[1.2.1] SimpleConstruction - Stock rocket building v3.3

MatterBeam

y01A9en.png

Hi.

This mod aims to provide simple rocketbuilding capability to stock parts. 

New Thread

This mod is now maintained and updated by @RealGecko

Special thanks to: @maculator, @taniwha, @Eleusis La Arwall, @Badsector, @cy-one for their contributions.

Mining Ore

zqg2qcv.png

Refining Ore to Metal

R6IYn5V.png

Printing Rocketparts from Metal

jhbus6m.png

Building Rockets

6v9gwma.png

Finalize build!

nmq46HA.png

No extra parts

No RAM usage

Added functionality for the Mobile Processing Lab in the late game

Simple, configurable and adds levels of depth to the gameplay without a learning curve

Requires:

Module Manager

After testing out Extraplanetary Launchpads and Roverdude's MK/OKS, I had the idea of creating a simple, user friendly mod that would allow you to build rockets without taking a 200MB hit to RAM or having to juggle multitudes of resource pathways. If you know how to set up a drill, ISRU and a fuel tank for an Ore to Fuel conversion, then you should know how to build rockets. 

Changelog:

v3.3:
Fixed a possible Launch Clamp bug with the help of @FizzerUK

v3.2:
Implemented some efficiency suggestions by @RealGecko

v3.1:
Updated to v1.2.1 of the game.

Disclaimers:

This mod contains @taniwha's Launchpad.dll from his Extraplanetary Launchpads. This mod re-distributes InterstellarFuelSwitch by @FreeThinker.

88x31.png

This work is Licensed under a Creative Commons

Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

Edited by MatterBeam

21 hours ago, MatterBeam said:

Disclaimers:

This mod contains tanihwa's Launchpad.dll from his Extraplanetary Launchpads. This mod re-distributes InterstellarFuelSwitch by Nertea.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't IFS by FreeThinker, not Nertea? Nertea uses it extensively and has a generic MM patch for it included in one of his modes, but beyond that, I don't think Nertea develops or maintains IFS.

2 hours ago, StahnAileron said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't IFS by FreeThinker, not Nertea? Nertea uses it extensively and has a generic MM patch for it included in one of his modes, but beyond that, I don't think Nertea develops or maintains IFS.

Thank you. Corrected. 

Just now, frizzank said:

Awesome job, thanks!

You are welcome.

Quite honored to have THE frizzank, author of FASA, congratulate my work.

Updated to v0.8: Re-integrated the InterstellarFuelSwitch mod after corrections. Ore tanks should now be able to switch between ore, Metal and RocketPart capacity correctly.

Edited by MatterBeam

I just want to start by saying that I absolutely love this mod, it's exactly as streamlined as I'd wished EL was. My reason for commenting is that I'm encountering an intermittent black-screen-at-launch bug whilst using this mod, usually when I try to create a craft with a Construction Port attached via any Infernal Robotics part, but it's occurs in the absence of it too. It could also be a conflict with Kerbal Joint Reinforcement, as everything seems fine for a split second before it tries to stabilize the physics. I don't know if you've ever heard of anything similar, or if this is some conflict with the underlying EL mod, but I figured this was as good a place as any for a bug report, thanks again!   

1 hour ago, jmill050 said:

After 3 years I finally made a forum account just to thank you for this. Any chance of CKAN integration?

I ticked the 'Add to CKAN' option when uploading to Spacedock, so it should be there. However, Spacedock is a relatively new service, so it might not have put everything on CKAn yet.

Also, I'm quite honoured.

37 minutes ago, Tompete Kerman said:

I just want to start by saying that I absolutely love this mod, it's exactly as streamlined as I'd wished EL was. My reason for commenting is that I'm encountering an intermittent black-screen-at-launch bug whilst using this mod, usually when I try to create a craft with a Construction Port attached via any Infernal Robotics part, but it's occurs in the absence of it too. It could also be a conflict with Kerbal Joint Reinforcement, as everything seems fine for a split second before it tries to stabilize the physics. I don't know if you've ever heard of anything similar, or if this is some conflict with the underlying EL mod, but I figured this was as good a place as any for a bug report, thanks again!   

