[1.2.1] SimpleConstruction - Stock rocket building v3.3

MatterBeam

3 minutes ago, MatterBeam said:

There's a .cfg file called 'OreTanksSwitch' in the Parts folder that handles multi-resource capability for the stock Ore tanks.

As for the Interstellar Fuel Switch plugin, I thought you already had it from EPL?

Originally, InterstellarFuelSwitch.dll and InterstellarFuelSwitch.version are found in SimpleConstruction/Plugins and are needed for tank switching. If you cannot find an 'InterstellarFuelSwitch' folder in your GameData, just keep those two files inside SimpleConstruction.

If anything is still confusing, don't hesitate to ask for a picture guide.

As far as I can tell, the Extra Planetary Launchpads version I have (v5.2.94) does not come with Interstellar Fuel Switch, at least not inside of its plugin folder, and I don't seem to have IFS as a stand-alone mod in GameData.

Therefore, I will gladly keep both parts of that mod inside the otherwise empty-to-be SimpleConstruction/plugins folder and gratefully use the wider and shorter ore tank for the metal and rocket parts.

1 hour ago, kopapaka said:

Such an idea: I could use a similar system for a single print lander or rover from imported rocket parts. Ideal to reduce the number of parts.

I apologize for translation using Google Translator. :)

Do like the current version or do you want less parts?

53 minutes ago, MatterBeam said:

Do like the current version or do you want less parts?

current version: more part, harvest and more print

idea(no replace current version): one part, no harvest and one print - select in VAB

Sry my speak :(

Edited by kopapaka

I just wanted to say I got v0.9 working on a fresh install with a bunch of Mods installed, (but no EPL and no UKS mods) and it worked successfully. Going to to give it a proper go over the weekend.

Couple of suggestions: you might want to add a couple of extra instructions to the lead post about how to use IFS to switch the Ore tanks into Metal and Rocket Part tanks. That threw me for a little bit until I figured things out.

I put the more detailed set of instructions here under spoiler in case people wanted to figure it out for themselves.

Spoiler

Resource chain:

1. Power source
  2. Drills to mine Ore
  3. Ore tank to hold the Ore
  4. Convert-O-Tron to convert Ore into Metal
  5. Ore tank (switched to Metal during assembly) to hold the Metal
  6. Mobile Processing Lab to print Rocket Parts
  7. Kerbal Engineers in the Mobile Processing Lab to build the ship (otherwise productivity is zero)
  8. Ore tank (switched to Rocket Parts during assembly) to hold the Rocket Parts
  9. Construction Port (looks like a docking port) to build the craft with.

Looks great!

Edited by PerfectOne
typo

18 hours ago, BT Industries said:

I love this mod.

Makes everything oh so much simpler and doesn't add un-needed parts :D

The only thing I miss from Extraplanetary Launchpads is the recycler.

I  miss that one too. And I would like to suggest turning a copy of the senior-dockingport into that beautiful machine.

21 hours ago, maculator said:

Awsome, This really fits in my "no part mods exept KIS/KAS+Infernalrobotics"-Career. I love the idea, always liked extraplanetary launchpads but It cluttered my parts list sooooo much.

Thank you! I'm glad you like it. My own intention was to reduce RAM consumption to a minimum.

18 hours ago, BT Industries said:

I love this mod.

Makes everything oh so much simpler and doesn't add un-needed parts :D

The only thing I miss from Extraplanetary Launchpads is the recycler.

Happy to hear that!

4 minutes ago, maculator said:

I  miss that one too. And I would like to suggest turning a copy of the senior-dockingport into that beautiful machine.

I will try to implement the recycler. The original intent of this mod was to both reduce number of parts to a few stock ones, and simplify the whole resource pathway.

Thanks to kottabo I stumbled across this mod. Right now I'm focusing on andvancing far enough in techtree to use this mod. So I dont got every feature on my screen, but i guess the problem with the recycler would be that it normally produces scrapmetal? I guess it should be possible for the sake of simplicity to make a version that produces rocketparts or ore? I think ore would be fair enough since you then have to put some effort into transforming it into usefull rocketparts.

