[1.8.x+] Strategia [v1.8.0] [2019-10-22]

nightingale

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone else experienced strange flickering of the menu when in the administration building?
Using 1.6.1

Edit:
Found the culprit. There is no `title` definition for the Strategia Agent.

Edited by _Zee

10 hours ago, _Zee said:

Has anyone else experienced strange flickering of the menu when in the administration building?
Using 1.6.1

Edit:
Found the culprit. There is no `title` definition for the Strategia Agent.

Huh, I didn't realize that would have that impact.  I've already fixed it, but just haven't released the fix yet - should be getting to that soon.  Otherwise I'd expect this runs fine in 1.6.1.

4 hours ago, nightingale said:

Huh, I didn't realize that would have that impact.  I've already fixed it, but just haven't released the fix yet - should be getting to that soon.  Otherwise I'd expect this runs fine in 1.6.1.

100%, I made the fix on my end and it's running perfectly.

• 2 weeks later...

I love the idea behind this mod but I feel the strategies are poorly balanced and/or implementation could be done better? I have no idea how much flexibility you have here, but the problem is something like To Boldly Go... is overwhelmingly the best strategy because it pays out so damn much money, especially if you can unlock it before you get to the Mun. Meanwhile strategies like Free Icecream really don't pay off at all, especially since there's other rep-building strategies like Stagnant Science that cost less and give you permanent boosts. Additionally, if you're using the Community Tech Tree, Stagnant Science pays out ENORMOUSLY huge reputation gains in the early game that make it easy to grind the rep needed to get the better strategies.

Additionally, something like Local Science kind of encourages you to do no science around the KSC until you unlock Level 3. Then you do a bunch of science, and then abandon the strategy for something better. Or unlock it later just for some easy/free science discounts on the more expensive stuff, then abandon the strategy again, because there's no penalty to doing so. 

Media Circus likewise seems too niche. Reputation isn't really that important at all in the game, and there's limited opportunities in that strategy to take advantage of it (bonus rep for astronaut experience gains, but what if my astronauts already got that experience?). 

Can something be done with the strategy "slots" that would allow players to only take a limited number of 'really good' strategies (like To Boldly Go) or instead a mix of lower-tier ones? 

I mean I really don't know why anyone would ever pay 1,000 science for Stagnated Research III when all you get is rep gains, which nobody cares about. 

Edited by Frostiken

Back again with another bug report. Something else is broken with the handling of the KSC overview UI. Damaged facilities cannot be repaired while Strategia is installed. Tried to look for the cause as best I could but wasn't able to find it.

Edit: After some more testing it seems to be the specific combination of Contract Configurator and Strategia. If either mod is installed without the other then building repairs work no problem.

Edited by _Zee

Regarding the Manned vs Unmanned contracts, do I need to only do unmanned/manned once during each transfer window? Um, that's clear as mud lol. Basically, is it possible to send a flotilla during a transfer window that includes probes and kerbals? Or would that lock me out of the manned strategy since I'll have already sent Kerbals to orbit Duna, for example?

• 1 month later...
On 12/12/2018 at 9:26 PM, nightingale said:

Exactly 6 months between releases, we've almost got some sort of release cadence going!  Download here.

Strategia 1.7.3

• Fixed active strategy text in facility right-click menu (thanks avalancha).

Using Strategia 1.7.3

I wanted to allow more strategies to be active at one time and ran into what appears to be a bug. The actual limit on strategies seems to always be one less than what is defined by activeStrategyLimit. The right click menu on the facility in the space center does not agree with the actual number of max strategies.

With CustomBarnKit and NO Strategia installed I get activeStrategyLimit = 1, 3, 5 as set in the GameData\CustomBarnKit\default.cfg

When I add Strategia I get activeStrategyLimit = 1, 2, 3 even though the ModuleManager.ConfigCache shows activeStrategyLimit = 2, 3, 4 which was defined by the GameData\Strategia\CustomBarnKitConfig.cfg

I setup a patch to set activeStrategyLimit = 3, 6, 9 and get actual limits of 2, 5, 8 while the Space Center facility right click menu tells me 1, 2, 3 as I upgrade.

I can provide logs if you want, but there aren't any errors or warnings being thrown that I can see.

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, MaximumThrust said:

@_ZeeCould you give a more detailed explanation on how to fix that? Thanks!

in KSP 1.6.1\GameData\Strategia\Contracts\Agents

The file: Strategia.cfg

starts with:

// Contract Agent definition for all Strategia contracts.
//   Author: nightingale

AGENT
{
    name = Strategia

description = Creating new strategic initiatives world-wide!

It should have an "agent =" line after "name ="

like this:

// Contract Agent definition for all Strategia contracts.
//   Author: nightingale

AGENT
{
    name = Strategia
    title = Strategia
    description = Creating new strategic initiatives world-wide!

AFAIK the title entry does not have to match the name. But In all the mods I have seen with Agent config files they are. There may be a few with a title different from the name, but I haven't seen one yet.

