RCS Powered Aviation

For some reason, I like to build small planes. Don\'t know why, but all of my planes are relatively small. So, a few days ago, when I was fiddling around with planes, I wondered if replacing the regular fuel and engine with RCS tanks and RCS port would allow me to build smaller. Well, best inquiry ever! Here\'s the proof of concept space plane:

screenshot8-1.png

screenshot7-1.png

screenshot9-1.png

Unmanned, Minimal, VTOL, and a PAIN to actually fly! I had to slap on the kosmos ASAS just to keep it flying straight. But it was RCS powered. This thing stays airborne pretty long and if I allow it to keep climbing in altitude, this thing can easily go orbital, all on just RCS power. I actually got this thing to slingshot shot around the moon then crash land back on kerbin!

And here is what three days of work would give you.

screenshot10-1.png

screenshot11-1.png

screenshot4.png

Perfection. It can do everything the proof of concept can do and fly. Craft file will be posted on bottom. You will need Probodobodyne, novapunch, c7s aviation pack,kosmos, bigtrack, and vanilla parts ???

Now the challenge here is pretty simple. Build your own RCS plane! Show them off in here. And honorable mentions will be given to unique designs.

Rules: No mod restrictions

Must be able to take off and land

Must be easy to fly; balanced well; asas not permitted (avianics sas allowed)

Can\'t lose any parts; must be one solid plane; no staging or decoupling

RCS must only be used for thrust, it can\'t be used to aide stability or take-off and landing

Honorable mentions (I think I might just mention everyone who beats the challenge; everyone\'s winners in my opinion :), and it would be fun to create the reason\'s why :P)

1. Duckunlimited2\'s 'Triangle' for the first successful RCS powered Space plane

2. RedDwarfIV\'s 'Scoot' for excellent use in part modification skill to make a small enough command module

3. Vostok\'s 'Biplane' for creatively merging early 20th century design and looks, with modern virtualware

4. TheMattyPrince\'s 'Parachute Plane' for having an incredible close flyby of the launch tower

5. Saaur\'s 'almost stock plane' for having an attractive sparkly nose on his design

6. Phoenix Aerospace\'s 'Swift Mk.I' for denouncing physics and proving we can fly in the vacuum of space

7. Shhhilent1\'s 'little jet' for an unconventional design that leaves ze kerbals, battered, bruised, and stranded, but alive

8. Excalibur\'s 'Mosquito' for being a 400m/s annoyance complemented with its own catchy theme song

9. Excalibur\'s 'Hawk Moth' for winning an Oscar for 'Most Innovative Film On Alternative Powered Flight

etc, etc

Now go and make me beautiful planes my minions! =P

The Veto Aerospace Scoot one-Kerbal RCS-powered aircraft. Twin-tailed. I made a nosecone into a command pod.

The Scoot is capable of takeoff, flight up to at least Mach 2, and landing. Landing should be unpowered, although power is required to pull out of dives.

The Veto Aerospace Scoot one-Kerbal RCS-powered aircraft. Twin-tailed. I made a nosecone into a command pod.

The Scoot is capable of takeoff, flight up to at least Mach 2, and landing. Landing should be unpowered, although power is required to pull out of dives.

XD laggy vid! dont feel bad tho, thats my average frame rate! XD

Nice airplane btw.

Kosmos RCS packs around a Probodobodyne [i can say it!] strut, with a [useless] Avionics Package on one end, and a .cfg edited nosecone part [i modded the texture!]. It has 4 C7 Heavy RCS ports. The rest is stock.

And Vostok, that\'s a nice plane.

Ladies and Gentlekerbs, I present the Swift Mk.I! Tipping the scales at only 4.6 tons, it\'s tiny, efficient, fun, and capable of achieving a 200 km orbit with plenty of fuel to spare. See the attatched catalog for extra photos and order form.

Phoenix Aerospace - Space for All!

Parts packs needed : Kosmos, Mechjeb

Welcome to my little jet! it rotates at 90 M/s and is quite stable!

