Devnote Tuesday: Wednesday Edition II

SQUAD

4 hours ago, TriggerAu said:

Adding/adjusting content is on the design list yes, so people can add content and also localise it (The text is not an image, its another layer that is text in Unity). When we get to that point I'll quite happily share any and all info on how people can make up their own - but for now its getting the basics in :)

Thanks for that, tis one of the things on my list when I proofread the pages (yet to do) same as - am I missing full stops at end of sentences, missed punctuation in contractions (or too many contractions - apparently my Aussie comes through a bit too much in first cuts), strange capitalization, use of incorrect names, ... and the list goes on

Strewth a full Aussie voice localisation would be hilarious.

I was looking forward to the antenna and telemetry system.  Sucks that it wont be included.  Why did that happen?

Bah.  If you're not cutting features you're not serious about releasing yet.

I like RT, but it's a bit frustrating - unless you mod yourself a bunch of other cities it makes communicating with your sats more difficult than RL.

6 hours ago, tsotha said:

Bah.  If you're not cutting features you're not serious about releasing yet.

I like RT, but it's a bit frustrating - unless you mod yourself a bunch of other cities it makes communicating with your sats more difficult than RL.

I always wonder, how do you people suppose different cities on the planet should communicate? I mean, let's suppose we have a ground network of one relay in South America, one in Europe and one in Australia. How do data travel between them IRL? By land cables, mail trains or may be pigeons? Or may be still via communication satellites?

Edited by Ser

17 hours ago, NathanKell said:

So the slider is really just allowing the game to slowdown to keep up framerate and give us more (human) reaction time?

Man, so much wasted time by not setting it to max.^^'

16 minutes ago, Temeter said:

So the slider is really just allowing the game to slowdown to keep up framerate and give us more (human) reaction time?

Man, so much wasted time by not setting it to max.^^'

On 2/5/2016 at 11:45 PM, NathanKell said:

Moving the slider to the right means things will "look" smoother, at the cost of things happening slower (game time becomes slower than realtime).

Is it possible to have a small improvement to service bays in 1.1? A small ambient light (something like with the ladder), that would turn on once the bay is opened. Possibly with a separate on/off switch if the light is to draw any power.

It would make bays much more usable, especially in planet shadows but also in space where the craft should not need rotating just to have some sunlight in there.

Even a very dim, constant-on light inside would be great and it wouldn't break anything as long as it doesn't draw power.

5 hours ago, Ser said:

I always wonder, how do you people suppose different cities on the planet should communicate? I mean, let's suppose we have a ground network of one relay in South America, one in Europe and one in Australia. How do data travel between them IRL? By land cables, mail trains or may be pigeons? Or may be still via communication satellites?

First, we should separate the deep space network (which needs fewer ground stations) from the Spaceflight Tracking and Data Network (which managed your LEO stuff).  But in short, teletypes (I used to use these!  75 baud, too!), facsimile (yes, facsimile), terrestrial switches/comm circuits, underseas cables, etc. 

Here's an article for the curious.

http://history.nasa.gov/SP-4012/vol6/vol_vi_ch_4.pdf

Roverdude, maybe we can require an LOS to land to have connection? We could also buy boats that just let us connect to the boat and then to the DSN. I'd like that more personally, because it would be the same far away but not infinite connection in LKO until you have a few satellites in random orbits.

30 minutes ago, RoverDude said:

First, we should separate the deep space network (which needs fewer ground stations) from the Spaceflight Tracking and Data Network (which managed your LEO stuff).  But in short, teletypes (I used to use these!  75 baud, too!), facsimile (yes, facsimile), terrestrial switches/comm circuits, underseas cables, etc. 

Here's an article for the curious.

http://history.nasa.gov/SP-4012/vol6/vol_vi_ch_4.pdf

As I see TDRSS uses communication satellites along with land lines. On the other hand there's DSN which uses only ground communications, but "The Deep Space Network is something of a misnomer, as there are no current plans, nor future plans, for exclusive communication satellites anywhere in space to handle multiparty, multi-mission use" ((C) wikipedia)

Christ, we're living in stone age.

3 hours ago, Ser said:

As I see TDRSS uses communication satellites along with land lines. On the other hand there's DSN which uses only ground communications, but "The Deep Space Network is something of a misnomer, as there are no current plans, nor future plans, for exclusive communication satellites anywhere in space to handle multiparty, multi-mission use" ((C) wikipedia)

Perhaps because NASA is playing in hard-core mode with low financial rewards, extensive government oversight, no private contracts for income, RSS distances, a very unforgiving LS mod, Dangit!, radiation hazards, NIMBY, no game loads or reverts, luddites and a d/v to orbit around 8km/s.  Heck, they don't even have a lunch site on the equator.

