't pay for it? That's pretty much the definition of free.) If you don't want to voluntarily support an artist nobody is saying you have to. Nobody was coerced into giving anyone money. Nobody is holding anything behind a paywall. So I really don't see what the big deal is?

Somebody spent a lot of time creating something cool, so people gave them some money to help them create it. In exchange they get a few more things than the people who didn't pay anything, like a physical copy of the cool thing.

It's honestly more "free" than, say, KSP. Where some people spent a lot of time making something cool and forced people to pay money to be allowed to use it. Is Squad somehow in the wrong for selling their product? Why is an artist getting donations/selling dvd versions of a film somehow wrong?

Then why argue against my point?

Releasing it on Youtube is awesome becasue it is free for us the viewer. I just think making a hobby project like this and asking for money is in very poor taste. This is just my opinion.

My issue is the kickstarter and the 'cost pennies' cheap DVD. I just don't agree with it. It is a hobby project nothing more. They all have day jobs that pay the bills. The augment that you made it and should charge money is patently ridiculous. As I said they have day jobs and will make money from the youtube views. Of which there will be MILLIONS.

10 hours ago, Majorjim said:

Releasing it on Youtube is awesome becasue it is free for us the viewer. I just think making a hobby project like this and asking for money is in very poor taste. This is just my opinion.

My issue is the kickstarter and the 'cost pennies' cheap DVD. I just don't agree with it. It is a hobby project nothing more. They all have day jobs that pay the bills. The augment that you made it and should charge money is patently ridiculous. As I said they have day jobs and will make money from the youtube views. Of which there will be MILLIONS.

News flash.  Most successful artists, actors, writers or whatever started out by creating stuff whilst having a day job to pay the bills. The idea that none of them should have had the temerity to want to make money from their creative efforts is equally ridiculous.

Declaring something to be a 'hobby project' and by implication, financially worthless is patronising and in very poor taste. But that's just my opinion.

Also, this 'hobby project' which you deem to be unworthy of people's money is somehow also good enough to net millions of YouTube views. If you're going to be quite so spectacularly arrogant and condescending then you could at least do us all a favour and try to be coherent too.

But that's just my opinion too.

Edited by KSK

12 hours ago, samstarman5 said:

It will more than likely be released to Youtube simultaneously.  No reason to be hating because he opts to display a major work of his on a big screen somewhere.

Sarcasm can be interpreted in many ways but in no way was I hating. I just found it weird that he chose Belgium out of all places and I tried to add humor to it but I got salt instead.

5 hours ago, spink00 said:

It tickles me when people ask for money for derivative works.

Odd - it tends to hearten me. It implies that the creator of the derivative work has reached an amicable arrangement with the creator of the original. In this particular case, it heartens me that people are still prepared to pay for something they value or even to donate a little extra to help make something happen that might not otherwise have happened.

More generally, 'derivative works' can be bloody good stories or films or other adaptations in their own right and I see no reason to be sniffy about them. Apologies if that wasn't your intent but it did sound like it to me at any rate

32 minutes ago, KSK said:

it heartens me that people are still prepared to pay for something they value or even to donate a little extra to help make something happen that might not otherwise have happened

Yes... because Nassault is incapable of producing those trailers... and all those other movies... without money... money he plans to make from somebody else's main idea...

The creators have given people who wish to contribute financially a way to do so, but are still providing the content to everyone free of charge. Despite pleasing everyone, apparently, you really can't please everyone.

Trailer looks pretty neat too.

Edited by Randazzo

Although I am against any inclusion of the human race into any plotline involving KSP, the movie looks pretty good and it's a concept that's interesting; I could definitely see this going somewhere.  The creators of this movie are doing nothing wrong by creating a Kickstarter.  Yes, they can back it themselves, but they're people with jobs and families and outside obligations to KSP, and they aren't forcing anyone to donate.  

Edited by Butterbar

17 hours ago, Majorjim said:

What have you got against Nassault? Have you ever seen "Jool" or "Pale Blue Dot"? It's really kinda moving!

5 hours ago, spink00 said:

Yes... because Nassault is incapable of producing those trailers... and all those other movies... without money... money he plans to make from somebody else's main idea...

Thank you for deleting the first part of my post which was included to address this very point. I'm presuming that either Squad are well aware of Voyager and have not objected to it or, more likely, that Nassault has cleared it with them first. In either case, if Squad aren't concerned about anyone making money from their IP then frankly, neither should anybody else. And if I'm talking out of my hat here then whatever the actual situation is is still a matter between Squad, Nassault and anyone who chose to participate in the Kickstarter. Everyone else - none of our business.

Besides, if other people on this thread are correct then yes, Nassault would have been incapable of producing this movie, at least as currently planned or in any sort of reasonable timescale. New hardware doesn't buy itself. 

Lastly, I'm not sure what you mean by the 'main idea' here but as far as I know, Voyager includes plenty of original material too and if it is successful (which I hope it is), I suspect a lot of that success will come from having Nassault's name attached to it.

12 hours ago, KSK said:

Thank you for deleting the first part of my post which was included to address this very point. I'm presuming that either Squad are well aware of Voyager and have not objected to it or, more likely, that Nassault has cleared it with them first.

Squad's permission isn't the issue. Nassault is perfectly capable of making his own idea, yet he uses KSP and crosses it over with humans. 

Fanfiction making money is a ridiculous idea to me. 

In either case, if Squad aren't concerned about anyone making money from their IP then frankly, neither should anybody else.

It's not Squad's case in particular; it's fan labor in general that makes money (notice how I said derivative works) that bothers me. Taking somebody else's creative effort and turning it into a sizable portion of a derivative work, then proceeding to get paid, is laughable. 

12 hours ago, KSK said:

I suspect a lot of that success will come from having Nassault's name attached to it.

Out of Nassault's top 15 most viewed videos, 9 of them are Kerbal Space Program related. The one at the top of that list is a Kerbal Space Program video. If having his name attached to something equals fame, a nice portion of that fame is Squad's.

This is going too far... If this argument does not stop, this thread will likely be locked.

People who are opposed to him having a kickstarter campaign for it: Just don't back it. It's very simple. Ranting about it on the forums will not change anybody's mind.

People who are for him having a kickstarter campaign: By all means support him if you can. This looks like it's going to be good. But please, keep quiet about it. Even if you perfectly refute their arguments, it won't stop them.

People who are legitimately looking for information, or offering support: Good! Although a thousand posts of, "Wow, this looks cool!" doesn't mean much.

Thank you.

2 hours ago, spink00 said:

Squad's permission isn't the issue. Nassault is perfectly capable of making his own idea, yet he uses KSP and crosses it over with humans. 

Fanfiction making money is a ridiculous idea to me. 

It's not Squad's case in particular; it's fan labor in general that makes money (notice how I said derivative works) that bothers me. Taking somebody else's creative effort and turning it into a sizable portion of a derivative work, then proceeding to get paid, is laughable. 

Out of Nassault's top 15 most viewed videos, 9 of them are Kerbal Space Program related. The one at the top of that list is a Kerbal Space Program video. If having his name attached to something equals fame, a nice portion of that fame is Squad's.

Squad's permission is precisely the issue for the reasons I outlined earlier. If they're OK with it then, with respect, your opinion on the matter is worth jack squat. Conversely if I'm completely wrong and Squad turn around and have Voyager taken down for whatever reason, then my opinion on the matter is likewise worth jack squat.

Regarding fan fiction, I don't believe much of it does make money, probably because a lot of it is pretty derivative and too obviously close to the source material for the fanfic writer to get away with publishing it for money. There's one notable exception I can think of but that was also extensively re-written to the extent that I suspect most people wouldn't recognise what it was a derivative of unless they were told. Derivative works in general - again, if the original author (or copyright holder - not always one and the same) is OK with it then *shrug*. I might not bother with the works personally, but I have no objection to them in principle, still less to anyone getting paid to create them. I think we need to agree to disagree on that point however.

Regarding your last point, I agree up to a point. KSP videos are hardly in short supply and most of them I probably wouldn't bother with. A Nassault KSP video on the other hand, I probably would go and watch - because I've seen his work before and I like it. The Nassault name is probably more important to me than the KSP name to me when deciding whether to watch a KSP video. I might well be an outlier there but I suspect not.

