[1.8.x+] Strategia [v1.8.0] [2019-10-22]

nightingale

11 hours ago, nightingale said:

Low priority, won't be for the next release.  Raised #25.  It would just change the ISP, and have KER/MechJeb/whatever show the actual delta V.

Yeah, that's the idea I was getting at.

Did you ever figure out what was up with the pilot focus III strategy decreasing the vacuum ISP of the lightbulb engine? If you've gotten around to it yet.

3 minutes ago, smjjames said:

Yeah, that's the idea I was getting at.

Did you ever figure out what was up with the pilot focus III strategy decreasing the vacuum ISP of the lightbulb engine? If you've gotten around to it yet.

Haven't had a chance to look into it yet.

Thank you for taking the time to make this intriguing-sounding mod, Nightingale.  I will try it with my next career save.  (I assume it makes sense to use it only in career mode.)  I've almost never touched the stock strategies, so I appreciate your effort to deepen that area of gameplay.

I'd love to see a variant on this mod that doesn't affect ship part values, since that's pretty unrealistic. A skilled pilot isn't going to make engines more efficient, nor will a skilled engineer affect the strength of parachute, etc.

4 minutes ago, dlrk said:

I'd love to see a variant on this mod that doesn't affect ship part values, since that's pretty unrealistic. A skilled pilot isn't going to make engines more efficient, nor will a skilled engineer affect the strength of parachute, etc.

Suspension of disbelief required.  Basically, I wanted the top-level Pilot/Engineer/Scientist to bring something unique to the table that was a bit more than "more funds/science/rep but in a different way".  KSP gives me limited levers in which to accomplish that.

2 hours ago, dlrk said:

You could think of it as the pilot flying more efficiently, but yeah, as nightingale said, some suspension of disbelief is required.

I'm giving this a go, so far it seems pretty cool. I'm not sure if it's a bug (or feature :D) in this or one of the dependencies, but so far all of my rescue missions in career have been Kerbals stranded in orbit. As is, naked Kerbals, no craft- just lonely Kerbals orbiting Kerbin. Which is actually great because less debris, but I doubt this is intended behavior.  In Contract Config. I have Grand Tour, Survey, Tourist, and Part contracts unchecked (I didn't know the toggles existed until today they are really awesome). I did the Manned Mun Admin contract, but right now Jeb is stuck in orbit around the Mun because of *ahem* dV issues. I do have other new mods in this install, trajectories and the Navball Docking Alignment one- all other mods have been used in previous installs with no issues, of course it could be a conflict. 

Edit: I forgot I had a MM file with this,

@PART[*]:HAS[@INTERNAL[*]]:FINAL
{
    !INTERNAL,* {}
}

Sorry, this is a lousy bug report, I'll have to do more research. Anyhow, love the mods!

Edited by Waxing_Kibbous

On 2/19/2016 at 5:55 PM, smjjames said:

You could think of it as the pilot flying more efficiently, but yeah, as nightingale said, some suspension of disbelief is required.

How I interpret this is like a Formula 1 racing team where one driver is clearly superior over the other. Even though both cars are prepared identically, one driver consistently manages to squeeze more performance out of the machinery than the other driver is able to.

6 hours ago, Waxing_Kibbous said:

I'm giving this a go, so far it seems pretty cool. I'm not sure if it's a bug (or feature :D) in this or one of the dependencies, but so far all of my rescue missions in career have been Kerbals stranded in orbit. As is, naked Kerbals, no craft- just lonely Kerbals orbiting Kerbin. Which is actually great because less debris, but I doubt this is intended behavior.  In Contract Config. I have Grand Tour, Survey, Tourist, and Part contracts unchecked (I didn't know the toggles existed until today they are really awesome). I did the Manned Mun Admin contract, but right now Jeb is stuck in orbit around the Mun because of *ahem* dV issues. I do have other new mods in this install, trajectories and the Navball Docking Alignment one- all other mods have been used in previous installs with no issues, of course it could be a conflict. 

Well, the rescue missions are completely a stock thing.  I don't know offhand how it decides whether it should be a solo Kerbal vs. a pod, but your Module Manager patch certainly seems like something that could potentially cause it.

