[1.2.2] Phoenix Industries ³Sat (CubeSat mod) (v2.2, compatible with TweakScale and MechJeb)

-ctn-

Hey everyone, sorry for the absence. I've been really busy with my podcast, school, a new short film, and finding composing work.

I've tested this against 1.2.2 and everything seems to work, so if you have been waiting for a new update, no need! The current version works perfectly.

is there a way to make cubesats smaller without TweakScale? cubesats arent really small or tiny. i mean... cubesats are supposed to be small enough for bigger sounding rockets. i need a proper falcon 9 (ghidorah 9 from tundra exploration) to launch a 'small' cubesat. my first expectation was ability to use 0.625 or even 0.35 rockets as upper stages. apart from the size, its a great mod. models are amazing and ability to add small engines into the cubesats is great (tiny is the biggest size of a cubesat i will ever need. small is just an overkill)

There is an issue when trying to install the Phoenix Industry mods via CKAN (don't know if you are the one who mainains the metadata or now, so reporting it here). Each mod will attempt to overwrite the "CTN/Agencies" directory; CKAN will see this as an error even if all of the PI mods were installed via CKAN.

• 5 weeks later...

I add my 2cents in here.

The mod would be total awesomeness if it weren't for the overall dimensions of all parts that are way out of scale, unfortunately.

From Wikipedia: "A CubeSat (U-class spacecraft[1]) is a type of miniaturized satellite for space research that is made up of multiples of 10×10×11.35 cm cubic units."

Your sats are like meters wide! :-o

For example the tiny solar panels are bigger than the basic solar panels. And the tiny science pack is as large as a normal rocket (1.25 meter?). The small variants of all parts are even bigger (2.5 meters).

That doesn't really go with the concept of a cube sat :) So perhaps the name is misleading?

However, if you would allow all parts to be tweakable even more than what's possible right now, it might be possible to have some realistic CubeSats (which are supposed to be small and reasonably cheap). And that would be just great.

Anyway, thanks for the mod :)

I'm well aware of real-world sizes of cubesats. The scope of this mod was to replicate the look of cubesats while creating as much functionality as possible. Hence, they are hollow inside for stock rocket parts to be put in. This way you can create your own square satellite (think Dawn, Osiris-Rex) with whatever fuel, science, or batteries you needed. 

For those that wish they were smaller, you can use TweakScale to shrink them down. 

The issue with making them lifesize, or smaller, is that it ruins that functionality. You could no longer use them to build other satellites, but instead use them for a single purpose - which I don't like. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 23/02/2017 at 5:49 PM, -ctn- said:

I'm well aware of real-world sizes of cubesats. The scope of this mod was to replicate the look of cubesats while creating as much functionality as possible. Hence, they are hollow inside for stock rocket parts to be put in. This way you can create your own square satellite (think Dawn, Osiris-Rex) with whatever fuel, science, or batteries you needed. 

For those that wish they were smaller, you can use TweakScale to shrink them down. 

The issue with making them lifesize, or smaller, is that it ruins that functionality. You could no longer use them to build other satellites, but instead use them for a single purpose - which I don't like. 

That's fine. But then it would be better if you didn't call them cubesat :wink:

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.