Your KSP Story

Choctofliatrio2.0

3 minutes ago, TopHeavy11 said:

Simple: I loved space. Found article in a magazine. Thought "This is my type of game!" Bought demo. Loved it. Bought full version. Had to learn. I did it.

That sounds familiar!

Saw a (very) early version mentioned in PC Gamer. Thought 'that looks interesting' but didn't do anything about it for a while. Needed a new game to play a few months later, decided to look up KSP. A free demo running under MacOSX made trying it out a complete no-brainer. After much learning, consulting of wikis and watching of one tutorial (made by somebody I'm trying desperately to remember), I managed to get to the Mún and back (although without landing).

Decided this was a game I had to buy. Bought it.

• 1 month later...

Obsessed with Space sims like Freelancer,  played space strategies like EVE Online and X3 Reunion. Spent around 500 hours in Space Rangers HD.

Been watching Star Citizen vids on youtube and stumbled upon vids by Scott Manley. It was around the beginning of his "KSP Interstellar" series. Couldn't figure out what language was Scott speaking, all those "prograde, apoapsis, interstage, Jebediah ..." words didn't ring a bell. I was skimming through his vids, but decided to watch one from the beginning to the end, that's when I got hooked up. Was googling for "must have mods for KSP" and found these forums. Still have the 0.23 folder with mods from Stardock. The Hangar mod by @allista inspired me to learn modelling and texturing. These skills came quite relevant when I modelled my house in Blender with all the furniture I wanna buy, my family was very happy to see it visualized.

I made many friends on the forums and fell in love with the community :3

Edited by Enceos

My story is a bit odd thinking about it now. I remember I was looking around youtube, and stumbled on to the "ksp cluster bomb" (or whatever the title is) and thought to myself "I could totally do that!" Started watching more videos of people making planes (with what I know now as made using the mod KAX), and " pre 0.90 boats" if you can call them that lol. I saw it more of a flight simulator than a rocket simulator. So I impulse bought it and sadly realized there's no propeller engines and these so called "boats" didn't work as I intended (now knowing those were modded game videos). So time went on, still kind of bummed about my purchase. After a few weeks I figured I'd give it another shot, and I don't know what happened but everything just seemed to click, and I was addicted. Been playing regularly since, pre 0.9(not too sure on which version I started in).

I have been an Orbiter user since 2001. By 2003 I was already quite active in that community, making Apollo-related addons (actually more of enhancement packs for other addons/mods) and scenery for the Apollo landing sites on the moon. Then my interest in Orbiter waned for a few years, and one day (I think this was in 2011), after I released a new addon for Orbiter (Enhanced Brighton Beach) I read a thread about Harvester (one of the forum members in the Orbiter Forums) working on his own space-game. When I saw that it was about "little green men" I immediately dismissed it, thinking it was some kind of arcadish thing (boy was I wrong). Fast forward to January of 2013, I decided to try out the demo, and realized how fascinating it was, and bought the game sometime in May 2013.

Friday evening, 11h45pm....  Chatting with the folks on the first StarCitizen chat back then, not having much to talk about and wondering what I am in the mood for.
A guy named "Dr.Hawk" posts a link of a stream he is doing... why not.  I click on it

This appears to be a small pod orbiting a moon replica.   Chat just convinced him to land on "the dark side of the moon".  The guy pulls it off (he had packed lights on a 4-LVN lander), descend a little green man on the surface, plant a flag, and does the voyage back to this earth-analog, and lands on it no problem while roleplaying that the landing site is now irradiated for the next 50 years.

- "What is this game?", I asked.
"That, Francois, is Kerbal Space Program", and he posts a link to the old KSP store.

I go there, 20$...  Heck why not.
The rest is history :wink:

A friend of mine suggested it to me after we watched Gravity in theaters. Didn't think it would be fun, got kind of annoyed by his incessant ramblings about it. The next year the movie Interstellar came out, I got really interested in space objects, I tried the demo version and played it for twelve hours straight. I pirated the full version (icky, I know) until I got paid three days later and bought a copy for myself and a copy for my girlfriend. (Self justifying the pirating by buying two copies... I think she's played it a total of ten hours.) Months later I started creating mods, and I played it every waking moment for like the next year. Within that year, the KSP facebook page has mentioned two or three of my mods, my KSP music project, and a KSP painting of mine. Now that same friend gets annoyed of me when I send him ramblings about my space stuff.

Side note, KSP totally inspired an intense obsession with math and science. I failed Algebra three times in College before I stopped going to attend film school instead. Now I'm doing orbital mechanics, physics, most of the storage on my phone are science articles from Harvard and University of Arizona, building tiny circuit boards for radio controlled servos and I'm considering going back to college to pursue either physics or electrical engineering.

Edited by -ctn-

THE YEAR WAS ONE OF THE 2000S I REALLY DON'T REMEMBER PLZ DON'T JUDGE 

I was a simple space enthusiast who was looking for something to listen to while at the YMCA exercising... I was thinking about space stations at the time and I looked up future space station, it directed me to a Bigalow space station video and while watching it I thought, man wouldn't it be cool if there was a game like this?  Once the video had finished a video by SuestraGaming popped up, the laythe station (At the time I had no clue what it was so I watched it).  Once the screen had shown a massive space station with full control, I was hooked.  I saw the station and immediately looked up the game.  I eventually got bored of watching videos of it (my computer at the time wouldn't have been able to run it very well with a gt 550) and lost interest.  A while later I was watching a buran documentary and in one of the recommended videos was KurtJMac's old KSP video where he tried to build a space shuttle.   At the time I had gotten a better computer and immediately went and got the demo (which at the time was still like ksp 0.13) and kept playing it and playing it almost every day.  After playing it for months I finally decided "eh, screw it" and bought the game.  I swear I spent a good 3 hours a day playing it (I had like 5 free hours).  Over time I have developed muh l33t KSP skillz and have started on cinematics.  I have still yet to be bored :)

Fin

Edited by TheKSPDesigner

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.