Devnote Tuesday: Wednesday Edition II

SQUAD

Just now, regex said:

How is OpenGL support looking in Unity 5, especially with Linux?

I certainly hope we'll be able to shut that off to help performance...

YUP. The absolute LAST thing this game needs is another 'pointless' feature slowing things down even more. The current performance is abysmal.

Just now, Gaarst said:

64bit won't, physics multi-threading could.

Yes.

Just now, Azimech said:

If that is true, it's unfortunate. If not, it would be best renamed but still be available to modders. Even if unrealistic, it has certain properties and qualities that are useful for some applications. We don't know yet if the new module can do the same things as the old one.

I have a complex test rig to test the new wheel physics. If there are limitations or bugs I will find them on day 1.

Just now, Red Iron Crown said:

Even if multithreading isn't significant the new PhysX version should offer single thread improvements as well.

again, yes. But gentlemen all I said was 64bit has no effect on FPS.

Edited by Majorjim

10 minutes ago, Majorjim said:

YUP. The absolute LAST thing this game needs is another 'pointless' feature slowing things down even more. The current performance is abysmal.

It's not "pointless", PBR makes things look real nice.  The problem is not everyone has the latest and greatest graphics cards, or can immediately afford it.

(Or has the space to put up a new gaming computer because they have a brother-in-law that occupies the office while he acclimates to the town and college.)

8 minutes ago, Majorjim said:

I have a complex test rig to test the new wheel physics. If there are limitations or bugs I will find them on day 1.

They're not concerned with new bugs, they're concerned with how well they can "exploit" the physics simulation to make the game do new things.  The old wheels allowed some interesting behavior and now that will be going away.

Nevermind, realized who I was talking to.

Edited by regex

1 minute ago, Majorjim said:

Why am I not surprised :D
I'd love to use it too with your permission, I assume we both have insights in vehicle suspension in various ways and it would be great to exchange testing methods and  results.

13 minutes ago, Majorjim said:

6 minutes ago, Azimech said:

I'd love to use it too with your permission, I assume we both have insights in vehicle suspension in various ways and it would be great to exchange testing methods and  results.

The MajorMech wheel testing conglomeration! I'd be interested to see what you two unearth. 

Nice to read that the bug-fixing is going the right way. Keep the bug huntion in the code. Is RoverDude's inflatable heatshield going to be available in this patch?

Pro Tip:

In the code (1100111100) throw some two's (2) it will surely keep the bugs away.

Also, is KSPedia the scientist at the bottom of the page really needs a name.

1 minute ago, p_gper said:

Also, is KSPedia the scientist at the bottom of the page really needs a name.

He has a name, its Wernher von Kerman.

3 hours ago, SQUAD said:

Other than bugfixes, there are several small quality-of-life improvements: vessels in the tracking station can be sorted in order of when their next manoeuvre node is set to occur,

Very happy to see this!:D

2 hours ago, Ser said:

Just can't get it, why RemoteTech isn't sufficient for you guys?

Frankly, it's too much for me.

I've used it.  It's great.  Does everything I could possibly want from a communications system.  However, last time I tried using it, it bogged my computer down way too much.  I'm guessing it probably has to do a lot of processing to track network nodes, compute paths, select shortest path to a command point, draw all the lines, and whatever else it may do.  So, while I like it and am not opposed to it, it's just not possible for me to run a communications network and fly a spacecraft, as well.

Just now, Azimech said:

Well it's not a rigid framework or contraption it's more of an idea of how I want them to work. My first test would be to confirm they can perform all tasks we use them for currently. Then move on to more complex tasks and uses, ie, attached to each other, how they collide with parts and the 'shape' of the wheel part. Roving over a very small gap right now will show you its not a wheel, its a single point. if that makes sense.

Having said that.. I will have a think about a possible 'rig'. I am very curious to see how deactivating the 'anti-skid' feature effects bearing performance ect.

Edited by Majorjim

Just now, regex said:

It's not "pointless", PBR makes things look real nice.  The problem is not everyone has the latest and greatest graphics cards, or can immediately afford it.

(Or has the space to put up a new gaming computer because they have a brother-in-law that occupies the office while he acclimates to the town and college.)

They're not concerned with new bugs, they're concerned with how well they can "exploit" the physics simulation to make the game do new things.  The old wheels allowed some interesting behavior and now that will be going away.

Nevermind, realized who I was talking to.

To me, shiny surfaces and better lighting are 'pointless' especially if it slows the damn game down more!

4 minutes ago, Majorjim said:

Roving over a very small gap right now will show you its not a wheel, its a single point. if that makes sense.

Oh, so that's why rovers don't like scaled up planets (more specifically the terrain's low poly density)

Edited by KerbonautInTraining

22 minutes ago, Majorjim said:

Well it's not a rigid framework or contraption it's more of an idea of how I want them to work. My first test would be to confirm they can perform all tasks we use them for currently. Then move on to more complex tasks and uses, ie, attached to each other, how they collide with parts and the 'shape' of the wheel part. Roving over a very small gap right now will show you its not a wheel, its a single point. if that makes sense.

Having said that.. I will have a think about a possible 'rig'. I am very curious to see how deactivating the 'anti-skid' feature effects bearing performance ect.

Yes, single point colliding with the surface. The reason if you angle the wheels they seem to semi-submerge through the terrain. If you remember, I built my own wheels out of Procedural Parts and my own extension to that mod on my Porsche 911, and they performed fine, grip was purely a matter of mass and surface area, although lower than real life rubber tires. We wouldn't need a new wheel module if Squad would introduce different material types with different properties including friction - if you ask me not so hard to do (see my "Other Materials" mod) but remembering a discussion we had in the past - probably something for an expansion or a new product.

11 minutes ago, Majorjim said:

Roving over a very small gap right now will show you its not a wheel, its a single point. if that makes sense.

ah yes, the barely visible/invisible terrain ridges of doom, the bane of high speed rovers.  Really hope wheels can roll over those now rather than skating into/under them!
I'm also very interested to see how they can cope with climbing over obstacles and how behave if they are clipped into each other.

11 minutes ago, Majorjim said:

This is true for the small rover wheels (my fav) I assume it is the same for the larger wheels.

Yar, it is

All awesome stuff!

However, I am curious about the telemetry and satellite work. Is it pushed back because of difficulties or work load? (as you can tell, I am curious about when it is potentially applied to a patch).

I'm so excited for it and am waiting to start my next big game once that is out since I can only imagine how weird it will be to incorporate that to an ongoing campaign down the road.

Keep up the good work!

Just now, Azimech said:

Yes, single point colliding with the surface. The reason if you angle the wheels they seem to semi-submerge through the terrain. If you remember, I built my own wheels out of Procedural Parts and my own extension to that mod on my Porsche 911, and they performed fine, grip was purely a matter of mass and surface area, although lower than real life rubber tires. We wouldn't need a new wheel module if Squad would introduce different material types with different properties including friction - if you ask me not so hard to do (see my "Other Materials" mod) but remembering a discussion we had in the past - probably something for an expansion or a new product.

LOL, yes we will have to agree to disagree on the materials matter. :D

4 minutes ago, John FX said:

One test I would do with wheels is to run one against the other and see if structural panels can be flung from them using their driving force.

That and loads of drifting.

If I visualize this correctly ... you mean two wheels with a loose structural panel in between?

Edited by Azimech

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.