[1.8.x+] Strategia [v1.8.0] [2019-10-22]

nightingale

On 4/2/2016 at 10:33 AM, nightingale said:

Alrighty, updated for 1.1, download here.  As always, mind the dependencies!

Strategia 1.2.0

• Support for KSP 1.1
  • Fixed additional issue with incorrect ISP assignment in Pilot Focus III (thanks TorgHacker).
  • Increased the cache size for the contract slot machine strategy.

Lots of appreciation for you and sarbian! :) Thank you!

7 hours ago, yorshee said:

This is happening to me too, not sure what's causing it.

I also can't scroll through the strategies, the scroll bars are solid/they don't do anything.

I can't even keyboard-downarrow through the list as a workaround.

Latest versions of the mod and dependency mods from CKAN, on Windows 7 64bit running KSP 1.1 prerelease latest built 64bit.

Edited by Starfire70

So, some review after my now-working install:

Great ideas! I like these a lot more than the stock strategies. I still have something of a bug where the third-level strategies say "can't handle more than 70% commitment at this level" (when my building is level 2); but that's a cosmetic issue.

Some of the strategies are a lot more generous than others:

"To Boldly Go" has no downsides except for the startup costs, which are really not bad at all. It could use some sort of drawback, such as -X% less funds from non-science contracts, or -X% reputation to contracts in a celestial/biome you've already visited. You're trying to Boldly Go somewhere new, right?

The same problem exists for "Local Science", because you can get a stupidly huge amount of science just from KSC/Kerbin alone, with no downsides. I'd suggest something like a large -X% funds modifier to all contract rewards while in effect. Another idea would be that a certain amount of science has to be collected from Kerbin to satisfy Local Science; if you drop the strategy before reaching this goal, you forefit lots of funds/reputation/science. 

3 hours ago, gamerscircle said:

If I have an active career, will this work or should I start a fresh career?  Also, which version of the Custom Barn Kit should I download?  latest?

Assuming you have KSP v1.0.5: Get Custom Barn Kit 1.1.40 from the CBK thread; don't use the CBK version on CKAN, which is newer. Assuming v1.1: Use whatever is newest for v1.1. 

Oh, another thought: The "not have any vessels enroute to [body X]" does not seem to count future SOI intercepts. I have probes with existing SOI changes into Eve and Duna space, but I still can qualify for the Eve and Duna Probes strategies.

Edited by ibanix

@rayman491, @mjak, @yorshee @Starfire70 - I'll take a look at the scrolling issue.  Either it's a stock bug or is being caused by my widening of the strategies.  Raised #33.

16 hours ago, gamerscircle said:

If I have an active career, will this work or should I start a fresh career?  Also, which version of the Custom Barn Kit should I download?  latest?

The latest CBK that is appropriate to your KSP version...  - go with what @ibanix said. :)

12 hours ago, ibanix said:

Great ideas! I like these a lot more than the stock strategies. I still have something of a bug where the third-level strategies say "can't handle more than 70% commitment at this level" (when my building is level 2); but that's a cosmetic issue.

Hmmm...  this wasn't the case under 1.0.5, so something must've changed in 1.1.  Raised #34.

Some of the strategies are a lot more generous than others:

"To Boldly Go" has no downsides except for the startup costs, which are really not bad at all. It could use some sort of drawback, such as -X% less funds from non-science contracts, or -X% reputation to contracts in a celestial/biome you've already visited. You're trying to Boldly Go somewhere new, right?

The same problem exists for "Local Science", because you can get a stupidly huge amount of science just from KSC/Kerbin alone, with no downsides. I'd suggest something like a large -X% funds modifier to all contract rewards while in effect. Another idea would be that a certain amount of science has to be collected from Kerbin to satisfy Local Science; if you drop the strategy before reaching this goal, you forefit lots of funds/reputation/science. 

Good feedback, I'll look at incorporating that in the next release.  Raised #35.

