[1.8.x+] Strategia [v1.8.0] [2019-10-22]

nightingale

8 hours ago, nightingale said:

A good ol' bug fix release, download here!

Strategia 1.2.1

• Fixed Pilot/Engineer/Scientist Focus strategies not actually giving the stated contract bonuses (thanks @DeathProphet).
  • Fixed compatibility with Sigma Binary (thanks @sentania).
  • Fixed hint text for crewed/uncrewed missions (thanks @severedsolo).
  • Fixed planetary probe strategies so they can't be re-done (thanks @ibanix).
  • Fixed reputation/funds being lost on scene change - normally after the quicksave but breaks KRASH (thanks @garwel and @linuxgurugamer).

Thanks for the update! I've noticed lacking funds and vanishing money, but found it very hard to pinpoint and report.

On the other hand, fighting with constantly low funding was interesting. I mean, there was also that reusable rocket whose development and testing costed like half a million, more than it would ever save, but lets not dwell on that one too much...

Edited by Temeter

I love this mod, but I'm having trouble with it. When I try to click on the Administration building, very often (read: 90% of the time), it appears for a split second, then disappears, as if it were a window and the KSC view was taking priority. The music still plays, and I can't click anything in KSC until I hit Escape to exit it. Then the music stops, and it goes back to normal.

Sometimes it goes into the administration building and stays until I move my mouse, but the instant I move my mouse, it glitches back to KSC again.

I don't have any other mods that modify the base structure or buildings at all, though I do have -tons- of other mods.

Also, this may have been asked before, but... is there any way to make the descriptions in the Admin window accurate to the number of strategies I can have active? It still says 2 for the initial building (when it'll actually only let me use 1), and 3 for the level 2 building (when it'll actually only let me have 2). Or is that a bug, that it won't let me have the stated number?

Edit: It may be a glitch with the game engine itself. I just had a debris recovery report window do the same thing (flash on the screen, then disappear). I suspect possibly something to do with Scatterer...

Edited by FirroSeranel

9 hours ago, Temeter said:

Hm, I still don't get money when I accept the jool 5 strategy... Or really any strategy right now. :(

What can I do to fix it or to help you help me fix it?

Can you confirm whether you got offered the Jool V contract when accepting the strategy?  I've seen some issues (but haven't been able to fully confirm/solve them) where the contract doesn't get given immediately.  If you don't have it, try to cancel a couple offered contracts to see if it gets automatically added to your list.

If that doesn't do it, then I'd need to see a KSP.log

1 hour ago, FirroSeranel said:

I love this mod, but I'm having trouble with it. When I try to click on the Administration building, very often (read: 90% of the time), it appears for a split second, then disappears, as if it were a window and the KSC view was taking priority. The music still plays, and I can't click anything in KSC until I hit Escape to exit it. Then the music stops, and it goes back to normal.

<snip>

Edit: It may be a glitch with the game engine itself. I just had a debris recovery report window do the same thing (flash on the screen, then disappear). I suspect possibly something to do with Scatterer...

Nothing I've ever heard of - I'd need to see a KSP.log (although confirming whether it works without Scatterer might be a good idea too.

Also, this may have been asked before, but... is there any way to make the descriptions in the Admin window accurate to the number of strategies I can have active? It still says 2 for the initial building (when it'll actually only let me use 1), and 3 for the level 2 building (when it'll actually only let me have 2). Or is that a bug, that it won't let me have the stated number?

It gets asked.  A lot.  It says 2/3/4, but it's really 1/2/3 and the extra slot is for the upgrade functionality.  I'm either going to fix the display (may not be possible because of stock limitations) or drop the upgrade functionality because the question gets asked too many times.

@nightingale I'm 99.9% sure that is actually normal for the debris report window. I've seen it myself and in various ppls streams as well.

I'll check if theres a bug report on it though. edit: Nope, it may have been like this in 1.0.5 as well though.

Edited by smjjames

22 minutes ago, nightingale said:

Can you confirm whether you got offered the Jool V contract when accepting the strategy?  I've seen some issues (but haven't been able to fully confirm/solve them) where the contract doesn't get given immediately.  If you don't have it, try to cancel a couple offered contracts to see if it gets automatically added to your list.

If that doesn't do it, then I'd need to see a KSP.log

Oh thanks, that's it! :3

Was confused cause i earlier got the contract instantly on first try, but not here.

Edited by Temeter

I have to say, I like this mod a lot. It's the first mod that makes strategies feel rewarding, before I always had the feeling stock stratagies were shooting myself in the foot, therefore I simply ignored them. But now they are fun

Edited by FreeThinker

2 hours ago, nobodyhasthis2 said:

How does "to boldly go" work again?

I need to know that exact conditions to match to get it to work. So far i have seen it trigger only once and then it never works again.  

Which effect?

To Boldly Go I adds +X Funds for science received from a biome where you've never gotten science before.
To Boldly Go II adds +X Funds for science received from a celestial body where you've never gotten science before.
To Boldly Go III adds milestone stuff.

Toss a save file my way (so I can see your science logs) and which biome/body you're getting science from and I'll take a look.

13 minutes ago, nightingale said:

Which effect?

To Boldly Go I adds +X Funds for science received from a biome where you've never gotten science before.
To Boldly Go II adds +X Funds for science received from a celestial body where you've never gotten science before.
To Boldly Go III adds milestone stuff.

Toss a save file my way (so I can see your science logs) and which biome/body you're getting science from and I'll take a look.

Does it only work once per mission?

If I fly through two biomes does it give +X twice?

1 minute ago, nightingale said:

No. Yes.

Ok cool.

Currently working on a new game install. So I could have broken something. Just not seeing the messages to prove this working. I think that I am only get one message per mission. Rather that send you save file just what I probably be better doing is finishing off the mod list. Then restart a brand new game with aircraft to see if multiple bonuses pay out with all the other mods running.  

Unless someone else comes along with the same symptoms. I am going to assume this is user error. :blush:

1 hour ago, nobodyhasthis2 said:

Ok cool.

Currently working on a new game install. So I could have broken something. Just not seeing the messages to prove this working. I think that I am only get one message per mission. Rather that send you save file just what I probably be better doing is finishing off the mod list. Then restart a brand new game with aircraft to see if multiple bonuses pay out with all the other mods running.  

Unless someone else comes along with the same symptoms. I am going to assume this is user error. :blush:

And just to be super clear, the trigger is the OnScienceReceived event - meaning that it should happen when you either transmit science or recover a craft (was on mobile earlier, so I wasn't all that verbose).

Hello, nightingale. I like the concept of this mod. but after looked through all strategies, I'm not going to use this.

I'm plying career mode with Community Tech Tree mod installed, which requires massive science points (I don't know the exact number, but it definitely over 100k) to unlock all techs. However, among all strategies in your mod, most options give bonus in fund (even the science category), some of them are even need science points to setup or reduce science income.

The original strategy system has option to convert/balance the three 'resources (fund, rep and science)' income. but in your mod, most of weights moved to fund. I think it is not balanced.

The rep in original system is basically for converting into funds and science points. Your mod doesn't make use of it except for setup strategies.

I don't know if you are still twerking this mod, if yes, hope my opinion helps you.

:lol:

I've been away from KSP for awhile, jumped back in for the 1.1 release. This mod looks incredible (unsurprising, since it's a @nightingale mod.) So here's a bug report.

Using the 1.2.1 release on a KSP1.1 x64 brand new Career mode save. I'm getting a bunch of CurrencyPopup.OnGui NREs, as well as a bunch of ReflectionTypeLoadExceptions. This is making the UI pretty unresponsive. I've got a fairly heavily modded install, so it could easily be a conflict. There's an image of my modlist below, and here's a link to my KSP.log.

