[1.8.x+] Strategia [v1.8.0] [2019-10-22]

nightingale

1 hour ago, ibanix said:

I'm having another issue too, where every planet Program strategy is unavailable to me; every one shows the 'Must no have performed a crewed fly-by of X' in the red.

Can you post up a save file?  I'd like a closer look for this one.

I am really enjoying Strategia.

The Crewed and uncrewed missions make a lot of sense and really help out with finances on Hard(or above) difficulties. This or something similar should have been stock instead of the bland pointless system we have.

Only thing bothering me is the "cannot have more then one crewed or uncrewed strategy active at one time" requirement. It becomes a pain once you hit interplanetary, especially if you play with something like OPM. A single interplanetary mission can easily take many years or even decades but you are tied to a single strategy this whole time. When you get  to the interplanetary phase of the game the tempo of the game becomes tied to transfer windows.

For example before Strategia i always used to run Eve and Duna probe programs simultaneously but it seems like Strategia wants we to do them consecutively.

Of course you can just time warp and focus on a single planet at a time... Unless you play with LS mods and have an extensive infrastructure of bases and space stations setup in which case you need additional supply runs and crew rotations and... well you get it. :)

It comes down to deciding whether to sacrifice transfer windows and being forced to do additional supply missions to existing infrastructure or sacrifice some strategies (and their rewards) and run interplanetary exploration simultaneously. Which i guess might be exactly what @nightingale wanted when he designed the system as he did.

All this said i am not sure how i would change the system. Maybe allow multiple interplanetary missions but make them cost you credits upfront and increase final rewards instead of getting a significant advance as you do now? Having more then one of these strategies active would make the "failure" conditions completely pointless tough as you would need never cancel them, i guess the punishment would be not getting a return on the initial investment. 

Anyway.. just throwing out some thoughts, great mod. :)

Edited by Vrana
Added some stuff.

2 hours ago, ibanix said:

Looks like everything's working correctly - you pressed one of the debug buttons (the Max Progress one), so according to your save, you've been everywhere and done everything.

@Vrana - I think the big thing was that I wanted the planetary programs to represent the whole country/planet getting behind the goal of going to a single place - so it just didn't make sense to allow multiples.  My thinking from a gameplay perspective is that you would instead pick other strategies that might give you more appropriate bonuses if you wanted to go to multiple places (there's a couple that give bonuses for going to more places, and a couple of the probe-based ones require more breadth of planets visited.

2 hours ago, nightingale said:

Looks like everything's working correctly - you pressed one of the debug buttons (the Max Progress one), so according to your save, you've been everywhere and done everything.

Derp. I forgot I had even done that. I was trying to figure out how mark a bunch of science as completed. Is there an 'undo' on that?

On 05/06/2016 at 0:16 PM, ibanix said:
10 hours ago, ibanix said:

Derp. I forgot I had even done that. I was trying to figure out how mark a bunch of science as completed. Is there an 'undo' on that?

Nope - save file hacking is the only suggestion I have for that.

• 2 weeks later...

Is Contract Slot Machine supposed to be changing the payouts of already accepted contracts every time I re-load, or is that a bug? My understanding was that it would vary the payouts in the Mission Control building, and then once I picked a contract the payout would be locked in, but that doesn't seem like it's the case.

EDIT: Actually it looks like it's changing the payouts every time I switch screens. Which is really annoying because I launch a ship thinking I'll get 800K for a contract and then by the time I'm completing the contract it's worth a fraction of that.

Edited by ZachPruckowski
more info

37 minutes ago, ZachPruckowski said:

Is Contract Slot Machine supposed to be changing the payouts of already accepted contracts every time I re-load, or is that a bug? My understanding was that it would vary the payouts in the Mission Control building, and then once I picked a contract the payout would be locked in, but that doesn't seem like it's the case.

Yeah, I've had this problem as well. Slot Machine can turn existing contracts from useful to useless depending on how much the change actually turns out to be.

@ZachPruckowski & @ibanix - I thought the main bug (switching the rewards constantly) was fixed a while back.  Unless it's an unreleased change, which is possible.  Can one of you raise an issue on GitHub for me (currently on vacation, don't want to lose track of this).

As far as affecting already accepted contracts it's an unintended side effect, but definitely a bug.

9 minutes ago, nightingale said:

@ZachPruckowski & @ibanix - I thought the main bug (switching the rewards constantly) was fixed a while back.  Unless it's an unreleased change, which is possible.  Can one of you raise an issue on GitHub for me (currently on vacation, don't want to lose track of this).