Edited by BlackHat

2 minutes ago, BlackHat said:

AFAIK the title entry does not have to match the name. But In all the mods I have seen with Agent config files they are. There may be a few with a title different from the name, but I haven't seen one yet.

SCANsat is one of the few I've seen that have them different.

name = SCAN
        title = SCAN: Scientific Committee on Advanced Navigation

But, you're right the vast majority just duplicate the entries, including all the Squad agents.

9 hours ago, dlrk said:

What is considered "Kerbin science" with regard to Local Science? Kerbin orbit? Kerbin SOI including Mun and Minmus? Just Kerbin planetary science?

It's been awhile since I looked at it. I Believe "Local Science" gives you a bonus for KSC science only.

(taking a quick looking at the config, it may also give you a smaller bonus for all other Kerbin science in Kerbin SOI (but not Mun or Minmus)

Since the Admin building tops at level 3 is there any way to get more than 3 strategies active simultaneously? When I mouse over the "fully upgraded" upgrade button it says "max.active strategies:4" but I can not press it to upgrade the building.

Edited by precision77

Kind of necro'ing my own comment from 2017 regarding the Impactor Probes strategy description, it is misleading, because it doesn't consider Mun or Minmus as valid targets, and it could be misunderstood to invalidate the landing requirements for the other planetary probe strategies.

First of all, it doesn't accept Mun or Minmus as valid targets. I think it's the

if (body != home)

line under Util/CelestialBodyUtil.cs that's responsible for that filtering out. If it's intentional, so be it, but it should be clarified in the strategy description, instead of leaving the player on the hook for a huge cancellation penalty when they realize they have to go out of Kerbin's system to fulfill the strategy. I understand you might want to filter out Kerbin itself (even though it's a celestial body), but the home moons should be legit targets.

The other part of my comment regarding the progression, is that if you complete this strategy before the other "planetary probes" strategies (land a probe in 3 biomes of a planet), I was concerned I wouldn't be able to take a planetary probe strategy since one of the prerequisites would be lost ("Must not have landed at [planet]"). To clarify this I did some Hyperedit shenanigans and it appears a crash doesn't count as landing, so the other strategies are still doable. Not sure how this could be made less ambiguous in the descriptions however.

Edited by AlexisBV

@nightingale I made a PR on github for a bug fix. I was running into a devious little bug that would sometimes nerf the reaction wheels in a vessel. It only happened in my current career save, I couldn't reproduce it in a fresh career or in sandbox. It usually affected rockets with a probe as the command module, but sometimes even manned capsules could have problems. It typically showed up as an inability to rotate a booster to circularize on launch. Once the final stage separated there usually weren't any problems.

In my original career I was using the Engineer Focus III strategy that should improve reaction wheels by 50% with an engineer on board. I tracked it down to VesselValueImprover function was actually setting all reaction wheel torques equal to first reaction wheel in a vessel.

The code as written built a list of existing parts, but the key for the list was not unique across different parts like it looked like it should have been. What would happen is the values of the first part would define the dictionary entry for all subsequent similar parts in the same vessel, i.e. all reaction wheels got the same value. Not a big deal if it's a big reaction wheel. But if the first reaction wheel is a small probe core, then it nerfs the reaction wheels of the rest of the vessel. I also added a debug message to check the values were calculated correctly.

EDIT: Don't use the PR. I switched to a station that had several docked ships. The VesselValueImprover iterated through all the parts of all vessels for each docked vessel, so the torques were multiplied by a ridiculous amount.  It looks like a dictionary is the way to go, but a fix to identify each part needs to be done.

EDIT AGAIN: PR is ready to go. Switch from partname to persistenID for the key in the dictionary of original part values. Partname was not unique, persistentID is unique for every part in the save, so the dictionary of original values works. Tested for a single ship and a station with about 6 vessels docked together.

Edited by Tonka Crash

So I'm missing the Duna program. I have everything else including the gas giants from OPM, but for some reason it just skips right past Duna in the strategy list. I've spent the last hour scanning through the log and trying to see if another mod is affecting it, but I'm not having any luck. Originally I'd thought Research Bodies was causing it as I've got a separate (or maybe not) issue with that mod wherein Duna should be visible based on my starting settings, but its not, but uninstalling that mod did not fix the missing Duna program from this mod an now I'm at a loss. I'm really hoping someone here has seen this before and has an idea of how to correct it, if not, I'll go ahead and link a copy of my logs in the hopes that someone who knows what to look for can spot an error that I'm missing.

Thanks

Logs

EDIT: The issue appears to reside in Sigma Binary. Although that mod is pretty old, it does work on its own just fine in the current version of KSP, the issue is that it converts both bodies into "moons" of their barycenter, which then causes problems with mods like this one which are searching through the bodies list for targets. The question I have now is whether or not there is any way to write a patch / config for Strategia that will bring back the missing programs (was actually missing two more between Duna and Jool without realizing it) without having to lose out on Sigma Binary?