TEdQM.png

It even has the fixed camera mod so you can get a view from the front where the ASAS is!

We put the cockpit at the back for this reason:

7PSyf.png

As you can see, the main body broke apart, leaving the cockpit behind, if it was at the front, the back would have broken off, and youd be sent flying outa control and crashing!

Welcome to my little jet! it rotates at 90 M/s and is quite stable!

TEdQM.png

It even has the fixed camera mod so you can get a view from the front where the ASAS is!

We put the cockpit at the back for this reason:

7PSyf.png

As you can see, the main body broke apart, leaving the cockpit behind, if it was at the front, the back would have broken off, and youd be sent flying outa control and crashing!

facepalm forgot the .craft! sorry! here it is!

I\'ve also been making small aircraft as they\'re the most aerobatic. :) You inspired me to go smaller though and thus I present the \'Mosquito.\'

Weighs a paltry 690kg fully fuelled in flight, though in a bid to save weight it does not have any landing gear. It must use a motorcycle to assist on take-off and I wouldn\'t advise trying to land it!

I discovered a game bug with this and other small aircraft I\'ve made. In extreme high-G turns the vehicle will actually accelerate hard, even with no RCS thrust applied. It will reach over 400m/s at low level in a tight turn. I am guessing this is something to do with the infinite glide bug - though it may be unrelated.

Uses the following mods;

Probodobodyne for struts and command pod

Sarkun\'s Hope Shuttle Canards

NovaPunch for the Explosive Bolt decoupler and RCS Tank (I think)

Bigtrak for the Motorbike

-snip

I discovered a game bug with this and other small aircraft I\'ve made. In extreme high-G turns the vehicle will actually accelerate hard, even with no RCS thrust applied. It will reach over 400m/s at low level in a tight turn. I am guessing this is something to do with the infinite glide bug - though it may be unrelated.

-snip-

:o what? (goes into ksp and does it) EPIC.

I\'ve also been making small aircraft as they\'re the most aerobatic. :) You inspired me to go smaller though and thus I present the \'Mosquito.\'

Weighs a paltry 690kg fully fuelled in flight, though in a bid to save weight it does not have any landing gear. It must use a motorcycle to assist on take-off and I wouldn\'t advise trying to land it!

Would be great for exploring the atmosphere of a jovian, whenever those are implemented. :3

Two problems with the Mosquito:

The former may be exusable if \'would not recommend trying to land\' means it is possible. but you can\'t use the motorcycle, because it violates the latter rule.

The former may be exusable if \'would not recommend trying to land\' means it is possible. but you can\'t use the motorcycle, because it violates the latter rule.

I disagree, with the lift that if seems to be getting, I think the mosquito would be able to take off and land with the motorcycle attached but it just flies better without it, so he decouples it.

Fair points - I know the \'Mozzy\' isn\'t quite a true aircraft. It will fly with the bike attached but nowhere near as well as it does without. Landing is possible but very difficult without the whole thing exploding.

I mainly wanted to show people how small you could build an aircraft (I\'ve since made smaller and more agile would you believe) and also demonstrate the strange high-G acceleration bug.

C7 has informed me that it is indeed the \'infini-glide\' bug at work. So really the craft is a bit unfair anyway as it exploits an in-game bug.

If it keeps you happy RedDwarf I\'ll create a fairer entry. :)

BTW I\'m guessing IV is your favourite series? I must have watched every episode a hundred times. The early ones are the best!

I present the Hawk Moth RCS Aerobatic Aircraft:

Stable and fun to fly whilst also being extremely agile. In the version shown it has seven Linear RCS ports for power at the expense of endurance; the best strategy is to apply power only when needed and glide as much as possible. Needs no assists for take-off or landing.

D73MR.jpg

c37En.jpg

Uses the following mods;

Probodobodyne

Silisko Edition 2

Forward Swept Wing

Damned Robotics

C7 Flight Pack 3

Camera Mod

MechJeb

Music: Jimi Hendrix - Driving South

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.