As far as affecting already accepted contracts it's an unintended side effect, but definitely a bug.

Raised issue #44. I guess I'll have to turn off Contract Slot Machine for now. Which is a shame because it's one of my favorites.

@nightingale:  I noticed that it is possible to repeat the Mun and Minmus Probes strategies; all the others have a variation of the 'Must not have landed on <body>' requirement.  Since v1.2.3 changed the Mun/Minmus probe strategy rejection criteria so they were no longer mutually exclusive, I wonder whether this is a bug or intended behaviour.

If it is a bug, you have my apologies for adding to the 1.1.3 workload.

Edited by Zhetaan

7 minutes ago, Zhetaan said:

@nightingale:  I noticed that it is possible to repeat the Mun and Minmus Probes strategies; all the others have a variation of the 'Must not have landed on <body>' requirement.  Since v1.2.3 changed the Mun/Minmus probe strategy rejection criteria so they were no longer mutually exclusive, I wonder whether this is a bug or intended behaviour.

If it is a bug, you have my apologies for adding to the 1.1.3 workload.

Already fixed that one, it's just in the queue for release.  One or two things to check on this one and I'll have a release out (probably tonight).  Everything should be fine in 1.1.3 on the current version, regardless.

New release here!

Strategia 1.2.4

• No longer lose reputation bonuses when upgrading/downgrading within the Free Ice Cream I/II/III strategies (thanks ibanix).
  • Bonuses/maluses are preserved when upgrading or downgrading Free Ice Cream.
  • Don't change active contracts when activating Free Ice Cream for the first time (thanks ZachPruckowski).
  • Increased Moho rewards for various strategies (thanks ibanix).
  • Fixed mission requirement in moon probe strategies (thanks ibanix).

Question, are the probe strategies meant to be repeatable? I just did the minmus probe program and completed it, now I can take it again... doesn't seem right that you could just do this over and make the money for it again.

17 minutes ago, vardicd said:

Question, are the probe strategies meant to be repeatable? I just did the minmus probe program and completed it, now I can take it again... doesn't seem right that you could just do this over and make the money for it again.

11 minutes ago, ibanix said:

That bug has occurred in previous versions. Can you post a link to a copy of your save file? Nightingale will need that for debugging

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/62gfzui2ka54o25/AADT9oLU03jr21hqK9-iaPZLa?dl=0 Save file and outputlog

Thanks @vardicd & @ibanix.  It looks like the strategy is turning off once you do a crewed orbit of the celestial body, when it was meant to be any orbit.  That being said, you can technically land a probe without ever orbiting the body, so I should probably change that to landing instead.  Anyway, raised #45.

56 minutes ago, vardicd said:

49 minutes ago, ibanix said:

That bug has occurred in previous versions. Can you post a link to a copy of your save file? Nightingale will need that for debugging

38 minutes ago, vardicd said:
31 minutes ago, nightingale said:

Thanks @vardicd & @ibanix.  It looks like the strategy is turning off once you do a crewed orbit of the celestial body, when it was meant to be any orbit.  That being said, you can technically land a probe without ever orbiting the body, so I should probably change that to landing instead.  Anyway, raised #45.

UPDATE: For some random reason, after a period of approximately 30 kerbin days, {was waiting for kerbal construction time to finish building a rocket} the minmus probes strategy deactivated itself. Not sure why there was such a large time delay in there, but it is no longer repeatable for me.

4 minutes ago, vardicd said:

UPDATE: For some random reason, after a period of approximately 30 kerbin days, {was waiting for kerbal construction time to finish building a rocket} the minmus probes strategy deactivated itself. Not sure why there was such a large time delay in there, but it is no longer repeatable for me.

Hmm....  if you provide a log I can check why it got deactivated (possibly).

1 hour ago, vardicd said:

Well nothing useful relating to the strategy in that log.  Although you should upgrade to the 1.1.3 compatible Waypoint Manager - the old version you're on is log-spamming like crazy.

On 08/04/2016 at 0:40 PM, regex said:

Cool, I've appointed myself to look into integrating this into RP-0 (unless someone steps in earlier or later) so I'll probably be asking questions.  I appreciate the pointers to the right code.

How's this going? Would love to be able to give this mod a shot, but find it difficult to play KSP without RP-0/RO nowadays :P.

2 hours ago, nightingale said:

Well nothing useful relating to the strategy in that log.  Although you should upgrade to the 1.1.3 compatible Waypoint Manager - the old version you're on is log-spamming like crazy.

Strange thought I had.... will double check. maybe I downloaded it and forgot to actually do the upgrade.