Oh, another thought: The "not have any vessels enroute to [body X]" does not seem to count future SOI intercepts. I have probes with existing SOI changes into Eve and Duna space, but I still can qualify for the Eve and Duna Probes strategies.

Didn't test under 1.1, good chance that got broken too.  Raised #36.

Edited by nightingale

2 hours ago, nightingale said:

@rayman491, @mjak, @yorshee @Starfire70 - I'll take a look at the scrolling issue.  Either it's a stock bug or is being caused by my widening of the strategies.

Looking like a stock bug here, since I removed Strategia and the scrollbar is still an issue what with SKB's additional contracts. It's likely related to game resolution and/or UI scaling. Need to test further.

Edited by AlphaAsh

13 minutes ago, AlphaAsh said:

Looking like a stock bug here, since I removed Strategia and the scrollbar is still an issue what with SKB's additional contracts. It's likely related to game resolution and/or UI scaling. Need to test further.

Confirmed, I'll raise it up on Squad's tracker, thanks!

4 hours ago, nightingale said:

Confirmed, I'll raise it up on Squad's tracker, thanks!

Yep, I had my UI scale set to 120% on 1920x1080 (I play on a projection screen and the font is bit too small at 100%).

If I turn the UI scale down to 100%, then all the strategies fit in the window, so no need to scroll. At least that's a workaround for now. Yes! :)

Edited by Starfire70

7 hours ago, nightingale said:

@rayman491, @mjak, @yorshee @Starfire70 - I'll take a look at the scrolling issue.  Either it's a stock bug or is being caused by my widening of the strategies.  Raised #33.

The latest CBK that is appropriate to your KSP version...  - go with what @ibanix said. :)

Hmmm...  this wasn't the case under 1.0.5, so something must've changed in 1.1.  Raised #34.

Good feedback, I'll look at incorporating that in the next release.  Raised #35.

Didn't test under 1.1, good chance that got broken too.  Raised #36.

FWIW, I'm still playing 1.0.5.

31 minutes ago, ibanix said:

FWIW, I'm still playing 1.0.5.

Hmmm...  odd in that case.  Can you provide your save file and the name of the ship(s) in question and where they are en-route to?  I played around with the tolerance for this a while back to prevent false-positive, but maybe I went too far.

Hello! This is a nice mod but I have a problem with it.

I play KSP v1.1 and I started a new career after installing this mod via CKAN. When I started "Local science 1" in my level 1 admin building I'm unable to start another strategy, for example "To boldly go 1". The description tells me in red text that I can't start more than 1 strategy but bottom part of the window informs me I have 1 active strategy [max 2].

1 hour ago, monksu said:

Hello! This is a nice mod but I have a problem with it.

I play KSP v1.1 and I started a new career after installing this mod via CKAN. When I started "Local science 1" in my level 1 admin building I'm unable to start another strategy, for example "To boldly go 1". The description tells me in red text that I can't start more than 1 strategy but bottom part of the window informs me I have 1 active strategy [max 2].

Known issue.  It's just the stock window that is wrong.  You may have 1 strategy per admin level.

11 hours ago, ibanix said:

Here you are: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4Rt7Cyo760PZi13ZXFHZmpOWmM/view?usp=sharing

The ships are Eve Flyby and Duna Scanner Inbound, and the destinations should be obvious by the names.

I'm confused - I copied the info from Eve Flyby and it isn't going anywhere near Eve:

soLB2Ye.png

Can you provide a screenshot of the orbits that you expect should be triggerring the "en-route" check?

4 minutes ago, nightingale said:

I'm confused - I copied the info from Eve Flyby and it isn't going anywhere near Eve:

Can you provide a screenshot of the orbits that you expect should be triggerring the "en-route" check?

It depends on a maneuver node that hasn't yet executed, perhaps that's the issue?

eeZnIOE.png

25 minutes ago, ibanix said:

It depends on a maneuver node that hasn't yet executed, perhaps that's the issue?

eeZnIOE.png

Oh yeah, it's not going to look at future maneuver nodes.  So if you've got a mid-course correction that is that big, then it's not going to detect it until you perform the maneuver.  So I suppose you're trading off a less efficient maneuver (not using oberth effect fully) to gain the ability to turn the strategy on a bit later.  I'm okay with that.

