7/2/16 Spacecraft Fridays The SCF? What SCF? edition

OeVBDOq.png

Standard disclaimer: said:

Who are you to decide this, I hear you asking, and here's the answer: No one. I am not official in any way, shape, or form. If you're unhappy with my decision, we can work something out. This is just my opinion, since there's no objective way to judge "Quality" of crafts.

If anyone feels that their craft is missed because of any kind of time-zone difference, or any kind of difference in when spacecraft fridays is put up, tell me.

If your craft is really good and was made before, and someone posts in it within that week, then it will be considered. Just to clarify, I am not encouraging necros for the sake of bumping your craft.

Hi all, time for another SCF!  I'm a bit late this time, I forgot.  This SCF will focus on proper spacecraft, since it's been a while since we've had one that focused on that.

So I give you, in no particular order, the spacecraft of SCF!

|Cygnus Recoverable SSTO Rockets|

By @Warzouz

I tested the RR-100 for this SCF, and it worked well.  The margin is very tight, and the payload connection is a bit wobbly (Probably better with KJR) especially when you're almost out of first stage fuel.  Reentry is dicey, I lost two airbrakes, mostly due to bad piloting, though.  Amazingly, though, I was able recover it before it tipped over, even though I landed it on a huge hill.  This is a great idea, and work very well!

418d2eb5-ebec-4ae4-994c-9ac6f7925492.jpg

This a great shuttle design proposal, the abort is especially great.  It's very easy to fly, with that vector gimbal range.  With 1,185 m/s of delta-v from the nuclear rocket engines, I wouldn't be surprised if it could do a Mun flyby.  Reentry is a bit tricky.  I sent it into a spin at altitude, which it seems to hate, and so I had to abort. 

wyBMy7e.png

|Jimbodiah's NASA rockets|

By @Jimbodiah

These are a set of very nice modded replicas of NASA craft, future and proposed.  I did not test these because of the mods.

orion_csm.jpg

|Superfluously Rotating Recoverable Boosters|

By @selfish_meme

These may not be the most useful (I couldn't the wings to lockout) but they are still awesome!  My problems with getting it to lockout may be a problem with my save, though.

And finally, so it's not just rockets,

|The Bristol Boxkite|

By @pTrevTrevs

Using an awesome @Majorjim strut framework design, now with engines! 

261WyIN.png

Honorable mention:

|Binary VTOL/SSTO|

By @Bubbadevlin

I changed my mind on this one folks.
This SSTO can actually rotate it's engine nacelles to vertical flight mode, or horizontal flight mode, while still staying part of the same craft.  

YqM4ZS6.jpg

Alright, folks, that's it for this week! 

Edited by Mad Rocket Scientist

If you liked my Bristol Boxkite, wait until I release the super secret project I'm working on.

If you can guess what it is, I'll give you... something... Eh, I'll figure it out if someone actually guesses it. (Better just PM me if you have a guess, I don't want to clutter up this thread with irrelevant replies, and I would like to keep it as secret as I can for the moment)

Hint: It was one of the primary reasons for the Allied victory in the Pacific in WWII.

Okay, I've shamelessly advertised myself enough, I'll let you have your thread back now.

Edited by pTrevTrevs

About Cygnus recoverable rockets : beware that this release works well with 1.0.4 but is not too friendly with 1.0.5. In few words : the airbrakes burns and engines may overheat and blow. The heavier the launcher, the higher the overheat is.

I've a working 300T 1.0.5 proof version, but reentry is somewhat quite odd (the basic idea is to increase drag by inducing some sort of spinning). The new prototype does that by itself then stabilize automatically around 5000m.

Thanks for selecting my work but beware it needs some works for 1.0.5

2 hours ago, Warzouz said:

About Cygnus recoverable rockets : beware that this release works well with 1.0.4 but is not too friendly with 1.0.5. In few words : the airbrakes burns and engines may overheat and blow. The heavier the launcher, the higher the overheat is.

I've a working 300T 1.0.5 proof version, but reentry is somewhat quite odd (the basic idea is to increase drag by inducing some sort of spinning). The new prototype does that by itself then stabilize automatically around 5000m.

Thanks for selecting my work but beware it needs some works for 1.0.5

The airbrakes did explode when I tested it, but I was still able to recover it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.