1 hour ago, Death Engineering said:

How I interpret this is like a Formula 1 racing team where one driver is clearly superior over the other. Even though both cars are prepared identically, one driver consistently manages to squeeze more performance out of the machinery than the other driver is able to.

Yup, that's exactly how I tried to justify it in my head!

Are the Massive Scale Launches strategies intended to only apply to launches from Kerbin (and it seems like they are)? Because I just had it apply to a ship launching off from the Mun.

Also, the contract slot machine still shuffling the contract rewards between scene changes hasn't been fixed yet, though there hasn't been a new update yet anyhow.

Enjoying this mod a lot.

Pro tip #1: There is a scroll bar at the bottom that goes from left to right! I kept wondering where my Free Icecream was (and the rest of the advisors)! I am not a clever man.:(

Pro tip #2: You can enable multiple policies from the same advisor.

Only things I can think of off hand; keep up the good work.

This mod is amazing, thank you!  Your Contract mods and mod support have made career mode truly immersive and fun for me. Thanks again @nightingale

Newbie request: I was wondering if you could make the Mun and Minmus programs separate. ( When you complete either the manned or probe portion for the Mun you can no longer do the respective Minmus one)

Quick question: With the massive scale launchers strategy, does the payload need to be the specified weight or the entire craft? 

I made the same mistake with the scroll bar to see the rest of the strategies as Deimos Rast.  you are not alone :)

Any suggestions on incorporating this into an in progress career game?  I just went into the admin building and dropped my current strategy, shut down the game, installed the mod, loaded up the game.   I see that the base level admin now has 2 slots, but it won't let me take 2 things, giving an error message that the level 1 facility can only have 1 strat, despite there be two slots visually and the right click menu on the main screen showing it has a max of 2.  

10 hours ago, smjjames said:

Are the Massive Scale Launches strategies intended to only apply to launches from Kerbin (and it seems like they are)? Because I just had it apply to a ship launching off from the Mun.

Whoops.  Enjoy the extra funds for now - I've fixed this one for the next release.

10 hours ago, smjjames said:

Also, the contract slot machine still shuffling the contract rewards between scene changes hasn't been fixed yet, though there hasn't been a new update yet anyhow.

Going to be sitting down and fixing all these issues for the next release soon.  Raised #26.

4 hours ago, Deimos Rast said:

Pro tip #1: There is a scroll bar at the bottom that goes from left to right! I kept wondering where my Free Icecream was (and the rest of the advisors)! I am not a clever man.:(

2 hours ago, Sp4C3M0nk3Y said:

I made the same mistake with the scroll bar to see the rest of the strategies as Deimos Rast.  you are not alone :)

I actually also missed the scrollbars for a bit when I was first testing if more than 4 departments would work.  I'm actually going to make a change to widen that area Wider Contracts App-style, but I wanted to wait for KSP 1.1 (otherwise I'd have to rewrite the code anyway).

2 hours ago, Sp4C3M0nk3Y said:

Newbie request: I was wondering if you could make the Mun and Minmus programs separate. ( When you complete either the manned or probe portion for the Mun you can no longer do the respective Minmus one)

Actually that was a change that I'd been meaning to do during the beta but never got around to.  Originally the idea was that the player would have to choose one, but since the window for it closes when you go interplanetary anyway, I figured being allowed to do both wouldn't be a problem.  Anyway, changed that for the next release.

53 minutes ago, eberkain said:

Any suggestions on incorporating this into an in progress career game?  I just went into the admin building and dropped my current strategy, shut down the game, installed the mod, loaded up the game.   I see that the base level admin now has 2 slots, but it won't let me take 2 things, giving an error message that the level 1 facility can only have 1 strat, despite there be two slots visually and the right click menu on the main screen showing it has a max of 2.  