I've got some weird issue, where I do seem to get absurd amount of money from time to time. Suddenly rewards popping up, e.g. telling me I got someone to the moon for the first time (in spaceport view, completely out of nowhere, a bit after completing moon program). Recovering stability enhancers from the launch platform earns me illions at times. Is anything of that possibly part of a known issue?

Only activated strategies are massive launches and duna program (manned). Had the same thing happening at some point with only a moon program contract active. Set contract earnings to 90% when creating my career.

Sorry that I can't give more info, not sure what else to look at. Mods are up to date, KSP 1.1.

31 minutes ago, Temeter said:

I've got some weird issue, where I do seem to get absurd amount of money from time to time. Suddenly rewards popping up, e.g. telling me I got someone to the moon for the first time (in spaceport view, completely out of nowhere, a bit after completing moon program). Recovering stability enhancers from the launch platform earns me illions at times. Is anything of that possibly part of a known issue?

Only activated strategies are massive launches and duna program (manned). Had the same thing happening at some point with only a moon program contract active. Set contract earnings to 90% when creating my career.

Sorry that I can't give more info, not sure what else to look at. Mods are up to date, KSP 1.1.

Logs and screenshots would help here, it's not something I've heard of in either 1.0.5 or 1.1.

24 minutes ago, nightingale said:

Logs and screenshots would help here, it's not something I've heard of in either 1.0.5 or 1.1.

Alright, I'll get you both the next time I'll see it! Not sure if I manage today, it's already quite late over here.

Worst case, it might not even be an issue with the mod but some incompatability.

5 hours ago, regex said:

Is there a wiki or documentation on adding/editing strategies for this mod?

Short Answer: No.

Long Answer: When I originally started building this mod, I considered making it the "Contract Configurator of Strategies" (eg. all config based, very modular, well documented).  For a number of reasons I decided against this approach (including some KSP technical limitations).  So there really isn't any documentation, but I've still left it open to at least some change.  I'm happy to provide support and make some improvements in documentation/functionality, but would need to know what you have in mind as I imagine it could range from trying to tweak the values for personal use to using this as a base for a whole new mod.

Most of the stuff that is config-changeable are the StrategyEffects, which are all here in GitHub.  For the most part they are all pretty simple, so reverse engineering what you can do in the config (although not ideal) shouldn't be too difficult for someone with KSP modding knowledge.

Cool, I've appointed myself to look into integrating this into RP-0 (unless someone steps in earlier or later) so I'll probably be asking questions.  I appreciate the pointers to the right code.

6 minutes ago, regex said:

Cool, I've appointed myself to look into integrating this into RP-0 (unless someone steps in earlier or later) so I'll probably be asking questions.  I appreciate the pointers to the right code.

Ah, good stuff.  The broad strokes for RSS compatibility are there (ie. dynamic handling of Celestial Bodies), but there's definitely lots to be done to get it fitting with RP-0.  Off the top of my head:

1. De-Kerbalization of text
  2. Outright removal/re-write of some strategies (things like Contract Slot Machine are sort of lol-sey and may not fit with a more serious RP-0 vibe).
  3. Balancing of values (duh).

Of course, this isn't something I've given much thought to, so you're probably already ahead of me. :)

2 minutes ago, nightingale said:

Of course, this isn't something I've given much thought to, so you're probably already ahead of me. :)

Yeah, I'm basically going to be starting from scratch, I think, but that's not your fault or anything.  Gotta take a look at what you have for ideas, maybe check out what Test Flight is doing, write a few effects as needed, etc...  It's going to be a process but I'll likely start (pretty soon, still excited about/testing the pre-release :)) with a few easy programs I can get help with, like CORONA or Gemini or something.