Very happy to hear that.

I've read that you should not put docking ports on Infernal robotics parts, period. (You'll find this info inside the Infernal Robotics thread).

Put a structural part between the docking port and the IR part.

Also, I strongly recommend adding Launch Stability Enhancers (launch clamps) to every rocket you try to build on the ground.

Thank you both, really made my day.

8 minutes ago, MatterBeam said:

I've read that you should not put docking ports on Infernal robotics parts, period. (You'll find this info inside the Infernal Robotics thread).

Put a structural part between the docking port and the IR part.

Thank you both, really made my day.

D'oh, I'd forgotten about that line in the IR thread, I installed it many mods ago. The thing is though, I tried using an Extendatron -> Cubic Octagonal Strut -> Construction Port inside of a Cargo Bay, and I got the same error. Could it be because the cubic strut was offset to the point the port was touching the extender? Or would a buffer of further non-IR parts between the extender and the port give me better luck? I'll start on some experimentation into those, but if you've any insight into it, I'd deeply appreciate it.

Thank *you*, again, even if I can't get this to work quite the way I'd envisioned, it still adds hours, if not days, if not weeks of playability to the game in a perfectly sized package.

Just out of curiosity, if I build something as a subassembly, will it appear close to/docked/attached to the node I saved the subassembly from? I ask because the experiment that caused the error that caused me to post was an attempt to build a superheavy plane to construct another plane on top of, mid flight.

46 minutes ago, Tompete Kerman said:

D'oh, I'd forgotten about that line in the IR thread, I installed it many mods ago. The thing is though, I tried using an Extendatron -> Cubic Octagonal Strut -> Construction Port inside of a Cargo Bay, and I got the same error. Could it be because the cubic strut was offset to the point the port was touching the extender? Or would a buffer of further non-IR parts between the extender and the port give me better luck? I'll start on some experimentation into those, but if you've any insight into it, I'd deeply appreciate it.

Thank *you*, again, even if I can't get this to work quite the way I'd envisioned, it still adds hours, if not days, if not weeks of playability to the game in a perfectly sized package.

Just out of curiosity, if I build something as a subassembly, will it appear close to/docked/attached to the node I saved the subassembly from? I ask because the experiment that caused the error that caused me to post was an attempt to build a superheavy plane to construct another plane on top of, mid flight.

I did an experiment where I placed the Construction port on a structural girder, then on an IR sliding rail attached to the rear of a rover. I managed to pop out a rocket without a problem.

The rocket appeared 3m away from the Construction Port, as intended. When you release it, it drops down.

My mod only really adds a simplified resource system and launchpad functionality to the small docking port. A lot of the errors you might get are due to EPL's .dll not working properly in some situations... like while still 'stowed' inside a cargo bay.

PS:  Make sure your subassembly has a root part and looks in order. I believe the EPL launchpads work like the Space Center's launchpad, as in the rocket gets spawned from the bottom-most part in the VAB and up.

Edited by MatterBeam

7 minutes ago, MatterBeam said:

The rocket appeared 3m away from the Construction Port, as intended. When you release it, it drops down.

My mod only really adds a simplified resource system and launchpad functionality to the small docking port. A lot of the errors you might get are due to EPL's .dll not working properly in some situations... like while still 'stowed' inside a cargo bay.

Okay, it's sounding like some combination of being placed in a cargo bay, and being attached to an IR part is the root of my black-screen woes. You've been endlessly helpful in clarifying this all for me. I just tried launching my constructing plane again, but with the port set on the top of the fuselage, no Extandatron or Cargo Bay, but I got the black screen again. I do have IR controlled tail fins that are meant to lay down upon deploying the built craft above it, to avoid collisions, but they're far away from the port. It still shows the plane on the runway for a split second before everything goes black just as the "KJR Stabilizing Physics Load" message pops up in the lower right, do you know of any complications/conflicts between Simple Construction/EPL and KJR? Sorry if I'm asking a lot of you, this is all just to realize my silly dream of flying a plane at supersonic speeds, spawning another plane above it, and then inadvertently and inevitably slapping them together in a game-crashing explosion. That and the self-sufficient planetary bases, self-expanding space stations, and lots else.