That's another GUI change that I'm hoping to work in for the post-KSP 1.1 release.  It's working correctly, I have it allowing one extra so you can upgrade strategies (it will momentarily have one extra, then cancel the old one).  The only way KSP allows me to do that is by having the extra free slot.  Anyway, I'll do some hacking to the GUI so it doesn't *look* like there's a free slot anymore. :)

22 minutes ago, Nago said:

Hi ! There seems to be a little error in the setup cost, look at this screenshot :

oEcZ5F9.jpg

That's a stock KSP bug, it's not taking the discount into effect.  If it's still like that in 1.1 I'll see if I can work around it.

EDIT: That is, it's a stock bug in the text in the window - the correct amount will be removed from your Funds.

Edited by nightingale

Ran into an exception when messing around in sandbox mode. When I rapidly clicked the hire button (was just hiring a whole bunch), I got this exception several times while doing that:

InvalidOperationException: Operation is not valid due to the current state of the object
  at System.Linq.Enumerable.Last[Popup] (IEnumerable`1 source) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

at Strategia.CurrencyPopup.OnCrewHired (.ProtoCrewMember pcm, Int32 count) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

at EventData`2[ProtoCrewMember,System.Int32].Fire (.ProtoCrewMember data0, Int32 data1) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

at KerbalRoster.HireApplicant (.ProtoCrewMember ap) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

at CMAstronautComplex.HireRecruit (.UIScrollList fromlist, .UIScrollList tolist, .UIListItemContainer dragObject) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

at CMAstronautComplex.Vbutton (.POINTER_INFO& ptr) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

at (wrapper delegate-invoke) EZInputDelegate:invoke_void__this___POINTER_INFO& (POINTER_INFO&)

at UIButton.OnInput (.POINTER_INFO& ptr) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

at AutoSpriteControlBase.OnInput (POINTER_INFO ptr) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

at UIManager.DispatchHelper (.POINTER_INFO& curPtr, Int32 camIndex) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

at UIManager.DispatchInput () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

at UIManager.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

at UIManager.DidAnyPointerHitUI () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

at SpaceCenterCamera2.InputCamera () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

at SpaceCenterCamera2.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

All of a sudden, later, I can't click on any of the KSC buildings anymore, don't know what happened or if it's related.

Edited by smjjames

On 2/23/2016 at 3:38 PM, Snark said:

Out of curiosity, any plans to make this mod available on SpaceDock?  I loved the previous hosting site, have transferred that love to SpaceDock, would love to be able to find & follow mods there.  :)

I understand that people do like the functionality that emails when an update occurs, but it requires too much maintenance to host my mods in two places (and there are other benefits to doing it on GitHub).  So no plans on hosting on SpaceDock, sorry!

On 2/23/2016 at 9:28 PM, smjjames said:

Ran into an exception when messing around in sandbox mode. When I rapidly clicked the hire button (was just hiring a whole bunch), I got this exception several times while doing that:

<snip>

All of a sudden, later, I can't click on any of the KSC buildings anymore, don't know what happened or if it's related.

Yup, that's all related.  Fixed for next release, thanks.

You know, one thing that I've noticed is that the 2.5% bonus to ISP has a tendency to be REALLY, REALLY, OP. Btw, the stage that is not being affected has the lightbulb engine. Last time I tried it with Pilot Focus III, it decreased, but nothing is happening there and there have been no changes to Atomic Age or Strategia since that. So, go figure.....

5 hours ago, smjjames said:

You know, one thing that I've noticed is that the 2.5% bonus to ISP has a tendency to be REALLY, REALLY, OP. Btw, the stage that is not being affected has the lightbulb engine. Last time I tried it with Pilot Focus III, it decreased, but nothing is happening there and there have been no changes to Atomic Age or Strategia since that. So, go figure.....

Yeah, I still haven't had a chance to look at the ISP stuff, but it's clearly broken.  Delta v should increase proportionally to ISP, so a 2.5% increase in ISP should just be a 2.5% increase in delta-v.  I'd expect your last stage to have 1015 m/s of delta v after the change - not 5200.  That's *really* badly broken. :(

4 hours ago, eberkain said:

I have been getting a ton of rep since installing the mod, just launching a rover to do some science around ksc gives 20+ rep.  Normal?

20 rep from the science, from a contract, from something else?  Which strategy/strategies do you have active?  Might be normal, but not enough info to say for sure.