In general, I think you're overstating the importance of the original work whilst understating the creative effort that can go into a derivative work, particularly when it comes to Kerbal Space Program. KSP was (obviously) the inspiration behind Voyager and I wouldn't deny the importance of that inspiration for a minute. Likewise, I would never deny the importance of anything Squad contributes, not least the Kerbals as recognisable and popular protagonist(s), and how valuable they are as a 'hook' for Voyager.

However, for any story driven fan work, Squad only contribute so much. There really isn't much KSP canon at all beyond a collection of names (whether they be names of kerbals, rocket parts, planets or companies) and three pretty minimal characters. There's no canon for who the kerbals are, their characters and personalities, why they go to space, what they do when they're not going to space, how their space program is organised, how the rest of their world works, or anything. Therefore most of the work involved in creating that, falls on the writer of the fanwork. Therefore I think that the definition of a Derivative Work (which is always a bit blurred anyway) can get pretty tenous when we're talking about KSP.

Hence, I have even less objection than I would normally, to anyone getting paid for Voyager.

Edited by KSK

1 hour ago, spink00 said:

@KSK

I guess we will have to agree to disagree. This argument is an opinion-based one, and I've never seen someone win one of those.

Agreed - thanks for keeping it civil.

I have no problem with them asking for donations.  I have an outdated copy of Light-wave 3D animation software, and to just update the license would cost me over $700.00!!!   For a license... that's not counting how much to purchase the actual upgrade... Animating is seriously not cheap.

For that matter, if I could get away with it on here, I would be tempted to ask for donations to help me buy a new computer to use on my Emiko Station project.  Why? Because a new computer would run about a thousand dollars that I just don't have.

Yes, as artists we love what we do.... but the materials.. brushes, canvas... have you ever priced oil paints???  Or new strings or whatever for our musical instruments.... whatever the case, it costs $$$. 

Musicians, authors, painters, artists..... except for the elite 0.01% are mostly all the same... just this side of starving!

If I had it, I would donate a few $$$ to them, just because we're all in the same boat, desperately bailing out water to keep afloat.

Edited by Just Jim

Here is the Nassault's message: 

V O Y A G E R,  half documentary, half in-game (Kerbal Space Program) cinematic created by Nassault Films, follows the real events that took place during the Voyager spacecraft's "Grand Tour", beginning in the late summer of 1977. While the Voyager spacecraft embarks on its eternal journey into interstellar space, the Kerbal Space Program decides it is time for a historic mission of their own. Piloted (and narrated) by the beloved Youtube Producer Scott Manley, you'll learn about both the in-game planetary bodies, and their real-life counterparts.

It started in 2014, when one of the most common comments on my Youtube videos was "make them longer!" So here you go, this film is the product your requests! After working for nearly a year and half on the film, with just over a thousand dollars from crowd-sourcing, the film slowly came together. Since the animation team, consisting of only Isaac Cooper and myself, live in very different areas, we spent many nights chatting on Skype and sending project files. Isaac and I have never met in person, and have only met up in games, but even though we reside continents apart, our vision for romancing one of the most beautiful icons of humanity came to life. Jonathan Franklin, the musician for the project, is another team-member I've never met in person, and still, shared a similar vision. His talented and melodic harmonies remind us of the very music contained on the Voyager record. Sitting in a pub in San Francisco, with a cold pint of mead on the table, Scott Manley and I briefly discussed V O Y A G E R, among other things, and his help on the project has been outstanding. His iconic voice and character help us reflect on why we all wanted to be astronauts as kids. 

This film is the product of purely the human spirit. Despite the borders that divide the creators, and the physical limitations that keep us from collaborating in the same room, we come to conclude that creation and emotion knowns no boundaries, and like the spacecraft itself, speaks a universal language we can all understand. The full film will be available for free viewing on Youtube, because without my subscribers who have supported and inspired me, and most importantly, pushed me since 2008, V O Y A G E R simply would not be. This film is for you, by you. To the makers, all worlds, all times.

- Nassault 

http://nassault.com/

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.