Another cool pie-in-the-sky idea I just had is to eventually have a mech that can use this mod to call in weapons above it and try to catch them.

6 hours ago, Tompete Kerman said:

Okay, it's sounding like some combination of being placed in a cargo bay, and being attached to an IR part is the root of my black-screen woes. You've been endlessly helpful in clarifying this all for me. I just tried launching my constructing plane again, but with the port set on the top of the fuselage, no Extandatron or Cargo Bay, but I got the black screen again. I do have IR controlled tail fins that are meant to lay down upon deploying the built craft above it, to avoid collisions, but they're far away from the port. It still shows the plane on the runway for a split second before everything goes black just as the "KJR Stabilizing Physics Load" message pops up in the lower right, do you know of any complications/conflicts between Simple Construction/EPL and KJR? Sorry if I'm asking a lot of you, this is all just to realize my silly dream of flying a plane at supersonic speeds, spawning another plane above it, and then inadvertently and inevitably slapping them together in a game-crashing explosion. That and the self-sufficient planetary bases, self-expanding space stations, and lots else.

Another cool pie-in-the-sky idea I just had is to eventually have a mech that can use this mod to call in weapons above it and try to catch them.

An entire black screen is very very weird. It might even be a graphics card driver problem.

My suggestions, in order:

-Make sure there is no 'extraplanetary launchpads' or 'USI' folder in your GameData. They both have configs and .dlls that duplicate or replace my mod.
-Test without graphics mods/without OpenGL.
-Test without KJR.
-(If nothing works) Post log and look into updating/reinstalling drivers.

Your ideas should be entirely possible. Your only limit would be frames per second, in fact.

Edited by MatterBeam

(I finally made this account just so I could ask this)

I do really want to switch from EPL to this version, but I don't want to have to start an entirely new save.

Are there incompatibility problems with having both your mod and EPL installed?  I believe it will be no easy task replacing my EPL ships with streamlined variants from this pack, but I'd like to do it in game, if possible, rather than editing files to replace ships with compatibility problems.

Edited by Hansd22

39 minutes ago, Hansd22 said:

(I finally made this account just so I could ask this)

I do really want to switch from EPL to this version, but I don't want to have to start an entirely new save.

Are there incompatibility problems with having both your mod and EPL installed?  I believe it will be no easy task replacing my EPL ships with streamlined variants from this pack, but I'd like to do it in game, if possible, rather than editing files to replace ships with compatibility problems.

If you wish to make EPL and SimpleConstruction work together, then you need to install SimpleConstruction (place it in GameData), then open it and delete everything except the 'Parts' folder.

Thanks for asking!

1 hour ago, MatterBeam said:

If you wish to make EPL and SimpleConstruction work together, then you need to install SimpleConstruction (place it in GameData), then open it and delete everything except the 'Parts' folder.

Will I still have the benefit of multipurposing the stock ore tanks?  Would it be risky for me to also include the Interstellar Fuel Switch plugin?

22 minutes ago, Hansd22 said:

Will I still have the benefit of multipurposing the stock ore tanks?  Would it be risky for me to also include the Interstellar Fuel Switch plugin?

There's a .cfg file called 'OreTanksSwitch' in the Parts folder that handles multi-resource capability for the stock Ore tanks.

As for the Interstellar Fuel Switch plugin, I thought you already had it from EPL?

Originally, InterstellarFuelSwitch.dll and InterstellarFuelSwitch.version are found in SimpleConstruction/Plugins and are needed for tank switching. If you cannot find an 'InterstellarFuelSwitch' folder in your GameData, just keep those two files inside SimpleConstruction.

If anything is still confusing, don't hesitate to ask for a picture guide.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.