Edited by maculator
german trying to speak english :/

41 minutes ago, maculator said:

Thanks to kottabo I stumbled across this mod. Right now I'm focusing on andvancing far enough in techtree to use this mod. So I dont got every feature on my screen, but i guess the problem with the recycler would be that it normally produces scrapmetal? I guess it should be possible for the sake of simplicity to make a version that produces rocketparts or ore? I think ore would be fair enough since you then have to put some effort into transforming it into usefull rocketparts.

I didn't know KottabosGames had featured me! I'm glad you told me.

For extra functionality, I have to look into Extraplanetary Launchpad's code. It's not something I'm very familiar with, so I'll ask @taniwha if it is possible to recycle into another resource.

12 hours ago, MatterBeam said:

For extra functionality, I have to look into Extraplanetary Launchpad's code. It's not something I'm very familiar with, so I'll ask @taniwha if it is possible to recycle into another resource.

It very much is possible. Part recipes determine the resources required to build the part (default is just RocketParts). However, the same recipe is used to determine what resources may be extracted from the part. You then define a recycle recipe to determine what the extracted resources become when recycled (and the rates, allowing for losses). If you want to be able to transfer stored resources that would normally be recycled to something else, define a 1:1 transfer recicpe.

Also, any resource that has a resource recipe but neither a transfer recipe nor a recycle recipe (eg, SolidFuel) will simply evaporate.

There are examples in ExtraplanetaryLaunchpads/Resources/Recipes.cfg and Kerbal.cfg (the latter shows how to hack the system to get something for nothing: it was done to not alter EL's behavior from before recipes, and that was done to maintain compatibility with Kethane back when recycling was done).

I hope that helps. If you have further questions, feel free to ask :)

4 hours ago, taniwha said:

It very much is possible. Part recipes determine the resources required to build the part (default is just RocketParts). However, the same recipe is used to determine what resources may be extracted from the part. You then define a recycle recipe to determine what the extracted resources become when recycled (and the rates, allowing for losses). If you want to be able to transfer stored resources that would normally be recycled to something else, define a 1:1 transfer recicpe.

Also, any resource that has a resource recipe but neither a transfer recipe nor a recycle recipe (eg, SolidFuel) will simply evaporate.

There are examples in ExtraplanetaryLaunchpads/Resources/Recipes.cfg and Kerbal.cfg (the latter shows how to hack the system to get something for nothing: it was done to not alter EL's behavior from before recipes, and that was done to maintain compatibility with Kethane back when recycling was done).

I hope that helps. If you have further questions, feel free to ask :)

Thank you very much for coning here and helping out. I'll add the recycling functionality, probably to a cargo bay.

Another thing: rocket building without kerbals. Is that possible?

7 hours ago, MatterBeam said:

Another thing: rocket building without kerbals. Is that possible?

Yes, it's possible, but you need to create your own class derived from EL's ExWorkshop and get it to provide an appropriate productivity. If you're looking at the code, look at DiscoverWorkshops to see how things work overall: the magic is in ExDiscoverWorkshops.

It might be best to hold off so I can make it a proper interface (like ExWorkSink) so you don't have to derive from ExWorkshop itself.

3 hours ago, taniwha said:

Yes, it's possible, but you need to create your own class derived from EL's ExWorkshop and get it to provide an appropriate productivity. If you're looking at the code, look at DiscoverWorkshops to see how things work overall: the magic is in ExDiscoverWorkshops.

It might be best to hold off so I can make it a proper interface (like ExWorkSink) so you don't have to derive from ExWorkshop itself.

I hope ExDiscoverWorkshops isn't a line in the .dll, because I'm certainly not a C+++ wizard. :(

2 hours ago, maculator said:

Right now I wonder why the radial ore tank has no fuel switch. Is this intended?

It will be added.

1 hour ago, Eleusis La Arwall said:

Simple and effective. Very well done!

I've noticed that the density of Metal differs from EPL resource definition. Is there a particular reason for that?

It is calculated from real world data.

Thank you for the support :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.