27 minutes ago, Terwin said:

Heck, they don't even have a lunch site on the equator.

Well, we only get an hour for it.  It makes sense to go somewhere local.  Sometimes I bring leftovers.

Edited by razark

2 hours ago, Ser said:

No the deep space network antennas are huge so it would be expensive to put them in space. 
Remotetech makes things too complex here, made worse in that satellites in synchronous orbit drift both in KSP and real world, however in real world they are managed. This will be an insane micromanagement in KSP without good tools. 

11 hours ago, Ser said:

IRL there's no reason to use communication satellites.   All the continents are connected by optical fiber.

I really hope we hear about a time table for the update soon.  The part limit I need to place right now to keep things somewhat playable is crazy.  I feel so limited, need this framework bad.  I was also looking forwar to telemetry, but I can wait a little longer for that.  I'm a very patient dude, but even I am wearing a bit thin atm.

On 2/10/2016 at 0:31 PM, Majorjim said:

Ahem.. 64bit will not have any affect on Frames per second. Sorry.

Wont it, though?  Why?  Being able to put twice as much info through your processor per cycle should double your speed.   Sure it will not be exactly twice as fast but maybe 1.8, but why say it would have zero effect?

Edited by mcirish3

On 02/13/2016 at 6:44 PM, SupremeSoviet said:

I really hope we hear about a time table for the update soon.  The part limit I need to place right now to keep things somewhat playable is crazy.  I feel so limited, need this framework bad.  I was also looking forwar to telemetry, but I can wait a little longer for that.  I'm a very patient dude, but even I am wearing a bit thin atm.

Even when it is released it will do no good as then we have to wait a few months for all the modders to make their updates. This 1.1 will destroy all mods since the GUI is overhauled. Late April sound about when 1.1 will finally kick off. SOrry to burst anyones bubble fantasy here.

50 minutes ago, mcirish3 said:
On 2/10/2016 at 0:31 PM, Majorjim said:

Ahem.. 64bit will not have any affect on Frames per second. Sorry.

Wont it, though?  Why?  Being able to put twice as much info through your processor per cycle should double your speed.   Sure it will not be exactly twice as fast but maybe 1.8, but why say it would have zero effect?

Because the 64 bit build has nothing to do with putting more through the processor, and everything to do with RAM address space. All it does is allow KSP to use more than the current 3.5 Gb or so of RAM. 

Now having said that, a lot of us are hopeful that there are other improvements to the game code that will bring better performance (nowhere close to 2x, but even a little better would be, well, better). It's just that 64 bit is not one of the things that will help performance. But it will help greatly by allowing us to install lots of mods without fear of crashing the game due to running out of memory. 

35 minutes ago, FullMetalMachinist said:

Because the 64 bit build has nothing to do with putting more through the processor, and everything to do with RAM address space. All it does is allow KSP to use more than the current 3.5 Gb or so of RAM. 

Now having said that, a lot of us are hopeful that there are other improvements to the game code that will bring better performance (nowhere close to 2x, but even a little better would be, well, better). It's just that 64 bit is not one of the things that will help performance. But it will help greatly by allowing us to install lots of mods without fear of crashing the game due to running out of memory. 

Yes but why does the 64 bit build have nothing to do with putting more through the processor, and everything to do with RAM address space?  My processor is 64 bit, so if it is running a 64 bit program it can in fact put twice as much information through, per cycle why does this not double the speed?

Edited by mcirish3

Pleaaaaaaaaase give me a beta, or something to help me satisfy my addiction !!!

I'm banging my boxingbag into the wall untill 1.1 release !!!

If this takes even one more week of waiting , I Will launch myself to "moon" !!!

I dont care If its bugged, want to test it out now !!!

Please? :)

5 hours ago, mcirish3 said:

Yes but why does the 64 bit build have nothing to do with putting more through the processor, and everything to do with RAM address space?  My processor is 64 bit, so if it is running a 64 bit program it can in fact put twice as much information through, per cycle why does this not double the speed?

Actually, 64bit is a slowdown. The use of 64bit is either 1) to improve precision, or 2) address more memory*. Either way, your computer has to physically move, and store, a "number" that's physically doubled in size. If you have a 32bit word, and a 64bit wide bus, you can move two words at a time, or one 64bit word. And inside of your CPU you may be able to execute operations on either 4 32bit words, or 2 64bit words, at the same time. However, a lot of what a game needs to do cannot be parallelized, so the width of the word doesn't necessarily directly correlate to an increase/decrease in performance that's 1:1 of the theoretical performance.

Edited by Lumicide

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.