COZzzrZ.png

7 minutes ago, Mr Shifty said:

Disregard above, I was using bad versions of a few mods (Infernal Robotics, Persistent Rotation, and KPlus.) I deleted those (updated IR) and everything runs great.

The NREs are a valid bug, already fixed for next release. They shouldn't hurt anything though.

I believe I've found a bug in Strategia. The vertical scrollbar in the Administration Building doesn't allow you to scroll, which isn't normally a problem, since all the strategies will fit in the vertical space if you're using the stock solar system, but if you add more bodies to the system, you can run out of vertical space for all of the new mission strategies.

For the screenshot and KSP.log, I used a clean install of KSP, added Strategia (plus dependencies), and added Kopernicus + OPM (to add enough planets to show the issue). No other mods are installed.

Screenshot showing the overflowing Crewed Missions column

KSP.log from the clean install I mentioned above

8 hours ago, wqt0806 said:

I'm plying career mode with Community Tech Tree mod installed, which requires massive science points (I don't know the exact number, but it definitely over 100k) to unlock all techs. However, among all strategies in your mod, most options give bonus in fund (even the science category), some of them are even need science points to setup or reduce science income.

The original strategy system has option to convert/balance the three 'resources (fund, rep and science)' income. but in your mod, most of weights moved to fund. I think it is not balanced.

The rep in original system is basically for converting into funds and science points. Your mod doesn't make use of it except for setup strategies.

So I wanted at first to argue with this, but after thinking about it and reviewing the strategies, there is a valid point here. Most of the strategies give funds or rep bonuses; the science bonuses are:

* Probe Frenzy: Small bonus to returned science from probes.

* Local Science: Huge bonuses to KSC/Kerbin science, but those have low base values. (Also, getting science from the KSC feels "cheap" to me.)

* Contract Slot Machine: If willing to push buttons long enough, you can get up to +200% science bonus from a contract. 

* Scientist Focus: Better return science from Survey Contracts, bonus to returned field science at Level 3, if scientist is present. Also boosts effective scientist level, so labs are more productive.

These give some interesting options, but wqt0806 is correct in that actual returned science is less easy to get than is it to just get funds or reputation, under these Strategies.

I might suggest that the crewed and uncrewed missions return a flat science bonus in addition to the current funds and reputation bonuses they currently provide. Reduce the return values of the funds/rep to prevent it from being a large buff to those strategies. I also wonder if there is a possibility for the inverse strategy of Tech Stagnation. That strategy boosts reputation bonuses at the cost of science. How about a strategy that reduces returns on funds and reputation in return for passive science creation?

Here's a sample concept strategy:  "Open Source Research". Description: "By opening up all of our data to the public, we can innovate faster than ever before. Our paid researchers won't be very happy about the competition and loss of prestige they usually get from authoring papers." Penalty to funds/rep rewards on contracts: -10% / level. Passively generates strategy_level science / day. (Eg. at level 2, generates 2 science per day). At level 3, also generates 0.5 science/day/functional lab. (Eg, you have three working labs up in space, you get a bonus 1.5 science/day.

Just my 0.2 funds.

Okay, well I tried my best to answer my own question before using up your time @nightingale (and failed).

For the Massive Scale Launches strategies (any of them), at what exact altitude do you need to reach to get credit for it? I have done #1 and #2 multiple times, and after every mission I notice I no longer have the strategy active in the administration building, so I assume that I completed it. Is that the case? Do the strategies work such that you must complete them in your next mission launch, like you've only got one shot at it, or it is wasted and that's it? Or are they disappearing from the admin building after I complete the mission and check because I completed them?

With that said, I have a very hard time actually determining if I received any money. A lot of times it feels like I haven't, but that of course isn't based on anything concrete, and as such can safely be ignored I suppose.

I tried checking the CFG files, but the Finances-2-MassiveLaunches,cfg doesn't seem to say anything about what altitude needs to be reached.

1) So what I really want to know is, does it only matter what the weight of the craft is on the launch pad, or do you have to actually still have 20+/75+/250+ tons as part of your craft by the time you reach orbit?

2) Do you only need to reach 70km (suborbital), or do you need to reach a fully stable orbit above 70km (orbital) to get credit for the strategy?

Edited by KocLobster

1 hour ago, KocLobster said:

Okay, well I tried my best to answer my own question before using up your time @nightingale (and failed).

For the Massive Scale Launches strategies (any of them), at what exact altitude do you need to reach to get credit for it? I have done #1 and #2 multiple times, and after every mission I notice I no longer have the strategy active in the administration building, so I assume that I completed it. Is that the case? Do the strategies work such that you must complete them in your next mission launch, like you've only got one shot at it, or it is wasted and that's it? Or are they disappearing from the admin building after I complete the mission and check because I completed them?

With that said, I have a very hard time actually determining if I received any money. A lot of times it feels like I haven't, but that of course isn't based on anything concrete, and as such can safely be ignored I suppose.

The strategy shouldn't go away.  If it is, almost guaranteed to mean there's some sort of exception, in which case a KSP.log file would help tremendously here.

@reapersms is exactly right you need to be in orbit (and that is whatever "orbit" means for your home planet, depending on what other mods you have installed).  In stock Kerbin, that is 70km by 70km, of course.

---

3 hours ago, maybemegan said:

I believe I've found a bug in Strategia. The vertical scrollbar in the Administration Building doesn't allow you to scroll, which isn't normally a problem, since all the strategies will fit in the vertical space if you're using the stock solar system, but if you add more bodies to the system, you can run out of vertical space for all of the new mission strategies.

For the screenshot and KSP.log, I used a clean install of KSP, added Strategia (plus dependencies), and added Kopernicus + OPM (to add enough planets to show the issue). No other mods are installed.

Screenshot showing the overflowing Crewed Missions column

KSP.log from the clean install I mentioned above

Totally a stock bug.  I've got something raised on the tracker somewhere, and I owe @NathanKell some more time trying to find the root cause, but haven't been able to do that yet.  I may also just have to implement some sort of workaround (more departments), but I'd like to spend some more time seeing if I can at least figure out what the underlying issue is before going down that path.  It's also possible to see this without adding planets if your resolution is lower than 1080p (I forget how much lower it has to be before its an issue).

---

11 hours ago, wqt0806 said:

Hello, nightingale. I like the concept of this mod. but after looked through all strategies, I'm not going to use this.

<snip>

3 hours ago, ibanix said:

So I wanted at first to argue with this, but after thinking about it and reviewing the strategies, there is a valid point here. Most of the strategies give funds or rep bonuses; the science bonuses are:

<snip>

Just my 0.2 funds.

This is really good feedback from both of you.  First off, I want to say that I'm very hesitant to give too much science, as I don't want to make it too easy to go through the tech tree (although having CTT installed does change this dynamic too).  I'm also a strong believer in the idea that science in KSP should mainly come from "doing science", which is why a lot of the Science strategies work by giving the player an economic incentive to do something that will get them more science through experiments (see "To Boldly Go").  Actually, something that would work well with that mindset would be giving early access to higher tier experiments (I'll have to keep that in mind for the next release.

I also want to say that I really, really dislike the "change currency X into currency Y" strategies of stock KSP (and was one of the main motivations for writing this mod).  Of course, there's the issue that science is useless once tech is all researched, but I think turning science into funds is a poor solution.

That being said, there is definitely some room for a little more science out of the strategies.  Will give it some thought when I'm doing the next release (no idea when that would be).

11 hours ago, wqt0806 said:

I don't know if you are still twerking this mod [...]

ಠ_ಠ

ago, wqt0806 said:

twerking this mod [...]

ಠ_ಠ

[just kidding around, of course]