Thanks again

Edited by SpacedInvader

• 1 month later...

On 1.7.0 I'm getting Nullrefs for Strategia when I right click the Administration/Strategy building. Appears to work fine regardless, but I set KSP to show errors onscreen and it's kinda.. bugging me :P

Log: https://www.dropbox.com/s/yoi8cng8xc0upzc/Strategia_Nullref_output_log.zip?dl=0

Disregard the nullrefs from Basic dV, Waypoint Manager, and Mandatory RCS. I've already reported those.

================================================

Edit: @nightingale I tested Strategia on a clean 1.7.1.02539 +MH +BG installation, just Strategia +dependencies (CC, MM, CBK), with a fresh career save.

When I loaded into the Space Center I right clicked the strategy building -> No Nullref. I then accepted two contracts (test flea and test hammer at launch site) and the hammer contract instantly failed when I entered the VAB.
After testing the flea and completing that contract I switched back to the Space Center (via Recover Vessel) and right clicked the strategy building -> Nullref, each and every time I rightclicked.

So. Two bugs:
1. Contracts failing for no reason;
2. Nullrefs on right click;

Outputlog: https://www.dropbox.com/s/wrm7iut56t3bvsn/output_logStrategia.zip?dl=0

Spoiler

[ApplicationLauncher] OnSceneLoadedGUIReady: scene EDITOR ShouldBeVisible() True ShouldBeOnTop() False iIsPositionedAtTop False

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/DebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 51)				
	Penalizing 1800 funds from player for contract failure

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/DebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 51)				
	Penalizing 1 reputation from player for contract failure

Added -1.000018 (-1) reputation: 'ContractPenalty'.

Contract (Test No situation report available.): We have failed our contract for Research & Development Department: Test No situation report available.				
			<b><color=#ED0B0B>Penalties for Failure:</color></b> <color=#ED0B0B><sprite="CurrencySpriteAsset" name="Funds" tint=1>  -1,800   </color><color=#ED0B0B><sprite="CurrencySpriteAsset" name="Reputation" tint=1> -1   </color>

Spoiler

Exception handling event onFacilityContextMenuSpawn in class StrategyNotifier:System.NullReferenceException: 
  at (wrapper managed-to-native) UnityEngine.MonoBehaviour:StartCoroutine_Auto_Internal (System.Collections.IEnumerator)
  at UnityEngine.MonoBehaviour.StartCoroutine (IEnumerator routine) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Strategia.StrategyNotifier.OnFacilityContextMenuSpawn (KSP.UI.Screens.KSCFacilityContextMenu menu) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at EventData`1[KSP.UI.Screens.KSCFacilityContextMenu].Fire (KSP.UI.Screens.KSCFacilityContextMenu data) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

NullReferenceException
  at (wrapper managed-to-native) UnityEngine.MonoBehaviour:StartCoroutine_Auto_Internal (System.Collections.IEnumerator)
  at UnityEngine.MonoBehaviour.StartCoroutine (IEnumerator routine) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Strategia.StrategyNotifier.OnFacilityContextMenuSpawn (KSP.UI.Screens.KSCFacilityContextMenu menu) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at EventData`1[KSP.UI.Screens.KSCFacilityContextMenu].Fire (KSP.UI.Screens.KSCFacilityContextMenu data) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:Internal_LogException(Exception, Object)
UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
UnityEngine.Logger:LogException(Exception, Object)
UnityEngine.Debug:LogException(Exception)
EventData`1:Fire(KSCFacilityContextMenu)
KSP.UI.Screens.KSCFacilityContextMenu:Create(SpaceCenterBuilding, Callback`1)
SpaceCenterBuilding:OnContextMenuSpawn()
SpaceCenterBuilding:OnRightClick()
<OnMouseTap>c__Iterator1:MoveNext()
UnityEngine.SetupCoroutine:InvokeMoveNext(IEnumerator, IntPtr)

(Filename:  Line: -1)

Let's just say I don't envy you for owning several "Should be stock" mods ;)

Edited by Jognt

• 2 weeks later...

So, I am enjoying this mod so far, but I've run into a problem with the first strategy I've taken (the mun probes strategy). I landed a probe at the highlands, but the parameter isn't completing. Any Ideas? If it's a bug I can submit it, but I wanted to know if I'm just doing something wrong.

Edit: Nevermind, it just triggered when I went back into the game today and took control of the probe. Weird, but it seems a scene change made it fire.

Edited by teren989
Issue was resolved.

Love this mod, however, is there a way to disable the science transmitted blue text popup as it gets really intrusive when you run strategia alongside mods such as kerbalism as you get spammed by "+0.0 science transmitted" messages in every scene?

5 minutes ago, Rokmonkey said:

Alongside the contract packs, this is the best improvement to career mode hands down.

SQUAD would do well to just implement this into the base game.

Thank you for your service to the community.

IMO Squad is long overdue for doing this for the base game. They've relied on @nightingale's goodwill for a bit too long. I wouldn't be surprised if he's burned out from it.