Sign in to follow this  
CaptainTurbomuffin

Heat shield enable fuel crossfeed

It's what it says. Be able to enable fuel crossfeed in heat shields, just like with decouplers. Sometimes your lander is in the middle of your longish craft, and with the engines at the back, and the heat shield in the middle, you have to transfer fuel manually from the tanks at the front.

i don't think so, kinda unrealistic... no one will make fuel lines in heat shield..

Just now, Skylar' said:

i don't think so, kinda unrealistic... no one will make fuel lines in heat shield..

But this is KSP, Kerbals do as they dare!

@CaptainTurbomuffin

You can sort of have a cross feed by using cubic octagonal struts on each of the fuel tanks that you want to transfer between. They use the yellow fuel line to join up the two struts. 

3 minutes ago, worir4 said:

@CaptainTurbomuffin

You can sort of have a cross feed by using cubic octagonal struts on each of the fuel tanks that you want to transfer between. They use the yellow fuel line to join up the two struts. 

When designing my vesels, efficiency is secondary, aesthetics are primary. Those look ugly. In the end, I solved my problem with some editing, but it hurts not having a so simple option in the game, so it came to my mind to post it as a suggestion.

3 hours ago, CaptainTurbomuffin said:

When designing my vesels, efficiency is secondary, aesthetics are primary. Those look ugly. In the end, I solved my problem with some editing, but it hurts not having a so simple option in the game, so it came to my mind to post it as a suggestion.

Could you use the offset tool to clip them into the rocket?

22 hours ago, worir4 said:

@CaptainTurbomuffin

This is done on real life pods, 
http://static.origos.hu/s/img/i/1301/20130117-orion-service-module3.jpg
Look at the clamp on pod who is an cable and pipe channel. 

Adding two external fuel ducts (one forward, one backward) is my solution.

gHfY0zM.jpg

It's not completely unreasonable to have temporary holes in your heat shield. MOL in real life was going to do it (with way bigger holes even).

As I recall, some program or other actually flew a Gemini spacecraft that had the hole in the heat shield (originally for a hatch to allow crew to pass between the Gemini and a crew module that was to be attached in place of the "trunk" adapter seen in Gemini-Titan stacks).  The hole, big enough for a human in a space suit to pass through, apparently caused no problems.

That said, I'm inclined to use fuel ducts as well, in the rare case when I need to bypass a heat shield.

You could modify it with a Module Manager patch.

I couldn't find an existing one here, but you could ask someone to write one for you: