[1.8.x+] Strategia [v1.8.0] [2019-10-22]

nightingale

Hyperediting to Moho and back did the trick.

As for the ship, the first image shows it before turning pilot focus III on, and the second is after. Starting from top to bottom, the engines are the stock 'spark' engine, Lightbulb from Atomic Rockets, R1 'Ratite' from SpaceY heavy lifters, R7 'Super Ratite' from SpaceY. The boosters are also from SpaceY heavy lifters. It's very strange that the ISP actually decreases for the lightbulb engine.

aaaaaStrategia2%20career_screenshot_2016

Edited by smjjames

So, a few questions:

1.  If this gets added to an existing save, what happens?

2.  I wouldn't mind adding in support for this in my unmanned missions (and other contact packs), want to talk about it?

3.  My new simulation mod should be released this week, might make sense to add some integration.  

Edited by linuxgurugamer

14 hours ago, nightingale said:

Right, and that's the entirety of the strategy, even without the actual values.

Just so we're on the same page - Is this to use as an out of game reference, or are you looking to see as a "try before you buy" type of thing?  If it's the latter, I think you'll find that the strategies do a lot of different things than the stock "take X and give Y" strategies.

I'm going for "Try before you buy". RAM is precious on my computer, and this would mean getting a total of 3 new mods. If the ram requirement for this mod (and dependencies) is tiny, I will get it regardless of what it actually does (It's not like I use the stock strategies), but if it has a fairly high ram requirement, or any of the dependencies do, I will need to evaluate it to see if it's worth the performance hit.

6 minutes ago, RocketSquid said:

I'm going for "Try before you buy". RAM is precious on my computer, and this would mean getting a total of 3 new mods. If the ram requirement for this mod (and dependencies) is tiny, I will get it regardless of what it actually does (It's not like I use the stock strategies), but if it has a fairly high ram requirement, or any of the dependencies do, I will need to evaluate it to see if it's worth the performance hit.

The only things that would remotely impact ram are texture mods and part mods.

That said, I can attest that I haven't noticed any significant increase in RAM usage from this or it's dependencies.

7 hours ago, smjjames said:

As for the ship, the first image shows it before turning pilot focus III on, and the second is after. Starting from top to bottom, the engines are the stock 'spark' engine, Lightbulb from Atomic Rockets, R1 'Ratite' from SpaceY heavy lifters, R7 'Super Ratite' from SpaceY. The boosters are also from SpaceY heavy lifters. It's very strange that the ISP actually decreases for the lightbulb engine.

I'll take a look.  It's possible that because it's a mod engine there's something going on there that I wasn't expecting.

---

5 hours ago, Hrv123 said:

Any chance this could work with RSS?

It should already (guess I should put that in OP)!

---

5 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

So, a few questions:

1.  If this gets added to an existing save, what happens?

2.  I wouldn't mind adding in support for this in my unmanned missions (and other contact packs), want to talk about it?

3.  My new simulation mod should be released this week, might make sense to add some integration.  

1) Fun times!  It'll deactivate any existing strategies, but aside from that you should be able to start using this mid-save.

2 & 3) Sure, let me know what you're thinking and we'll see what we can do.

@nightingale Are there additional conditions required for an impact probe impact to count for the impact probe contract? I tried one at Eve, but that one burned up nearly instantly, so, I assume that doesn't count, then I impacted one into Moho and that didn't count either. For the ones at Eve and Moho, I just put the periapsis inside the planet and let the impact happen, didn't try to circularize or anything.

edit: Going to try the contract with the max altitude set to 1,000 instead of 100, maybe that's where the problem is. Edit2: That didn't work, going to try 10,000 100,000. edit3: That didn't work either, I'm out of ideas (as far as what I have to work with anyway).

Edited by smjjames

2 hours ago, smjjames said:

@nightingale Are there additional conditions required for an impact probe impact to count for the impact probe contract? I tried one at Eve, but that one burned up nearly instantly, so, I assume that doesn't count, then I impacted one into Moho and that didn't count either. For the ones at Eve and Moho, I just put the periapsis inside the planet and let the impact happen, didn't try to circularize or anything.

edit: Going to try the contract with the max altitude set to 1,000 instead of 100, maybe that's where the problem is. Edit2: That didn't work, going to try 10,000 100,000. edit3: That didn't work either, I'm out of ideas (as far as what I have to work with anyway).

Do you mind trying with mustImpactTerrain = false?  Also, make sure you're making that edit in your save file and not the contract files (the values get copied to the save file when the contract is offered, so changing it in the definition files will only change it for next time the contract is offered).  Finally, can you confirm if the probe core is getting destroyed?

I remember @NathanKell set up similar contracts in RP-0 and had to jump through tons of hoops to get it working in all situations.  I thought I'd worked through most of the bugs, but apparently not.

32 minutes ago, nightingale said:

Do you mind trying with mustImpactTerrain = false?  Also, make sure you're making that edit in your save file and not the contract files (the values get copied to the save file when the contract is offered, so changing it in the definition files will only change it for next time the contract is offered).  Finally, can you confirm if the probe core is getting destroyed?

I remember @NathanKell set up similar contracts in RP-0 and had to jump through tons of hoops to get it working in all situations.  I thought I'd worked through most of the bugs, but apparently not.

Oh whoops, I've been changing the contract file, didn't know I was supposed to edit the savefile as well. I've been going for total destruction of the craft, so yes, I can confirm the probe core is being destroyed.

I'll try the mustimpactterrain=false. I know that one works because it's used for the historical contracts.

edit: Tried both mustimpactterran= False and max alt thing at 100,000 and it still doesn't work.

Edited by smjjames

56 minutes ago, smjjames said:

Oh whoops, I've been changing the contract file, didn't know I was supposed to edit the savefile as well. I've been going for total destruction of the craft, so yes, I can confirm the probe core is being destroyed.

Just tested on Moho and it worked for me, so it can't be completely buggered.  Can I get a copy of your persistent file (to see the contract's state) and a screenshot of the ship a few seconds before impacting (so I can gather stuff like speed, ship composition, etc.)

19 minutes ago, nightingale said:

Just tested on Moho and it worked for me, so it can't be completely buggered.  Can I get a copy of your persistent file (to see the contract's state) and a screenshot of the ship a few seconds before impacting (so I can gather stuff like speed, ship composition, etc.)

http://sta.sh/0uykbq5tbwb

I hyperedited the craft into Moho orbit.

Strategia2%20career_screenshot_2016-02-1

1 hour ago, smjjames said:

Don't get what's different - I can get it to trigger easily.  Okay, I'll need you to try some different stuff for me:

1. On the VesselParameterGroup node with title = Moho, change hideChildren to False (this should give more info in the contract app).
  2. Take a quicksave sometime before impact, and send that along with a screenshot of the contracts window
  3. Also send a log from after the collision.

All I have to say is this. I've rarely played a career game before. The stock contracts have always left a bad taste in my mouth. It just seems like you just aimlessly do things to get science and rep: no real goals. Today, I played with this mod and dependencies for 12 hours strait, for the first time, career was actually fun to do. I give this mod two thumbs up. Yes, I am entertained. 

thumbs_up_waynes_world_zpsxvlnve3t.gif

670e66c140aa4f32fa7989cc5556daba2f4c45bf

11 hours ago, nightingale said:

Don't get what's different - I can get it to trigger easily.  Okay, I'll need you to try some different stuff for me:

1. On the VesselParameterGroup node with title = Moho, change hideChildren to False (this should give more info in the contract app).
  2. Take a quicksave sometime before impact, and send that along with a screenshot of the contracts window
  3. Also send a log from after the collision.

Okay, you did see where I changed the maxterrainaltitude part and mustimpactterrain= False? Because that would be different for sure.

edit: It's not giving more info in the contracts app.... not in the KSC screen anyway and yes I edited the persistent file. Edit2: Still not giving me more info. I think I saw a 'hide children' parameter for the root of the contract, so, I'll try that. nope

edit3: Going to cancel the strategy and re-enable it after editing the config for the contract. I've been using a copy of the main save, so, doing that isn't a problem.

edit4: STILL not giving me more details. Going to give it a try though. I'll note that I've done impact probes before with the historical contracts and had no problems with those. They were body specific though.

quicksave and the later output log: http://sta.sh/018ilolfi4jo

Edited by smjjames

34 minutes ago, smjjames said:

Okay, you did see where I changed the maxterrainaltitude part and mustimpactterrain= False? Because that would be different for sure.

edit: It's not giving more info in the contracts app.... not in the KSC screen anyway and yes I edited the persistent file. Edit2: Still not giving me more info. I think I saw a 'hide children' parameter for the root of the contract, so, I'll try that. nope

edit3: Going to cancel the strategy and re-enable it after editing the config for the contract. I've been using a copy of the main save, so, doing that isn't a problem.

edit4: STILL not giving me more details. Going to give it a try though. I'll note that I've done impact probes before with the historical contracts and had no problems with those. They were body specific though.

quicksave and the later output log: http://sta.sh/018ilolfi4jo

Okay, looks like for some reason it's not registering the terrain altitude for you (mod/part incompatibility?).  Can you try it one more time with the maxTerrainAltitude removed completely (just delete that line from the save file).

8 minutes ago, nightingale said:

Okay, looks like for some reason it's not registering the terrain altitude for you (mod/part incompatibility?).  Can you try it one more time with the maxTerrainAltitude removed completely (just delete that line from the save file).

Took a few seconds to register but that worked. :) I have no idea whether it's a mod/part incompatibility or what it's conflicting with.

1 minute ago, smjjames said:

Took a few seconds to register but that worked. :) I have no idea whether it's a mod/part incompatibility or what it's conflicting with.

Stock bug could do it too.  Not enough info to figure out what's going on, but I know how to fix it on my end now. :)

Just a thought, would it be possible to add some sort of toggle that shows the changed deltaV in the VAB/SPH when pilot focus III is on? Maybe when a pilot is in the crew roster, I don't know.

The other issues would have to be solved first of course.

6 hours ago, smjjames said:

Just a thought, would it be possible to add some sort of toggle that shows the changed deltaV in the VAB/SPH when pilot focus III is on? Maybe when a pilot is in the crew roster, I don't know.

The other issues would have to be solved first of course.

Low priority, won't be for the next release.  Raised #25.  It would just change the ISP, and have KER/MechJeb/whatever show the actual delta V.

10 hours ago, nightingale said:

Low priority, won't be for the next release.  Raised #25.  It would just change the ISP, and have KER/MechJeb/whatever show the actual delta V.

So, there would not be a message on screen with the ISP changes?  That would be preferable for folks like me who prefer not to know too much detail.

17 minutes ago, Death Engineering said:

So, there would not be a message on screen with the ISP changes?  That would be preferable for folks like me who prefer not to know too much detail.

Undecided, but I'm actually considering not doing that change anyway.  Mainly because it's may be complex, and it could cause confusion.  You will see the correct ISP if you right click the engine in flight though (correct meaning with the bonus applied, if it's applicable).